Catch of the Day | Teen Ink

Catch of the Day

By Courtney Lawrence, Lisbon Falls, Maine
Courtney Lawrence, Lisbon Falls, Maine

It was the first day of summer. The sun was out, there was a light breeze, and the temperature was just right. Not too hot, not too cold yet Jonah wasted the beautiful playing weather and sat on the couch watching cartoons all day.

“Jonah, why have you been sitting there all day? I don’t think I’ve seen you move once except for getting food or going to the bathroom. What’s up with that kiddo?” his mother pondered.

“Nothing better to do. No one to play with.” Jonah croaked.

“Well why don’t you play with Cooper? I bet he didn’t have very many plans” she chuckled.

“I tried to play with him mother. All he wanted to do way bury his bone in the back yard and lay in the sun all day.” He complained.

“How dare he.” she teased. “Maybe you should plan something to do tomorrow so you aren’t sitting on that old couch all day. Get cleaned up and dressed, we’re going to Papa and Grams house for dinner soon. It’s a new thing we’re starting this summer since they live right nextdoor. Tomorrow they will come to our house and vis versa. I don’t want to hear no complaining either. Now go.”

“But mom I’m going to miss my cartoons!” He cried.

“Jonah I’m not going to ask you twice. Go get dressed in some nice clothes, wash up and get down here.”

“Ugh.”
Jonah stomped up to his room and put on an old pair of Wrangler Jeans that had a rip in the left knee, a plain red t-shirt what wasn’t so plain anymore because there was a mustard stain directly in the middle, and his worn out hat. He quickly went to the bathroom to wash his hands and face that weren’t that dirty anyways because he stayed inside all day.
“Jonah!” His mother called out from down stairs. “Let’s go, your father is already over there waiting for us.”
Jonah huffed. “Coming mom.”
Walking down stairs and across the lawn to go to his grandparents he thought if he ate really fast and pretended that he didn’t feel good after, they could leave sooner than planned so he could get back to watching his cartoons.
“Hey mom, hey dad.” Jonah’s mother greeted her parents.
“Hello hunny, supper should be ready soon make yourself comfortable” Jonah’s gram suggested.
“Oh no mom, I’ll help you. Jonah, why don’t you go into the living room. Your father and your papa are in there.” She nodded.
“Yes, papa would enjoy your company Jonah. He’s been talking about you all day.” His gram added.
Jonah slowly walked to the living room and sat down. He wasn’t listening to what his father and papa were talking about. They seemed so interested in what they were talking they didn’t even noticed that Jonah was right next to them. Jonah just wanted to go home.

“Supper’s ready!”
It seemed like everyone but Jonah was excited to get to the table. But the food smelled downright amazing.

“I made Chicken Pot Pie everyone. I hope you’ll like it. Dig in!”

Everyone started eating and catching up with each other but Jonah was so quiet it was like he wasn’t even there. He thought no one even cared.

“This whole dinner is stupid.”

Everyone was done and Jonah’s grandmother, mother, and father all got up to take care of the dishes. Just when Jonah thought we was going to be ignored the whole night he heard a voice.

“Hey Jonah. Haven’t talked to you in awhile. How are you buddy?” His grandfather began.

“I’ve been okay.”

“Okay? Why okay? Why not great! It’s summer time now Jonah. Didn’t you enjoy the beautiful outdoors today or hangout with friends?

“No.”

“Well I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? Why are you sorry?”

“Because you didn’t have fun thats why. You know I didn’t have much fun today either so I guess that makes two of us.”

Jonah stuttered. “Well why didn’t you have fun?”

“I did have fun don’t get me wrong, but I went fishing today and didn’t have anyone to talk to or fish with and you see, where I go fishing I catch a lot of fish but I always pick one to be my catch of the day. Today I didn’t get one because I didn’t have anyone to help me pick
out the best looking fish to be the catch of the day.”

“Oh, I’ve never gone fishing before…”

“Dad are you telling him fishing stories?” Jonah’s mom interrupted.

“No no no I just told him what I did today.”

“I wanna hear some!” Jonah shouted.

“Nah, you wouldn’t like them Jonah.”

“Please?”

“Maybe if you go fishing with me. I love to tell stories while I’m fishing and I could also use some company.

“Okay! But I don’t have a fishing pole.”

“Don’t worry about that, I’ve got an extra one!”

“Okay!” Jonah smiled.

At that moment Jonah forgot all about his cartoons and the fact that he wanted to get out of there as fast as you can say go. Now all he wanted to do was talk with his grandfather but the time went from 7:00 to 9:00 and it was time to go.

“Goodbye papa!” Jonah smiled.

“Not goodbye Jonah, but see you soon. I’ll pack a lunch for us tomorrow and I’ll come over to pick you up okay?”

“Okay, see you soon!” And he shut the door.

Jonah got home and ran up to bed. He waited for his mother to come up and tuck him in and kiss him goodnight.

“So you’re going fishing with papa tomorrow huh?” She reassured.

Just just smiled and nodded. She tucked him in and kissed him goodnight.

“Get some good sleep tonight. You’ll be in the fresh air all day tomorrow.”

