The Daisy Chain | Teen Ink

The Daisy Chain

July 12, 2013
By Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
More by this author
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
114 articles 0 photos 97 comments

Favorite Quote:
"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")


They are always talking about the war.




















Every night, by the fire, they plan their revenge.
















Because we must win. That I have known all my life. Because if we don’t…then we’re worse than dead.
































We are the rebels, lying in wait. Seeking opportunity.

















But the government does not strike yet. They are waiting, too.














I hope it is us who start direct attack. I hope it is us who look into the faces of the dying enemy as we burn their nation to dust.


























I hope that one day, this will all be a distant memory. But for now, the best I can hope for is to stay safe. Stay hidden. Survive.


























My father hands me a can of something sticky and familiar. Tomato soup again.




















No matter how many times I taste it, it is always the same. And I always go to bed with that same clench of vomit in my chest.



























I hate tomato soup.

They are always talking about the war.























It is something I have learnt not to mention. Something I can ignore, most of the time. It is not for my ears, mother says.




























All I know is, bitter citizens of our country are angry. They want to kill us all. Kill our country with violence and fear.



























They want us to die.




























I am standing outside my father’s office, my ear pressed against the door. They are talking in hushed voices, as always.




























We children mustn’t hear about the war.





















We know some things, of course. How we are only allowed in certain areas. Only allowed in our own homes, school, or a trusted friend’s house. We never get to go anywhere.











But it’s for our own protection. Because father says if a rebel got hold of any Government child, they would kidnap, torture and murder them.

















Personally, I’d rather stay in than be shot.

I listen closely to the careful talk of my Dad, of my Mum, and Marco. Marco is Dad’s best friend, and in many ways, his right-hand man. Dad is a rebel leader, and he needs all the advisers he can get.





























Because we are losing.























And if you lose? You forfeit your life.























I stick my grimy silver spoon into the jagged can, wincing a little as I cut my finger on the pointed edge. I forget, every time, that tin soup has teeth.














“We need to work on a new strategy,” Dad’s voice is low; fierce, his blue eyes sharp and searching.


































“I’d say we’re too weak to attempt an assault at the moment,” Marco says, his dark skin weather beaten and rough from years of struggle. “They’d crush us.” As he speaks, he squashes his soup can in his hand, as if to demonstrate quite how breakable we are.






I don’t like where the conversation is going. I don’t want us to be the underdogs. That is who we have been for as long as I can remember. The fragile, starving citizens. They are laughing at us, those Government people, and it fills me with rage.













“I don’t see why we can’t fight yet,” I say resentfully, looking across the fire and at my father.
































“You heard Marco,” Dad says in a weary voice. “We need to build up an army first. And armies need numbers.”




































I don’t answer.
































We have numbers. So who’s afraid to fight?






















I’m not. I’d pick up a gun right now and shoot all of them dead if I could. I’m not an idiot, of course. I know I’d be killed before I even got there. But if I could sign up – if I could be a soldier – I would be. Without hesitation. What have I got to lose?












One way or another, we can’t sit here for the rest of our lives. Plans can only get you so far. I wish we could just hunt them down and end it all.
























The fire flickers in front of me, a hissing ball of destruction. For a moment I imagine it is my anger, bottled up in flames, ready to explode. I imagine the looks on the faces of the militants as we blow their system to pieces.




























I want to hold them all to surrender as they hold us at their mercy now; blast their expensive houses to the ground and make them watch us build a new empire.












Of course, you rarely get what you want on our side.

















“Have some bread,” my mother passes me a tiny white loaf, her hair tangled and eyes ringed with shadows. “And don’t get involved.”



















Yeah, don’t get involved. Like I don’t hear. Like I don’t see what is being done to us – like I’m just a stupid kid. Well, I know a lot more than my mother would like to think. And she can talk, anyway. This is the woman who went into combat when she was eight weeks pregnant with twins. Steve and me. It’s a shame I’m a twin, because to be honest, I’d rather not have a brother.























“I can’t help it,” I know my voice is angrier than it needs to be, but I can’t seem to help that, either. “It’s all any of you talk about.”






























“Darling, when you’re older –” Mum starts to say.



















“I’m thirteen,” I tell her. “And when you were my age –”


















“Things were different then!” she says, pressing a finger to her temple. “We had no choice.”


































“Then we have something in common,” I say coolly, and watch the pain flick across her face.




































“You have a choice, Logan,” Mum says softly. “You don’t have to fight.”












But I do. Because really, I have never had a choice.





















This war is beyond me. Beyond my years. By the time I was born, the conflict had already started to divide our once united country. On one side, you have the Rebels – the poor, the poverty-stricken, the outcasts – and on the other, you have the Government forces. Militants. They control everything we do, everything we eat, everything within their reach. And now we’re fighting back. How can I not be a part of that?










I want to end this too. And besides – in my world, there is no alternative. If we lose, we go back to how we were before – mistreated, abused, the wards of the state.








But if we win…we can make things fair for everyone. And nobody will ever have to go to bed with their stomachs raw from hunger. Never again.


















All we want is freedom. All we want is our own nation. Why can’t they just leave us be?












I kick the soup can away from me. They can’t leave us alone because they want to destroy us. No, death would be too easy. It’s like Marco says. They want to crush us.







If I am ever captured, I will kill myself as soon as I can. And maybe shoot some of them on the way down.
































So, no, I don’t have a choice. But I have options. And I choose to fight.










We are the rebels. We do not back down, hide in our fancy homes. We are poor, dirty, desperate, but we know who we are and what we stand for. And I swear, I’d rather have tomato soup everyday for the rest of my life than spend one day as a Government boy.







I don’t realize Dad has sat down beside me until I hear his voice. He sounds strangely far away, like he’s speaking through a radio. And I’m not altogether sure I want to know what he is about to say.




























“I know you’re frustrated, son,” he says in a tired voice, and I try to remember he should be plotting his next move against the Government, not talking to me.













Even so, I can’t stop thinking he really doesn’t know how I feel. I’m not frustrated – I just want to fight. What’s the problem with that? I thought we all did. I thought that was the point – fight and destroy the enemy. Win. Don’t they want to win?
































If they’re expecting tears, then I don’t expect their plan to outsmart the Government to work.






































“We have to plan,” Dad says anyway. “Or we don’t stand a chance.”

















A shiver runs through me, but I pretend I was just trying to cool down. Luckily he is too distracted to notice. I sometimes think people forget how old I am.














There’s Mum, treating me like a three year old, and Dad, acting like I’m one of his rebel friends, like I should understand their strategies and their waiting and their sitting around the fire instead of taking the oppressors on. I think they are the ones missing the point, actually.

































There doesn’t seem to be any point in sticking around, so I drop my can in the filthy plastic bag we call a bin and walk to my bedroom. The door is rusty and scratched with age-long marks; and on a paper plaque, is the name ‘Logan’. I’m lucky enough that I don’t have to share with Steve.





























My bedroom is a dirty pit; full of vests with holes and ragged t-shirts and jumpers with angry stains. Even a burn mark on one from the time they burnt down the market stall.





I sit for a long time on my lumpy green mattress, wondering if things will get better soon. If we’ll ever live free from fear.



























I hate fear. It is the undoing of everyone, if you let it be. But I won’t. And the only way to drive out fear is to pretend it doesn’t exist.























I find myself walking over to the window, pulling the curtains back. Across the road is the hospital, filled with people too weak with hunger to carry on.



















Either that or the fever’s got them. My Dad always says that if you catch that, you’re a goner.









































I wipe a smudge of dirt away from the window frame, watching a man outside mumble to himself. That’s nothing new. But I think it’s an illness of an entirely new kind.









I don’t think the hospital can cure him. I don’t think anybody can.



















The man can see me now; and his blank eyes become pencilled with fury. He runs to the window and starts shouting things I can’t hear, dribble running down his unshaven chin.



I would call out to him, but he’d probably just start screaming then.












I realize I do know this man. It’s Sam, the guy who used to run the grocery store that got blown up. Rumour has it he lost his mind when his wife went up in flames with it.






I remember her, funnily enough. She knew none of us had much money to spare, so she always used to give us free bars of chocolate. It was the first time I had ever tasted something so sweet.






























Since she died, the only treat I’ve had is marshmallows. I make a habit of collecting them in my room.


































For a moment, the man locks my gaze, and I don’t need to hear the words to know what he’s saying. I close the curtain and lie down on my mattress, knowing I won’t be able to sleep now.

They’re coming out now.



























I leap back into my bedroom just in time as my father and his official-looking friends march out, faces grim and dark with some new strain.















That was too close. But, since I’m told nothing, there’s only one way for me to find things out. It’s an old art; eavesdropping. Works every time.




















The same longing for knowledge burns in my chest. Somehow, I have to know what’s in that office.





































But I’ve left it too late. Mother’s calling me for dinner.























Letting out a heavy sigh, I tramp down the long gold staircase. On the walls are various photographs of soldiers; both dead and alive. And along another wall is a framed picture of the Granddad I never met. He was in charge before father. Part of me wishes he’d stayed alive to run the place. That way it would feel like I have more than one parent.










Mother is waiting with plates of softly smelling meat balls. She is beautiful as ever; her carefully curled gold hair to her shoulders, green eyes framed with long black lashes, and rosy cheeks bright and unchanged by make-up. She is in another of her dresses; the pretty blue one with the white bird on front. The material is so soft I want to hug her, but then she’d probably tell me ‘not to crease the dress’ like every other time.










“Ah, there you are,” Mother says with a smile layered with pink lipstick. “Eat your dinner up quickly, sweetheart. It’s getting cold.”






















It’s not. It feels like a radiator to me. But I sit down on a tall black chair, and wonder why, like every night, a family of four needs to use the large glass dining table for every meal. I mean, I can understand when father’s got his soldiers round, but that rarely happens anymore. There isn’t much time for social gatherings. The Rebels aren’t giving up, and security is tightening. This just means even less fun for all the kids here. Yes, everything’s so pretty and expensive…but none of it means anything. Not one object in this house. School is even worse. It looks like a big grey prison with its bars and the uniformed men and women outside. You’d think we’re about to be bombed every ten seconds. I doubt that. The Rebels are gaining in numbers, yes, but they are weak in military power where we are strong. Father is the General, and he rules everything. It is his job to stamp on the opposition.


























“Coming to Rose’s tonight?” my twin brother Seth asks from across the table.









I shake my head. I know where I really need to be while everyone else is out and distracted. And it isn’t at my best friend’s house.

















“Why not?” he says, usually excitable green eyes seeming to wilt like a winter flower.





“I’m busy,” I tell him a little too stoutly. I silently hope he won’t get suspicious. “I have to get that history essay done. According to Mr Jones, I’m on my ‘last chance’.”





Seth waves an airy hand. “Since when have you cared about lessons?” he says fairly.





I think back. OK, so my record isn’t exactly clean. It drives mother mad. Apparently, as the General’s daughter, I have a reputation to uphold. It just seems like another way they can take away the fun.































“I don’t,” I say with a roll of my eyes. “But I do care about being grounded. Tell Rose I said hi, yeah?”
































Seth gives a reluctant grumble. But I know he’ll still go. Since forever, he’s had this really cute crush on her. But for such a clever girl, Rose seems to have noticed nothing. I’ve always thought of my brother as pretty backwards in terms of maturity, but whenever Rose is around, he is the model of what all girls want. I think Rose might like this other boy, though. Sorry Seth.





























I make excuses soon after that, knowing my time is limited. But I think it’s okay. Mother is going into town to see a friend. Seth is going to Rose’s house. And father’s just left. But if he returns and I’m still in the office – well, he’ll probably execute me himself.













I stand up and take my empty plate to the sink. Our cleaner, Tara, is already loaded down with various different cups and plates. Probably from when father and his army friends had a tea break.
































Tara is in her late teens, and I think she just wants to make some extra money before she goes to university. Most people in our area have plenty of money, but there are those who do not have so much.

























In fact, the currency was recently changed. We used to use tiny paper notes – they were so cute – but they were soon replaced by gold, silver and bronze. Five bronze coins equals one silver. And ten silver equals one gold piece. That’s how things work around here now. If it seems a little medieval, no one mentions it. And I have to admit, I kind of prefer having loads of coins to jangle in my pockets. They look like cool monuments; like little pieces of history. They’re almost too pretty to spend – but then again, I mostly have things paid for me. I don’t know why. I suppose it’s because my parents are important. Well, you can’t really get more important than General where we come from. Father gets to make all the decisions.




























I tiptoe up the stairs and quietly creep to the office. It is slightly ajar; but empty, I’m sure of it. I turn the brass knocker and enter.























It is as neat and stern as Father himself. Everything is stacked into ruler-straight piles; and even the black tilting chair is shiny and sprayed with hygienic liquid.











But then I see it. The one thing that has failed to fall into place.














The piece of paper is lying on the fluffy red carpet. It must have fallen from the desk above it.






































Before I’m conscious of what I’m doing, my body is bending down and I am picking it up. ‘Operation Hamish’, it reads. Well, I don’t know what that’s about, but it seems really boring.




































I’m about to root through some more drawers when something catches my eye. A small, almost unnoticeable crack in the perfect white plaster.

















But I have noticed it.































I lift the huge painting covering it and see something I have never seen before – at least, not in a wall. It’s a hole! A big, hidden hole.

































But who put it there?

































Again, my body seems to have a will of its own, because I am soon shuffling inside – and yes, it was built for someone small.


























It’s a tunnel, I think, a huge tunnel.




























Quickly, I drag the painting back over the crack. Someone clever designed it for precisely this purpose. Now I am left trapped in the almost darkness.


































I know I should probably go back; I know this is dangerous, but this is too good an opportunity to pass up. My knees are scrambling in dirt I have never really been able to feel before. And suddenly, I want to roll in it like some filthy animal. But when you come from a place like mine, freedom is the only thing in the world that is limited.










We have money. We have beautiful clothes. We have food on the table everyday; three meals a day. Even snacks in-between; dessert. We have everything but the power to travel; to explore. To experience new things.





















I hate this war for taking that away from us.























The further I tunnel through, the more light that reaches my adjusting eyes. Someone’s lit lamps along the underground corridor, and I want to thank them with a thousand gold coins, because without the light, I am completely in the darkness. It strikes me I have never been somewhere so dark; so grimy. But strangely enough, I don’t feel the fear I know I should.































Because this is forbidden. More than that…this could lead anywhere. I almost feel like I’ve fallen through Narnia, only I’m not sure it was so unclean in the wardrobe, and I think there was more than one child.






























My fingers come away grey with dust. Yuck. That stuff’s everywhere; even coated in the corners, where the spiders and the cobwebs lie.

























The hole is seeming to go on forever – surely nothing can go on forever?












The more sensible voice at the back of my head, the one that sounds like my bodyguard, tells me that maybe while this thing doesn’t go on forever, it might be hours before I end this journey. And end it where? I have no idea, but the fact I don’t know where I am going – the fact this isn’t home or school or Rose’s house – sends a thrill deep in my bones.






When my hands are blackened with coal and my left foot is twisted from where I got it caught on a rock, I think I see something. I think I see the end of the tunnel.














With almost desperate steps, I crawl to the end of the hole; and yes, there’s a door. Just big enough for a child to fit through.























My fingers have already decided to open it when it is done for me.


















And the first thing I see is a pair of curious brown eyes.

Spy. The first thing I think is spy.

































Because this girl is no Rebel. That much is obvious.





















For a moment we stare at each other, this girl and I. Her pale gold hair is long and straight down her back; her skin tanned white, her eyes the strangest shade of apple-scotch green. Yes, she is just a girl – but she’s from the other side.












She looks around my age, only smaller. Would they really send her to do their dirty work?






As I am thinking this, another thought comes to mind. A memory of my Dad, telling me to never underestimate the enemy. Never underestimate the lengths they will go to get what they want.
































I should call Dad, Marco, Mum. They’re still outside, by the fire. I should tell someone.





So why am I hesitating?






























She is the first one to speak.































“I came here by accident,” she says – but, far from sounding scared, her voice is smooth; confident. But is that because she’s here on a mission?




































I can’t work out what to do. I know what they would do with this girl – take her, question her, maybe hold her to ransom. She looks rich enough. There’s this glow about her that suggests she has never gone a day without food.


















I’m willing to bet she would be a very useful weapon for us. But somehow I’m rooted to the spot, unable to say anything. If I’m like this because of a squeaky clean Government girl, then how will I ever shoot the enemy to death?

















Or is she the enemy?


































The girl holds out her hand. “I’m Summer,” she says, and her smile is so open and friendly I can’t help trusting her. For a second. Is this a trick? Am I being played?

















But apparently, manners still matter, because I find myself saying: “I’m Logan.”










“Um – do you think you could help me out?” the girls says, her eyes trained on my face.




Jeez, I think, she’s really beautiful.






























I shake my head to clear it. This is why they have sent her. They want to trap me. Don’t they?































I don’t know. Should I help her?






























Well, she doesn’t look armed. Still, what if she has a companion, gun in hand?














I can’t risk it.






































“Prove you’re alone first,” I say.































The girl, Summer, rolls her eyes. “In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m kind of stuck at the moment. You’ll just have to trust me.”

























Trust her? She’s one of them. I don’t care how young she is, she could be poisonous under that innocent exterior.



























But something deep in my stomach – call it instinct – tells me this girl is no danger. But how did she get here?





























One way to find out.































Cursing, I take her hand and pull her out of the hole I never knew existed. How did it get here?
























































She winces a little as she steps into my room, and it’s then I notice she’s twisted her foot. There’s no one behind her. She needs my help. I know where to get a bandage. But what would my family, my friends, say if they knew? This girl looks like she could afford the cost of any medical treatment. But she hasn’t got anything right now. If I don’t help her, or if I tell someone, does that make me a bad person?
















Or if I do, am I a traitor?






























“Wait here,” I say without looking at her. “Don’t move.”

















Sighing, I walk out of my bedroom without thinking of who’s in it, and root in the kitchen drawer. There’s one clean one left.




































I take it back to my room, where my little guest is gazing around like she’s never seen anything like it. It’s then I see what’s in her hands. One of the only valuable items I have. The Swiss army knife I got from my Dad on my eleventh birthday. Summer is turning it round in her fingers like it’s made of gold.

















Or is she feigning interest and really planning to turn my own defence against me?























“Sorry, I didn’t hear you come back in,” she says with an apologetic smile. I wait for her to put it back in the drawer, but she keeps staring at it. “I’ve always wanted one of these,” she adds without lifting her gaze from the object in her hands.


























Yeah, I bet she has. Probably so she can murder us all in cold blood.













I give a little cough, and she blushes a little and puts the knife back.














