newyork found water | Teen Ink

newyork found water

By adrizzy15, tucson, Arizona
adrizzy15, Tucson, Arizona

trust aint enough, if theres no honesty

“man I aint tryna move” Drayla said.“then don’t” Andréa said.“Andréa I have no choice, why is my mom even doing this I told her im trying to stay out of trouble” Drayla said.“Yea yo mams is trippin. New York not that bad.
(Shooting sounds)
What the hell was that” Drayla said all out of breath from running.Andrea! Andrea! Where you at! Andrea!As Drayla walks back to where the shooting took place she is overwhelmed by the body of her former best friend.“Andréa! Please wake up. Andrea don’t do this to me. Someone…help please!!”
My name is Drayla A Thomas I’m 17 and black. I was a witness to my best friends murder.

.Moms says moving to this island in Georgia will be good for us, pssh I doubt it. Only island ive heard of is Staten Island, crazy place.“Baby you’re going to love it there” mom said.“yea whateva ma” Drayla said.“I understand youre still hurt about Andréa’s death but this is our new start so fix the attitude” mom said“ shit ma give me a”“who are you cussing at because last time I checked im the one who birth you out show me some respect, don’t think you grown because you’re 17 shit! Ill show you a grown woman”. Mom said angrily“ight ma, sorry” drayla said.Only if I died with andrea that day by that busted car on her street maybe I wouldn’t have to suffer.Crossing the bridge to this mystery island felt like forever. Ugh why don’t I just jump out and end it now naw only suckas do that.“dray dray” mom kept saying“yea ma” drayla said“where ten minutes away from our new home” mom said all excitedYou’ll love it here. You’ll make new and better friends” mom said
Trying to zone my moms ignorance out of my head. I try to keep a open mind about this strange place.“man ma!! Where all the black people at” drayla said“drayla!!” mom said“ma” drayla said“there some here but not many” mom said“now I know how prince of bel air felt lol” drayla said“ugh dray please.. shut up” mom said
We drove up to this medium size house by the beach. It was nice but its not what im use to.“where’s the apartments at ma” Drayla said“DRAYLA!!”“What?”“get your head out of the ghetto, act like you got some sense”“I aint even tryna be” Drayla said“what!!” mom said“Nothing ma” Drayla said“That’s what I thought. Get the damn bags” mom saidI’m no slave” Drayla said“ you’re my slave(laughing)” mom said“(Laughing) yea whateva ma” Drayla saidEven if I don’t like this island, I love my mom. Next week I start school at bellview hight. Bellview? What kind of name is that I swear the white people here.“ma”drayla said“ma” drayla repeated louder.“ma!!” drayla said once more“Where can I go in this no mans land” drayla said“go walk and find out little girl” mom said “ma what if I get lost?” drayla said“you scared now” mom said laughing“ shit naw I aint neva scared” drayla said tryna act bold“then go”mom said“fine” drayla said with attitude“fine” mom said“ok” Drayla said“bye dray” mom said
“but ma!!” Drayla said “BYE DRAY!!”mom said all loud
“walking on this hot sand thinking shit this sand is hot I thought its suppose to be cool since its on the beach. This kind of pretty. Ugh I’m really not tryna like this place
In med thought Drayla is bumped by a guy who seemed like he did it on purpose.“what the f*** is wrong with you” Drayla said angrily.“im sorry, I dint see you there” the guy said“yo ass was just looking at me whatcho mean you didn’t see me” drayla said“ahh” he tried to say“don’t cut me off, I already don’t like this town now I got you bumping in to me and shit. Like who do you think you is” drayla said“hahahahahaha” he started laughing.“oh now im funny ill show you something funny”She slapped him across the face.“uhh what was that for” shocked by the slap“for laughing at me, I bet you wont do it again” drayla said
It was time for me to go back home before I hurt somebody. Walking back home all I could think about was the guy slapped today he was rude but fine. Tall black, buff and he had dreads mmm.

Today is the first day of school. I don’t know if I should be excited or want to cry. This town is so white just imagine how the school is going to be.Moms tryna have wear this girly shit,Ha! Ive never in my life wore the shit she picked out for me. Ugh moms tryna change me, im not having it.“ ma what the hell is this” drayla said“ excuss you” mom said in shock“whats this” drayla said“its called clothes” mom said sarcasticly“ yea clothes I don’t wear” drayla said“oh well your wearing them” mom said“why” drayla said upset about the clothes“because I said so and why do you insist on looking like a boy” mom said why picking at the clothes.“that’s my style” drayla said“mmm” mom said“what!!” drayla said curious on what her moms thinking.“nothing, I better have grandbaby in the future” mom said laughing“wow ma did you just try me” drayla said“well”“Goodnight”“what you mad now hahahaha you’ll get over it”“night!!”
Moms wakes me up at 6:30 am knowing school starts at 8, I swear she hates me sometimes“good morning hunny” mom said“hey ma” drayla said“well since im not really sure about this town the next door neighbors son will be walking you to school” mom said“what!!, ma no” drayla said“dray why do you always have to be so complicated” mom said“ ugh” drayla said
( knock knock)
“hey how are you” he said“I’m fine, come in” mom said“thank you” he said“your name is?” mom said“james Edwards” james said “james?, nice name, well im Ms. Thomas and this here is my daughter drayla but we call her dray” mom said“ I think ive met you before at the beach” he said kind of laughing“ yes you have” drayla said with attitude“ drayla don’t give him attitude” james said “this is my attitude with everyone” drayla said“dray” mom said“what” drayla said“dray!!” mom said“Lets go to school man” drayla said“ok, well see you later? Ms. Thomas” james said feeling akward“so” james said tryna get drayla to talk“sooo what”“why are you so mean”“ ha mean? You ncall this mean. Man you haven’t seen mean yet”“ I don’t have to walk you I was only tryna be ni..”“then don’t” drayla said rudely while walking away from james.

