I Never Would Have Thought | Teen Ink

I Never Would Have Thought

By emilyc400, San Diego, California
emilyc400, San Diego, California

A fifteen year old girl,I live a normal life. My name is Rose, Rose Smith. I was born and raised in gloomy Seattle,Washington. Most of my family and all of my friends are here. Both of my parents grew up here and went to the same high school I am about to start. I couldn't see myself living anywhere else, I love it here. I want the same experiences my parents had when they were my age growing up in Seattle because they have told me many good stories.
My dads name is Tom. He is a well known lawyer in Seattle, the most handsome lawyer i've seen. He works most of the time. Ever since I was a little girl my dad would play soccer with me in the backyard on the days it wasn't raining and the days he could get off of work. Soccer was his passion just like its mine.
My moms name is Annie. She was diagnosed with cancer last year, she has been a stay at home mom ever since. Her cancer hasn't been life threatening, but its been very close and been a scare to all of us. Every night I think to myself how lucky I am to have still have my mom with me because I never know what can happen with cancer. I have a very close and unique relationship with my parents. 
My grandma, my moms mom, lives a couple minutes away. She lives alone ever since my grandpa passed away five years ago. Im close to my grandma, I like hanging out with her because I know how hard it must be living by yourself. She is my only grandparent that lives by me.
My dads parents live in San Diego, California. I only see them in the summer. I love going to visit them and the beautiful place they live.
Ever since my mom was diagnosed with cancer my friends have been my biggest supporters ( besides my family). They don't know what its like going through this but they do know how to comfort me and make bad situations some what better for me.
I grew up here playing a sport I loved, soccer. I was on the best team in the state with my best friends Amy, Olivia, and Taylor, the girls I called my sisters.These girls are the ones that make me happy when i'm sad, and when one of us has a problem we are all there for eachother. We all played for our local high school varsity soccer team. Every weekend my friends and I would have a girls night sleepover. We talk about soccer and boys, watch movies, eat sweets and stay up all night.
Amy is the oldest out of the four of us. Shes pretty tall, with long brown hair and brown eyes. She moved to seattle when she was eight years old. A few years later we all were put on the same soccer team for the YMCA team that we played for.
Olivia is the youngest one, She is short but never underestimate her because she is a beast at soccer. She has blonde hair with big blue eyes. She was born and raised in Seattle, Washington and was my neighborhood friend when we were little. Olivia moved to a different house in the town and after that we never really talked. A few years later we were on the same soccer team with the other two girls and everything changed.
Taylor and I are ten days apart, i'm the  older one. We have known eachother since pre school and always have been friends but not nearly as close as we are now. She has long wavy brown hair like me with green eyes. People say we could be related. 

"Are you ready for your first day of high school Rose?" Asked my dad.
I didn't say anything, I just looked at the big school as we pulled up.
It was my first day and I was so nervous but excited to start a new chapter in my life, the four years everyone says is the best.
"High school was the best four years of my life, I figured out who I was. I tried many new things. I met the love of my life, your mother. I fell in love with soccer, just like you have Rose,” my dad went on.
I sat there and thought about what my dad said. It kind of made me more scared, a part of me was still excited. I want to start a great soccer courier when I'm in high school.
“Dad, I have to go meet up with my friends before school starts,” I said as I rushed out of the car.
“Have a great first day of high school!” my dad said as I was shutting the door.
“Thank you, I will take into consideration what you said,” I said.
I walked to the front of the school where I saw my group of friends standing there talking.
“Hi guys!” I said as I walked up to the group. I gave everyone a hug, we all looked so nice in our new outfits for school.
“Rose, are you excited?” my friend Josh asked. He is my other friend that plays soccer, he's also really good. My whole group of friends all played soccer thats why we had such a special bond.
“Yes, I am excited but a little nervous, do we have any classes together Josh?” I asked.
Josh and I had two classes together, it was spanish and math. I was happy I found out that my friends were in some of my classes.
The bell rang and everyone started walking to class, all the hundreds of kids that were in the school passed each other in the hallway. It was like this huge mob. We didn't have that in middle school, nothing close to it.
My first class was Spanish. When I walked in the teacher let us sit wherever we want, so me and Josh sat right next to eachother. The teacher began speaking and it was all in Spanish, I couldn't comprehend what he was saying but I went along with it.
"Hola!" the spanish teacher was talking to the whole class.
"Hola señior!" the whole class replied back. Well atleast the ones that knew how to speak spanish.
Josh and I started giggling, we had no idea what he was saying.
     After sitting there bored for awhile the bell rang and we all got up and walked out of the class.
"We survived our first Spanish class," I said to Josh. We both laughed and walked our separate ways.
I was on my way to my second class hoping I wasn't going to get lost. My second period was art. I love art, I always catch myself doodling when I'm bored. When I have a lot of time I like to draw and paint big pictures and hang them in my room. We made sketchbooks and decorated them with things that describes us. I drew a soccer ball, my family and friends, also a picture of Seattle since that is where I am from. The bell rang and art was over.