“Thanks for the bandage,” she says, taking it and wrapping it round her foot. I’m reluctantly surprised. I didn’t know they did first aid where she comes from.







“No problem,” I say. “But you do realize you’re dead if you’re found?”













Summer raises her eyebrows. “Why? Will your family kill me?” She doesn’t even look a little bit scared.




























I can’t help laughing at this, though it’s not funny at all. There are some here who’d shoot her dead in a heartbeat. Doesn’t she understand that? Doesn’t she’s know she’s walked right into the enemy lair?






























































All I can say is, she’s lucky it’s my bedroom that tunnel led to. And even I considered dropping her in it. Am still considering it. Because what does it make me if I keep her hidden?




































“So what’s your story?” I say.





























“Oh, I broke into an office,” she says. “And then I saw this weird crack in the wall – so I lifted this huge ugly painting, and there was the hole. It took ages for me to get to the end of it. That’s where you come in.”























I can’t contain myself any longer.
























“What were you thinking?” I say almost angrily. “Don’t you know you could be killed?”





“I didn’t know where it led,” Summer says with a shrug. “And I figured I’d take my chances.”


































Well, you’ve got to admire guts like that. She broke into some rich Government officials’ office and went through a hole that could have led anywhere? Crazy. Insanely stupid.





“You probably think I’m an idiot,” she says. “But it’s just…we never get to do anything back home. It’s so boring.”





























And then she starts to tell me what it’s really like to live as a Government child. How they are told nothing, protected wherever they go, have armed soldiers round every block. She tells me about her school, a big grey building with officers guarding the door. It’s then I learn the kids there have a remarkably different timetable. Where we are trained, they learn useless parts of history; learn to play the piano and write essays and speak in grammatically correct sentences. It’s then I learn they are not trained in combat at all.







They must be so arrogant, so confident in their numbers that they think they won’t need the soldiers of tomorrow. They think their children do not need to learn how to fight. Well, I’ve got news for them. They will all die when we invade. I don’t think this with malice or bloodthirsty hope. It’s the truth. If they aren’t even handy with knives, what are they going to do when we come with our guns; our fierce determination? How are they going to live as the second-class citizens when they have been pampered their whole lives?
































“I was hoping you could teach me,” Summer says, biting her lip. Then she shakes her head. “No, you won’t want to. It’s okay, I understand.”

















Damn this girl with her sweet friendliness and her trusting smile and her cute Government accent. Damn her for landing in my bedroom. Because I almost want to teach her. I almost wish she wasn’t one of them.

















But she is. The trouble is, she’s starting to feel more like a friend than an enemy. And that is very dangerous, because how will I kill her friends, her family? How can I watch her face as we tear their Government apart?
























And I want to build a new system. I want us to win. I just wish this girl had been born on our side. She doesn’t act like she’s one of them. Well, not that I’ve ever seen one in person, but we’ve all heard the stories. How they are posh, stuck up, think we’re scum. But this girl has sat in my grubby bedroom and not said a single word against it, and I can bet she lives in the lap of luxury. She hasn’t even batted an eyelid.














This must seem like such a dump to her.



































When the girl sees the time, she lets out a little shriek – and a swear word, which sounds odd coming from her mouth. You’d have thought they were more disciplined than that.



She sees me staring.





































“I’m always being grounded for that,” she says with a raise of her eyebrows, like she couldn’t care less her side is so strict when it comes to thirteen-year-olds using words they apparently shouldn’t know. “But I don’t see the point. It’s just a word.” She gets up more steadily than I’d have thought, with her foot.





















“What are they going to say about the injury?” I say as she prepares to go back through.















Summer shrugs. “I’ll think of something,” she says with a mischievous grin. She starts to clamour in the hole, but at the last minute turns back.























“And by the way,” she says. “I stole a marshmallow.”























She gives me a final smirk, pops the sweet in her mouth, and shuts the door behind her.









I try to work out whether I should be angry, but all I can seem to feel is shock.











Maybe I imagined the whole thing.


























I sit down on my mattress for a long time, and decide she’s not so bad after all.









For a Government girl.

I wake up thinking it was all a dream.























It seemed real at the time, but in the cold light of morning; in my warm, glossy bedroom, it seems like an illusion.





































And if it was, then I don’t care. It’s the most exciting thing I’ve ever done. This even tops playing a prank on my bodyguard to stop him knowing I’d gone to my friend Amanda’s pool party. This is even better than the time I slipped off to town by myself and brought that beautiful pearl.



























If I concentrate, I can almost smell the faint taste of marshmallow, melting on my tongue. I’ve tasted many different things over the years, but I think that one may have been the sweetest. Maybe because it was stolen.























Who’d have thought accidentally stumbling on a hole would led to all this?












I step out of bed, my toes brushing the plush white carpet. It’s a Monday morning, and that means school, but for the first time, I’m smiling on this day.












My brother Seth isn’t in such a good mood.
























“We have double history,” he says when we’re seated at the table for Breakfast.







Oh crap. I was supposed to do that essay later!

















“Wait for me after school?” I say as we’re spooning up sugary cereal.













“Why?” he says. “You did do the homework, didn’t you?” he sees my face. “Summer! It was only one stupid sheet. And it’s already overdue.”


























I shrug. “I went to bed early,” I say. “I had a headache.”

















“Try telling that to Mr Jones,” Seth says.

























“Yes, alright, Mr Moral,” I say sourly, pushing the bowl away. “On second thoughts, I’m not hungry.”

































Then I think of the Rebel boy’s bedroom; small and covered in dirt, clothes with rips and the crumbling ceiling above. I think of those who are starving, even though they want to kill us, and spoon up every last piece.
























“You changed your mind,” Seth says, grabbing his rucksack.
















“Let’s just go,” I say, tying my hair into a long ponytail down my chest. “We’re going to miss the bus.”




























































Yes, the bus. I hate that big old thing. It’s silver like everything else outside; with black wheels sharp enough to shred your fingernails. The driver, a grumpy man with a grey moustache, has a personal vendetta against kids. According to old legend, he’s forced to take us to school as a punishment for something he did in the past. If you’re ever late, he drives the bus and pretends he hasn’t seen you, even though he knows you’ll get in trouble at school. But our bodyguard usually makes sure we get there on time.
































His name is Frank. He wears a simple black suit, and never says anything that isn’t part of his instructions. I once asked him if he had kids, and he reported me to my father.







I was grounded for two weeks.
























But in a funny way, I was kind of glad, because it was the first time I had spoken to him in five months. Father is very busy with all his work.





























For a moment, I wonder what he would say if he found out I was at a Rebel’s boy house last night. Well, it seemed like more of a hut but it was homely all the same. Cosy. Like it had been lived in. Not like here.





















We make the bus with five minutes to spare. I give the driver a cheerful hello, but he just sighs at me. I got off lightly. You should see what he says to the kids he doesn’t like.




And anyway, he has to be nice to me because my father is his boss. Everyone’s boss, really. He controls everything.


























It’s not like I’d ever report him or anything, but he doesn’t seem to get that. He always looks kind of scared when I say hi, but I never stop bothering.
















Seth and me sit down at the back of the bus, where our friends Rose, Amanda and Tristan have saved us seats next to the window.






















“Hi,” Rose says. “So why couldn’t you come to my house last night? I don’t believe it was really homework. If you wanted it done, you’d pay someone to do it for you.”





I blush nervously. I’ve forgotten how much my best friend knows me.










“I would not,” I say, but I can’t look her directly in the eye. “I just thought it was time to – take control of my education.”



























“Liar,” Seth says, and I shoot him a warning glance. He ignores me, because he has an audience now, as all our friends are waiting for him to rat me out. “She didn’t really do it. Apparently she got all lightweight and went to bed early.” He pretends to spit in disgust, but I know the truth. My brother cares about homework about as much as he cares about the bus driver. Very much, in case you were wondering.












“Snitch,” I say under my breath. Seth shrugs.
























“Here, copy mine,” Amanda says, even when everyone groans at her.











“Thanks!” I say, starting to write out all the dull facts and figures. “You’re a life saver.”









Tristan shakes his head at me. “We should tell your parents what kind of example you’re setting your friends,” he says.






























I look up briefly from my copying. “Don’t you dare,” I say seriously. “Or I’ll hire a sniper to kill you.”




























“Summer!” Rose says, because she knows I really could do that if I wanted to. All’s fair if you’re the General’s daughter.























“Don’t worry,” I say. “As if I would ever do that.” Where only Seth can see, I do the shifty-eye thing. We both laugh and give Tristan murderous glances.












“Right, everyone off!” the driver says in what I imagine is a relieved voice. “Or you can all explain to your parents why you’re back home at nine o’clock!”














“He’s crazy,” Amanda says to me, and I nod. He’s completely unhinged.











Still, we hurry off the bus without a moment’s look back, just in case. I wave hi to the soldiers outside the school building, and they give me curt nods. Well, it’s progress.







When you get to year nine, they don’t bother with form groups anymore, so we simply take off for History class.





























I already know what we’re going to be learning about. World War Two again, just to prove why fighting is necessary for the good to prevail. Please. I bet it’s scripted, anyway.





According to the register, I should sit next to Seth, but we always mess around in class when we’re together, so eventually we were separated. Now I sit next to Rose, because her surname is Stevens, mine Spear. And while it’s great to sit with my best friend, there’s a lot less fooling around and a lot more work where she’s concerned.







In the middle of the lecture, I can’t stop my thoughts drifting back to Logan. He told me his school isn’t like mine – so what is he doing now?




















I imagine him in soldier-uniform, hand up in a salute, and giggle to myself. His life is so weird.


































“Summer Spear,” Mr Jones says, bearing down on me. “Please step outside.”







“For laughing?” I say, raising my eyebrows so high it’s a wonder they don’t disappear. “Sorry, sir, is fun prohibited in this classroom?”

















He’s angry I have used one of his own terms against him, shocked I would dare disrespect a teacher. Where I live, people in power are supposed to have the upmost importance. Well, where my philosophy comes from, respect has to be earned.












“Fine,” I say, ignoring Rose’s moan beside me. “This class smells of boredom, anyway.”



I turn on my heel and stalk out, heart thumping hard. OK, so I’ve shown him, but where does that leave me now?



























Oh, great. I’ll be grounded again. And Tristan has a party at the weekend!










I scruff the shiny floor underneath me. Damn that stupid history teacher. He’s been ruining my life for as long as I can remember.
















I lean my head against the hard wall behind me, thinking of another wall…one that led to danger, to a Rebel house, and a boy with curious brown eyes. More than brown. There was something in them. Like cinnamon.
























I wish I could go to his school. Training, whatever they call it. And for the first time, I wish I could live the life of a Rebel. Well, it’s got to be more fun than here, hasn’t it?






In this world, you swear and your mother drops dead. You give your bodyguard the slip and you’re grounded for a month. You put one step out of line and your life is unbearable.






























Traitor, hisses a voice in my ear. You’re a Government girl, and the Rebels wish you were dead.


































Do they? Logan was certainly suspicious at first, but I think he warmed to me. Or was that a trick so he could lure me in – have me kidnapped, killed, up for ransom?










But then I think or how he warned me of what could happen. You wouldn’t do that if you wanted someone to trust you, would you?






















I take a deep breath in, and hope the answer is no.

I set off for training in the afternoon without a backwards glance. Footsteps behind me hint Steve may be following after me, but I don’t care about that. To be honest, I wish he’d stay away from me. I mean, I know he has to walk on the road too, but couldn’t he have picked a better time? Such as, when I’m not around.
















I’m nearly late, largely due to the fact I dropped a silver piece down a drain and took fifteen minutes fishing it out. Everyone here knows how precious these colour coins are. Nobody has gold, so silver is prestige here. Besides, if I lost it, I might not see food for a week.




































Mr Blake, our mentor, has already started his lecture when I stride in. He glares at me with his bushy grey eyebrows halfway up his forehead, and tells me to sit down.






I choose a seat at the back next to Richard, Isadora, and Beatrix. They throw me quick smiles and whisper I’ll be kicked out if I don’t sort out my timing.




















They’re not exaggerating. There was a boy – William Redding – who skipped Training one day because his little sister had the flu, and he was given a formal warning. The next time





he was late, they expelled him.
































You can’t really blame them, though. If you want to be a soldier, you have to be able to follow instructions. And the first rule here is to be on time. It wasn’t anybody’s fault. Not even William’s. It’s just how it is, like it or not. And I’m determined not to give them a reason to kick me out. They want the best, and there is no time for wasters. And if you want to destroy the enemy, you have to be a soldier first. That’s my aim.













“Today we will be learning how to hit a target,” Mr Blake says to general assent.







We’ve been waiting ages to get to master some actual combat skills. All around, speculation rises, which some debating whether or not we’ll be assembling guns yet, or if we’ll have to hit each other squarely in the chest with paint guns. Excitement is building, and no one wants to miss out on a practical. You never know when it might make the difference in your life. Say you’re arrested by a Government soldier, and you need to act fast. A quick slit of the throat. A boot in a face. Or maybe a gunshot wound in the leg.





“Finally,” Richard says, stretching an arm lazily. “All we’ve had this year is rants on ‘knowing the enemy’. Right. I think we know who that is.”















“Actually, I think Mr Blake’s lessons have been pretty helpful so far,” Isadora says as she fluffs up her long brown hair. “All you guys can think about is violence. But it’s important to be mentally ahead, too.”

























Groans greet this statement. Isadora is a well known teacher’s pet, but she can be good for a laugh sometimes. She’s just a little…I dunno, girly-girly. Most people round here don’t have time to file their nails, but she always finds a way. Come to think of it, I think if she pointed a gun at somebody, she would be in more danger than the victim. Well, that’s what Richard and me always say behind her back.





















Even Beatrix is shaking her head, or maybe this is because she can’t wait for a fight; still, she usually has enough feminism in her to go on the girl’s side.















“What are you going to do?” she says to Isadora. “Start reading a book when someone tries to kill you?”






























“She’s got a point there,” I say as Richard snorts with laughter.













Isadora turns her face back towards Mr Blake as he patiently starts talking again. I’m beginning to think she has a bit of a thing for him.
























“As I was saying,” Mr Blake says calmly. “We will be learning to –”











“Yes?” Richard says, on the edge of his seat.






















“- hit a target,” he continues. “And this will involve the use of sharp weapons, so health and safety precautions shall have to be taken. Now, are there any questions?”







“What kind of weapons are we using, sir?”





























“Are we shooting at each other?”


























“Are we using Government prisoners, Mr Blake?”


















“Can we have gloves to protect our hands?”

























“Everybody shut up!” Mr Blake says, eyes boring into every last one of us. “I cannot train a class of juniors who cannot even ask questions sensibly. One at a time. If I wanted children, I would have asked to train five-year-olds on the alphabet. Now, are there any questions?”































A subdued atmosphere has come over the murky class room, so I stick my hand up.




“Yes, Mr Turner?” Mr Blake says. Am I imagining it, or is he still glaring at me over my almost-late entrance?




























“What are we using, sir?” I say, putting extra empathize on the last word.












“Knives,” he says, and a disappointed ‘ooh’ sound goes through the class. “An essential weapon that isn’t as flashy as machine guns and rifles, but is nonetheless an object worth mastering.”










































“Knives,” Richard sounds like he’s tasting the words. “Well, I suppose they can be useful – if your opponent hasn’t got a rifle or a machine gun.” The four of us laugh, though I do think there’s something in Mr Blake’s argument. It’s better to be prepared for anything. Anyway, what if you get caught in a trap, or need to make a speedy getaway? What if you have no more bullets, and the guards are closing in?














I wonder if that sort of weapon would work as an element of surprise – because if everyone is like Richard and thinks knives are beneath them, then wouldn’t it be worth me making this skill worth my while? It could give me a huge advantage one day.









We start to file out of the class room when the clock hits two in the afternoon, anticipant whispers still running among students. I keep quiet, wondering if focus will mean I can come out on top in today’s lesson. Then, if I can perfect every skill, I can be a solider someday soon. And then I can help bring all of this to an end.



















Lined on the grass are a row of bulls eye targets. Large dart boards, in short. My fingers are already itching to hit the red circle.























We start on basic knives with curved kitchen edges, and most people, predictably, aim badly. I hit the edge of my board on my fifth try, but from the cries of my friends around me, you’d think I’d hit the centre.






















I start to concentrate more as different sets of knives are passed round; some huge and chunky, others small and sharp and deadly. We are very careful not to target one another, but of course, accidents happen. Nothing major. A slice of the finger every half hour; a knife in a tree trunk occasionally. But, fortunately, the thin wad of protective clothing (and gloves) usually keeps us safe. More of it’s about relying on instinct, though, and if you don’t have your wits about you, you’re going to get hurt. I don’t see it as any different as going into combat; focus, aim, hit, duck, practise. If you learn these skills, you cannot go far wrong. Of course, there are always other factors. And there is always someone faster, better, more experienced, than you. But, what you’ve got to remember, is that you could be that person for somebody else. And in the end, the underdog sometimes succeeds, because their enemy underestimates them, and they don’t do the same in return. I am opting for a similar strategy, hoping a skinny thirteen-year-old boy will be easily dismissed. I’m well built, it’s true; years of training has given me that; but to an adult, to a soldier, I am just a boy. And I can use that to defeat the ignorant Government official, the keen-eyed solider or the gun-crazy parent. I can use that to ensure I don’t die.

































For a moment I think of Summer, of how she found a weakness. Of how I didn’t hand her in, even though she was an intruder and came through a strange gap in my bedroom I never knew was there. Even though she was one of them. The enemy. Does that make me weak, or human?
































Well, look where being human has got us.
























Still, if it comes down to it, I don’t think I could kill her. Maybe because I have already helped her, and that would feel too much like betrayal. Maybe because we started to talk like we were friends. Or maybe because when I spoke to her, I forgot our families want to kill each other. For the first time, the war didn’t matter. Not like it does now.





I steady my hand and throw my knife at the target. Right on the bulls eye.

When I get back from school, the house is empty.






















Well, not really empty. It’s never empty – just as much as it’s going to be.










For one thing, there’s our bodyguard Frank, then there’s Tara and the cook; Joanne. But, apart from them, my brother and me, there’s no one in.



























“Where’s our parents?” I ask Frank, glancing his way. For a second, I wonder if I’m allowed to know. But it’s too late to agonize over that. So I don’t.













“Your father is attending to business in town,” he says in an old, gravelly voice. “And your mother is organizing a member meeting.”























I nod. This makes sense to me. Father is always doing business, and Mother is in charge of social affairs, particularly for the town hall. You have to be really high up in society to get membership – but if you do, you get to make all kinds of decisions. Important ones. Round here, having a say is something you don’t take for granted, because most people need power to have an opinion.


























