Jackson to Middlebury | Teen Ink

Jackson to Middlebury

By efiore BRONZE, Valley Cottage, New York
efiore BRONZE, Valley Cottage, New York

Michael Winslow grabbed his mother’s box of kitchen appliances and hauled it into the house.
“That’s the last of it” said Michael.
After their day and a half long road trip, from Jackson Mississippi to Middlebury Vermont, Michael and his mother were tired, and in need of a hearty meal. The two made their way down to the nearest restaurant to eat lunch. The restaurant was called “Alan’s Salad’s” and as Michael began to browse the menu, he became confused.
“Where is the cornbread, the ribs, the sweet tea? What is kale?” said Michael.
It was now when Michael and his mother began to notice the major differences between the north and the south. Previously to their move to the north, the mother and son were living a content life in Jackson Mississippi. Michel’s mother - Leanne, had a job as a secretary for the law firm “Jackson’s finest.” She detested her job, and when the University of Vermont offered her a job as a secretary, she was quick to accept, moving out of her home town within days after quitting her previous job. Michael did not have a job back in Mississippi, nor did he play sports. He spent most of his time at the Church praying and asking God for forgiveness. For Michael was a delinquent, who started hanging with the wrong crowd after his father’s death. Leanne was very aware of Michael’s actions and she is constantly explaining to him that being loyal to God isn’t going to make up for all the crimes he has committed.
After a long look at the menu, the two looked each other in the eye and in unison, they both said: “Let's get out of here.”
After a home-cooked meal and a full-night’s sleep, Michael awoke and rose out of bed. His mother had prepared his favorite meal; eggs and grits.
“Ready for your first day of school?” asked Leanne.
Michael had completely forgotten about school, and at this moment he became brittle. He had heard rumors about the northeast, and how the schools were notorious for their difficult tests and harsh grading policies.
“I’m a bit nervous, but I’m ready.” responded Michael.

As he arrived at school, Michael began to notice that the atmosphere is much different than that of his old school. The building seemed relatively new, and everybody seemed to be very integrated, almost as if here no social groups. This was because there is a mere 400 students at Middlebury High School, in contrast to his previous school - Murrah High School, which had a vast student population of 3,000 kids. Michael was not approached by anyone, and he proceeded to his first class in a content manner.
He found a seat in the back of his english classroom, secluding himself from the rest of the class. As the period commenced, his teacher was quick to point out that there was a new student: “Looks like we have a new student.” he said exuberantly. “My name is Mr. Hemsworth, why don’t you introduce yourself? Give us a brief synopsis on how you live your life, son.”
Mr Hemsworth struck Michael as an oddball, but Michael was more than happy to introduce himself.
“My name is Michael Winslow, I am from Jackson Mississippi, umm… my hobbies include browsing the web and playing video games, and I am a man of God!” Michael said buoyantly.
A few student in the classroom began to chuckle, while others turned to their fellow classmates to whisper, even Mr. Hemsworth let out a brief giggle. Michael was perplexed by the reaction of his classmates, for this never happened at his old school, in fact, Christianity was often the topic of discussion. Michael was very serious about his faith, so he tried hard to keep his anger under control.
“Well as you may know, this is a public school, Mr. Winslow, so it is an obligation of mine to attain a secular environment in the classroom.” said Mr Hemsworth in response.
“God isn’t real!” blurted out a classmate in an attempt to tinker with Michael’s emotions.
“What did you just say?” said Michael contentiously.
“You heard me, I said there is no such thing as God.” said the classmate.
Michael took that comment to heart and quickly got up out of his desk and ferociously lunged at the student. Michael laid siege upon his classmate, barbarically  pounding his fists at the face and chest of the student. After a few seconds, the fight had been broken up, but it was too late, the boy’s body was shrouded in blood, and there were  several gashes upon his mouth and nose. The maimed classmate began to curse and shout at Michael, then the whole class, including Mr. Hemsworth began to rebuke Michael. Although there was much commotion, Michael’s mind was numb, and adrenaline was flowing through his veins. All of the sudden, he felt a hand clasp his forearm and before he could process it, he was being handcuffed and escorted out of the school.