My third period came along and it was math. Math is my best subject. In middle school I got the highest test scores out of my whole grade. My friends called me a nerd for that.
Today  in math class we didn't do anything except go over the syllabus like every teacher does. They all basically say the same thing I never got why we got so many.
It was fourth period and so far I liked all my classes and all my teachers. Fourth period was english, it wasn't my best subject and I didn't enjoy it too much. I wasn't into reading books for fun I was more of  a sports girl. My english teacher talked about what we were going to do throughout the year, and one thing she mentioned was writing a novel. I made a face and started laughing because that really doesn't sound fun.
The bell rang once again, it was now lunch. I walked to my locker with Amy and the first thing I saw was a cute boy. I couldn't help but to stare at him. He has the prettiest blue eyes,dirty blond hair, and he was tall.
“Oh my gosh, look at him,” Amy whispered.
“Look at him, he has such pretty eyes, there so blue,” I said.
“He’s so tall, look at his smile, and that dirty blonde hair,” Amy replied.
He started walking the same way as us and soon enough we were at the lockers.
“Excuse me,” I said as I was trying to get to my locker.
“Oh am I in your way?” the cute boy asked as he got out of the way of my locker.
“Yes but its fine” I giggled.
Next thing I know my books fell out of my hands and were on the floor, I felt so embarrassed. I bent over to pick up my books.
     “Let me help you with that.” the cute boy said.
It felt like one of those high school movies where the girl drops her books and the boy she thinks is hot helps her out. I couldn't help but to blush.
“My name is Nick, what's your name?” he asked. 
“My name is Rose, nice to meet you,” I replied as I was blushing.
Nick handed me my books that he picked up on the floor.
“Well, it was nice to meet you, maybe I'll see you around,” he said as he was walking away. 
Amy looked at me and gave me the biggest smile as she was waiting for me to get done at my locker. I smiled back even bigger.
We ran up to Olivia and Taylor and told them about this boy that we just saw and I just talked to.
"He talked to me!" I was so excited, " I dropped my books on the ground and he picked them up for me, he said he would see me around sometime," I went on.
“Who is he?” Olivia asked 
“I dont know, I will point him out next time I see him,” I told them.
The whole forty five minutes of lunch was all talk about cute boys because thats all we saw at this school. I couldn't stop thinking about this boy.
The lunch bell rang and it was time for sixth period. I had science for sixth period.
My teacher dressed up as Albert Einstein. I think he thought it was funny, but i'm not sure if everyone thought that. At first I thought thats what he really looked like until he told us it was a joke.
This class was so boring all he did was talk and he said we would be taking a lot of notes this year. It was the first day of school and I already fell asleep. I woke up to the bell ringing and it was the last period of the day.
Seventh period I had soccer p.e. Soccer p.e. was only for the boys and girls who were trying out when the season starts. I got out to the soccer field, but it started raining so we had to come indoors. On the first day you don't really start anything, we just got to know each other.
The bell rang and school was over.
My mom called me to say she was outside. I got into the car and I prepared myself for all the questions she would ask me about my first day of school.
“Hi Rose, how was your first day of high school?” she asked as she handed over the cup of frozen yogurt she got for me from my favorite yogurt shop.
I explained my whole day to my mom, “I liked all my teachers,except my science teacher was kind of weird, he scared me,” I told her.
“Were there any cute boys?” my mom asked me while laughing.
She was always in on the gossip and the cute boys. I tell my mom everything she is my best friend.
“Well...” I started to tell her about this boy. ”I saw this boy today by my locker before I went to lunch, he was so cute. He has dirty blonde hair and big blue eyes. He was tall and looked athletic, but I have never seen him before.”
My mom looked at me and smiled.
“Mom! I accidently dropped my books on the ground, I felt so embarrassed. I went down to the floor and there this boy was, he was helping me pick on my books just like it was in the movies. I couldn't help but to blush,” I explained.
“looks like you had a good day,” she laughed. 
We got home, I went to my room and turned on the tv to watch my recorded episodes of Keeping up with the Kardashians. Mondays were one of the only week days I had off from soccer.

I woke up to that annoying alarm I dreaded hearing once again, its what we all dreaded.
    “Rose, you need to start getting ready for school,” my dad said as he was walking in my room.
“Its only the second day and you already don't want to go,” he went on.
“Yes dad,” I said as I rolled out of bed.
I put on an outfit and went downstairs to eat breakfast. Normally my mom gets my breakfast ready but not today because she wasn't feeling good.
Its never a good thing when my mom isn't feeling good because one thing can lead to another when you have cancer. I finished my breakfast and went into my parents room to see my mom.
“Hi mom, How are you?” I asked her as I sat right next to her on the bed.
“Hi Rose,” she said in a tired voice.
“I don't  feel to good but I will be ok,” she went on.
She is the strongest person I know, and over the past year she has fought her battle with cancer. I had to leave my mom so I could finish getting ready for school, but I didn't want to. I wish I could stay with her all day.
I finished getting ready, well atleast I tried. My dad was rushing me out of the house because we were running late. I was already tired, I didn't get to finish getting ready, my mom doesn't feel good, today hasn't started out as a good day.
