Beating The Bully | Teen Ink

Beating The Bully

By Jasmine Vanderbilt, South Elgin, Illinois
Jasmine Vanderbilt, South Elgin, Illinois

Author's note: I hope that this story will remind children that there is hope for anyone. You may be broken inside, but you can push through hard times and achieve your goals

The crowds cheered as I rode on my horse, “GO LACEY! GO!!!!!!!!!!” They screamed. I bent down to gain more speed as I inched closer and closer to the finish line. Faster. Faster. Faster! I had to have been going seventy miles per hour. Dirt was covering my goggles, but I didn’t care. This was the biggest moment of my life! The flagman held up the checkered flag to wave it as I was about to claim my victory. I felt a weird shaking sensation, but I needed to ignore it. Must’ve been the excitement. He opened his mouth about to announce my win, but the words he said was not at all what I was expecting.
“Lacey! Wake up! Lacey, its time for school!!! Get up! Ten minutes until we have to leave!” It was just a dream. I sat up and opened my eyes. My mom stopped shaking me, “Thank goodness you’re awake. Come on! Get on your uniform and don’t dilly dally. I have to be at the subway by 8:30 and you’re not even dressed! I’ll be in the car waiting for you. I expect you to be there in 5 minutes,” she said as she scrambled out the door. I jumped out of bed and peeled off my pajamas. Then, I pulled on my uniform top and plaid skirt. I shoved my socks on, stuffed my feet into my flats, and tumbled down the stairs.
Snatching my bagel and backpack, I hopped in the car. “Wow! You’re did that quickly!” said mom as we pulled out of the driveway, “You pulled that of in 2 minutes flat!” We high-fived.
“It’s a new record!” I grinned as bit into my delicious cheese bagel. Perfection. Slightly burnt. Just the way I like it, “This bagel is amazing mom! Thank you so much,” I said between bites. Mom smiled, “I know my little Lace!”

After a half hour, we pulled into the school parking lot and my mom kissed me on the forehead, “I love you, honey,” she said gently. I hopped out of the car.
“Love you too, mom.” Slamming the door, I turned and headed toward the school.
L'école Pour Enfants Surdoués is the school I go to. It was founded by a French man. In English it is called “The School for Gifted Children.” It was originally meant for french students, but now it is just for gifted kids. I used to go to Chrome Elementary, but I was recommended to attend a private school. This is just because I am “gifted.” Honestly, I don’t think I am gifted in anything except for horseback-riding, but it brings my mom, so much joy to have me be able to attend a school for geniuses, that I just continue on.
Just as I was about to open the door, the school bell rang. Rats! I scurried into the hallway, shoved my backpack in my locker, grabbed my supplies, and darted into the classroom. “Good morning cla…”
“Sorry I’m late Miss Walkerman,” I panted, “It won’t happen again.”
“Don’t worry Lacey! This is only the 2nd month of school. I’m sure it was just a mistake,” Miss Walkerman said gently.
Miss Walkerman is the best. She is always really nice to us. Once, she brought in ice cream for our class because we got an average of 90% on our tests!
“Who would like to show us how to find averages?” Mrs. Walkerman called. Moriah shot up her hand. Ugh. I hate that know-it-all. “Yes, Moriah.” Moriah gave a snooty smirk at me as she strutted up to the board.
“When I go horseback riding and I want to find my average,” she said all teachery-like, “I add up all of my times and then divide that number by how many times there are. Then, you’ve got your answer!” She picked up the neon pink white-board marker and wrote it out on the board.
“Thank you, Miss Moriah,” said Miss Walkerman, “Excellent job!” Moriah fake giggled, and walked back to her seat as if she were the best person in the whole world. I rolled my eyes. She stuck her tongue out at me. Ugh! She is so annoying! “Let’s move on, class since we seem to have this unit down!” said Miss Walkerman, and we continued on to our lesson as Moriah sat next to me looking so in to the lesson.
Moriah is an only child like me, except she is a rich kid. She takes horseback riding and won the national competition. I came in second. The difference between me and her is that she takes horseback riding six days a week after school, while my mother can only afford the four day practices. Well, make that three. I have to groom the horses and work in the stable to be able to go to my 4th lesson. Another difference is that Moriah has both of her parents, while I only have my mom.Just before I was born, my father was diagnosed with stage 3 brain cancer. A deadly disease. He made it through my birth, even though he was going through chemotherapy. Together, my mom and dad took me home as happy as can be, but on the first night, something was wrong, and my mother caught it first. I was coughing really hard. My parents knew I needed to go to the hospital again.
Later, we found out I needed a heart transplant. Fast. I had a hole in my heart and I had asthma. No one was willing to risk getting their heart transplanted without a few days to think it over. We searched and searched and searched for a willing soul, but no one would do it. Finally, my dad made a decision. He would give up his heart for his little baby girl. This was a suicide operation. With brain cancer AND a tiny heart, he knew he would never survive.
Once the operation was complete, my dad laid in the operation bed and whispered his last words to my mother and I. I don’t remember any of this except for what he told me. He touched my stitches stared into my eyes, “I will always be with you,” he pointed to the surgery scar, “Right there.” Then he kissed my mother, shut his eyes and breathed his last breath.