“Like usual,” Seth says, sitting down at the table and waiting for the daily snack we’re entitled to after a hard day pretending to do work.



















“Well, I’m glad they’re not here,” I say, giving a mock scared-face.













“Well, you shouldn’t have got yourself sent out then, should you?” Seth says with a petulant edge to his voice. Jeez, what’s his problem?






















“It’s not my fault we have useless parents,” I say, pushing my salad baguette away from me.






























Without another word, I stand up and stalk up the stairs. I can’t deal with one of his I-need-father-to-son-bonding moods right now. Especially not if he’s going to lecture me for getting in trouble for giggling. How stupid can these people get?
























Laugh and the world ends. I don’t think so.





























I’m still sulking ten minutes later, though there isn’t much point because nobody’s here. So I go to the window and peer out – and sure enough, soldiers with big black guns stand patiently on the lawn, some behind the grand gold gates and some in front. Is that all they do all day; protect us from having a life?




























I feel like I’ve been punched in the chest. When mother and father find out what I’ve done, will I have to stay here for the foreseeable future?


















It’s not like I don’t spend enough time here, but there’s something really depressing about being boxed in.






































But since I’m not the sort to sit around feeling sorry for myself, I decide to take action. And there is only one place left I can go. Somewhere not even Frank can find me.








I get off my bed and push the door open. It creaks, but I don’t stop. It seems I have picked another perfect day to sneak into father’s office.
































It smells of soap and lemon, and one look upwards gives me the source. A fitted-in air freshener. It’s not altogether unpleasant, but if you inhale too much, it starts to become unbearably sweet. Like poison.

































































Heaving a little, I lift the ugly painting off the wall, revealing the badly cut-out hole in the plaster. Without hesitation, I crawl inside, making sure I cover my tracks. Then I start the long journey to Logan’s bedroom. Of course, this only works if he’s in, but I’m sure I’ll find something to do. In fact, I can already feel my previously deflated mood blowing up again. I could even go in disguise, couldn’t I? Grab some old clothes and roam the streets like a Rebel. I don’t really know much about their lives, to be honest. Whether they have town squares or meeting halls or business strategies or sweet shops. I don’t even know what they eat. One look at Logan’s dirt-strained walls told me all I needed to know. And somehow, I don’t think he has a snack waiting for him when he comes home from Training.

































What do they do at training? Learn how to shoot and use poisoned arrows and stuff? Or do they work on stamina and focus, obliterating the enemy?

















I’m the enemy. So maybe Logan and his friends learn how to kill me and mine.









It’s not like he can help it. But still, it’s a pretty disturbing thought. I almost shiver, though the lamps are dim today so I can’t really tell if I do or not. Maybe this place is running out of power. If so, I hope whoever’s behind this sorts it. The thought of travelling in the dark isn’t very appealing – because in the shadows, anybody could be there. And right now, neither side is my best friend. If I meet a Government soldier, I am arrested. But if I meet a Rebel, my throat is cut.






















Well, apart from one. And I really hope he hasn’t thought about that.



















Evidently, I must be pretty loud, because for the second time, he has opened the door before I have. I wipe a cobweb out of my hair and clamour out. I’m not as shocked by his bedroom this time around, but I still mentally plan on washing it down one day.










“Hi,” I say. For some reason, I’m more nervous than I was the first time, even though I didn’t know who I was facing then. But maybe it’s because I came here specifically to talk to him, and it was by chance last time. Either way, I feel a little weird standing here in my neatly ironed school clothes. Self-consciously, I twirl my ponytail in my fingers and wait for him to speak.































“So, you just couldn’t keep away from the marshmallows,” he says, and soon it doesn’t matter I turned up out of the blue because we’re both laughing and I can feel my muscles starting to relax. I don’t know what was wrong with me, anyway. I don’t usually get shy like that.







































“You wear a uniform?” he says, looking at my crisp grey jumper and black skirt – now filthy with dust, but still miraculously smart. There must be something in the iron.













I wonder how I’ll explain the dirt later, but decide I’ll jump that hurdle when I come to it.





“Unfortunately,” I say, rolling my eyes. “It’s mandatory.”















He raises his eyebrows, at the uniform or my words, I don’t know. “What’s the point?” he says. “Your ordinary clothes are kind of like uniform, too.”

















“You mean because they’re ironed?” I say. He nods. “Well, I don’t know. I guess they want us to be identifiable. We literally have guards everywhere.”













“We don’t,” he says. “Just outside major buildings. We don’t even have a solider outside our Training block.”
































“That’s awful!” I say, hand over my mouth. Logan smirks. “You could…I don’t know, get bombed! It’s not funny! Is everyone this fearless here?”


















“Pretty much,” he says. “It doesn’t really matter. If the Government wants you dead, they’ll make sure you’re dead. I hardly think a couple of well-placed foot soldiers will save us, to be honest.” He sees the expression on my face. “What?”













“Well, don’t you care?” I say. “About being killed, I mean?” I realize I must look more upset than I need to be. I’m not on his side, anyway. That’s a given.


















“Not really,” he shrugs. “We win, everything changes. We lose, everything’s the same. It’s much worse for your lot. You guys don’t know how to live like we do.”











I look at his rickety old chest of drawers, and don’t answer. He’s right, though. We don’t know how to live like this.































I think of how people complain if the water gets switched off, or if the electricity gets cut. Or even if the new clothes shop in town doesn’t have the right kind of dresses. Of course he’s right. We’re shameless. I feel ashamed, though. Of how we live. It’s funny, but you’d expect Logan to be embarrassed about his home – I know what mother would say, what father would call them. I know that even Seth would think this is the deepest of pits. Then again, Seth hates the Rebels for making us go into lockdown. Literally. He blames them because we can’t go anywhere.


















But the more I listen to Logan talk of his life, the more I start to think. If we had played fair in the first place, would they have revolted? I don’t think so.





















I talk about how I am possibly grounded, how my school teachers hate me, and Logan doesn’t frown or judge me or give me a lecture. He listens, too.














“I’ve always thought you guys had it easy,” he says. I start to interrupt him, but he keeps talking. “But from what you’ve told me…I hate to say this, Summer, but your life sucks.”



We’re both laughing again because it’s so ridiculous but true, and I don’t know why, but my lack of a life is somehow funny. Something I can look back on and hit myself on the head for.



































We stay in his room for a long time, talking and eating marshmallows and bullying each other’s sides. I have so many insults for the Rebels, but each time, he deflects it with an evil jibe or a rich-kid put-down.























By evening, the war is no longer something scary.























It’s a joke. And a bad one.

I start gathering my things at the weekend. An army-style rucksack, my good black boots with the same layer of grime they had a year ago, and Dad’s knife. My shoes pinch and squeak and I wander out to the squalid pit that is our living room, and sit down.










Things seem quiet today. Well, the usual hushed voices have been replaced by an ominous silence. But still no one says anything. I’m beginning to wonder if there’s something going on that I don’t know. But surely they’d tell me if they were planning anything?






























Dad, however, smiles like he does every day. “We’ll get going around ten,” he says to me.



Every Saturday, we go fishing at the old lake. Steve doesn’t come. He doesn’t have the patience. Besides, no one wants him there.




















Well, that’s not true. Dad can stand the sight of him. It’s just me. And before I’m made out as the villain, the feeling’s mutual.























Mum comes out of our cramp of a kitchen with four steaming bowls of broth. I take mine eagerly for once, because supplies have been short this week. It almost hurts to feel the hot liquid burn its way down my throat, because my stomach’s that raw. I think about raiding my marshmallow supply again, but that’s almost used up. Mostly from that time Summer came round. But she wasn’t to know. Still, I mentally decide to pick up another packet the next time I get the chance. A woman called Julie owns the main grocery store. Luckily, it hasn’t been burnt down yet. To be honest, I don’t know what we’d do if it was. People wouldn’t know where to go for food. Not just food. Medicine. Bandages. Cigarettes and the odd beer. We’re almost entirely dependent on that one small shop, and that bugs me. How long before the Government decide to invade, burn down everything?



































Like usual when I think about them, a pulsing surge of hate runs through me. What I wouldn’t give to -

































“Budge up,” Mum says to me. I snap out of it and give her room on the lumpy sofa.







“So what’s the plan for today?” I ask, hoping to prise some information from her. If they won’t tell me what’s up, I’ll have to do some digging.





















Mum looks up from her bowl. “We might have another meeting,” she says mildly as she blows on the broth. Her hair is tangled as always, but her eyes tell a different story. She looks strained, and she’s usually one of those people who just get on with things. She’s always struck me as kind of wild, and yet she’s still the woman who puts a meal on the table every day. With Dad a full time leader in the war effort, she brings the main silver coins to our family. And even our squashed, dirty house is a luxury compared to most. Many have taken to living in tents in the forest, but most just go hungry and homeless. We’re so used to seeing them no one gives them a second glance anymore. But sometimes we help, Mum and me. Set up some kind of food kitchen. It’s not much, but to these people, it speaks volumes. Because most wouldn’t dare, or else are unwilling to sacrifice their own dinner for the sake of other people’s. You can’t really blame them though. In these times, people have to be selfish. It’s not like they want to. Still, I like to think that one day someone would help me if I needed it, so I try to hand out a bowl of soup here and there. Nothing major. We get by.


















At exactly ten o’clock, Dad and I get up, wave goodbye to Mum, and set off for the river. On the way, Dad talks to me about Training. I tell him about the knives and the bulls eye, and he laughs and says it’s his bad influence. I can’t work out if he’s worried I’m getting handy with weapons or pleased I want to be one of them. A Rebel. Only for real – one who knows what they’re doing. I’m sick of sitting around logs and pretending angry words are enough to crush the Government. But the truth is, the only way to sort things out is to take action. In my eyes, meetings are a waste of breath. Unfortunately, no one round here listens to what I think.

























Well…Summer listened, but she’s not from round here. And anyway, on her side, they don’t really know about the war. From what she’s told me, the kids of Government officials know nothing. I wonder if their history books will save them when we invade with guns.






























We reach the lake within twenty minutes, and that’s at a slow walk. We usually stop off at Julie’s for a few herbs, some mints, new bandages.





















The fish are biting today, luckily for us. Still, it’s hardly a fast game. When we’ve caught our second salmon, I dare ask the question that’s been preying on my mind all day. Like the end of a fish hook, I rise to the bait.




























“So what’s new?” I say as Dad puts the dead fish in a plastic bag.












“What do you mean?” Dad says brusquely as he makes a knot. Nice and tight, like always.




“I mean I know there’s something going on,” I say stubbornly. I’m going to make him admit it, whether he likes it or not. It’s time people stopped treating me like a kid. Do I have to be a soldier to be treated like an adult? There are no children in this war. Not really. We all know.































“Just more plans,” Dad says, finishing up the knot. “Nothing for you to worry about, son. Now, tell me about Training – you hit it in the centre, didn’t you? With what knife?”







“Tell me what’s going on,” I say. Like that cheap distraction would work.











Dad sighs. “You’re a perspective kid.”



























There’s the word. Kid. Still, I better play nice if I want to find out.



















“Yeah, yeah,” I say. “What’s really going on, Dad?”





















And abruptly his voice becomes more low; urgent. “There’s been a new development,” he says. “We’ve got an operation running at the moment. I don’t know if it’s going to work, but it’s certainly ambitious.” he straightens up and the hush falls from his tone. “It’s just a minor thing. Just to give them a bit of a scare. Let them know they’re not untouchable, either. That’s all I can tell you.”


























“OK,” I say. That seems fair enough.





























After that, we say no more about Rebel plans. Occasionally we talk about the fish, but most of the time is spent in calm silence. That’s what I like the most about fishing. It’s not like it’s the most thrilling thing around. But it’s quiet.
















When we’ve got enough for dinner – and Marco’s – we start to get our things together. It’s over for another weekend.




























Dad turns to me at the last minute.




























“Not a word to your mother, OK?”


































“OK,” I say.







































When we get back home, there is a crowd of people outside, by the fire. Well, not a crowd so much as a huddle. Four or five of Dad’s army mates – plus Marco and Mum – are sitting on one long log, talking. Yes, there is an operation going on. I just don’t know which one.
































Dad glances my way. “Go inside and put the fish away, Logan.”
















That roughly translates as: go inside and don’t listen to our secret plans, Logan. But because no one ever got anywhere by shouting and kicking up a fuss, I grab the plastic bag and put the fish in the freezer. It looks like it hasn’t seen dinner in weeks.









It’s all I can do not to go out by the fire, cook the meat, and listen in, but I’ve got to bide my time. Maybe wait till they’ve had a few beers or two – or, better still, bring them out for some cool refreshment. Now that sounds like a plan.




















“Where’s the fish?”
































I turn round, a sneer already on my lips. Here’s the boy, sat at home like always, demanding food when he’s done nothing to earn it. Mum works, Dad helps lead the rebellion, I gather fish and hand out soup, and what does he do? Sit on his lazy arse, clicking his fingers like a Government boy. Well, I’ve had it.




















“Just get out of my face, Steve,” I say without even looking at him, grabbing a few beers and tossing them in the air.




























“Where’s the fish?” he repeats.




























“Do you not get the message?” I say, starting for the door. “Fuck off back to your pit like you always do.”








































In one movement, he’s in my face. “You think you’re so great, don’t you?” he says roughly, and I fight the urge to punch his face in. That would be too easy a victory. “Running around after Mummy and Daddy – you’re such a good boy, aren’t you, Logan?”





I shove his ugly face away from me, and shut the door on his toe.















The adults stop talking as I come nearer, instead babbling on about stupid things, like whether we have enough herbs or if they’ll be enough to cover the grocery bill or if I had a nice time fishing. But we all know what I really want to know.
















And they won’t tell me.

On Sunday morning, Mother wakes me up early.




















I don’t even think to be suspicious of her motives at first. It’s just nice to see her smile at me, pay attention. Usually Tara gets me up, now we’ve grown out of nannies. I liked the last one. Lucy. But she left three years ago.























“Morning, darling,” she says. “How about you and me go shopping?”





















Now I understand. For most girls, this sounds like an entirely innocent proposition. Maybe even a good one. But I know what’s going on. She wants to drag me to another of her parties. They’re so boring, and mother only brings me so she can show me off to her friends. It’s so embarrassing, but I had this little routine. Sing, smile, dance, while Mummy’s society ladies clap and coo for more. I hated it. But I smiled until it hurt.






Afterwards, I’d always get something nice. Maybe a new bracelet or earrings or a pretty doll. But I never forgot. And after she had used me, she went back to ignoring my existence like always. She didn’t even care much when she found out I’d been in trouble at school. Frank squealed to her. But she just shook her head and looked at me like maybe I wasn’t the daughter she thought I was. Like maybe I was this huge disappointment, and she couldn’t even be bothered to berate me. Yes, that’s the word. She hasn’t been bothered about me my whole life.



























Mum sees my smile slipping.



























“What’s wrong, sweetheart? Don’t you want a new dress?” she says, but her expression is more make-up than softness. She hasn’t got a maternal bone in her body. I am her new best friend, whenever it suits her. This didn’t used to bother me, but lately I am noticing things. How she never wants to know about me, about my life. How she doesn’t know who my friends are or my favourite colour or if I like a boy at school. I’m beginning to realize she doesn’t know me much at all.


























Besides, I want a new dress about as much as I want to be tortured.














“I might be busy,” I say.



























“Oh, come on, Summer, I want to spend some time with you,” she says, curling an arm round my shoulders. I want so badly to shrug her off, but her eyes are so open and honest I can’t help warming to her. Maybe she does want to get to know me. Maybe this is what other mothers and daughters do. Go shopping and try on lipstick and have fun. Maybe it doesn’t have to be so cold.




























“Yeah, alright,” I say, and her green eyes shine.






















Once she’s gone, I change into a simple blue jumper with gold buttons, and a floaty skirt. Seth is already gone – he’s probably playing football at Tristan’s house like most Sundays. And Rose is probably at Amanda’s. I feel mean for brushing my friends off again, but mothers are important, aren’t they?

























And don’t families matter that little bit more?

























OK, so I don’t get to see my parents as much as I’d like. So Seth is annoying and the last conversation I had with father was last week. But they’re my family, like it or not.










I skip down the stairs and into the kitchen. Mother is sitting at the table, prettily made up with shiny red lipstick and siren-style mascara. Her hair is gentle and gold as usual; each strand perfect. I wish I looked just like her.






































“It’s pancake day,” Mother says, and I try to remember the last one. Maybe when I was seven. The thought of lemon and honey and sugar topped onto my favourite treat makes me smile.





































Joanne comes out of the kitchen with two green plates. She bids us good morning and walks out. I don’t really know her as well as I do Tara. She’s kind of new, and more evasive than the others.


































“Smells delightful, doesn’t it?” Mother says, sniffing. I do too and quickly agree.










After Breakfast, we grab matching dark blue spring coats with round buttons and white dots, and get father’s chauffeur to drive us into town. It doesn’t take long; we’re there within fifteen minutes. Hmmn. John must be getting faster.
















We go to a make-up store first, and I choose my first lipstick. Light pink, because mother says it compliments my face. Then we each select black eyeliner and lip gloss and pay with gleaming gold coins. I realize it’s not the shopping I like. It’s the talking and the laughter and the chance to wind down. To forget about everything and pretend life is all about new dresses. It’s shallow, but after this week, it’s all I need.
























After that, we walk round in the whole shopping centre. Boutiques and chemist shops and army wear and party clothes. All bright, expensive, in bold lettering.











When we reach Mother’s favourite store, she picks out one she says she’s been saving for me. It’s a cherry print dress; white on the background, with red fruit dotted on top. I go to the changing room and try it on, and for once, it fits me perfectly. I look like someone different, someone happy; someone with a life. My long blonde hair is straight and glints in the light, a contrast to the pretty dress. This girl doesn’t look like me, but one who can go to parties and smile and dance until the night falls into morning.







“Beautiful,” Mother says. I don’t know about that, but we buy it anyway. I watch her exchange gold with the cashier lady, my eyes lazily finding the window.











And that’s when I see it.





























The first bomb hitting the square.

























I’m screaming before I know what’s going on; screaming before I can tell Mother or the shop assistant; before the sirens start to screech in my ears. I know exactly what’s coming, and I can feel the fear, building like death in my chest.




















The first words I form are: we’re going to die.



































Mother takes my hand and we run with the cashier lady, with the other customers, to the underground basement. And bombs hit like thunder onto the pavement outside.








This is the first time I have been present during a raid.

















The first time I have felt the dry sense of panic, the seize in my chest, the swallow in my stomach. It’s the first time I have thought the word war and taken things seriously.








And as I sit next to Mother and the strangers, I realize these are the people I could have died with. And that’s if I wasn’t killed in the square, like those poor people outside.