I got to school and right as I got to school the bell rang. I didnt have any time to chat with my friends. I rushed to class and thankfully made it in time.
    I was already having a tough day. It was fourth period and all I needed was the call that my mom was going to the hospital because she got worse. I had a mental break down in class and asked to step outside. I texted my friends and asked if any of them could talk, I didn't want to be by myself. Amy had a class right next to me, so she came out to talk to me.
    “Rose, what's wrong?” Amy was rushing out of the classroom as I was sitting outside the classroom crying.
    “Amy, my mom just went to the hospital, she's sick, it worries me,” I explained.
    Amy was rubbing my back, comforting me and telling me that my mom would be ok because she is a strong women and a fighter of cancer.
    I couldn't be more thankful for the caring group of friends I have. I couldn't hold her any longer because she had to get back to class and I did to.
My grandma is suppose to pick me up at the beginning of lunch and take me to the hospital to see my mom.
    As I was getting ready to get up and go back to class, I saw Nick from a distance. I didn't know if I should stay out there and see if he says hi or if I should just go back. I also didn't want to see him because I looked like a wreck from crying.
    I decided to stand there and pretend I was on my phone. I heard someone get closer, so I looked up.
    “I think I met you the other day, but I never got your name,” he said smiling.
“yeah we did,” I couldn't help but to smile even though I was in the worst mood.
“I'm Rose by the way,” I went on.
    “What are you doing sitting out here?” he asked.
    “well... “ I said. I didn't know if I should tell him. “ I just got some bad news and I needed someone to talk to so my friend Amy came out to talk to me,” I said.
    “May I ask what happened, or is it too soon for that?” Nick asked.
    I thought to myself for a little, thinking if I should say something or let it go. I didn't really know Nick but he seemed so caring.
    “My mom was diagnosed with cancer last year, she has fought it, its been bad and its been really good. I got a text in class from my dad saying she went to the hospital because she wasn't feeling good.” I said sadly.
    Nick looked concerned, like he cared about what I was telling him.
    “I can relate to you Rose, my mom passed away from cancer three years ago. My family and I tried everything we could, towards the end of her life we sent her to the best treatment in Los Angeles, it helped so much, but she couldn't fight anymore. I have been through this before its nothing fun but you just have to stay strong for your mom.” he explained.
    “Im sorry for your loss.” I whispered.
    “Everything happens for a reason,” he replied.
    I didnt say anything we just looked at eachother.
    “Rose, I know this is a bad time to ask but I have you here, so would you like to hangout sometime?” he asked me smiling.
    “Yeah I would Nick,” I responded.
    Nick and I exchanged numbers. I had to get back to class, I was out there for fifteen minutes now and there wasn't much time left.
    I got into class and of course everyone was staring at me. It was the second day of school and I was probably giving bad impressions. People probably thought I was some drama queen for leaving class crying but they don't know the real reason.
    I sat there and couldn't stop thinking about what just happened. The hottest guy just talked to me and wants to hangout with me. What I really couldn't believe was he went through the same thing i'm going through. I never met someone thats going through the same thing as me.
    The bell rang and I walk outside, it is the beginning of lunch. I saw Nick standing outside of the classroom and as soon as he saw me he walked up to me.
    “Hi Rose. I don't mean to be annoying but  how are you doing?” he asked.
    “You're not annoying,” I replied.
Im doing ok, im going to go see my mom in a little,” I said.
    “Thats good,” he responded
”I hope everything turns out to be ok,” He said.
“Thank you Nick, it means a lot,” I replied.
We kept walking and talking, my phone started to ring and it was my grandma telling me she was coming to get me so I needed to be ready.
“My grandma is here to pick me up, I have to go,” I said.
“Alright,” Nick replied.
Nick leaned in and gave me a hug. It wasn't just a hug it was a tight hug and it lasted a little while. It was one of the best hugs i've ever gotten.
“Rose, I know you can be strong for your mom,” he commented.
“Thank you Nick, all of this means alot to me. I just met you yesterday and you are so caring to me,” I explained.
“I have to go now, im sorry bye,” I said as I walked away.
“Wait, will I see you tomorrow?” Nick asked.
“Yes,” I replied.
    We both smiled and walked our separate ways.

I walk into my mom’s hospital room; it’s never the place I want to be.  I peeked my head in the door and my mom was laying in her bed watching tv in the dark room.
    “Hi mom,” I whispered.
    “Hi Rosie,” my mom replied.
Rosie was  the name my mom gave me since I was a little girl, the name she will probably call me forever.
“How are you feeling?” I asked.
“I'm alright,” she said in a miserable voice.
“The doctors gave me medicine, so I am feeling better then I was before,” she explained.
“I love you mom,” I said as I sat right next to her on the bed.
“I love you too my little Rosie,” my mom said
as she grabbed my hand.
It brought tears to my eyes but I couldn't show my mom, I had to show her I was going to be strong with her.
My dad brought my mom flowers and
stayed with her the whole time. The way my dad loved my mom was the kind of love I want to find when im older. They will do anything for each other and they are always by eachothers side.