“Yes mother. Goodnight.”

The morning came and Jonah sprang out of bed. He put on a dark blue pair of jeans, a white shirt, and his hat. He went to the bathroom to brush his teeth then ran down the stairs.

“Papa didn’t leave without me did he mom?”

His mom smiled and pointed into the living room. There he was.

“Papa!”

“Hey Jonah. I wanted to wait so you could get some good sleep. Are you ready to go fishing for the first time?”

“Yes!”

“Have a good day boys” said Jonah’s mother as they were walking out the door.

They got in the car and were on their way. His grandfather was taking him to his private fishing spot which had a little old white shack and a dock to fish off of. When they arrived he taught Jonah everything he needed to know about fishing. How to cast, how to put a worm on, and even how to know if he caught one. It was time for them to fish. They walked onto the dock and his grandfather took a seat on an old beat up bucket while Jonah sat on the dock.

“Oh I almost forgot! Jonah if you go into that shack there’s another bucket you can sit on if you’d like. If you sit on the dock it will be hard to reel fish in.”

So Jonah did what he said and got the bucket. It was just like his grandfathers. Old and rusty but he liked it. They casted their poles and waited.

“So papa tell me a story.”

Then it all began. The grandfather was telling stories and Jonah was laughing. It was lunchtime now and Jonah’s grandfather caught 5 fish and Jonah didn’t catch any but he was okay with that, just being on his papa’s side he was having a blast. They went into the shack to eat lunch. It had a little fan in it so they could cool down.

“Papa, do you think I’m gonna catch a fish today?”

“Yes I do Jonah. You’ll catch one.”

They were done lunch and back outside to fish. It was 1:12 and Jonah’s mom wanted him home at 2:00. At this point he was getting disappointed. He loved his papa’s company but he really wanted to catch a fish.

It was now 1:45 and Jonah still hadn’t caught a fish. They started to pack up.

“Maybe next time I’ll catch one papa.” Jonah looked sad.

As he said that out of the corner of the grandfathers eye he saw one jump.

“Jonah! Go cast one more time. Right in that spot right there, you’ll catch one I promise.” He pointed to the spot.

“Okay but I’m not getting my hopes up.”

Jonah casted. A couple minutes went by and nothing.

“Sorry Jonah, I thought…”

“Papa, papa, papa. I think I’m its stuck. It’s hard to reel in.”

“No Jonah! That’s a fish! Reel harder!”

He was right. It was a fish. A big fish. When the fish was reeled in on the dock Jonah let his grandfather take it off the hook.

“You’re first fish Jonah, and our catch of the day. Good job buddy.”

“Yay! Jonah posed. Now what do we do?”

“We let him go Jonah. Everyone deserves to be free.”

Jonah smiled and helped let the fish go and they walked to the car together. When they got to Jonah’s house he walked Jonah in.

“Hey baby! His mother started, “did you have fun fishing?”

“Yes moma! I caught the catch of the day!”

“That’s good Jonah. Why don’t you go watch your cartoons? You earned them.”

“No. I want to hangout with papa some more”

“Oh I wish I could Jonah. But I’m going to go home to take a nap. I’ll be over later for dinner though. We can tell everyone about our day then. How does that sound?”

“Good! See you soon papa.”

He smiled at Jonah and left. Jonah smiled back.

“Mom I’m going outback to play catch with Cooper.”

“Alright son, have fun.”

It was almost 7:00 and Jonah went to wash up. He was dirty this time. His grandparents knocked on the door. Jonah ran and screamed “I’ll get it!”

“Papa!” He shouted and gave his grandfather a hug. “I missed you.”

“I missed you too Jonah. What did your mom make for dinner?”

“Steak and potatoes!” Jonah told him.

“Mmm, can’t wait to eat. Would you like to sit next to me?”

“Yes papa.” Jonah smiled.

Dinner was served and Jonah and his grandfather talked about their day. Everyone was so proud of Jonah.

Dinner was over and it was almost time for them to leave. Everyone was in the living room bonding and watching tv when Jonah asked a great question.

“Papa can I ask you a question.”

“Anything Jonah.”

“Can we go fishing every day? Just me and you?”

“I would love to Jonah.”

He kept his word. They went every single day. Telling stories and laughing. One day Jonah would have the catch of the day and the next his grandfather would. They got laughing so hard one day they fell into the river and scared all the fish away. It took a long time for them to get the next fish so that one was the catch of the day. They were best friends. Jonah would non stop tell stories about him and his grandfather. He was definitely inspired by him. All that came out of his mouth was “papa this and papa that.”

A month passed and Jonah was waiting in the living room for his grandfather to pick him up but he didn’t come. He was an hour late.

“Mom?” Jonah yelled.

“Your moms not here Jonah. She went over to your papa’s early in the morning. She didn’t explain why son.”

Jonah immediately ran out the door ask his father was running after him. His father was too late. Jonah had already opened the door.

“Where’s papa?” Jonah cried.

“Shhh. Jonah. Be quiet baby.” His mother whispered.

“Where is he mom? He forgot to pick me up today. We gotta go fishing”

“Umm…” His mother posed. She didn’t have the heart to tell him.