What if I know some of them? What if they are badly injured, if they need our help?








Suppose Rose and Amanda decided to go shopping, or nice Miss Maisy from next door or kind Mr Barley, who never tells me off in class?






















Mother squeezes my hand the whole time, and I don’t let go of the pressure, because she looks more scared than I feel. Like her face is closing in on itself.

















“Nobody panic,” the cashier woman says. “I think it might be over now.”













But what is over? Is over people lying bleeding in the street, limbs blown off their bodies?




Is over sitting in the quiet of the basement, hoping the Rebels don’t strike again?








There were children out there. I know because there was a gang of little girls, celebrating a birthday party in the square.






















Are they dead now?


































“Soldiers shot down the bombers,” the shop assistant says as we surface back in the shop, silence replacing our screams. “I’ve just had a report into my radio. It looks like we’re safe now.”
































Safe. But for how long?





























Mother looks at me, pain clear on her face. “I’m sorry, Summer,” she says, and I’m too deadened to feel shock there are tears in her eyes. “I almost got you killed because I wanted a new dress. I was so stupid –”




















But I’ve been brought back to my senses now.






















“You weren’t stupid,” I say. I fix a smile on my face – a strained one. “It’s OK, mother. We’re fine. You didn’t know. Nobody did.” Clearly. Because there is no way this would have been allowed to happen otherwise.

























The Rebels have played a blinder. And now we are suffering, as they wish.












So they want an equal life? Why don’t they learn to play fair, then? Why don’t they fight the real enemy? Why us? Why the innocent as they obliviously shop?










Nobody would have known death was coming. At least in a battle, the soldiers know what they are facing. But a causal trip into town, sabotaged by the Rebels. That isn’t what’s meant to happen. That’s not how they’re supposed to – I wipe the hint of tears from my own eyes. I won’t give them my sobs; they’ve taken everything else.






Well, whatever they were trying to achieve, it’s worked. I no longer feel safe. Anywhere.




Mother and I go out to the square, where it’s pandemonium. Debris lies unstopped on the broken marble concrete, and bodies lie dying where we walk. The wail of tiny children. The moan of the injured. And the influx of emergency services, desperately trying to calm the situation.



























Mother and I get into the shaded black car and drive home.

As celebrations go, this one is pretty spectacular.





















Crowds take to the streets, singing and drinking and shouting and making fist signs with their hands. This is our first victory in a long time, and people are making the most of it.






Tables with precious supplies have been laid out, and we toast our success all afternoon until the sky bleeds into evening. For once, we are jubilant, not miserable. We have full stomachs, not gnawing bellies. But best of all, we have fresh hope. We can break into the Government towns. We can make our mark felt. We are not just the weak underdogs, but the plotting outsiders. Where we have been ignored as a menace, we will be ignored no more. They have seen we are serious, and they are scared.
















Everyone above the age of twelve has a can of beer, and we all get a slice of fruit cake. It tastes warm and moist and smells of recent baking. It’s almost too good to eat, but I’m too hungry to argue.

































“We should bomb them more often,” Richard says, passing me another slice of cake. “If this is what we get in return.”




























“I suppose,” I say through a mouthful of food. “Why d’you think they targeted the shopping centre, anyway?” I say this causally, making sure he knows what side I’m on. I’m just curious.




































































“Isn’t it obvious?” Richard says. I shrug my shoulders. “It’s showing them, isn’t it? That we can play dirty too? That they’re not indestructible?” clearly, he’s given this a lot more thought than I have. He is starting to think tactically, and I’m not even halfway there yet.





“What was the point, though?” I say with a frown. “Were they any Government officials there?”








































“Bound to be, wasn’t there?” Richard says. “Who cares, anyway? One day that could be us, making these decisions.” He grins at me. “Especially if you hit another target like that one in Training. I’ll never doubt knives again.”

























I laugh, and forget about Rebel motives. Music is playing; happy, hopeful jazz, and people are dancing and smiling for the first time in so many months. For one night, victory is ours.






































I join my friends at the darts game, and we all take turns trying to hit the bulls eye. Beatrix is the second one to nail the target after me – then Richard, and a shaky Isadora. I don’t think she’s made for all this Rebel stuff to be honest.























“I just keep thinking of the poor person who designed the board!” she keeps saying. “I mean, look at the paint – so careful and delicate. And the darts –” she sniffs. “- so lovely.”





Beatrix rolls her eyes at me. “That girl needs help.”






















“Agreed,” I say as I drain the last of my beer. I feel kind of heavy, actually, but it’s a good feeling. Like everything’s a bizarre kind of dream.
























We wander round all the different stalls not usually set up at this time; tiny outside shops with beaded necklaces, bracelets made of dark shiny wood; carrot earrings and little sour sweets. So sour my whole mouth seizes up when the minute it touches my tongue. I have to steal water off a little boy to keep from spitting it back out, all the while teased for being a “light-weight”. Right. I bet mine was poisoned. Still, it’s infuriating to watch Beatrix and Richard swallow theirs down without so much as a shudder. Isadora struggles more on hers, but she’s such a baby she doesn’t really count. Great. So it’s just me who can’t stomach the horrible things. Well, you couldn’t pay me enough to take another. Well, maybe a gold coin would swing it, on second thoughts.





















“I wonder when we’ll actually start to invade Government towns,” Beatrix says when we’re reached the Crystal Ball Stall. Inventive.




































“When they invade a Rebel town,” Richard says.























“Yeah, it’s like a game,” I add. “Like chess. You wait for your opponent to make their move, then –” I make a gesture with my hand. “You strike!”
















“Don’t listen to them, Beatrix!” Isadora says with a wail.


















“Boys!” Beatrix says, and the two cast us dark looks. Right, like we’re supposed to understand what that means. Jeez. What did I say?



















“Girls,” Richard whispers in my ear, a wise edge to his voice. “Don’t even try and work out what they’re banging on about.”


























“Granted,” I say as Madam Mystery beckons us inside.



















“What kind of name is that?” Isadora murmurs.



































“Clue’s in the ‘mystery’,” Richard says in a low voice.
























She gazes into a giant glass ball, making movements with her hands and ‘ooh’ sounds. She sounds like she’s giving birth, but whenever Richard or I snort with laughter, her eyes go dark, so we mostly keep quiet. Beatrix’s eyebrows are raised sceptically, and even Isadora doesn’t look fooled.



































“Isadora,” she says in a disturbing voice. “You – have – a – tough – year – ahead –” Beatrix, Richard and I burst out laughing. “This – is – not – a – joke,” she sounds half-strangled. “There – will – be – tough – decisions – to – make –”













“Da-lek,” I finish for her, and she gives me such a ferocious glare I trip backwards into Beatrix, who shoves me for my trouble. Friends, eh? Always there for each other.







After she’s finished with Isadora, she predicts Beatrix will meet a dark, handsome stranger in the next six months, and she rolls her eyes and mutters all the way through. Then she’s on to Richard, who apparently has “fortune and danger in his path.” Then she’s onto me, and she pauses for a long while before simply telling me I have an ‘interesting’ future ahead, all the while creasing her eyebrows. Whatever. The old bat ought to get some new material.
































When we emerge from the tent, Isadora has a hand on her heart, and Beatrix is still complaining. Richard looks a little spooked, and I don’t blame him. Me? I don’t give Madam Fake another thought.









































The party is coming to an end in the street. People start spilling home, leaves in their hair and beer in their bellies. Everyone looks blissful and triumphant still, several hours later. Wow. They must have been desperate for a win.





































We all manage to locate our families in the hustle though, and start to make our separate ways home. Mum is pink-faced and beaming, Steve’s face now resembles a pear and not a lemon, and Dad is over the moon and beyond. Who can doubt his leadership skills now? This is war, and people expect bloodshed. If they don’t get bloodshed, they start to frown on every decision you make. For a while, public pressure to do something has been caving in. Something was bound to happen sooner or later. In this case – sooner.







Marco and some of Dad’s other Rebel friends want to continue the party outside – a small number by our usual fire. I sit out on the log for a while, because even though my eyelids are droopy with sleep, I’m going to bed for no one.

















“Why did I only get told at the last minute?” I ask Mum, yawning.























“We couldn’t tell anyone,” Mum says. “And what does it matter, anyway? What’s done is done.”








































“Well, next time I’d like to be informed beforehand,” I say, but Mum just laughs and passes me another sausage. Cooked right here on the fire.





















If I was sleepy before, I’m practically catatonic now. I could literally lie out here and crash where I sit, but that’s not really an option. And definitely not in front of all the Rebels. It’s not like they’d tease me, exactly (well, not much), but if I’m going to be taken seriously in future, I can’t act like a kid.



























Stage one: master weaponry. Stage two: sign up. Stage three: infiltrate the main Government base. Sounds like as good a plan as any. And maybe I can persuade a few other people to help me. If I’m going to get in, I’m not going it alone. Though, if it comes to it, I’ll do it anyway. It’s not like I’ll walk into Government towns with a gun waved over my head. No, I’ll be sneakier than that. Steal plans. Get to know the enemy. Maybe even spy. And then ruin them.






























Like we did today. And look how well that turned out!



















I finally give up my staring competition with the tree and start to go inside, mumbling a quick ‘night’ to whoever’s still around. Most people are conked out, though luckily Marco’s still in charge of the fire, so nobody has to worry about falling right into it and ending up with a face full of flames.



























I don’t see her at first, because I’m too busy taking off my boots.













It’s as I put them away that I chance a glance upwards. And nearly jump out of my skin.








Summer is sitting on my rough, scratchy carpet, her eyes burning green and her mouth pursed and trembling.













































I suddenly know she isn’t here to celebrate too. She’s here to get her revenge.

I don’t really know how to begin. How to put my anger into words. I’m not used to this sort of thing. You know, shouting at people. I mean, I don’t do too well with confrontations.


































I can’t even sort out what I feel. What I want to say. I only know how cold I’ve felt since it happened - how my happiness was fizzed out to dark fear and horror. I want to tell him about the blood-stained pavements. About how not all of the birthday girls made it. About how Mother has sat, white and shaking, in her bed all afternoon. About father’s towering anger. His oath for revenge on national television. And about Seth, who thought we had been killed. My annoying brother, who was almost in tears. I’ve never seen him cry before. To be honest, I don’t cry that much myself. But…today…I saw people die.



























That’s not something you can forget. Not something you can forgive. So in the end I ask the question that’s been on my lips since the moments after our square was bombed.






“Why did they do it, Logan?” I say in such a quiet voice I don’t think he’s heard me at first, because it takes him a while to reply.
































He avoids my eyes. “Why do you think?” he says.
































I’m thrown by his return question. That wasn’t how I imagined his answer. He was supposed to be sorry. And yet he doesn’t even sound in the least bit sad. Of course not. I heard them all, celebrating the deaths of the innocent. Drinking and laughing and having fun as people lay dying in the hospital. Scarred forever. Injured beyond repair. So I’m glad they had their food and their triumph – glad they could smile as others slipped away. I’m glad for them. They must feel so good about themselves now.











“They’re sick,” I get out. “Twisted. I – I hate them!” my voice has risen to an unquenched rage that’s been in stirring in my chest for hours now.






























Logan’s brown eyes have turned angry, too. “This is the first piece of good news we’ve had in ages,” he says.







































“Speaking of news – look at this!” I shove the article into his hands.














It only takes him ten minutes to read it. His eyebrows are furrowed and his hands balled into fists. I wait for him to look up, but he stays looking down, his eyes fixed on the black printed words at the top. I know exactly what they say. I’ve been studying them since it got delivered to our house in the afternoon. I know the sentence by heart. It reads: BIRTHDAY GIRLS SLAUGHTERED AT TOWN SQUARE. Underneath are the faces of the six little girls who died. Megan, Felicia, Emily, Rebecca, Alice and Zoe. I will never forget those names, but it’s the big eyes that stop my heart. The birthday girl – Megan – had just turned eight. Some of her friends were only seven. Little kids blown up by Rebel psychos. Punished because of their fathers. Because of their mothers. And because of where they were born. Did they choose to live in Government towns? Did they attack the children of the enemy? What did they do?



























I’ll tell him what they did. They went to the shopping centre because they wanted to play round the fountain outside. And maybe get some milkshakes with their parents. Chance ensured they were there on that day, marked for death, for disaster; their ends grisly and met with screams and agonized cries. And the two kids who survived? They will never be the same. Just like me. Logan and his Rebel neighbours have destroyed six little lives.







Doesn’t he care? Doesn’t he understand what they’ve done? How can they really toast to the clink of beer cups and merry singing outside? Don’t they have children, too?









Logan’s Dad does. And yet he still helped format the plan that killed so many innocent. And you know the killer part? Not one Government official died. So it was all for nothing in the end.

































And I realize I didn’t come here to make them all pay. I came here because I didn’t know what else to do. Because I need answers. I need to know why they did it.












“Look, Summer,” he says in a matching tone of voice. “I’m sure they didn’t mean –”







“They did,” I say. “They targeted them because they were easy. To get one over on the politicians. They did it to say they are powerful, too! That they can show no mercy!”










“That’s not true,” Logan’s shaking his head, a line in his forehead. “That’s not true. You have to listen to me – I only knew when it was too la-”





















“You knew something was going on?” my eyes are boring like stones into his skin. “You knew they were going to do something? You knew…and you didn’t tell me?”









“How could I?” he says, meeting my gaze. “I swear, Summer, by the time I knew they were planning something like that, there was nothing I could do.”

















“I went to the shopping centre today,” I say, and watch his eyes almost pop open in shock. “I was there with Mother when the bombs struck. What would you have said if we’d died, Logan? That is was all for the ‘greater good’? What would have happened if we had been walking across the square ten minutes earlier?”

















He runs a hand through his dark, floppy brown hair. “I’m really sorry,” he says, but it’s not enough. “Thing is…this is a war. People get hurt all the time. It’s what happens.”






There’s a silence, broken only by our adjacent stares.

















































I’m the first one to speak.































“So why the celebration?” I say. “Why are you all so happy?” I have to cough to hide the slight sob catching in my throat. It’s been a long day, to say the least.







I’m…I’m filled with a heat, slithering through my chest and touching my heart. I want justice for those little girls. I want to hold every last Rebel responsible accountable for what they have done. They’re cowards, the lot of them. If they want to win, then they better start playing on battlefields, not shopping centres. Stupid cowards. What were they thinking?



























Then I remember this is all a strategy on their part, and everything has been meticulously planned out. They knew they were going to kill innocent people. What were the chances a major official would choose today to take a shop in town? But they were willing to take that risk anyway? Because we are disposable, us rich Government citizens? We don’t matter when there is a war going on? Even if we’re caught in the crossfire, who cares, because they get to run around the streets with celebratory balloons?











“You don’t know what’s it like round here,” Logan says in a dead voice. “People…they’re desperate for some kind of sign we’re getting somewhere. That this hasn’t been for nothing.”


































“But it was for nothing, wasn’t it?” I say. “Because no one important was killed. Isn’t that right?”




































“Look, I know you might have known some of them –” he starts to say.











“I didn’t know any of them!” I’m shouting now. Logan’s face is a mask of surprise. “Is that why you thought I was upset? Because my best friend might have had her legs blown off? Though, come to think of it, she could have easily have go shopping. But, anyway, did it not occur to you I might care anyway?”

























Logan’s eyes are back on the ground. “No,” he says.

































“I’ve had it,” I start to get up, my floaty skirt just brushing the filthy carpet. “Your pathetic Rebel excuses aren’t doing anything for me, to be honest. See you – or not, if your family decides to bomb my shopping centre again. But I’m sure I’ll forgive you when I die, because you’re only doing your best in the war effort, aren’t you?”












But again, he won’t look at me. His eyes have drifted towards the window, where his family, his friends, celebrate by a dancing fire.




































I open the dirty white door, and climb inside. The door swings shut behind me.




















I don’t have time to think about how he’ll hate me now. How I don’t care. This was all a big, stupid mistake. I can’t believe how naïve I’m been. Thinking these were poor, struggling people who needed help – well, they can quite obviously manage their master plans by themselves. I just thought…I don’t know. I thought I could build some kind of bridge there, but I guess I was wrong.


























The dust splatters my tights in a grey camouflage, but I don’t much care about that, either. I just keep going on my knees in the dark filth, hoping I can get back soon.







Back to my real life. Back with the people who need me.



















Back where I belong.

The celebrations don’t last long.




























In the morning, on live TV, General Spear addresses the Rebel nation.














His cold grey eyes reach out of the black screen, and his short, straight, uniform black hair suggests his rigidity, his anger, the promise of death of his face.















Summer may not have put a bullet in my heart, but it’s clear her leader will not stop until he has inflicted pain on every last one of us. We are glued to his face; his words; Mum, Dad, Steve and me.
























Waiting. So I guess the real game has just begun.






















The supreme official dabs his lips with a napkin before he speaks.























“Rebels,” he says in a clear, strong voice. “You have defied us for the last time. We will have no more of your nuisance. Starting today, we are cutting all food and transport links with you. You will go hungry. You will starve. Your children will die, as you killed our children. So ask yourselves this: how fair is it to brutally murder the innocent? Does that make for a democratic system? Think on this before you continue your foul play. But I am warning you,” his eyes are hard and blazing. “The next time you interfere with my Government, I shall ensure direct attack. You will not get away with this.”













The programme is cut off. His speech is finished.


















And so are we.




































“We’ll – we’ll just have to conserve,” Mum says weakly, rubbing her damp forehead. “Save things that can withstand decay and mould – like soup tins; pasta; noodles; rice. Until we can set up our own network, we will have to ration. Our ancestors did it – why can’t we?”







































“She’s right,” Dad says wearily. “And we all knew this wouldn’t go unpunished.” He sighs. “I guess it was just a matter of time.”
























“Is that all you can say?” I get out. “You heard him! It’s not just the food – he’s going to get his revenge, one way or another. Then what? We watch him bomb everything?”











I think of Sam, the man driven mad by his wife’s demise in the flames. I think of those sweets she used to save. Is that our fate, too? To perish by fire and destruction?






















It’s the worst way to die.




































Well, at least Summer will be happy. Here’s her justice!





















We are about to feel the full force of General Spear’s wrath. Those eyes…icy and unforgiveable. He’s going to kill us all.

























He basically just admitted it to the whole country.






















“Calm down, son,” Dad says, his own eyes shadowed. “It’s like your mother says – we’ll have to scrimp and save, sure, but we’ll get by. We’ve had worse.”















I get up and walk out of the room, the way Summer walked away from me, and feel Steve’s eyes following my back until my bedroom door slams shut.