After four hours, it was time for recess. The recess bell rang and our fifth grade class shot out of the room, except for me, as usual but today there was… Moriah. She waltzed up to Miss Walkerman’s desk, “Miss Walkerman,” she cooed, “ Why doesn’t LUCILLE ever go outside with me?! After all, we are best friends.” I opened my mouth to object. Wait… what did she just call me?! But Mrs. Walkerman answered,
“You are?! Well then, Lacey, today I want you to go outside with Moriah! "
What was she talking about?! I hate that girl out of my mind! I would much prefer to stay in with my teacher.
"But Miss Walkerm..."
"Lacey, I want you to get to have time to hang out with your best friend! Oh, sweetie, you don't have to worry about me. I have a best friend too and I enjoy every moment with her! I wish we had more time to hang out! Go on and play," Miss Walkerman gave me a hug and whisked me out the door. When we stepped out of the classroom, Moriah gave me a devious stare.
"No matter what you say, I WILL win this years national championship and there's nothing you can do about it. I will train and train and train until I am so good I will be impossible to beat."
"Moriah, just because you can get anything you want from your parents does not mean you can get everything in life!" I began to feel large, salty tears trickling down my face, "Just because I am tough competition doesn't mean you have to go around bullying me!!!"
"You think you are such a genius jockey" Moriah pointed her finger deep into the center of my chest, "But I am one you can never beat in anything." She grabbed my nose and rigorously slammed me against the wall continually.
“STOP, MORIAH, STOP!!!” I screamed. Then, everything went black.

I woke up to the sound of Miss Walkermans voice, "Lacey! Lacey! Are you all right?!" Opening my eyes, I saw Moriah right beside her.
"Oh Miss Walkerman! It was terrible! Lacey was just talking to me when she said she was dizzy and fell flat on her nose. That's why her nose is purple!" Moriah cried in her best and believable sad voice.
"Lacey, I am going to take you to see the nurse! You do not look well at all!!!" Miss Walkerman cradled me in her arms and gracefully but smoothly trotted off to the nurse's office.
When we got there, the nurse was on her break, so she laid me in the little bed and ran to get the nurse. I stared up at the ceiling. That girl seriously wants to win that championship. I then realized that I needed to train hard to be better that her.
Just then, Mrs. Peterson scampered in with her stethoscope at ready. Immediately, she listened to see that my heartbeat was normal. "What a relief! You're fine, sweetheart," she announced, "You are just going to need some rest from that big fall! I'm afraid you have a concussion. There is a big bruise on the back of your head too, sweetie!" She paused. "That's peculiar. I thought you had fallen on your nose! Oh well!"
"....Moriah..." I mumbled trying to tell her the whole story. I couldn't get the words out.
"Pumpkin, I understand you would like to stay at school with your best friend, but you need to get some rest," Miss Walkerman reassured.
"Yes, hon, you will be back in two weeks. I'll call your mom and make sure she knows that you cannot do any sports until next month."
NEXT MONTH?!!! I screamed in my mind. BUT THE DERBY IS IN JUST TWO MONTHS!!! THAT MEANS I'LL ONLY HAVE A MONTH TO PRACTICE!!!
Fathoming this thought was too much for me to bear. How could I only have one month to practice and win the national competition?!!! My mind was so exasperated that I couldn't even think. Resolving to go to sleep, I turned onto my side and shut my eyes.
"Humn... Humn... Humm... Lacey." I opened my eyes. "Lace! You're awake!!! C'mon baby girl, let's go home and get some rest in your own bed." My mother had finally arrived. She scooped me up and rocked back and forth for a while. "I've been told you passed out and got a boo-boo... You can still walk, right?" I nodded and she set me down. After a few steps I knew I was okay to walk, "Oh, Lacey-girl," my mom whispered with a tear in her eye, "I'm so sorry about your little accident. Let's leave before the bell rings and it's loud with all of the other kids getting out of class."
With my hand in hers, mom and I slowly trudged to the car. I could see kids packing their stuff up in their classrooms. There must only be about 3 minutes left in class. Mom and I decided to pick up the pace, we did many twists and turns through the hallways until we finally got to the right door to the parking lot.
As soon as we stepped out of that door, the school bell rang. We had just made it. There were loud screams and footsteps headed our way. Mom and I quickly jogged to our little Camry and hopped in. Once the door was shut, the sound was so muffled I couldn’t hear anything. My mom started the car and drove to our house.
I got in bed. How in the world would Moriah get in? I wondered. She is not supposed to interfere with other racers. That could cause a suspension! Being as tired as I was, I shut my eyes and drifted off to sleep.