Walking away from him I knew for a fact I was going to be in trouble when I got home. I don’t know how but the principle knew my situation but just like usual I got “are you ok?” “how are you dealing with this” and like always I said“im cool, shit happens people die”.It was very insensitive of me but talking about wasn’t going to bring her back. CLASS? Haha som many white people but wait! There was one black person james ughh f*** my life.“hey dray” james said“ugh” drayla said“ook?”james said“you don’t have to talk to me” drayla said“but I want to” james said“well let me rephrase this, I DON’T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!!!” drayla said“why” james said“ms?” drayla said“ms!!!?” drayla said“ah ms” drayla said“you mean ms penny” teacher said“ can I move my seat” drayla said“ is there something wrong with yours” teacher said“no” drayla said“Then no” teacher said“ughhhhhh” drayla said“I guess youre stuck by me lol” james said“Ms.” drayla said“MS please” drayla saidThat day at school was the worst . I cant believe this fool was in most of my classes. I swear my mom did this to be spiteful.
“ how was your say dray” mom said“horrible, james is so annoying” drayla said“he likes you” mom said“naw hes not my type” drayla said“oh why because he aint hood” mom said“exactly” drayla said
I wonder if he really does like me. Wouldn’t that be something? Wait why am I even thinking about this, I don’t want him.. I think. Again today james is walking me to. Ughhh does my mom think im going to get kidnapped by ocean creatures or something.“ are you going to walk away from me again” James said“no” drayla said“so, why don’t you like me” James said“who said I didn’t like you” drayla said“why are you so mean to me” James said“that’s just how I am” drayla said“but why” James said“no reason” drayla said“theres a reason” James said“ight whats the reason, huh what is it” drayla said“youre hurt” James said
]At that moment all I could think about was andrea and how much I miss talking to her.“ what are you thinking about” James said“nothing” drayla said“drayla don’t shut me out” James said“you don’t even know me” drayla said“youre not letting” James said
He grabbed my arm and pulled to him. Ahh I melted. His hugs felt like alittle bit of heaven. I didn’t want to let go the smell of this boy was something serious.“ drayla” James said“drayla” James repeated“hey!!”james yelled“huh” drayla said“youre kind od julling on me lol” drayla said“no im not” James said“lol” drayla said“what” drayla said“your cute” james said“shut up” drayla said“why can you just take the compliment” James said“ugh thank you ” drayla said“? Your mouth” James said“what?” drayla said“ its so foul sometimes” James said“so whats the problem”Oh so you like having a dirty mouth huh?” James said“ I like being dirty” drayla said“oh really” James said“yess, you wanna find out” drayla said“drayla?” James said“what?” drayla said“nothing drayla said”“lets go” drayla said“where are we going” James said drayla said“somewhere, just follow me” drayla said
I found this cave by the beach. I wanted to show him what I use to do in new York. As things started happening I felt like I was on a cloud or something. He made me feel love and beautiful something ive never felt before.“wow” drayla said“yea….” James said“whats wrong”“nothing” james said as he kissed me“you want to go to school now” james said“ you still want to go” drayla said“yea, lets go” James said“why” drayla said“well im going to school” James said“ok!!, wait can I have another kiss”. drayla said“sure” as he kneeled down to kiss her she tried to pull him down to he. James said“drayla stop!” James said“why” drayla said“im done, i.. we have to go to school” James said“well im not tryna go” drayla said“then stay” James said

I wasn’t trying to here anything he was saying to because I didn’t give a shit, but what he said I could never forget. He told he was a merman. The hell is that!. He said if I didn’t believe him he would show me and he did at the cave were we made our connection. I didn’t know what to say to him. But now I know why he acted the way he did. He told me he couldn’t be with me because around this time him and hes sister swim to this place under the sea for a year, a whole year they cant leave the water. I was crushed beyond repair. A monthlater after watching him go back to sea I found out I was about a month pregnant. Shit! Is the only word I could say and feel. I had nobody to help go through this. Im only 17 I shouldn’t be having a baby but if this means ill have a piece of james then I guess ill get over it. 5 months past and I refused to go to the doctor , I didn’t care to know what was going on or what I was having. Later that day I visited the cave that beach again and there he was. James!! Is all I could say, drayla “I missed you” he said are you back for good” I said no but I see you have been blessed with a gift he said all curious but sad” I bet he’s a happy man he continued” its yours james”. The face he game when I told him that he was the one who blessed me with this gift he tried to dragg himself out of the water but he couldn’t. six more months is all I could think of six more months and ill have him and baby in my arms once more
The last three month of my pregnancy were brutal. I had some many damn complications and on top of that my birthday was a few weeks ago. My mom was excited but scared, I was scared because my baby might come out as a fish. How ima explain that. 13 hours later I gave birth to beautiful twins. Wait!! I didn’t know I was even having twins aww hell. Anyway I named them andrea and james jr. for the next three months my babies weren’t doing good at all, they started to look sick like they’ve been starving im to scared to lose them, but then theres a knock on the door. Its james. He see the babies and knows exactly whats wrong. “They need sea water dray” he says, I should of told you they need to be in water around this time. As he took my kids to the water. The palness of their skin started to change, they were smiling. My family is together.