I know I shouldn’t snap at them, but I can’t help it. They sit there with their solutions and their level heads, but we all know what’s going to happen. That madman’s not going to stop.







































Our lives are his for the taking.




























A fever rises in my chest, and before I know what’s I’m doing, my wobbly chest of drawers is knocked to the ground; my bin spilled onto the carpet; the curtains ripped from the window. Why pretend it isn’t the disgusting hovel it is? Why pretend I’m not going to die here?














































In my head, I remember something I never think about. Something that changed me forever.


































And something that made me swear revenge on General Spear. So, he’s going to murder every last Rebel? I won’t stop either. I won’t stop until vengeance is mine.
*


By week three, things are starting to get desperate.


























People lie in the street, half-starved and shivering into the pavement, their faces pale and sucked in. I can’t stop thinking of that sour sweet when I look at them. The way my own cheeks pinched as I took in the flavour.
































Needless to say, we are not adjusting well.






















We are trying our best, but it’s all we can do not to go under. Crumble. Give up. Which is what he wants. And we’re not going to give it to him. Because if there’s one thing we know how to handle, it’s suffering.



























At breakfast, Mum hands us all lumpy bowls of porridge. I’m so grateful for the food, I don’t question the weird things floating in the mixture, even though I swear a beetle moved in mine. It’s repellent, of course, but what choice do we have?






















“Things will get better,” Dad says, putting his spoon into the gruesome approximation of a meal. “I just know it. Given half the chance, I bet we can set up some pretty decent trades ourselves.”































I shake my head over my bowl. He’s been like that for ages. Making out everything’s still great and rosy. It never was, but at least we had something going for us before. Now we have nothing.



































No, that’s not true. We still have our fight.






















Still, the cost of that last operation has set us back anyway, so Stage One of the Government’s plan to break us is working well. Stage Two – that’s where the bombing starts, I assume. Then Stage Three. They make us their slaves.






























Well, I won’t live in a world like that. And those stupid men in black suits won’t stop us.






But the words are tired and sluggish in my head. I can’t even think properly. I’m just so hungry.





































































I force myself to take another mouthful. I’ll need my strength just to get through the day, to be honest, which is largely why night time is rapidly becoming my favourite part of the day. Then I can collapse on my mattress and fall asleep. I didn’t used to sleep that easily – the make-shift bed’s a little rough – but nowadays, I’m out at the drop of a hat. I’m glad, though. Then not even the growl of my stomach can touch me.

















I guess Mum misjudged things, thought we could carry on for longer before we started to starve. But we give away so many things to more needy friends, there’s hardly any left for ourselves. Dad and I are fishing more than ever, but other people have clued in to that food source so there’s not as much opportunity as they used to be. Anyway, most people would just try and make us sell our fish hooks for food and money.











Marco brings stuff round when he can, but he’s struggling, too. He has a wife; Linda, and three little girls to feed as well as himself. We’re trying our best, but our stores are getting cleaned out by what little money we have. Well, at least the grocers are earning.

















“How long before we can get some kind of system going?” Steve says, his blue eyes identical to Dad’s – strained and pencilled with frustration.


















“I don’t know, Steve,” Dad says, sounding snappy for the first time.















“Don’t fight,” Mum says. “This is what he wants, remember?”


















“Then he’s doing a good job,” I say leadenly.





























“I’m going to work,” Mum says eventually. “Someone ought to earn money round here.”






“To buy what?” I say to her back, but she’s already gone.

















All there’s left to think about is hunger. I know it’s pathetic, but I scoop up the rest of Mum’s porridge. Steve looks at me in disgust, and Dad starts pacing the room again.





“Want something?” I say between spoonfuls. The mocking is clear in my voice.











Steve curls his lip. “Well, it didn’t take you long to turn savage, did it?”













“I’ve always wanted to be one of those,” I tell him cheerfully. “Thanks bro.”













I get up and walk out of the house, leaving my bowl on the side. I bet the little rat’ll eat up the remains when I’m gone.



























The street looks terrible. Cluttered on the cobbled stone floor are a dozen bodies, dissolving into nothingness. They smell of dirt, waste, vomit.















































I didn’t realize it was this bad outside. And not everyone’s dead, even. Many are just lying in their own filth, having evidently lost the will to live. Well done General. You’re doing an excellent job.




































I wonder if he’ll get a promotion. Maybe when a few more of us drop off. I’ll make a note to tell that to my friends.


































I kick a crumbled piece of paper away from my foot and walk into Julie’s store. As predicted, the shelves are almost empty. But there’s still a few packets of my favourites left. Nobody touched those.


































I walk back home with looser pockets and two packets of sweets tucked into the side of my jacket, so they rub unpleasantly against my t-shirt. These days, it’s not a good idea to wave your food in the air. Let’s just say it’ll be gone before you can say ‘sucker’.












When I get back to my room, I place one packet of marshmallows in the tunnel leading to Summer’s domain.


































Right in the middle.



































In no man’s land.

I get into a fairly normal routine, as the Government intends. I go to school, eat three meals a day plus dessert, hang out with Rose and Amanda. Play football with Seth and Tristan. And I try to forget about my Rebel friend.

































































































Things are different, though. Frank now follows me everywhere, and we don’t get the bus to school anymore. John takes us in the big black car, and sometimes we pick up our friends too, to Seth’s delight. He can’t get enough of Rose.


















It seems like a lifetime ago I had a crush on someone too. His name was Matt, and we used to talk at parties. His parents are friends with my parents, so we used to get shoved together a lot when we were younger. Nothing ever happened though. It was too weird, with Mother and Father always there, making small talk about politics. I used to write ‘Mrs Summer Matt’ all over my school books, because for a very long time, I thought you took your partner’s first name as a surname. So I used to write ‘Mr Matt Summer’ too.





I think he’s dating Molly Raincoat from the year above now, though. I don’t like him anymore, but he still catches my eye at parties, remembering how we used to stand like prettily-made-up umbrella stands as our parents chatted over our shoulders.


























Lately, all I’ve thought about is that Sunday. The shopping trip disaster. How I’ll never quite get over the little faces.
























































And of how angry I was, that day. How I shouted at Logan and blamed him for everything.













































Was I wrong to be shocked by the cruelty of war? To expect our enemies to play fair? Was I wrong to ever visit someone I could never be friends with?




















I think things are bad over on his side, though. There’s something about a food shortage. Father made some kind of speech, but we don’t know much about it. But if you starve people who were already starving, how can they survive?
















These are all the questions that have been buzzing around in my mind for over a month now. Nobody answers them. Not even Mother. And, to be honest, I don’t want to test her patience too far, because I think it still haunts her what might have happened that day. Perhaps that’s why Father is so mad.























I get changed into the grey jumper and the black skirt, take my bag off the hook. Then I stare at the girl in the mirror. She still looks like me, only sadder. The bright, puppy-dog look has faded from my eyes. Now all I see is someone trying not to fall apart.








For some reason infuriates me. I didn’t ask for this – any of this!



























I consider trashing my room, but what would be the point? It would only mean more work for poor Tara, who’s working to the bone at the minute. But whenever I try to help out, she shoos me away. It's the same with Joanne. It’s like nobody wants my help these days. And what happens when I try, anyway? It ends in disaster, because I’m always stupid enough to believe everyone has a bit of good in them. OK, so I trust too easily, but why do people always have to take advantage? Why can’t everyone just be hippies and paint their faces and wear flower-printed clothes and dance and be happy?












I take my hairbrush off the dresser. It’s mother’s favourite one; pink with white dots, a bit like our rain coats. Well, on second thoughts, I don’t think it’ll be her favourite much longer. It just reminds us both what might have happened that day we wore matching jackets; only in blue. I used to have a bit of a thing for polka dot stuff, but I think I’m growing out of that stage.



































I brush my hair so thoroughly, so ferociously, that each strand lies straight on my head. Then I walk down the gold staircase, the usual bounce lost in my footsteps. I just kind of trudge nowadays. Like every foot in front of the other is an effort.






































Both Mother and Father are gone when I put in an appearance in the kitchen. There’s only Seth, grinning at me like usual; and Joanne, laying out plates of toast and jam. I say good morning to her, but she must not hear me because she walks out again without replying. She must have permanent ear plugs in or something. I wonder what she listens to. I bet it’s rap! Yeah, I can just imagine her, our meek little cook, shaking to the beat. Seth scoffs at my theory.









































“More likely classical,” he says, gobbling up his toast.


























“Or jazz,” I say, clicking my fingers to an imaginary beat. Seth shakes his head to indicate I’m crazy, but if I can’t be my usual crazy self then I think I might be hauled up in a strait-jacket, ironically enough. And maybe it’s good to be off your head if it drowns out the screams, forever printed in my ears. I don’t need the lousy article.




















I think Logan still has it anyway. I feel kind of bad about that. He shouldn’t have to see that every day when he wakes up in the morning. It must be hard when your Dad bombs innocent kids. Imagine! I wouldn’t be able to live in that house.















When we get to school, the atmosphere is quiet, as it has been for the past couple of weeks. People are scared, and it shows. So we mostly keep our heads down. Even me. But really, I’m just waiting for the bomb sirens to go off again. They have one fitted to the ceiling in every classroom, so I can’t ever forget.


















































I was planning to go to Rose’s house afterwards, but I’m really tired. And anyway…I think I’d prefer to be at home right now.
































Our parents are absent again when I get in. It’s just Frank and me returning – Seth’s at Tristan’s house. I try to make conversation, but he doesn’t seem to want to talk. So I wander off by myself and find myself in Father’s office. I don’t even know what I’m looking for, not really, but soon I’m at the neat, over-flowing desk, and I can see that pesky piece of paper again. The one that got me into this mess in the first place. Yes, it’s my good old friend ‘Operation Hamish’!























I decide to read it this time, having dismissed it before. And it’s then I start to feel that cold sense of fear I’ll felt since the bombing.

























Father was planning to cut their food supplies anyway. He was just waiting for the right moment to declare revenge.



































I’m horrified – but I know what I have to do now.

























I creep down to the kitchen and steal Mother’s picnic basket. Then I cram it with as much food as it can contain. I’ll just have to hope no one notices. Hopefully if Joanne does, she won’t squeal. Maybe she’ll think I’m going round to a friend’s house or something. No one else really bothers going in the fridge, because we have everything prepared for us.






















When I’m done, I sneak back upstairs and into Father’s office. Then I force my way through the whole, basket first, and begin the long journey I haven’t embarked on in a while. I have to keep pushing the food package ahead of me, and my arms are getting tired. I mustn’t give up, though – someone’s dinner could rest on me. I half-giggle to myself, though it isn’t really funny given the circumstances.



























I’m halfway through the tunnel when I stumble on something. I can’t see what it is in the dim light, so I shove it in my pocket and resolve to look at it later. The mystery item has given me fresh energy, though, so I crawl more determinedly through the cob webs. I really hope he’s in -































I hesitate before pushing open the door, but he’s not here because he hasn’t heard me. I allow myself a second to feel a pang of disappointment before I open it myself, tip the basket out, and stumble inside.































It looks even worse than usual. Gosh, Father wasn’t exaggerating in his death speech, was he?








































I bite my lip, wondering what to do now. I eventually settle on scribbling him a quick note, but that plan relies on Logan having supplies. Why didn’t I keep a notepad handy? I’ve got a pen – black and elegant, the kind that comes in glass cases. I spot a ripped piece of paper in the corner of the room (probably spilled from the bin). I’m about to write it when the item in my pocket tips out.





















It's a slightly crumpled packet of sweets. My heart softens. I can guess what it cost him to give this to me, especially when all the Rebels must be numb with hunger.


















But I also know him well enough to guess he’ll consider it an insult if I give it back.










So I pick up the pen and write: Thanks for the marshmallows.



















Then I crawl back through my hole and to my world.

“Right, mix this,” Mum says to me out of the corner of her mouth as she consoles one of her friends.




































I take the huge pot full of tomato soup, wrinkle my nose, and get to work. With every mash, I imagine I’m crushing General Spear with a Training knife.
















We are at the soup kitchen, going for damage limitation. Finally, we’re taking action, and making sure everyone has something in their belly tonight. It’s going to be a rough couple of months. At least, before Dad can set something up. In the meantime, here I am, mixing together dinner for hundreds. Fun times.
























Even Steve is doing something – the deliveries. What a sport. Personally, I’d much rather run around on an old bike taking all the credit than stand in this steamy kitchen with a spoon in hand, a bowl cradled to my chest. I bet the girls will go mad for this one.










Speaking of girls, it suddenly occurs to me that if Summer never visits, she won’t get the marshmallows. What a waste of money. And what have I got to go home to now? Dad’s half-baked plots? Mum’s tired smile? My sneer of a twin?






























I find it’s actually good to be here. Takes my mind off things.

















“Right, that’s done,” Mum says distractedly, blowing a curl off her face. “I’ll send it out.” She passes it through the white window, and right away, Steve’s slim hands take the bowl. We both listen to the judder of his weary bike before he wheels off again. Then it’s back to business – back to work.
































We begin to sort out a proper system. Mum makes soup for the people outside, me for deliveries. Word has got out, and now everyone wants to try the tomato slime I’ve loathed for years. These are truly desperate times.



































But I keep pumping into the bowl anyway, vaguely away of new flavours. Pea and lemon juice. Scotch broth. Lentil. Chicken. Lamb. Vegetable. Well, I don’t know where Mum’s getting these from, because all we ever got was tomato. I brush off my feeling of annoyance, because I need to keep going, and jobs don’t get done if you spend your life complaining.

































I pass the bowl continuously over to Steve, eternally grateful for the white window that separates us. Because if I could see his face, I’d chuck soup in it, and that wouldn’t be very productive, would it?






























I don’t think so.







































My muscles are becoming strained, but I’m fighting the exhaustion. I’m a modern day Robin Hood, on a mission. And I will rob the Government of every last bit of security they have until they are bare; exposed; ruined, like we are. Until they understand the true meaning of empty.





























I must have more self-restraint than I thought, because I don’t even take one lick of the soup beneath me. And there’s a lot.





























It’s a cycle. Pour soup into bowl. Mix until hand hurts. Pour into containers. Pass to delivery boy. Done. Then over again.
























When we’ve delivered to just about every existing family in town, I start to hand bowls out to people sitting on rocks and logs outside. They take it, wash it down, and thank me later. When most people have had their first round, I take a bowl of chicken soup and sit quietly in the corner, wiped out. I put a hand across my forehead, where a sheen of sweat has developed. I just had to get out of that kitchen. It’s like a heater in there.









Even the air out here feels horrible; moist like the celebratory cake; warm like the hairs on my arms; congested like a traffic jam. And most people don’t even have a car round here. Dad does, but it’s pretty beat-up. And the windows are smashed in. Well, that was me. But it was an accident. I was practising my shot. I had this sharp rock and my brother was egging me on. It hit the glass and we ran. But I was only seven then. You can’t really blame me. Dad thought it was Steve. The ironic thing is, he wasn’t even there at the time.




No, that was our other brother.


































“Logan!”







































I turn round just in time to see Isadora running towards me, a twig in her hair. Wow. She must have run here from her house, ’cause she lives behind the forest that surrounds my home.













































“Hey,” I say, holding up my hands. “And before you ask, I’m doing no more soup. You’re too late, kid.”



































“Please!” she scoffs. “I’m three months younger than you.” She sits down beside me on the rock. “So…have you really been handing out bowls all this time?” she says.










“No, I’ve been licking myself,” I say, and she laughs. “Get real. I’ve been stuck in that cursed kitchen for hours.”




























“Well, it’s baking out here,” she says.


















“Yeah, exactly!” I huff. “I never get a break.”






















“Poor Logan,” she says. Then she grins. “Here, have a sour sweet.”












“Oh, very funny…”



































But, luckily for me, I don’t have to taste the poison, because Richard and Beatrix have joined our pathetic rock, dinner-smiles on their faces. Well, I’m not giving away my soup, no matter how big their eyes go. No matter how big.


















“Hey, Logan,” Beatrix says, sitting down on my other side. Great, so now it’s crowded.





“Hi,” I say. “So what’ve you been doing while I’ve been slaving away in the oven?”







“Painting my nails green,” she says, showing Isadora, who screams. Why? I will never understand.




































Richard sighs to me. “They never change.”

























“Never,” I agree.

































We sit in this vein for a while, gulping soup and jostling each other and laughing as everyone around us enjoys the last meal of the day. For some, the only meal of the day. It’s kind of relaxing sitting here, eating bad soup and talking. Not doing anything for once. Just being in the moment.






















“I saw your brother on that trike of his,” Richard says. “Cycling round like Mother Teresa.”





































“Tell me about it,” I say. “Taking all the praise for my good work.”















“And your Mum’s,” Beatrix adds. Well, credit where it’s due.

























“Shut up,” I say. On second thoughts, maybe not.






























Isadora yawns. “I should be getting back,” she says, and we all groan and follow after her, because it’s never a good idea to travel alone in these times.




























We skim stones where we walk, leaving a Hansel-and-Gretel trail. Unfortunately, it doesn’t lead to a candy house (which would be the greatest gift ever at the moment), but to each of our hut-homes. Well, at least I have my own bedroom. It’s filthy, but it’s mine.













































My home is the last one on the street. I wave goodbye to Richard and he is swallowed Mum isn’t back yet – or Steve – but Dad is, and Marco and a few other Rebels are with him. I pause automatically on the doorstep before entering.


















I sit down on the sofa across from them, and for once, they don’t stop talking. I take this as a good sign. I am moving up in the world.

























“Hi, kid,” Marco says, looking after briefly. I remember Isadora’s irritation, and have to laugh. How differently people appear to others.























“Hi,” I say. I decide to try my luck. “Any chance you’ll let me in on a few Rebel secrets?”




“In your mother’s dreams,” he says, and I mime shooting him in the head. Which might be a bit insensitive given the circumstances.












































So I listen to their hurried whispers instead, and catch a few words. Like, “cat-and-mouse game" and “invading some outside towns” and “impossible”. That last one crops up a lot. Why do they have to talk in riddles?






















To stop me working out their grand plans, obviously. Clever, because it’s working.







In the end I get bored and wander off to my room. I push open the holey door, glance despairingly at the moulding white paint, and go inside.


















And there, on the floor, is a miracle.































For a second, I think I might be hallucinating – no doubt brought on by hours out in the heat - but then I see the note. Thanks for the marshmallows. Summer. She’s out-trumped my gift by miles.


































































I stare at the basket, but I don’t approach, like it’s a bomb or something. Or maybe it is. Summer’s perfect revenge. No, I know it’s genuine. Even when she’s mad, she can’t help speaking the truth. And trust me, if she wanted to kill me, she’d let me know first. Probably ask me if I can possibly forgive her.



