After a month of rest, I finally got back on my horse. Little Cooxie was so glad to see me. She neighed very loudly when I fed her carrots. Then, I hopped on her and practiced speed strategies. I did all of my other tricks and practice courses, and we did great.

Day after day, little by little, I would jump on my horse, improve my score and repeat the same exact routine every day. When I finished, Mom would pick me up and coach me on some things that I was struggling with. Somedays, I would cry because my score had not improved at all, other days, I would beat my previous score. Eventually, I improved so much that I knew I was sure to beat Moriah.

Mrs. Singer, my horseback riding advisor, drove me home from practice, “That was some wonderful work you did back there, Lacey!” Mrs. Singer turned down the volume of the radio.

“Yes! That was my best time! I can’t believe 3:48 is my new record!” I smiled proudly at Mrs. Singer through the rear view mirror she had adjusted. Then, I paused, “So, what has Moriah been getting lately?” I asked nervously.

Mrs. Singer sighed and gave me a despairing look, “Lacey,” she said, “I know this will be rough for you to understand, but… Moriah’s latest high score is 3:29.” I saw my face go pale, “How good could she have gotten in just a little more than a month?!” I gasped.

Gravely, she answered with a face of stone, “I don’t know what that girl did, but she has gotten so good, she has set the international record… Well, the international record that doesn’t include giving the horse or the human steroids. The people that take steroids are virtually impossible to beat. Plus, they are not allowed to compete in a horseback riding competition for the rest of their lives.”

I stared. She has the best score there is in the entire world?! I screamed in my head. How is that even possible?!!! My mind was boggled so much. I couldn’t even take it anymore. Once I got home, I hugged my mom and without a word, trudged to my room, slammed the door, and crawled into my bed.

Should I cry? No, I was way too tired to cry. Should I sit and stare at the wall? I don’t know if I could do that either. My mind was blank. I didn’t know what to do. Therefore I resolved to pulling my blanket up over my head and shutting my eyes to go to sleep.

"It's derby day!" Mom screamed as she shook me awake. I happily sat up immediately and jumped out of my bed. This was the biggest day of my life, and I couldn't wait to hit it off well. I put on my derby uniform. Then, I french braided two sides of my hair and tied them off with some sparkly pink ribbon. After eating my usual breakfast, I happily grabbed some more pink ribbons and a rubber band and skipped into the car. Mom and I then took the exciting route to the derby in Springfield.

"Momma?" I questioned,"Do you think all of my fans will be there?" Mom put a puzzled look on her face.

"I don't know, baby, but I hope they will be there to cheer on my little Lace!!!"

I grinned, "I hope so too... Do you think I have got a chance to win it?"

"Absolutely, hon, why would you think otherwise?" Mom questioned.

"I dunno, " I said, "Its just that Moriah is holding the world record and beating me by 19 seconds."

Mom frowned, "That's so weird. You guys are always neck and neck. I didn't think that you would be so far apart in scores."

"Yeah it's quite peculiar."

"Oh well, you still have high chances of winning. Remember, I will always believe in you."