    I stayed with my mom for the rest of the night until about dinner time. I missed soccer practice to spend some time with her. I had to get home to eat dinner and do homework, I didn't want to leave her but I had to. My dad didn't want to leave either so he stayed with her at the hospital and slept on the couch.
    My grandma came to my house with me to stay the night because I can't stay by myself. She lives alone, ever since by grandpa passed away five years ago. My grandma likes to stay with me or when I go to her house since i'm her only grandchild.
    It was time to leave the hospital even though I wish I could stay.
    “Bye mom,” I whispered as I gave her a hug.
    “Bye Rosie, I will call you in the morning when I wake up,” she said.
    “Ok, I love you mom I hope you feel better tomorrow,” I said as I started getting up to leave.
    “I love you too sweetie, and I hope i feel better so I can come home,” she responded.
    My grandma and I walked out of the room after saying our goodbyes to my mom and dad.
    “Grandma, what do you think is going to happen?” I asked
    “You know Rose, I don't know this is in Gods hands. Everything happens for a reason, but your mother is such a strong woman,” my grandma commented.
    I kept quiet and all I thought about was “everything happens for a reason”. Those are the exact words Nick told me today.
    That annoying alarm went off again, but I wasn't complaining because whatever my grandma was making me for breakfast made me want to get up. I don't know how she managed to wake up so early, I know I couldn't do it.
    Before I did anything I wanted to call my mom.
    “Hi my Rosie,” my mom said answering the phone.”
    “Hi mom how are you?” I asked.
    “Im doing better, I think they may let me go home tonight after doing a few more tests. I need to get more rest thought,” she explained.
    “Good I hope they let you home. I have to go get ready for school mom, but I will call you when I get home from school,” I said.
    ‘Ok sweetie, have a wonderful day at school. I love you Rosie,” she said.
    “You too mom, feel better. I love you too,” I replied.
    I liked having phone calls with my mom even though I wanted her here. I missed my dad to, I want them both to come back.
    I went downstairs to go see what smelt so good. My grandma had chocolate chip pancakes, my favorite, and fruit waiting for me.
    I ate my delicious breakfast and got ready for school. I was excited to go to school today because of Nick. I wonder what would happen.
    As I was getting ready my phone vibrated, I didn't think anything of it but it was Nick.
    It said, “I'm sorry for not texting you back last night, I ended up falling asleep. See you at school.”
    I replied,“It’s ok. I fell asleep right after. See you at school.”
    I was ready to go to school now. I thought I looked pretty today. I did my makeup and curled my hair. I wore my new jeans with a cute top my mom got me and my new sandals.I hope I see Nick.
    My grandma was taking me to school earlier today so I can see my friends because I haven't really talked to them as much as we normally do, which is all the time. Its hard to because of everything thats going on.
I arrived at school. It was so quiet and the sun was rising. None of my friends were there yet. I went to my locker first to get my books for my classes and to put away my soccer bag. I walked slow as I had butterflies because Nick could be at his locker.
It felt like I was in fourth grade and I have a crush. I just really liked Nick alot. He was such a sweet boy, I didn't expect him to text me or anything, I just thought we would see each other at school. He didn't seem like the boys that are all stuck up, like the ones that you see in movies. I've only known him three days so I could be speaking to soon.
As soon as I finished putting my stuff away my friends came to school. We met in the front of the school and caught up on the past few days. We didn't get to finish our conversation because the bell rang.
My first period was so boring. The teacher was only speaking spanish and I had no idea what was happening, I just sat there and watched. So many people fell asleep in that class but the teacher didn't care, maybe he did and just said it in spanish.
It was only the third day of school and  I was getting so bored in my classes,I guess Its because we haven't really started doing anything yet. Fourth period came and thats when I saw Nick yesterday, the nerves were starting to come as I walked to my class, I saw him from a distance but I didn't want to stand outside and wait for him to pass me. I would rather see him casually walking in the hallway.
I was sitting in class and there was only about ten kids in class, we were early.  My phone vibrated and I decided to check it because I was so early to class. It was from  Nick. I was scared to open it and see what it  said. Maybe he saw me in the hallway and thought I was ignoring him, I don't know .
“Hi Rose, do you want to meet up and go to our lockers together after fourth period?” the text message said.
“Yeah, that sounds good,” I replied.
The teacher walked in so I had to get off my phone. He was one of the teachers  that would  take it if he saw me with it during class. 
We were watching a movie in class and my phone vibrated. I thought it was ok to check it because it was dark and my teacher wasn't paying attention. It was a text from my dad saying they brought my mom home, he was picking me up, and I was going to soccer practice today.  I felt relieved after my dad said my mom was home. I felt so stressed out and scared because I never really know what could happen, but I always try to have positive thoughts.
    Class was over and I stood in the hallway waiting for Nick. I saw him walk out of the class talking to his friend, I instantly got butterflies in my stomach. Nick walked up to me and introduced me to his friend.
    “Rose, this is my good friend Chad,” he said.