After a dreadful ride in the back of a police vehicle, Michael arrived at the Addison County Jail, where he was un-cuffed and placed in a cell. Upon his mother’s arrival his charges would be discussed, but as time wore on, his hopes grew smaller. Seven hours elapsed and the officers were still unable to contact Ms. Winslow.
About another hour had passed and the jailhouse was getting very quiet. Just then, the front door fluttered open, and in walked Leanne Winslow. From where Michael was being held, he couldn’t hear what his mother was saying, but he tried his best to make out the conversation between her and the officer at the front desk. After briefly speaking with a few of the officers, Ms. Winslow quickly departed, not even making eye contact with her son. Michael was baffled, for he had been in confrontations involving the police before and he was always dependant on his mother to bail him out. Three officers trotted toward his cell and Michael got up and began to state his claims: “There must be some mistake, I sho-”
“You’re doing time kid.” an officer shouted.
“Your mother has decided not to pay your bail, so you are stuck here for two days.” said the one female officer.
Michael’s heart plummeted into a somber abyss. “Jail?” he thought to himself. “I don’t deserve this, I attacked that kid for a reason.”
The three officers escorted Michael out of current cell, to the one where he would be held for the next five days. Although he was very apprehensive, Michael was also very curious to meet his cellmate. The officers stopped in the middle of the hallway and pointed toward cell 36. “You will be spending the next five days here Mr. Winslow, weather you like it or not.”
Michael examined the cell, it didn’t seem out of the ordinary, in fact the cell seemed relatively new, and clean. As he continued to inspect his temporary home, he noticed movement on the bottom bunk.
“Eduardo! Get up!” screamed an officer.
On the officer’s demand Eduardo got up. He strutted toward the cell door and seized up Michael. Eduardo was about 6 foot 8 and 350 pounds, and was covered head-to-toe in tattoos. “Watcha’ do, steal some candy bro?” Eduardo said to Michael.
“ I got into a fight.” Michael said sullenly.
The officers unlocked the cell door and threw Michael in, leaving him alone with Eduardo; one of the jail’s most dangerous men, who was serving a 2-year sentence for assaulting an officer. Michael took a seat in the far corner of the room, as far away from Eduardo as possible.
“So you like to fight, huh?” asked Eduardo.
“No, not really.” responded Michael.
“Then why did you get into a fight?” asked Eduardo sternly.
“I fight with reason.” said Michael. “I beat the kid up because he mocked my faith.”
“Ah, you’re a holy roller? said Eduardo. “Are you a Christian?”
“Yes, a very proud Christian.” said Michael.
Eduardo pointed at his tattoos. Michael examined them and came to realize that all of them were related to Christianity. He noticed one that he particularly liked; it was a drawing of Jesus touching a wounded man and healing him. Michael enjoyed this tattoo because it correlated with his beliefs that Jesus was a healer, and that Jesus would forgive him for his sins as long as he stayed loyal. Suddenly, all the lights flickered off and the cell became pitch black.
“What’s happening?” asked Michael.
“Shut up and go to bed!” said Eduardo

After tending to his wounds, Eduardo escorted Michael to their cell.
“Again with this fighting crap man? What was it this time?” asked Eduardo.
“I felt threatened by the Aryan Brotherhood, I had no other choice, it was like they were mocking me for my religious beliefs with those stupid satanic tattoos.” said the anxious Michael.
“Hey, you gotta chill homie, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.” said Eduardo
“Well their beliefs are freakin’ stupid.” said Michael in a stubborn manner.
“Listen man, from Christian to Christian; God put us on this earth to make peace with one another, the last thing he wants to see, is us fighting our brothers. You need to learn to accept the fact that everyone has different beliefs. This is the second time in just a matter of hours you’ve gotten into a religious confrontation.” 
“I suppose I could be a bit more tolerant.” said Michael
“If you keep up this stubborn attitude, you are gonna end up like me. Being a good person is more important than being loyal to God, because no matter how loyal you are, at the end of the day a criminal is a criminal. I hope you’ve learned your lesson man, ‘cause you’ve got a lot to look forward to in life, homie.” said Eduardo.
Suddenly, an officer entered their cell:
“Michael Winslow?” said the officer.
“Yeah.” responded Michael.
“Your time is up, if you could just follow me to the front office, that would be great.” said the officer.
Michael got up, and walked at a posthaste pace, following the officer.
Just as he was about to exit his cell he turned around and said: “Hey, Eduardo, thank you. I’ve learned a lot in the past day thanks to you, I really appreciate it.”
“I’m just looking out for you kid. Stay out of trouble.” Eduardo shouted as Michael was escorted out of the cell.
The officer escorted Michael to the front desk and out of the jail where he was met by his mother. He greeted his mother with a vehement hug.
“I’m sorry, I’m sorry.” Michael said repeatedly.
“I just hope you have learned your lesson.” said Leanne.
“I sure did” said the emotional Michael as tears rolled down his cheeks.
“I understand that it is different up here in Vermont.” said Leanne
“But we are going to have to learn to adapt. This is a group effort Michael, I cannot do it without you.”
“I promise I will always be there for you.” Michael responded.
“I’ve learned that sometimes you have to do what is socially acceptable, even if it is antithetical of your personal beliefs.” said Michael.
The mother son made their way to Leanne Winslow’s car.
“Up for some ‘Dave’s Salads?’” asked Michael
Leanne smiled and turned to Michael and said: “How about a home cooked meal, southern-style, just the way you like it.”

“Michael Winslow?” said the officer.
“Yeah.” responded Michael.