I easily identify the posh, curled writing on my scrappy paper as being Summer’s. Which means she got it from my bedroom, probably wrote it spontaneously. So she would have given me the food package without the sweets. Even though she hates me.











The first thing I do is unwrap a chicken roll. Then I savour the mouth-watering taste of meat, and feel, for the first time in a month, full. I put aside the basket and lie down on my mattress, knowing we’re going to eat tomorrow.


















And it’s all because of Summer.

Saturday. It’s such a boring day. I’d rather be at school, and that’s saying something, because even that’s like a morgue these days. Literally, the kids are zombies.


















I wake Seth up early (selfishly) because I can’t take the strain any longer. He grumbles at me, his sandy blond hair messy from the night’s woes. I shove his shoulder until he gets his lazy butt out of bed. I didn’t even know he knew that many swear words. Gosh. Someone’s not a morning person.























It gets worse. He hisses ‘psycho’ at me all the way down the stairs, but a quick slap to the head soon silences him. Honestly. I want a brother, not a demented pet.












Joanne comes out immediately, as if summoned, and I whisper to Seth she has built-in vampire radar. It’s so freaky sometimes, how she just appears out of thin air. Whenever I ask her where she came from, she just smiles mysteriously and vanishes again. From another planet, probably, the little weirdo.
























We’re served a bowl of cornflakes each, and I can’t stop my thoughts returning to Logan. Did he get my food basket? Did someone else steal it, like his bitch of a brother Steve? Is he still angry at me?































Well, surely not. He sacrificed the marshmallows. The marshmallows! If that isn’t friendship, I don’t know what is.




























We spoon up our cereal, wondering if we can evade Frank the bodyguard again. He got so mad last time, he threatened to have us locked up for good. That is not a joke round here. It’s real.































“I think we’ve shortened his life span,” Seth says.



















“Agreed,” I say, putting down my spoon with a clatter. “I feel terrible. And the last people he’ll think of is us!”
































“What’s so bad about that?” Seth says, a look of bewilderment on his face. I nudge him in the ribs, and he pushes me so far back I topple off my seat! And it’s so not funny this time. It really hurts and my backside will never be the same again.






















“Idiot,” I say, giving him a spectacular Chinese burn.

























But, far from dropping down dead, Seth is staring at the new red rings round his wrist, transfixed. “Cool,” he says. “This beats Tristan’s record.”
















“If I wanted a boy lecture, I’d go talk to –” I stop in the middle of my sentence.














“You’d talk to who?” Seth says, frowning. “No, wait – I know,” he says as I open my mouth to make up a name. “You have a boyfriend, don’t you?” he thinks for a second. “It’s Matt, isn’t it? The one you always used to flirt with at parties?”


























“I didn’t flirt!” I say, forgetting all about my slip-up. “And anyway, I meant…someone else.”































Seth doesn’t give up. “Adam?” he says. I shake my head. “Lucas? Robbie? Callum?” I refuse to nod to any of the names, which, of course, leads him to believe I am crushing on Mr Jones. What an annoying little – well, I can’t think of the insult yet; but when I do, it’ll be mind-blowing. Terrifying. He’ll wet his pants.






























But unfortunately, even twin brothers are of limited use, because Seth is out the door and off to football before I can call him the brilliant name I had forming in my head. I just needed time. Well, I’ve got all day. My friends aren’t very helpful either, because Rose is going horse riding with her sister, and Amanda’s off to visit a sick Aunt. And Tristan is with my delightful brother. I really do have no life now.

















Which is how I end up outside father’s office ten minutes later, listening in on their top secret meeting. Well, it can’t be that secret if they can’t even be bothered to have a guard outside, can it? Still, I have nothing better to do, and everything to do with the war is news to me. Besides, I want to see if they’re still punishing the Rebels.










It takes a while for me to understand their words, because at first, I can’t piece together the sentences. All I hear is:







































“…strike them back…”



























“…can’t get away with…”
































“…it’ll have to be soon…”

































“…class A bomb…”




























I frown, trying to sort out the meaning. It looks like there’s going to be some sort of attack. On the Rebels in Logan’s town, I’m guessing. This is payback, old-style.









I knew they weren’t going to get away with it…but I can safely say, we possess more efficient weapons than they do. The soldiers in there – they could get them all. Blast their homes into the ground; destroy their shops and what’s left of the supplies.









But somehow I know they won’t completely wipe them out. That would be mercy. No, they are going to ruin whoever’s left. It’s the perfect plan, really. Loved ones die, some live without food, without friends, without the energy to carry on. And then they, too, get murdered by the people sitting in there and talking so casually. Lives, in their hands. How must that feel?
































And then I hear my father speak, and that’s the worst thing of all.

















“I say we target their school,” he says. “That scum building where they teach their kids to kill ours. If we get them, we can stop mass rebellion. The whole town will be in mourning. And future soldiers will be struck off before they can do any more damage.” Murmurs of agreement greet his statement, and I can imagine them all nodding in acknowledgement at what they must do. I can almost see their faces, twisted into sinister smiles, and a shiver runs its finger down my back. I take a step backwards, all the better to take in what they are doing.
























They’re going to bomb the Training block.






























Logan’s going to die.


































And then I’m running, back into my room. Collapsed on the flower duvet with the pretty green pattern, breathing into a pillow, where no one can hear me.

















But wait. I can’t stop this – but I can warn him.



















































But I’ve got to get into the office, and that’s where they are. So I’ll just have to wait.








I sit on the edge on the bed, digging into my nails. It’ll be fine…I can still save him…save his friends…they can’t run an operation like that that quickly.















But what if father has had this planned all along? What if he has ready bombs at his disposal? Planes ready to drop the missiles?






































I try to think back to all Logan’s told me about his school. They don’t go there on a Saturday, do they?


































Except…they do.


































They do sometimes. He said something…something like…what was it he said? I bury my face in my hands, frantically trying to remember. Then it comes to me. They go there to take extra lessons. Their mentor, Mr Blake, is apparently a fanatic. But how can I know for sure if they’ll be there?
























But I do know. Because father picked this day out of all the others. All he needed was the seal of approval from the other soldiers…and now he has it…

















I have to act fast. Create a diversion. Delay things. Get them out of the office.





















Think, Summer, think.
































OK. Good to go.



























Taking the deepest of deep breaths, I burst out of my bedroom and knock on the door. And wait.














































Surprisingly, it’s Father who opens the door. I’d have thought he was too important.







For a moment, we look at each other; him, the grey-eyed General in army clothes; and me, the green-eyed girl in pink shorts. Then I blurt out the first thing that comes to mind.















“Mother needs your advice,” I say. “I mean…you’re needed at the town hall. There’s a special meeting to, er…discuss future plans. Mother just said, on the phone.” I cross my fingers.



































“I was just headed there anyway,” Father says, and I breathe out. “I suppose the nanny will have to keep an eye on things in the house.”




















“We don’t have a nanny anymore,” I say. “There’s just Tara and Joanne.”










Inwardly, I curse myself. What am I doing, wasting time discussing house staff? I need to go!




































“Very well,” Father says. Then he clears his throat, addressing the curious people in the office. “This discussion is over. We are needed in the town hall. Immediately.” He gives me a curt nod, and sets off, the officials hot on his heels.

















Wow. That actually worked.


























I race in straight away, and I’m through the hole before I’ve had the chance to think. I’m scrambling so quickly through the dirt I can’t feel my knees, but that doesn’t matter. I have to get there in time -
































I kick the door open.


































And find an empty bedroom.

























No. No way. He has to be here!



























But I have to get back. I can’t stay here. I’ll be rumbled.


















Crap.




































With shaking fingers, I write out: they’re going to bomb the training block.
















Then I see it.

















































The single daisy chain bracelet lying at the foot of the door. My eyes must have missed it in my hurry. But I can see it now.






































It’s beautiful; artificial vines twisted together; and the daisies, stuck to the present.







I feel a tight movement in my chest. It’s a thank you.
























And this afternoon, he might be dead because of my Father.

After fishing, I set off directly for Training. I can’t afford to be late again, and we had to wait a while to fish. Summer’s supplies have helped sustain us a little, but they can’t last forever. Still, maybe she’ll bring another package if she sees we’re struggling like before.





For a moment, I allow myself time to wonder why a Government girl cares so much about the Rebels she hates. The Rebels who bombed her square, killed six primary school girls. It confuses me. What are her motives? Is it just because we know each other now, or is she genuinely concerned about her starving enemies?



















Either way, I don’t have much time to wonder about this, because I’ve got to get going. It looks like I’ve missed Richard’s schedule by a few minutes, though, because he isn’t cutting through the shortcut by his home as usual. So I go it alone through the grass, listening to the rustle of creatures in the shrouded blades. I like it here; it’s has a peaceful air. It’s just calm. Refreshing. Especially after a lifetime of hate.

















I make it to school before Mr Blake has started his lecture, and he gives me a nod of approval. He’s been a bit easier on me ever since I made that bulls eye. It was more like luck, but if they want to praise me, then I’m all ears.

























“You’re finally on time,” says Isadora, who looks like she thinks this might be a cause for celebration. “For once! I worry about you getting kicked out every day.”













“That’s touching, Isadora,” I say. “But I’m sure you’ve lived through the minutes.” I pull a face at Richard.


























































Beatrix nudges me. “Don’t be mean,” she says.



























“I wasn’t mean!” I say indignantly.











































“You’re a boy, you can’t help it,” Beatrix says with a roll of her eyes.






















I’m about to counter this sexist judgement (yes, girls can be prejudiced too), when Mr Blake claps his hands for silence. For once, everyone listens. After all, we chose to have extra lessons at the start of term, so it’s our own faults if we don’t feel like listening. And it’s not like on normal days. You don’t get a warning. It’s behave or get the hell out.







I think it’s good, though, because it makes it feel less like juvenile school, more like proper skill training. Like if we take them seriously, they will do the same in return. Sounds fair enough to me. Which is, of course, what we are aiming for in the first place.






And, for the benefit of any Government officials, what’s wrong with that?











Today Mr Blake drones on – sorry, delivers – a speech on tactics. How different power plays come into effect. Timing. Target. Ethics. Aim. Opinion. How the world will perceive your actions, and how one wrong move can turn the tide. It seems unfair that if we make a false step, we are judged immediately – but the Government has gotten away with cruelty for as long as I remember, just because they can claim be doing stuff for the ‘good of the nation’. Just because they can act like we’re the psychos.













Right. And them keeping us at their heels like dogs shows what? That they are merciful? That we aren’t worth the shiny spots on their ugly black shoes?

















“Never underestimate,” Mr Blake says to the silent class. And in one breath, his words actually mean something – not just the boring rants of a middle-aged perfectionist. “You have seen the lengths they are willing to go to. The suffering they like to bring.” His eyes ride over every one of us. “Today you will learn they are not just the enemy. They are clever, children. Vicious; yes. Despicable; undoubtedly. But they are clever! They will use sly tactics, expensive propaganda, spies, anything it takes to maintain control! And they will not stop until we are at their feet again. Well no more. We will not stand for this. We will fight. And we will win!” a cheer echoes off the damaged glass windows; loud and furious and brimming with new passion, new hope, new fire. He believes we can beat them – he has faith in all of us. So maybe it’s not so stupid to imagine we can one day lead. A bunch of food-deprived, miserable teenagers. Maybe they’re not so superior.












“Gets you fired up, doesn’t it?” Richard says to me. Then he turns to the other two. “What do you think, girls? Ready to fight?”






















“As I’ll ever be!” Isadora says, and I laugh so hard I almost choke on my own saliva.
















“Don’t be stupid, guys,” Beatrix props her feet up on the chair of a boy in front. “He’s talking crap. We need numbers and training before we’re going anywhere. Sorry to burst the bubble, but you all seem to have forgotten this is real, and not World of Warcraft.” She smirks at our dampened faces. “What? You’ve even got little Izzy all riled up to fight.”
































“Don’t call me Izzy!” she snaps.



























“Or little!” Richard adds, though it’s nothing to do with him.


















“Right,” Mr Blake clears his throat. “Quiet. Now, hands up who underestimates the enemy now?”


































Not a single hand rises in the air. We are all converted. Wow. That doesn’t feel as robotic as it sounds. It feels kind of good actually, like we’re working towards something. Working towards a fight. Even though we know a lot more about stuff than the Government kids, we’re still kept out of the active part. Now’s our chance to actually change something. To go to sleep without hunger, to wake up free of dark circles.





To win.


























































An excited babble has broken out, with many hedging bets over when they can join the forces, and others simply gazing into space, drawn in by the idea of victory. Because it’s infectious, like a virus. Yes, that’s what we are. A menace the Government never wanted to exist. Spreading in waves around the country. And they can’t stop us, not for long.





This is what we are doing when the first smack hits the roof. What we are doing when the room starts to shake. As smiles dissolve into skin.


















It’s funny how quickly things happen.




























The jubilant faces have been replaced by expressions of terror; shrieks and questions and ducks under tables. Nobody knows quite what to do, though we have been trained to expect this our whole lives. This is not a shock; not really, but here we are. Frozen. Just as the Government would wish.





































And abruptly I’m on my feet, ignoring Isadora’s moan. We have to get out of here before that ceiling caves in.




































I can’t even think about fear. I’m running on adrenaline. On fire. On Mr Blake’s speech and my desperation to do something. My will to survive.


















I don’t think they’ve slammed us with huge bombs. Just enough to hurt; to injure; to scare. Maybe even kill a few people. But not enough to burn us all to the ground – not if we think fast and get moving.


























“We need to get underground, and quickly,” I say to Mr Blake, who is frantically trying to calm the screaming students, while all around, half-broken sirens wail in our wake. It’s hard for people not to panic in chaos like this.

















“Get up,” I say to my class mates. “Come on, we need to move!”













My friends are the first to follow – and then, shakily, hesitantly, pupils begin to follow me out of the room. In the corridor, the floor has cracks two miles wide, the lamp above swinging precariously. If a bomb were to hit now, we’d be dead. But we’ve got no choice. We’ve got to keep moving. I tell myself this is just like making the soup; you keep going until your mission is done. And right now, this is not terror. It’s an assignment. And that’s making all the difference.




























Screams from the other side of the building. Shudders as the walls ripple and close in. Are we going to make it?































Well, we’ll have to try.


































There’s a bomb exit to the left; but there are still some students lagging behind, clutching each other. I shout down the line at everyone to get going, because in case they hadn’t noticed, we’re being bombed. Shocked titters meet my statement. Probably nervous laughter.





































The next one hits as I’m waiting for everyone else to scramble downstairs.















This time I’m not so lucky.






























A shard of blasted off wood knocks me into the wall, where I slide to the floor, dazed and struggling to think properly. A trail of blood runs down one side of my face. It’s getting harder to keep my eyes open, even though I can hear the agonized cries. Feel the shake of my shoulder. Mr Blake in my ear.































I am being lulled by the heavy whacks into my skull; nails driving into my skin. I blink back blood from my lashes and open my eyes.





















































And see double.

All evening, I sit in the quiet of the living room, waiting for news, my finger pressed into the remote control. But they’re talking about the weather. How we can expect a ‘sunny, sunny, weekend’. Who cares about that? There’s a bomb raid going on, and nobody’s saying anything!

































Aren’t they going to report it? The incidents, the injured, the death toll? Aren’t they going to tell us what’s happening?





























Evidently not.


































I don’t even know if they’ve bombed the Training centre yet, if Logan got my note in time. And it’s no use trying to get back into the office; Father and his colleagues are back in there, holding another meeting. I got back just in time. Mother was here, calling my name. If I’d waited there ten minutes later…she’d have found me missing; called Father, the soldiers, the Police. And how long before the game was up? Besides, even if I had stayed in the Rebel town, I’d have been shot dead. Or captured. I don’t think that would have helped Logan and his friends, to be honest.



























Even so, I can’t stop the squirm of guilt in my chest. Could I have done more to stop all this? To stop Father turning into a monster...? Am I, unwittingly, responsible for the deaths of children? Look at me, shouting at Logan for not stopping the Rebels bombing the square. And yet here I sit, useless and biting my lip on the sofa. I promise myself that for every murder, it is at least partly my fault. Like bystanders who watch someone get mugged. That’s me. And that’s why some people will die today.














I promise myself one other thing. That if my Rebel friend doesn’t make it, I will never forgive myself. Because I won’t.





















I won’t have got there in time to save him. I’ll have failed. And in this case, the forfeit is a much higher price than I’ve ever had to face. Humiliation after a game of tennis – that I can take. Truth or Dare. That consequence I can live with. But this…this is something in an entirely new league. Unfamiliar. Dark. Awful.

















Terrifying.





































Still no news. What is wrong with the reporters here – or over there? This should be a national story! This is the third declaration of war in just over a month! If you ask me, all the journalists should be sacked, because they’re doing a rubbish job.













Or maybe, a voice in my head tells me, maybe they’re being stopped. Maybe your Father doesn’t want it put out that he bombed Rebels under the age of eighteen. Maybe this is a secret.































But how can you keep something like this hushed up? He wouldn’t really do that, would he?
































I’m shaking on the sofa, not knowing what to do. It’s like being in limbo. On one hand, I’m sure Logan and his friends are dead…but I can’t stop a tiny fissure of hope entering my heart. What if they somehow made it? Or what if Father couldn’t get his hands on a deadly enough bomb at such short notice? After all, this was literally on his orders. It’s not like before, when he’s just agreed to plans made by officials below him. He initiated this. He did this. He’s killed all those people. All those children.














I am the daughter of a murderer.





























This is where I am sitting when Seth comes in, bouncing on his heels after what I can only assume was a successful game of football. Damn. I better sort out my facial expression.





“Hi,” I say, forcing my face into a smile.
























Luckily, he buys it. “I scored six out of eight goals!” he says, his eyes shiny with triumph. “Knocked Tristan and his team out of the park! Literally!”


























“That’s great,” I say. I clear my throat. “Um, you didn’t hear about anything strange going on did you?”







































Seth frowns. “No. Not really. More guards maybe. Why? What’s going on?”
























Me and my big mouth.
































“I dunno,” I shrug. “It just looked like Father and the other officials were in a pretty important meeting today. They stayed in there for ages. And they’re back in there now.”














“Everyone’s probably still paranoid over the square bombing,” Seth says.
















Yes, thank you for reminding me. Now is really not the time for flashbacks.
















Is Logan facing the same fate now? Only worse, because he’s in the thick of it?














“Seriously,” my brother says. “It’s nothing to worry about.”























You wish, I wish, I think scathingly, then remember it isn’t Seth’s fault. It’s mine. Mine and Father’s.





























Does my twin have a right to know who one of his parents is? Or would the truth just damage him like it’s damaged me?