    “Hi chad,” I replied.
    “I'm gunna go now, it was nice to meet you,” Chad said as he walked away.
    It was just me and Nick now. We started walking to our locker because thats where we both go when lunch starts. We started talking about how our day was so far. We were both having good days. He asked me about my mom.
“We dont have to talk about it if you dont want to, I just want to make sure you're ok,” he said.
“I don't mind, everything is better. My mom came home a little while ago, I guess shes doing better so they let her go,” I replied.
It might bother me talking about my mom but I thought it was nice of him to ask me.  Then it went into what we like to do. I told him I play soccer and hang out with my friends and family, thats what I do most of my time.
“I play soccer too,” he instantly replied.
    “I have been playing soccer since I was ten years old, I play for a club and I plan on trying out when the season comes along,” Nick commented.
    “Thats so cool, so am I. Maybe we could play sometime,” I stated.
    I liked Nick more and more everytime we talked. I thought it was really cool that he played soccer to. I wanted to play with him sometime and see if he's any good.
We got to our lockers. I had to wait because there were people in the way of my locker so I went to Nicks and waited with him. He made a joke about how I dropped my books on the first day, we both started laughing. It was so nice to not be shy around him anymore. So much happened in these past three days.
I wanted to see my friends but I wanted to hangout with Nick, so I decided to bring Nick to meet my friends.
"Hi guys, this is Nick," I said.
They smiled at me giving me that look as if they knew I had a crush. They asked all sorts of questions, "how old are you?", "how did you guys meet?" Etc. Some of the questions I didn't even know the answer to. This went on for the whole lunch, but I think my friends liked Nick and he liked them. It made me happy
The bell rang, Nick and I had our class in the same direction so we walked together part of the way. Once he had to go he gave me another one of his amazing hugs. 
It was about the middle of the day, so I decided to check up on my mom and text her.
“Hi mom, I hope your doing good. I will see you when you get home,” I said
“Hi Rosie, I'm doing better. Thank you for the checking in. Get back to class, see you later,” she replied a couple minutes later.
I listened to my mom and got back to class even though he was lecturing us on the most boring stuff. It was so hard to stay awake. I just look around,theres always those people that dont think anyone is watching them and they do stupid things. Watching other people gives me some type of entertainment.
I was excited for seventh period
because I had soccer p.e. I haven't played in a couple days and I was ready to get back on the field, we were scrimmaging today. It amazes my parents  how dedicated I am to this sport. Normally when you stick to a sport for so long you get sick of it, but I don't I love what I do.
    Soccer is my happy place, I often play soccer when things go wrong. Last year when my mom was diagnosed I found a different side to me that I didn't know I had. I was always sad, but I had to be strong for my mom because we didn't know what was going to happen, it was still early stages. I played soccer non stop. It helped me get all the bad things out of my mind. It was one of my best support systems, it made me happy. This is a reason why i'm so attached.
    We started our game, it was girls against boys. The boys thought they could beat us girls because they all have in there mind that boys are better than girls. We were getting our teams ready and Nick walked up to the circle. I had no idea that he was in soccer p.e and I don't think he knew I was in it either. I was standing with my friends but I didn't want to say anything to them.
    “Look, Its Nick,” Olivia said.
    “Oh yeah,” I replied, trying to make it seem like I didn't notice him before.
    “He plays soccer?” Amy asked.
    “Yeah, but I didn't know he was in this p.e. I guess this is his first day,” I commented.
    “Are you going to go say hi?” Taylor asked.
    “I don't know, should I?” I replied.
    “I think you should wait to see if he notices you,” Olivia said.
    After a couple minutes Nick came up to me.
    “Hi, I didn't know you were in this class, this is my first day,” Nick commented.
    “Yeah, I was going to ask when you came in the class because i've never seen you here,” I replied.
    “See you on the field,” he said as we were about to start the game.
    “Alright,” I said as I walked away.
    I got ready for the game. I put my soccer uniform on and I see my friends walking in to change too.
    “I saw you and Nick talking. What did you guys say?” One of my friends asked.
    “We were just talking about the game nothing else,” I said with a smirk.
    “We are totally winning this game today and you better not let Nick get in the way of us winning because you know what they say girls rule and boys drool.” I laughed.
    We were all ready and on the field ready to play the game. Coach was testing out are positions to see the best fit for the team. All the girls and boys in this class were trying out for the soccer team in a couple months. Coach put me as forward, that was my main position. He walked over to the boys and started positioning them, Nick was playing defense, so when I get the ball he has to block me.
    We started our game, the girls started off with the ball. I had it and started dribbling up I passed it to the girl that was open farther up on the field. I didn't know who she was or how good she was but this was only a practice game,so I can not  only pass it to the girls I know are good.
    As I passed it to her one of the boys stole the ball. I went back to block, I got the ball again. I was fast and had good footwork, I made it up to the boys defense. This is where Nick is, but I played like it was a random person. Nick got the ball back but I somehow managed to get it back and I scored. The boys were getting mad because we were not in the lead.