“Go ahead dear, let him go upstairs to see papa.” His grandmother announced. “Go ahead Jonah. His room in the last door on the right but be very quiet.”

“What’s wrong with him?” Jonah’s father asked his wife.

“You tell him mom.” She said with a tear rolling down on her face.

“You see, he has Sepsis. It’s a condition characterised by a whole-body inflammatory state, which is triggered by another infection. In case of sepsis, the immune system fighting the pathogen invading the body overreacts, which creates widespread inflammation in the bloodstream, bones, vital organs or on the skin. It can kill instantly. The doctor’s came over and checked him out. There is no cure.

Jonah was at his door and slowly went in.

“Papa?”

“Hello Jonah. Come on in don’t be shy.”

“Papa why didn’t you come over? We gotta go fishing. You promised.”

“I know Jonah. I’m sorry. I just can’t. The doctor says I have a bad cold and can’t go fishing today. Maybe tomorrow okay? I’ll have your grandmother call if I can’t make it okay?

“Well are you going to come over for dinner?”

“We’ll see Jonah. I’ll try to make it okay?

“Okay papa. Are you going to be okay?”

“Yes. I’ll always be okay.”

“Good. I love you papa.”

A tear went down his face. “I love you too Jonah.” He stuttered. “Now you run along now okay? I need to rest so I can get better.”

As Jonah went downstairs his grandfather started crying. He knew he was going to die.

“Papa will be okay. We are going fishing tomorrow and he is coming over for dinner tonight.”

“Maybe Jonah.” His mom sobbed. “Hun can you please take Jonah fishing today?”
“Yes. Let’s go Jonah.”
He brought Jonah to a little pond close by.
“Dad this isn’t the right spot!” Jonah shouted. “I want to go to mine and papa’s spot.”
“I don’t know where that is Jonah. I’m sorry buddy. Let’s just fish okay?”
“Okay dad.” He said sadly.
All Jonah could think about was his grandfather. He liked fishing with his dad but it was different. He didn’t tell stories like his grandfather did. They didn’t have any laughs. They didn’t catch as many fish and the fish were much smaller. But Jonah tried to be positive.

“Look Jonah! I got one. It’s the catch of the day.”

“NO!” Jonah screamed. “You can’t say that.”

“Why not Jonah? What’s wrong?”

“That’s what papa and I say. You aren’t papa. You can’t take his place.” He dropped his fishing pole and ran to the car. Jonah’s father quickly picked everything up and got in the car.

“I’m sorry Jonah.”

“He’s not gonna get better is he dad?” Jonah cried.

“I’m afraid not son. He’s only going to get worse. But he needs you Jonah. You’re the only one he wanted to see. Be positive for him okay?”

Jonah started crying. He hugged his dad for a few minutes and then they went back to the house.

Later that night they got a call. Jonah started to smile. He thought that they were coming over for dinner.

“Oh my gosh we’ll be right there.” Jonah’s mom gasped and hung up the phone. “Jonah get in the car we have to go.”

“Where are we going mom?”

“The hospital.” She cried. “Don’t ask questions just hurry and get into the car.”

His mind was racing. What was going on? Was it his grandfather? He prayed it wouldn’t be.

They arrived at the hospital and went to the emergency room. Jonah knew what was going on. His grandmother greeted them at the door and told them to be very quiet and go in one by one. She told them that he wasn’t going to last more than 10 minutes. Jonah was the last one to go in.

“Papa?” He tried to hold back tears.

“Hello Jonah. Come on in and come here.”

Jonah was scared, he started to cry harder. But he remembered what his father told him. To be positive so he went over to his bed and held his hand.

“Papa, you said you were going to be okay.” He huffed and stuttered.

“I am Jonah. I’m always okay.”

“Papa you can’t go. I need you.”

“I’ll always be with you Jonah.” His voice was fading.

“Papa?”

He didn’t respond.

“PAPA!” He shouted.

“Jonah I want you to have this. It’s a key to that old shack. I want you to go there tomorrow. I’ll be there Jonah. Goodbye Jonah. I love you.

“Papa, it’s never goodbye. I’ll see you soon.” And that was it.

He died right in front of him. Holding his hand. His mother came in and grabbed him. Jonah kicked and screamed. He didn’t want to leave him. Everyone was crying now. It was 4:00 in the morning when Jonah was taken home by his father. He had fallen asleep so it wasn’t hard getting him in the car.

Jonah woke up in the next couple hours. He looked in his parents room and they were sound asleep. He remembered what his grandfather said so he went to their fishing spot.

“I know you’re here papa. I’m so happy I spent half my summer with you. You were there for me when no one else was. You’re my best friend papa. Please come back soon. I know you will. Or make this a dream papa.” He sobbed and put his elbows on his knees. “I guess you’re the catch of the day papa. God chose you. Oh but I wished he didn’t. I’m leaving now papa. Mom and dad are going to get up soon. I’ll come visit a lot. I love you.” And he left.

“Every now and then, I still visit that little shack near the river, sit on that bucket, close my eyes, and pretend it’s all still the same.”