But then…Seth doesn’t care about the Rebels. So would he care if I told him…?












It’s too late, though, because the news I’ve been waiting for is flashing on the screen. The only two feelings I can feel are dread and relief. They wouldn’t announce the names, would they? Of the dead? And I can’t help feeling sick at the thought of anyone’s face coming up…looking at their picture, knowing they’re dead. Worse than that. That a member of my family had a hand in killing them. And so did I, because I didn’t get there in time.































Next to me on the sofa, Seth gives me a shocked glance. Before he can speak, the reporter gets there first.









































She has a big smile on her face. “I can exclusively reveal a top-secret Government operation has been successful,” she says, showing her gleaming sharp teeth. “All credit, of course, goes to our leader: General Cyril Spear, through these tough times. I will now switch over to Mike, our first reporter near the bombed Rebel site. Mike, what can you tell us?”






































The television screen flips over to the woman’s fellow journalist, who is in a plane. I can just about make out the Training block below, the top half all but obliterated. It looks like a fallen mountain of crushed grey stones. I can’t see any bodies. Maybe because of the camera angle. I guess they don’t want Government citizens to see what we’ve done. After all, how will they know it was a school of sorts? It could be any old building. That’s what I’d think if I didn’t know the truth. If I wasn’t carrying around my guilt like a sickness.





























“You can’t help but notice the subdued atmosphere in this Rebel town today, Claire,” he says, giving us that same wide smile, so we are treated to two rows of unnatural white teeth.














































I can’t help thinking of that day the Rebels bombed the shopping centre, how they celebrated afterwards. Their joy…the reporter’s joy…is it all the same?



















I have barely reached this conclusion when Father and his soldiers march down the stairs, faces grim with satisfaction. Heavily guarded, they leave the house.





















This is my chance. But first, I have to get rid of Seth, or I’ll never get out of here. I’ll just have to swallow my panic and act responsibly. If I freak out now, he’ll know something’s up.






























“Hey, Seth,” I say. “I think Rose is having another pool party this Sunday. Can you email her and ask when?”











































It’s a cheap stunt, but I think she might have mentioned something yesterday. I wasn’t listening properly. Well, it’ll distract him for a few minutes, and by then it’ll be too late. Hopefully if he finds out this is a ruse, he’ll think I’ll just pranking him and assume I’m hiding somewhere. And I know my brother. He won’t look for me, because whenever we used to play hide-and-seek, he’d make me wait for hours until he ‘found’ me, when he knew all along I was behind the plant pot. I was traumatised for life. Boys can be evil.







I take my chance as soon as Seth has his laptop. Then, without stopping to think, I dart up the stairs and bash open the office door, rip the painting out of the way, and shut it back after me. Then I am running as fast as you can on knees, praying he’s in there…







I’m getting closer. This is it. I dimly wonder what I’ll do if he isn’t there. I suppose he could be at the hospital, or one of his friends could be injured but…


























The little white door opens before I have my hand on the knob. And there stands Logan…alive!
























Completely taking leave of my senses, I give him such a tight hug he nearly falls over.












Then I stand back, embarrassed. “Sorry,” I say sheepishly. “I didn’t mean to wake the whole house!”



























“You haven’t,” he says, grinning. “What’s wrong, did you think I was dead?”













I sit his shoulder. “Something like that, you big idiot,” I say. “Now I wish I hadn’t bothered coming.”

































“Well, that is a shame,” he says. “Because I have marshmallows…”

















I have them out of his hand before he can finish his sentence. As I sit listening to him recount the tale of ‘when the ceiling came in’, bloody head bandage as a cool accessory, there’s something glaring at the back of my mind. The knowledge he has no idea who my Father is. That I am the daughter of General Spear, the man who bombed his Training block – his friends. The man who could have got him killed.





































If he ever finds out, I think it’s the end for us. Because there comes a point when you can’t ignore the fact your friend’s father wants you dead.
























But for now, we’ll toast to marshmallows.

I wake up to a gift.

































Right under the little white door. You have got to be kidding me. Summer must have snuck back here early in the morning just to deliver this. And that was after spending the best part of the night here, too. She must have been half-zombie. But still, I’m not going to argue. She’s sent me medicine, spare bandages. Stuff to help the injured. And there’s no way I can thank her. For some reason, she has decided to help the Rebels, again and again. I wonder what her family would say if they found out. She must at least come from a family of some rich official or the other, maybe a small-time politician. Even I can see that, from her resources, her clothes. I’ve never really given it much thought…













But on another note, how am I going to explain away this one? With the food basket, I had to say I found it abandoned in the forest one day. How long before they smell a rat?




There’s only one thing for it. I’ll have to leave it on the hospital doorstep. That way, as long as I’m not seen, I can’t be directly linked to this present. And as another plus, I can stop taking the credit for what Summer’s done. I wish there was some way I could tell them, but that would only result in trouble for her. It’s the thought that counts, I suppose. She doesn’t seem the type to need praise, anyway. She just does stuff anyway.














Well, I’m clean out of marshmallows, so for now, I’m indebted. Oh well. Still, my pride is the tiniest bit crushed. Not a lot. Just a little. Hardly noticeable. I don’t even think about my ego.



































Much.









































I pull on trainers with flapping soles, grab a bowl of pea soup (well, it’s not tomato), and flop down on the sofa next to Dad. I want to yell: ‘I have medicine!’ but that’s not really an option, so I sit quietly beside him, trying to look as depressed as everyone else. Well, we all got out alive, at least, in my class. Some were just more badly wounded than others. I don’t know much about what happened to the people on the other side of the building (the worst hit), but my suspicions have been confirmed: they want to scare us. Tell us they are never going to let this go. Why did we even have to bomb their stupid shopping centre?































It’s just landed more trouble at our door. Still, we are more determined than ever.










But there’s something else bothering me.




























“Where are we going to train now?” I say.



























“I don’t know,” Dad answers wearily. “But we’ll sort something out.”


















“Something safer than the last one, I hope,” Mum says, brushing a tangle off her face. “The security was ridiculous. If you hadn’t been so quick-thinking, Logan, I don’t know what would have happened to you and Steve.”





























Yeah, just imagine. I look at him out of the corner of my eye, and he scowls.

















“It was nothing, really,” I say, stretching a modest arm. “Just doing my bit.”














“You always have to play the hero, don’t you?” Steve says. Everyone looks at him in surprise. “The idiot, more like. Rushing around like superman. Right. The only reason we weren’t killed is because the Government didn’t want all of us dead.”















“To be honest, I can’t be bothered with your twisted routine right now,” I say in a bored voice. “See you later guys. I’m…going up to see a friend.” I get up and walk back to my bedroom, start stuffing my army rucksack with the medicine. Steve, unknowingly, has given me the perfect excuse to get out. The little rat.



















I buy some mints and a top-up of marshmallows from Julie, who seems to have a decade’s supply of sweets. Oh well, as long as they keep coming. She might even have a food source – a small supplier. You can’t really blame her for keeping it quiet. So would I. Besides, she’s all that’s keeping us alive at the minute, and that’s all that matters.













I have to double back to get to the hospital, as it’s opposite where I live. I can already see it’s teeming with students and emaciated adults collapsed on the dirty white covers. If they see me, I’m screwed.
































But maybe if I go round the hospital, act like I’m looking for a friend, they won’t be suspicious. Anyway, they might think the medicine is a poisoned present – because it’s obvious it’s from the Government. It’ll make it worse if they see some randomer drop it on the doorstep and sneak away. I’ll just have to pretend I’m just as shocked as everyone else. Trouble is, I never did Drama.



























Nonchalantly, I drop the tub in the grass, just below the step leading to the hospital doors. Then I push my way inside.




























Right away, the smell stings my nose. It’s like vomit travelling in particles through the air; corrupting the oxygen. I can taste blood, dirt, agony on my tongue. It’s horrible in here. Horrible. The walls are just as splattered as the grass outside. How is anyone supposed to get better in here? I’ll probably catch my death just breathing in this squalor. Great. I always said I didn’t want to die in a place like this.






























“Er, hi,” I say to a nosy Nurse. “I’m just looking for…er…” Just think of a name, you idiot. “Er – Jamie. I’m looking for Jamie.”


































The Nurse raises her eyebrows. “How do to you expect us to know all the names?”












“OK, fair enough,” I say, holding up my hands. “Calm down. I was only asking.”





















She starts to spout some mumbo-jumbo about visiting hours, but I butt in before she can chuck me out.










































“People just come anytime, anyway,” I say. “So what’s different about me?”


















“You’re annoying,” she says, but I think I catch a smile. If you look very, very hard. Jeez. Wrinkles. Maybe I better take a step back.






















“Well, in that case, I’ll just be off then,” I look back at the last minute. “Sweetheart.”









She chucks a cushion at my head.































My aim is to crash back home when I set off, seeing as I literally live across the road. But I feel my feet taking me in a different direction.





















































































Soon I am cutting across the grass, listening to the quiet stillness of nature and whistling under my breath. An old jingle bells tune. Only in my version, Steve smells instead of Batman.






































I trip over a few twigs, which kind of ruins the atmosphere. Stupid human tread.










I’m tempted to stop off by the lake, but I don’t reckon even the fish would be stupid enough to fall for a stick as bait. Nah, I think they’re cleverer than that.
















Still, just imagine. Here fishy, take the dirty log. I don’t think so.















Maybe a stone would work?





























I watch the ripples in the murky blue water for a while, my eyes staring into nothingness. I wonder what it would be like to live below the surface. Hidden, ducking from bigger predators, eating smaller fish. It’s got to be a peaceful life, even if you did have less than five brain cells. Well, something like that.
























But there’s no time to think about that anymore because I’m past the lake, past the woods, and at my destination.





























The old Training block.













































Part of me thinks I’m stupider than the fish for coming here. What if the planes were to come back? If they decided to burn the remains to the ground?




































But I’m so mad, standing here. In the blackened rubble I once sat in, listening to Mr Blake rant about the Government. How they know no limits. How they will not stop. How we must not give up.































It turns out he was right after all, our mentor. A bit unhinged, maybe, but right. I should have known, I think viciously, of course they were always going to get us back.











You don’t get away with out-smarting them for long. Because they bite back – and they are crueller, richer, more experienced than us. They can press a button and drive us into the ground.






































So why don’t they? Why don’t they end this now, and save all the bother, all the cost, of a war?































There must be a reason we are still going, and it’s not because we’re all superman. There’s something else. I just can’t think what it is.

















Think, Logan.





































It’s no use. My head still feels like crap, banging away like a bad drum. Damn. That is actually pretty painful. Well, if I die here, at least it’ll be in defiance of them. Stubbornly dead on the charred echo that was once my Training block.
















I suppose I should get back now. But I almost have it. The reason we’re not in our graves yet.






































In other towns, we must be winning.

Lockdown. It’s such an ugly word. But so true.























If I thought it was bad before, then now it’s unbearable. I think we’re paranoid the Rebels are going to bomb us right back. Which basically means being escorted everywhere. And being treated to propaganda assemblies. My favourite place is, surprisingly, becoming Logan’s filthy bedroom. Well, it’s more fun than here; stuck in this grand old house or the grey school or John’s upholstered black car or Rose’s black-and- white conservatory. As it turns out, it’s not so great here, either. Just in a different way to poverty and bronze coins.





























When I wake up for school the next morning, my limbs are heavy with exhaustion. I stretch with difficulty and step out of bed, trying to remind myself this is a new day.




But seriously, I can feel the boredom already. Which is probably why I feel so stiff and robotic. It’s like the spark out of life has disappeared. And you know the saddest thing? I’m actually starting to enjoy homework detentions now. At least there’s some drama in being told you’re going to be failed. What does it matter, anyway? In case they hadn’t noticed, there’s a war going on. Who knows if I’ll even see Tuesday?












Less dramatically, I don’t think anyone actually cares about ‘chasing their dreams’ right now. I think we’ve all grown up and accepted the world isn’t all we wanted it to be.








That’s just life. You win some, you snooze some. Though there’s not much chance of me getting back into bed now I’m up. Besides, it’s a hot June day.

















My lazy brother is still lying in his, though. With his sweet, dream-filled face, it’s hard for me to associate this boy with the annoying bedraggled footballer from reality. His hair is ruffled like trampled-on hay, and I swear I’ve never seen him so calm. I frown. We must be giving him too much sugar in the daytime. I make a mental note to warn Joanne. Or maybe it’s just because this place doesn’t exist for him right now. Whichever.









I pick up my brush and gently comb through the light blonde strands of hair, like spun silk. I’m barely awake enough to open my eyes, to be honest. My fingers fumble as I tie my hair into a long, thick plait down my chest, like Rapunzel. Then I sigh. There are still shadows the size of grapes under my eyes. More purple than black and almost faded, but definitely there. They are a reminder of how prominent the nightmares still are.






































At the Breakfast table, Seth is chatty as ever. I was obviously delusional to think my twin could ever appear peaceful, even when softened with the stroke of sleep. He’s just so…





“A little bird by the name of Rose told me you haven’t handed in a history essay for the sixth time this term,” he says, cocking his head to the side and tutting.















“The snitch!” I say, outraged by this breech in female solidarity. OK, it doesn’t really exist, but maybe a girl can dream after all.
























John is waiting outside with the car when we run out, digging each other in the ribs and fighting for the best seat. He wins, the little snake. I glare at him all the way there, but there’s not much point because his eyes are turned towards the window.












“Jeez,” he says. “So many soldiers.”





























I look out of the glass on my side, and have to gasp too. There is at least one armed officer covering every front and backend of the street. If anything happens, the Government will be notified in seconds. Apparently, we’re not taking any chances.









“The Rebels won’t be striking back any time soon,” I say, my face half-hidden in the light from the open window.










































“Good,” Seth says. “Serves them right.” He looks like he wants to say more, but he shakes his head. And anyway, it’s too late because we’ve arrived.















“I’ll pick you up at three,” John says as we slam the doors shut. “So not a minute late or I’ll tell your father!”





























What is wrong with the rats round here?



































































We skip into the lifeless school as the electronic bell sounds across the whole building. Seth and I hurry to English, where Miss Margo is handing out sheets for the lesson. Since she’s one of the few teachers I can stand, I offer to help, and kick Seth where she can’t see so he does too. I like to think I’m doing my bit as a sister. Someone has to teach him manners.















































“Your essay was very good, Summer,” she says, smiling at me. “I gave it top marks.”









Praise, for once! I should do homework more often. Or maybe it’s just because I actually like English. It’s not that bad, imagining to be someone else…what it would be like to live the life of a character so different to you. It’s like time travel; or a portal to another world. For a few comfortable hours, you get to see the world through someone else’s eyes. It’s restful.






























“Thanks, miss,” I say, painting on my brightest smile. Seth sticks his tongue out at me behind her back. Since our teacher can see my face, I make do with a gun sign under the table. Subtle. But he is so dead.





















Hordes of students start to enter as the late bell rings. They are just on time though, so they’ve been clever. Stayed out the longest, came in right on the buzzer. It annoys the teacher and the early kids, so it’s the perfect plan, really. I can’t help admiring my smarter counterparts.





































Rose all but drags me to the back row of seats, which is unusual for her, because she’s usually one of those eager-eyed pupils who park their chair right at the front. Must be serious, then.

































“Can you come to my house after school?” she says, and I feel bad she has to corner me to get me to come. I mean…I know I’ve been distracted, but I hadn’t realized how much I’ve been neglecting my friends. At least, the ones on this side. Loyalties are getting so twisted in this war.



































So who am I choosing?






































“Yeah, sure I’ll come,” I say. “It should be…fun.”
*

Ah, famous last words.

























































Eight hours later, we are painting our lips scarlet; lining our eyes with black liquid, and styling our hair like silent movie stars. We each give the mirror heartbreaking kisses, and take pictures with faked poses. We are old school for one night, and it fills me with just the excitement I need.
































“You really could be an actress, you know,” Rose says as we apply glittery blusher. “You’ve got the confidence, the looks, the pout.”



















“Get real,” I say, nudging her until she smiles. “It’s all about the brunettes these days.”




I grin at her and shake my hair out till it’s wild, and soon our movie night turns Frankenstein. We wipe garish make-up across our faces, and ink spiders under our eyes with mascara. We look terrifying. But, monsters or not, we save the look forever on Rose’s camera.
































“Let’s wash this off,” she says to me later. “Or I don’t think you’ll ever be allowed to visit again!”






































“Then I’ll rise from my grave and suck everyone’s blood…” I leap at her, and she screams and ducks out of the way, buckling over her mother’s shoe. She falls in a heap on the white carpet, and I do a dramatic trip and fall over her.




























Neither of us can be bothered to get up, so we just lie staring at the ceiling, giggling about how Mark from year ten caught Rose’s eye at Lunch, how Seth turns bright red whenever he’s near her, and how life is passing us geeks behind.















“We’re teenagers now,” Rose says. “Aren’t we supposed to be junior alcoholics?”














































“Not us,” I say. “The strongest thing we’ll try is apple sauce.” We both laugh, remembering how it always used to make our cheeks suck in when we were little.









“Things were different then,” my friend says wistfully. “Better.”

















“Better how?” I say, because all I seem to recount is never being able to go anywhere like usual. How the park was the most exotic place I’d ever been. Well, I’ve seen more interesting things since.





























It was easier…but was it better, to be cushioned from the world?















I’m not so sure.



































“It was simpler,” Rose shrugs. “We had our friends, bed times, the places we could go. We were too young and stupid to understand stuff was prevented for a reason.”









“I’d rather know,” I say. “It’s just frustrating for me, because all the information is at my disposal! Right in father’s office!”


























Rose looks at me out of the corner of her eye. “Summer,” she says sternly. “You haven’t been in there, have you?”





































I blush because it’s so much worse, and she can’t ever know. For her own sake as well as mine. Besides, she’d probably hate me if she knew, and despite the fact we don’t hang out as often as we should, I need my best friend. And I don’t want to get her in trouble because I couldn’t stop myself going to areas I had no right to go to.













What a mess.

















































“Not really,” I say. “I just can’t help noticing stuff.”

























“I suppose not,” she says. “So anyway, did Seth mention last week?”

















“When you bumped into him at the cinema?” I say incredulously. She nods unashamedly. “Yeah, loads. He’s in love, Rose!”









































She turns her head towards me, and says: “Oh, Summer, don’t you know boys don’t have the brain cells to actually like people?”



























I laugh, because it turns out there are still many worldly things I am yet to learn.









Even if I am friends with a Rebel.

I never once imagined they would actually teach us at army base.