    Nick looked at me and winked and mouthed “Good job”, I smiled and walked back to my side. My friends came up to me to say good job and we did our special handshake that we do when one of us has a good play.
    “I saw that wink and good job Nick gave you,” Taylor said.
    “Yeah,” I said and giggles
    They all knew I had a crush on him even though I didn't admit it yet.
    The game was back on but I sat out because coach wanted to let other girls try my position. I didn't care because he already knows how I play and I have my club team practice after school. I was standing on the sidelines with a couple other of girls that were waiting to go in and Amy was with me to. We were cheering on Taylor, Olivia and a couple other girls that we know. 
    Coach switched Nick to forward, he ended up scoring. I went back on the field to play and when he passed me we gave eachother a high five.
    “Good job Nick,” I said as we were getting ready to play again.
    “Thanks, you too,” he replied.
    I got ready to play again, it was now tied girls vs. boys. Im a very competitive person, so I don't like losing especially to the boys that think they're better than us. I got the ball and all the boys were trying to take it from me, but they couldn't get it. I started laughing and shortly after scored on Nick.
    Time ran out, the school bell rang so we had to stop our game. We huddled and gave high fives like we did in a real game. The boys looked mad that they lost. After giving high fives the girls did a team break
    “Girls rule, boys drool,” we yelled as loud as we could.
    They all looked at us and looked pretty mad. We just laughed because it wasn't a real game. I was taking off my cleats and getting my stuff together when Nick came up to me.
    “Good job out there, you really are and amazing player,” Nick commented.
    “Thank you, your not to bad yourself,” I replied with a big smile.
    He laughed, “Thank you, are you leaving right now?” He asked.
    “Im not sure i'm waiting for my dad to call me, are you?” I asked
    “Im waiting for my mom to get off of work and then she picks me up,so I will be here for a little while,” He said.
    I stopped talking. My phone started ringing and it was my dad. I answered and he told me he was on his way.
    “My dad is here,” I said. “I'm walking to the front if you want to come,” I went on.
    “Sure, ill come with you,” He replied.
    My dad was waiting in the front for me. We started walking to the front, but not all the way because I didn't want my dad to see me with a boy. Every girl with a protective dad understands, but boys don't seem to get it.
    My dad picked me up and we were going home. He was up all night with my mom at the hospital, he looked so tired. I finally get to see my mom but I didn't have much time because I had soccer practice in a couple hours. I wasn't to excited for that because I just played a scrimmage in p.e, but I was excited to see my team again.
    We got home and I went to go see my mom. I walked into her room and she was sleeping, but she looked miserable.It looked painful, I didn't like seeing her looking like that. I didnt want to wake her up so I left.
I went downstairs to make myself a snack before practice. I saw my dad passed out on the couch. I felt bad waking him up to take me to practice so I thought I would ask one of my friends if they could pick me up. Olivia lived the closest so she said she would pick me up.
It was time to go to practice and my dad woke up but I told him he could go back to sleep because Olivia was taking me. He looked realized.
“Tell her parents I said thank you so much,” he said as he rolled back over on the couch to go back to sleep.
“Yes dad, I will,” I replied.
I got to soccer practice and it felt so good after missing. We started doing our warm up drills and then coach stopped us to tell us we were helping the younger girls today. I loved doing that because it reminded me of the little me that use to play soccer. Some of them were pretty good. You could tell they were gunna be good when they get older if they stuck to it.
We walked over to the little girls. My next door neighbor was on the team, her name is Erin. She saw me and ran over and jumped on me. I babysit her a lot. Sometimes we go outside and play soccer on the good days.
They were all so cute, they said there name and what position they played, or there favorite position. My team got into groups by what position we played and the little girls came to the group that they played. We started doing drills in groups. My groups first drill was dribbling the ball in between each cone. It was too hard for some of them. Little kids aren't that coordinated.
We went on to the next drill and that was shooting into the goal. I had to demonstrate.The first girl that went was six years old, her name was miley, her older sister is on my team. She was so good for her age. She took the first kick and it was a perfect goal. We tried to make it into a game so they would have more fun. The person with the most goals got the title of winning because we didn't have any prizes for them. Practice went on and drills went on. I was exhausted today and I didn't really know why. I guess it was from school, and the soccer game we played.
        I got home to a nice home cooked meal that my dad made for us. My mom still wasn't feeling good, she didn't have an appetite so she had to eat soup. She didn't look to good but I was hoping she would get better soon.
I ate and then I had to do some homework. Having to do homework after soccer is so hard because I'm tired and just want to sleep. I had to do math and English. In math it was those stupid review worksheets that they give you so they know where everyone is at in the beginning of the year. In English we had to look up vocabulary words, that was easy it didn't take me to long.
After my homework I took a shower and laued in my bed to watch tv. I needed to catch up on my favorite show keeping up with the Kardashians. I was getting into my show and my phone vibrated, but I didn't pick it up right away to see what it was because I was too distracted by the TV. After about ten minutes I looked at my phone and it was Nick, I got excited.
"It was fun playing soccer with you today, Good job out there. I hope you had a good practice and your night is going well," he said.