"Thanks mom," I said as I got out of the car.

When we got to the sign-in stand, I took an entrance form and handed it to my mom. She filled out the form and pointed to the reaffirmation conditions chart. I reaffirm that I am not under the use of steroids. “You haven’t been using drugs, have you?” mom teased. I giggled.
“Oh yes! Of course I am using steroids because I definitely want to get kicked out of the International Horseback Derby Association,” I said sarcastically, “I’ll be right back. I have to fix Cooxie’s mane,” I told my mom

I went over to Cooxie’s stall, fed her a few carrots, and patted her on the back. Then, I hopped onto the saddle and began to french braid her mane. “Oh, Cooxie,” I sighed, “You are going to look fabulous in your excellent, new hairsty--”

“Talking to a horse, eh?” Moriah.

“You’re just jealous that my horse actually likes me.”

“Well, at least I don’t look crazy.”

“Humph.”

She babbled on about winning and her score and some other things, so I ignored her and continued to french braid Cooxie’s mane tightly. Tying it up with the rubber band, I wrapped the glamorous bow around the end of her hair. Perfect. Then, I brushed through her tail hair until it was silky smooth. I tied a bow around the top of the tail and Cooxie was set to go.

After three hours of funnel cake, bets, horse blood tests, and chitter-chatter, I finally hopped on my horse, and Twixie trotted out to our lane. She was scraping her hooves against the dirt so often, I could tell she was ready to go.

“It’s all right Coox,” I reassured, “We’ll be going soon.”

“Readdddaaaaaayyyyy?” called the man standing at the edge of all of our lanes. We all nodded, adrenaline running through our veins. He fired the starting gun, “Go!”

Our barricades dropped, and Cooxie sprang forward. Moriah’s horse was faster. her horse, Juan, sped to what seemed like the speed of light. How was that thing going that fast? Had Moriah lost weight or something? I gave Cooxie a little kick with my foot and she leaned down to gain more speed. We caught up and were neck and neck. All of the other horses were far behind us, so I had no need to worry. Moriah’s horse was still going the constant speed ahead of me.

The final lap was almost completed, but I was still slightly behind Moriah! Her horse kicked up some dirt and it covered my face. A huge chunk of muck slooshed out of my mouth. Bleeuck! That is disgusting! I wiped my goggles and got even lower. We were close to the finish line.

“Push through, Cooxie!” I cried, “We have to beat Moriah!”

Moriah turned and gave me smug grin. Then, we each crossed the finish line. Moriah had won. I got off Cooxie. I dropped to the ground. I buried my face in my hands. I wept. How could this happen to me?! The president came out with a check and a flower wreath. I stood up and watched as they hung the wreath around Juan’s neck. So, this was my fate.

Wait!” shouted the head horse blood tester, “Juan was injected with steroids! Therefore, he cannot win the race, and Moriah Hallman cannot win the money! She is kicked out of the IHDA!!!” The crowd gasped.

“I--,” Moriah protested, “I. Gave. My. Horse. Steroids.” she admitted with tears in her eyes. The crowd gasped again, “I needed to win that money. I wanted victory! Pride! Fame! Fortune! But I ruined it for myself. And it was all because of some stupid dream. I’d won last year fare and square, but I wanted to do it again. I felt so much competition between me and Lucille, that I wanted to beat her. I was the one who gave her a concussion for a month. I was the one who trash-talked her. She even lost a couple of days of school just because I knew I could get what I wanted. I’m sorry I ever did this. Now, I can safely say, Lacey won fair and square.”
She lifted the wreath off of Juan’s neck and set it on Cooxie. “Here you go,” she muttered. With that, she picked up Juans bridle and trudged to the exit. The crowd booed. I ran after her.
“Moriah.” She looked startled. “I just want to say thank you for admitting your mistake to me. I understand how you feel losing. I lost last year. Why don’t you come back and watch the end with me? You can even ride Cooxie.”
Moriah smiled, “Thanks, Lacey. You’re the best.” She wrapped her arms around me tightly for a hug. I was surprised, but I hugged her back.
“Thanks,” I said.
“Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww…….” the crowed said

“Lacey is this year’s national champion!” the announcer called over the intercom. I took my award and waved to the crowd. I’d finally accomplished my dream And that, was how I won the national championship. All I needed was a little faith, hope, training, and friendship.