Home > Novel (Fiction) > Realistic Fiction > Happiness is Overrated

Happiness is Overrated

Macey M.
Happiness is Overrated
Summary:

Auburn Reed is your average senior wallflower.  She is just another fish in the rough waters of life.  However, it is her fears that set her apart.  Well, her fear.

Cherophobia.

Happiness is virtually a disease to Auburn ever since a traumatic event struck her life four years before.  This fear has kept her feeling alone and separated.  Well, it used to.

AC Dawson might just be able to give Auburn pure happiness, but will his own conflicts tear them both apart?

This book has 15 comments. Post your own now!

ellwist said...
Just read the second chapter, and good God I'm in love with this book.

kingofwriters said...
My feedback for this is on the thread!

pepsi.rules8 said...
I like the idea, and your style is great. You really sucked me into the story! The only thing I would suggest would be to hold off a little on the reveal about your character's probia. It just didn't feel very realistic for your protagonist to tell someone she had just met something so personal. Other than that I thought it was fantastic :)

drwholockLoki101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 23, 2015 at 9:22 am
THIS IS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I love the description and the way you handled the characters phobia, although, she laughs at one point in this chapter, and isn't laughing sort of a happy thing? I have no idea whether it would be considered a happy thing in this situation or not. Also I agree with Beila, the phone conversation seemed just a little bit staged. Other than that it was really good! I hope you plan on publishing it some day!

MPMento replied...
Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated!

BeilaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
:) This is one of those "one step forward, one step back" kind of moments. Yes, you gave us more Auburn! She's awesome, and she has a real family, and her sister's got a name, and I'm totally connected to her now. But... what happened to the dialogue? The phone conversation felt staged, like you were pushing the characters to say lines rather than just letting them talk. The end of the chapter would have been fabulous longer- we needed more natural banter between the two. I'm bummed to say that ... (more »)

MPMento replied...
You don't know how grateful I am for your critique. Honestly! So sorry about the tenses, don't know why I'm doing that. And thanks for everything, I'll work with what you said.

ellwist said...
May 1, 2015 at 10:04 am
Can I just say I love odd phobias and mental disorders? Because I do. This is amazing, very well written. I especially liked how nobody believed her. I feel bad for Auburn, really--does the fact she's afraid of happiness means she's never happy? I'd just like to ask, sorry for being ignorant. Anyway, love the story! Hope you update this soon.

MPMento replied...
Haha thank you very much! And to answer your whole happy-or-not-happy thing: She sometimes feels happiness, but as soon as she does, she has a minor to severe panic attack. It is possible for her to be happy, but it has almost become impossible since her body and mind have pushed it away for so long. Thanks again!

Your concept is both brilliant and unique. You could really take this idea far. I love AC's character, though I'm not sure if I'm sold on Auburn (although I love her name). I think you have to work extra hard to make her believable because the whole concept of cherophobia seems so bizarre to must of us on Teen Ink (I assume). I think hearing more of her thoughts outside of the panic attack could help. In other words, ground her in reality before you make her different; otherwise, it's hard to re... (more »)

MPMento replied...
That stuff on Auburn is extremely helpful, so thank you so so so so much for that! Sorry about the tenses, I haven't fully re-read all of it (since I have more in progress). To be honest, AC is my favorite character as well :). I really appreciate all of the constructive criticism and the compliments! Thank you so much!

Beck-BeckThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is amazing. Honestly, I can't wait for you to write more. I was kind of disappointed there wasn't a whole book. Can't wait to read it!!

MPMento replied...
Apr. 26, 2015 at 8:34 am
Thanks! I'll keep adding chapters!

CNBono17This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
This is building up to something, I can tell. I like the idea; it's really unique, I've never heard of anyone who's actually afraid of happiness. I'd guess that AC is going to change that just by being nice. I like it, it's good! My only comment: decide whether you want to spell AC's brother's name as Riley or Reilly, 'cause you used both. Aside from that, I will be looking for the "more to come"! :)

MPMento replied...
Sorry about the Reilly/Riley thing! Didn't even realize! Thanks so much anyway, and I'm glad you liked it!