It was so nice of him to text me. He's been doing it every night.
"Thank you Nick, you did good out there too. My night is going well, I hope yours is too," I replied.
I didn't hear from him the rest of that night.

It was a new day, and another day of school. I did my same routine woke up ate breakfast and got ready for school and somewhere in between I went to go visit my mom in her room. Today she really didn't look good. My dad said we might even have to take her to the hospital again. That was nothing good. I tried not to worry about it too much because I know it was all under control, but it was hard not to always think about it.
So I went to school hoping that would get everything off my mind, and it kind of did. I wasn't in the best mood but I tried to be happy. I saw my friends in the morning and we talked like we always did. If anyone asked about my mom I just said she's fine, I didn't want to go on as a whole story. They all were so curious about Nick so I had to fill them in on that.
"Yesterday after school he walked me to my car, but not all the way because I didn't want my dad to see," I went on. "After practice last night he text me and said, "It was fun playing soccer with you today, Good job out there. I hope you had a good practice and your night is going well." It was so sweet of him to do that.
"Aw Rose he's so nice to you, I think he really likes you," Olivia said.
After our Nick talk was over and the bell rang we all walked to class. Most of us went different ways. I didn't see Nick yet but I guess that was normal. I always see him fourth period.
My focus on all my classes this morning was so bad. It was like I was anxious for something. Fourth period came along, I was always early because my third period class was so close.
"Hi Rose, how are you today?" My teacher said as I was walking into class.
"Hi Mrs.Smith, I'm good thank you," I replied.
I just sat there on my phone until class started. The bell rang and it seemed like half of the class was gone, but I liked having a small class. Mrs. Smith asked us to turn in our homework and everyone looked at eachother like they forgot to do it. There was only about six other people that turned in the homework, so she gave us extra credit. I was happy about that.
After turning in our homework we worked on writing our novels. I was still stuck on my topic so I normally just sat there with a black face. My teacher came over to me and asked what I was doing. I told her I needed help with a topic.
"What's your favorite genre?" Mrs. Smith asked.
"Well, I like love stories, or stories of young girls like me," I explained.
She helped me figure out what I'm going to write about. A popular sophomore girl in high school has her clique. One day everything changes, they all turn against her. She then spends the rest of her high school years by herself, eating lunch in the bathroom and doing nothing on the weekend because she has no friends. She wants to get them back.
I started writing in class, I was getting into my sorry but of course the bell rang. I waited outside for Nick even though he never text me, I just wanted to be the one to say hi. I saw him coming out of his class. He looked up, saw me, and smiled. I smiled back.
"Hello," he said as he was walking towards me.
"Hello, how's your days?" I asked.
"It's going alright, you know just all those boring classes," he said giggling.
"Yeah, I know what you mean," I replied.
"How's your day?" He asked.
"Its good I guess," I replied.
"I wonder what we're going to do in p.e today, hopefully not another scrimmage. I don't want to get beat by girls again," he said laughing.
"I wouldn't either," I commented smiling.
We went out to lunch and saw my group of friends, he wanted to stop by and say hi to them.
"Hey girls," he said in a girly voice.
They all looked and started laughing.
"Hi Nick," they replied.
Nick had to go meet up with his buddies so he just said hi then had to leave. He gave me a hug and all I heard in the background was "aw". Of Course it was friends staring at us. I walked back over to them and they were all telling me how cute we were. I was still waiting for him to tell me how he felt about this. I didn't want to be the one to say it first, but maybe I might have to.
The bell rang, my friends and I walked to class together until we all had to split up. My sixth period class was so boring I tried to take my time waking there. Sixth period science went by fast.
I went to my locker to change into soccer clothes for p.e. Today we were going on a run. We were going to run to the local park that was a couple miles away. Once we got to the park we were going to play some soccer.
This was a nice time in Seattle because it wasn't raining and we could actually do outdoor activities. We started getting ready for our run. I was going to run with my group of friends. The girls ran with the girls and the boys ran with the boys. It was a good run until we got to the park and had to do some soccer stuff, I was so tired already. Coach let us walk back to school and then we were done for today.
I called my dad to tell him to pick me up, he sounded a little upset. I was kind of worried but I didn't know what it was. I waited a while in the front for him. About fifteen minutes later he pulled up.
"Hi dad," I said getting into the car
"Hi," he replied in a angry tone.
"What's wrong with you today?" I asked.
"Rose I need to tell you something," he said.
"Yes dad," I replied.
"I haven't been on enough cases lately because I have been taking care of your mother. I lost my job," he explained.
"Dad I'm so sorry, what are you going to do?" I asked.
"Hunny I'm not sure, but I can't leave your mom at home. Her life is in danger and I need to be there," he said.
"I know dad, it's all going to be ok," I replied.
This was horrible, all my moms bills are adding up and my dad doesn't have a job anymore. Everything costs money, the house, food, my soccer club. I couldn't panic because I don't want my dad to stress about it. I have to remember everything happens for a reason.
We got to my house and my dad went straight to his bed. I guess he was depressed. It was a hard thing to go through, your wife has cancer and you just lost your job. My mom was always sleeping because there was nothing else to do when you sick like that.
It was my daily routine once again. I ate a snack and then I had soccer practice. When I came home from soccer I ate dinner did my homework and went to sleep.
The next day came along, my mom got rushed to the hospital and is diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. How bad could this get right now. I didn't even know what to think. I just wanted to break down, but I couldn't. I needed to stay strong for my family. My dad and I met my mom at the hospital. We asked the doctors what was happening. The only information they had for us was it was not a good situation.
I went into the room to see my mom laying in the bed with a bunch of things in her arm. It made me so sad I didn't know what to think. My moms life might be over.
"Excuse me, doctor?" I asked.
"Hello," he replied.
"What's wrong with my mom?" I asked.
"Honey, your mom has stage four breast cancer. I'm not sure what's going to happen," he replied.
I didn't know what to say. My head went down and started crying.
"I'm so sorry for this, I never like giving this kind of news, I am trying everything I can do," the doctor said.
My dad looked so devastated. We didn't know what we were going to do. the doctor came out again.
“We do have some good news for you sir,” the doctor said.
“What is it?” my dad asked.
“There is a treatment center in Los Angeles, California. It is knows as one of the best in the United States. Your wife is well enough to make it there if you would like to send her.” the doctor explained.
“I've heard about that, my friends mom went there to get treatment.” I said.
“Yes, alot of people go. There is always a different outcome. I've had patience that have lived and some have passed away. It doesn't hurt to try it.” He said.
My dad looked at me with a questioning face.
“Rose do we want to do this for your mother?” he asked.
“Yes dad, its the best thing we can do for her right now. I dont want to lose my mom and I know you don't want to lose her either,” I replied.
“How much does this cost?” my dad asked the doctor.
“I dont know the exact price, but it is a lot of money. The reason why most people don't go is because they can't afford it. I will have to know ahead of time because I have to make a reservation for her,” he explained to us.
“Alright, we will think about it and let you know as soon as possible,” my dad said to the doctor.
    “Is she stable right now?” he asked.
    “Yes, you have time to think about it,” the doctor replied.
    The doctor walked back to my moms room to check on her then went to his office.
    “Rose, I don't know if were going to have enough money for this. Not having a job mean I dont have money. Im going to have to do research,” my dad explained.
    “I hope this works out,” I told him.
    My dad and I sat in the room looking at my mom. We were waiting for her to wake up, but we didn't want to wake her up ourselves. Looking at your mom laying in a hospital with stage four breast cancer is the worst thing you can ever go through.
    My mom finally woke up thirty minutes later. She looked at my dad then me and smiled, it looked so hard for her to even smile at us. I went up to hold her hand.
    “Hi mom,” I said.
    “Hi my Rosie,” she replied with the faintest voice.
    “Hi honey,” my dad said to her.
    “Hi guys, how are you?” she whispered.
    “We are alright, how are you?” asked my dad.
    “I am alright,” she replied. It took her a couple seconds to reply.
    We told her about the idea of sending her to Los Angeles for treatment. She wanted to go, and I know she would. The only thing is she still didn't know my dad lost his job. He didn't plan on telling her because she's already going through so much.
    I was sitting in the hospital room, I closed my eyes and immediately thought of the time when Nick was telling me about his mom. I was glad I had a friend who understands what i'm going through. I decided to text him because i've been ignoring  everyone lately. Even my best friends. Its just so hard to keep up with everything.
    “Hey Nick, my mom went to the hospital and was diagnosed with stage four breast cancer. We are thinking of sending her to the treatment center in Los Angeles, where your mom went,” I texted him.
    “Wow, im sorry to hear that,” he replied. “You should send her there, its a great place. Unfortunately some people fight it and some people dont. I hope your doing ok, its not an easy thing to deal with. Im always here if you need to talk to someone,” he went on.
    Days went on of my mom being in the hospital and my family coming to visit. My dad broke out the news to my family about losing his job, they were understanding because he was always with my mom. He told them about the treatment center that we wanted to send her to. They all agreed with it, but my dad had one problem, we needed everyone to help pitch in money if they could. Everyone agreed to do it for the sake of my mom.
    If my dad payed for the whole treatment with his money we would have to move houses, into something smaller. I dont know if I would be able to play for the soccer club I play for because its so expensive. We would be sacrificing a lot. I'm so thankful for my other family members that are helping out. 
    It was a week later, and my mom was on her way to get treatment. I wasnt able to go because I had to go to school but my dad went with her. I stayed with my grandma. I couldn't be any happier at this decision that my family made. I prayed every night that this would work and my mom would be on a speedy recovery.
    I called my dad everyday to check up on her and everyday she seemed to be getting a little better. The doctor told my dad that it was a form of breast cancer that they were easily able to treat. That was the best news I heard. When my dad told me I was so excited.
    After a month of treatment my mom was on her way home with her hair growing back, looking healthier, she was finally cancer free.
    I saw my mom and dad, I ran as fast as I could and gave them the biggest hug ive ever gave anyone. We were reunited as the family we were before.