But with supplies down and the Training centre bombed, we have no choice. So that means travelling by coach to get there. Nothing important lives where I do. We’re a very small part of the Rebellion. Dad says we are gaining in all the outside towns, but the Government remain stubbornly in control of the centre. That will be the hardest, I think. Breaking into the middle. But until then, we will gather round, getting closer and closer. And then we will take the capital city as ours.
















































It should be fun.



































Since we’ll be given special clothing when we get there, I throw on an old t-shirt, tracksuit bottoms, and my half-dead trainers. I won’t win any fashion awards, but I’ll do.






I leave my hair scruffy from bed, even though the soldiers there will most likely be smart and sharp-eyed. I know they’re looking for obedient little lap dogs, but no one gets to mess with my floppy mop. Right. Like I care anyway.





















I wander out to the kitchen, and almost fall over in shock. Mum is frying eggs by the old cooker that never gets used. What happened to tomato soup?

















“Er,” I say as she passes me a cup. Silver and springy and unfamiliar.














“Julie had some that goes out of date today,” she says, wiping a shell off her face. “So we got lucky.”





























Well, I can’t question that. I sit down on the sofa and savour breakfast, because it doesn’t smell of sick, and it isn’t lumpy. It’s new.








































































































I dig for every last scrap, my spoon squeaking as it touches the bottom. I’m not entirely satisfied, but then, when am I ever?






























At ten a.m., I yell goodbye and shut the door in Steve’s face, whistling. We may be getting on the same coach, but I’m going nowhere near that boy.


































I quicken my pace all the same, hoping to meet Richard on the way, but no sign. That little nerd is always earlier than me.
































The coach is parked outside the sole pharmacy in our area, where it said it would be. There are around fifty students waiting to get on, but the timing must be exact because we’re not allowed on till ten thirty. Seems a bit obsessive, but no one can really be bothered to argue against it.
































I sit down at the back of the bus with Richard and Beatrix. Isadora almost doesn’t make it, because apparently she spilt nail varnish all over her white duvet sheet, which happens to be a sentimental item because it belonged to the shop assistant’s mum. Honestly. Maybe she should have just stayed at home, because no offence, but I don’t think she’s made for army base.



























I remind myself we’ll only be in the junior department, but it’s a step in the right direction. Literally – I keep imagining the soldier boots, marching across a concrete battlefield. Maybe I should have taken my medication this morning. Not that I’m insane or anything.

























































The coach thunders along the lane, occasionally breaking down. Wow. It seems even the most privileged Rebel objects are made of junk. That just about sums up our chances, then.










































“Wish we’d hurry up,” Richard says, drumming his fingers on the dirt-caked window.










“We’ll get there when we get there,” Beatrix says irritably.

















“Alright, chill,” I say, and she just shoves me.
























“PMS,” Richard whispers.


























“Definitely,” I mutter back.



































Someone has the idea to play some happy country music as we go along, which turns out to be much more annoying than planned. Well, you try listening to ‘sunshine and lollipops’ over and over again for two hours.
























“If I hear that one more time…” Richard starts to say, but it goes off at that moment. Good. I hope the battery’s died.





























“Right, all off,” says the driver ten minutes later. “And remember, I am not responsible for any items left on the seats. But if left unclaimed, we will take them into our custody.”





“Yeah, I bet you will,” I say darkly as I come off the bus. Luckily, I’ve only brought myself today, and I hardly think I can forget that. Besides, let The army base is shaped like a fat, swollen square. Brick-white and unsmiling, it hardly invites new visitors. Still, all kinds of weaponry lies within its walls, and I for one can’t wait to get my hands on some cool stuff. I wonder if they have bullet-proof vests, protective armour? But then, they’d have to give us guns first…
























Not bloody likely in my book.


















































































































“They’ll probably just get us to colour in some pretty pictures of General Spear with a knife in his chest,” Beatrix says gloomily as we’re shown in by a quiet woman in traditional green gear.



























































“That’s not very optimistic,” Isadora says.




























“Are you asking for a slap?” she replies, and we laugh.





















“You will be taken to the outer building,” the woman says, marching ahead of us. “Follow me, and don’t talk.”









































So, silently, we follow her to a large room sort of like an assembly hall, only bare. No chairs. There are mats spread across the room, and fitness equipment in separate stations. I can guess what today’s about.






























































For some stupid reason, the army coach in charge wants to put us in register order. He says it will increase formality and encourage focus, not chatter. But I think he just wants to piss me off. I am shoved with the boy who is only my brother by blood, and three others that go by the surnames Stevens, Thompson, and Ukwu.
















“Just so you know, I’m happy about this, either,” Steve hisses when I shoot him a disgusted glare.
































“Then we agree on something,” I say with a raise of my eyebrows.















Our first station is ‘teamwork’. Yay. Go team I-hate-your-guts. It involves us getting back ‘home’ (to the red X) on a ‘boat’ (an ugly mattress) to avoid the ‘sea’ (the floor). I rescue the two others and leave Steve stranded, which earns me a demerit. How will I live?







“You must include all members of your team to be a good soldier in missions and combat,” Soldier Grey tells me, a tight line in his forehead.

















“Sorry sir,” I say pleasantly. “I forgot all about him.”























“That’s another skill you’ll need,” he says. “Making sure you count your numbers.”












Wow, he actually bought that? Maybe he’s spent too much time in those boots, not enough time growing a brain. I don’t say any of this, because even I have the sense to shut my mouth. I reckon if I do anything else, that’s me straight out the door. Oh well. We’ve done the worst challenge, anyway.



















And it’s not like I can’t be a team player. If I like my team. Anyway, it’s best to operate alone. That way, you only have to rely on yourself. That rules out risks of betrayal, hate, frustration, and counting on other people’s abilities. And suffering because of their mistakes. I learnt that the piss-annoying way.























We move on clockwise to station four. Jumping around on a trampoline. Productive. I bounce so high I almost break the dodgy springs. It must be the eggs.














“Careful,” says my new best friend Soldier Grey.




















“It’s not my fault everything’s so crap round here,” I say under my breath, and I think I catch a chuckle before he resumes his stern you-shouldn’t-have-said-that face.











There are more hotspots still after this. Running. Relay (in which I accidentally miss Steve’s open hand), knife-throwing, boxing (where my brother and I take delight in punching each other in the face) and finally – the egg-and-spoon race.












“What the f - ?” I say as everyone stares at our instructor like he’s gone senile. I mean, crazy as old Blake was, at least he didn’t patronise us. Much.

















Without wasting time, I run and eat my egg, as well as the eggs of my team mates. It’s hard and half-boiled, but it’ll do for Lunch, I think. This is how come we run with empty spoons when it’s our turn to go up against the other teams.





























“What is going on?” says Soldier Grey. “Why have you given yourselves this unfair advantage?”




































“It was him,” Steve says with shining bright eyes. He jerks his finger at me. “He ate our equipment, sir.”












































I try to look innocent. “I don’t know what he’s talking about. Someone else must have stolen them.”



























“That is a very serious accusation,” Soldier Grey says to Steve, surveying him in distaste.










“But – he - !” it’s too late for the snake to blab about more, though, because our instructor has walked away.



















































“What a shame,” I say. “I really wanted to confess and all, but…” I give a tragic sigh.























“You always were a greedy piece of shit, weren’t you?” Steve says, his pinched nostrils flaring up as he stares at me.











































“Don’t know what you mean,” I push him out of my face. “If you’ll excuse me, I have a race to win.”





























I run with my empty spoon and beat all the other competitors, but where no one can see, an icy knife twists in my stomach.























































I think I’d call that a successful initiation day.

Twenty-two
Summer
I sit slowly falling asleep in Geography, my head drooping towards my paper map. A couple of times, Tristan tries to nudge me, but I’m not moving for anyone. I stayed out late again last night. Risked another quick jaunt through the hole. Apparently, they’re training the Rebel kids at Army base now. That seems a little extreme, but Logan seemed delighted. I don’t know why. He doesn’t actually want to learn how to kill people, does he?

































OK, so he’s not the biggest fan of the Government, but seriously, like Rose says, we’re teenagers. The only murder we’re supposed to commit is to the next-door-neighbours via loud rock music. I just hope he never finds out I’m the daughter of the enemy mastermind. It’s not like I want to be right now, anyway. So maybe I should just pretend I’m not. I haven’t been able to look at him once since he bombed the Training block. So far, I’ve seen no remorse. It probably made his week, almost killing my friend. And I’m convinced if he ever found out about Logan, he’d strike him off for real. So neither can know about the other. That’s okay. It’s not like they’ll ever meet.














What are the chances of that?







































“Teacher alert,” Tristan says in my ear.


































I give a start and sit up. I really can’t be bothered to do another detention this month. It’s too much. Especially in the summer heat. I don’t know why I got named after this season. Putting weather aside, Father’s smiles are as rare as gold coins in Rebel towns. So I don’t know how the sunny personality thing factored either. Oh well. Maybe he was different back then. I mean, why else would Mother, my beautiful, impatient Mother, marry such a man?














































Logan only knows.










































































“Summer Spear, what did I just say?” Mr Burke says, clicking his tongue.

























“Er…” There’s an obvious answer to this, of course, but judging by the pulse in his temple, I don’t think it’s wise for me to say it. So I mutter: “Um…the western hemisphere is in the…er…west?”



























I look up at him hopefully.































He curls his lip. “Outside,” he says quietly.










































Damn.







































Deciding not to cause a fuss this time around, I get out of my chair, pull a face at Tristan, and walk out of the room. I can already feel Seth shaking his head at me from behind. Well, he can go and get his halo polished.






























After a while I’m so tired I slide down the wall and close my eyes. It’s not exactly classy, sitting on the floor, but it is pretty shiny, really, so it must have just been cleaned. And OK, it’s quite rough here, but if I think hard enough, I can imagine it’s as soft as my flower duvet.




























































































Maybe I’m crazy. Who cares? I need to sleep.
























I’m awoken goodness knows how many minutes later by the angry squeak of my teacher’s shoes. What? Now I’m in trouble for something I can’t control?












Great. Just great. Why don’t they just go ahead and expel me? I clearly have no place in their perfect little school. Seriously, maybe I should sign up to Logan’s lessons and bring them all down. All of them. We’ll see whose laughing then.





















OK, maybe I should apologize now.





































“Sorry for falling asleep,” I say anxiously, biting my lip.




















“Up,” he says coldly, looking down on me like I’m chewing gum stuck to his shoe. Dirty, aging chewing gum.





































“I said up!” he says.






































By the look on his face, he’s wishing hitting students was still legal. Sighing, I heave myself into a standing position, and wait for his next rant.




















“Just get in the classroom,” he says wearily, the anger dying in his eyes.














“Right,” I’m in before he can say anything else. I determinedly avoid Seth’s disapproving gaze, and flop back down next to Tristan. I’m so glad Rose isn’t in my Geography class. There’s still Amanda, but she’s not as likely to get on her very high horse.














“I don’t know how you’re still here,” Tristan says, smirking. Well, it’s not a frown, at least.





“Me neither,” I say. “I wish they’d get it over with and kick me out. I’m bored of being sent out.”







































“They can’t give you the boot,” he says. “Or your father will have him assassinated.”








“Too true,” I say. “I think they just like to torture me. Well, bring on the thumb screws, but this girl isn’t changing for anyone.”

































Tristan smiles like I’m off my head and he’s only just realized it. I can’t quite work out whether he’s serious or not.































“I’m finished with this school, anyway,” I say. “I just can’t be bothered to meet their military standards anymore.”




























“Looks pretty bad, though,” Tristan says. “The ruler’s daughter refusing to obey instructions. How does that look in the war effort? Because you know our side is all about falling in line.”










































And suddenly I do. I don’t want this war, but I don’t want to live like this anymore.







Does that make me…a traitor?






























I shrink away from the word, but my actions can easily be interpreted as rebellious. OK, so I’m not actually pro-patriotism. So I’ve helped the enemy a number of times. So I made friends with a Rebel by accident. So I hate my father. Do all these things make me that?





All I know is I want this to end. But that can’t happen. It’s too late. Besides, I don’t think anyone agrees with me. I’m the exception. Everyone else seems to be thirsting for the other side’s blood. Why can’t we all just be united by marshmallows?












I think the world would be a better place.


























As Tristan, Seth, Amanda and me are walking to Science, there’s a sudden announcement magnified by the huge loudspeakers above. It’s the head teacher.













“All students in years nine, ten and eleven: listen now. You must all come down to the assembly hall in alphabetical order. We are holding a special accumulation to discuss what to do when under attack from the Rebels. Students in years seven and eight have already had this lecture. Please move quietly down the stairs, causing no disturbances to current classes. Thank you.” The intercom crackles out, and the voice fades with it.






“He’s not serious,” I say, torn between raging and laughing.


















“Let’s go,” Amanda says, an amused smile crossing her face. “Before they think we’ve been kidnapped by Rebels hiding round the corner.”

































We snort and walk down the stairs, joining Rose in the line, who immediately starts speculating over what they’re going to say. Isn’t it obvious? It’s just another tirade of hateful propaganda, scoring points as usual.



























I’m so sick of this stupid war and these stupid assemblies and my stupid life. Why can’t they all just grow up and put down their toy guns? It’s pathetic.













And nobody’s listening to me. They’re all too busy screwing their faces up and imagining destroying each other. Don’t they ever think about something else? Don’t they get bored?







































“No, Summer, they don’t,” Seth tells me. “At least, not until they’ve won.”












“Nobody’s going to win,” I say scornfully. “We’re just going round in circles.”








“What else are we supposed to do?” Rose says. “We have to fight back.”












“Yeah,” Tristan says. “Because somehow, I don’t think the new Rebel system would be very fair on us.”


































I haven’t thought of that. In my chest, my heart takes a drop. This is never going to end. The words of one juvenile school girl aren’t going to change anything, because in this war, individuals are meaningless. It takes a whole group to make things different. And both the Government and Rebel people want to fight. They want this.











It really doesn’t matter what I think. In fact, I’m supposed to be all for it too. As I keep being reminded, I’m the General’s daughter. I’m a Government girl. I’m part of this, too, whether I like it or not.




























Bearing all these things in mind, I don’t know why I do it. It’s just, as the head teacher keeps talking about the war and how we have to crush them, I get angrier and angrier inside. I can feel the heat, sizzling in my veins. Waiting to burst. So maybe that’s why I say it.

































“You’re all stupid!” I’m standing up now, right in the middle of the assembly hall, two bright slashes of pink across my cheeks. “You’re all going to lose!”













“Sit down, you hysterical girl,” the head teacher says lazily.
















“No!” I say. “No! I’m sick of getting told what to do! I’m sick of you all, banging on and on and on about something neither of us can win!”






















“I said sit down,” he says, quiet fury masked in his words.


















“Why?” I say, ignoring the stares, the whispers, the gasps. This is not something we do here. Not ever. “What’s the point? Will the war be over? No! Will we stop bombing each other? No! Will there be peace? No!”


























It's at that point two soldiers carry me out of the room.




















I do not go quietly.

There’s only one word for the new army regime: gruelling.


















OK, maybe two more words. Long. Demanding. And one other thing: our instructors are off their heads. Crazy. Mental. Round the twist. And they just keep pushing. There’s only one good thing: they’ve learned not to put me with Steve. After that first day, they are wary.











































And so they should be.





































































Within the next two weeks, we are primed, trained, tired out. Kitted out in junior green uniforms; fitted with marching black boots. They try to give me a haircut, and fail. I think my silent glare may have scared them.








































We even, slowly, learn how to handle a gun. Nothing major. Just the positioning. How it works. How to inch your finger off the trigger. Mum wasn’t happy to be honest – largely because my stupid brother went and told her – but there’s not much she can say in her defence. Does she want us to be helpless in the face of armed soldiers? In this war, you can’t be a victim – or you’re dead.



























Still, it does feel a bit weird, actually holding one of those things. We’ve spent so long waiting, so long imagining, so long thinking, that it feels strange to be handed one now. Odd. Like being given a time bomb. Well, some people definitely handle theirs wearily, like it could turn on them at any minute. And I’ll admit, I did have that initial reaction. That I might do something wrong and it might backfire on me. But, of course, we don’t use real bullets. Just rubber fakes. I think it’ll be a long while before we’re trusted with a weapon like that. Especially considering what you can do with it. End someone’s life. Just like that, in a second. It eludes a strange, deadly sort of power. One people are almost afraid of.



































I think I preferred the knives.



































I do up the laces on my shoes, attempt to comb my hair down, and walk to the living room. It’s back to tomato soup, unfortunately. I will never understand the novelty of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.


























“Oh, stop pulling that face,” Mum says with a grin. “You love it really.”
















I just grimace. Nobody will understand how much I despise it. For Breakfast and for dinner, everyday. My loathing for the liquid horror almost matches my hate for the Government. Almost. Because nothing can quite eclipse that. If I behave myself, I can move through Training, maybe actually get to fight. To end this.















I know this is severely unlikely, but I have this mad hope I can be the one to kill General Spear. And that will really signal their surrender. Our victory. Of course, someone else will do that. Probably not even in direct combat. He’s the type of bloke who sits behind the desk, sending out task forces and bombs, but doing none of the hard work himself. If we’re to take him out, it’ll have to be in a blast. And even then, there’s no guarantee he’ll die. He’s probably one of those people who survive anything, live till they’re 200. He’ll most likely outlive me, and I’m not even fourteen yet.


















With these depressing thoughts in my ear, I kick the door open and start to cut across the grass to get to the coach. I don’t even look at my burned ex-school anymore.








“Hey,” Beatrix says when she sees me coming nearer. “Seen Richard? Isadora’s late as usual.”



















































“He isn’t here?” I say incredulously. I can feel a smug smile forming on my face. “For real?”











































Beatrix pushes me. “What’s with the euphoria?”






























“Nothing,” I say bemusedly, shaking my head. I feel like I’ve just had a beer or something. All light-headed. “But I got here before Richard! That must be a new Guinness world record!”






























“Get over yourself,” she says, rolling her trademark eyes.





















“Cheerful, aren’t you?” I say as she scowls. “But seriously, he must’ve got out of the wrong side of the sofa this morning. He’s always here! I don’t believe it!”












“Logan, I am five minutes away from shooting your sorry guts,” Beatrix says, flipping her short dark hair away from her face.

























“OK, I’ll stop,” I say. “It’s not my fault, anyway. Delayed reaction to shock or something.”















Beatrix is just about to take me up on that threat when Isadora runs up to us, her long curly hair blowing behind her.


































“Hi guys!” she says brightly. “Where’s Rich?”


























“You should know, he’s your cousin,” Beatrix says.






















“Ignore her, she’s having problems at the moment,” I say, earning me a jab in the ribs. That actually hurt quite a lot.

























Isadora pulls a puppy-dog expression. “We can’t leave without him!” she says miserably. “What do you think he’s doing?”

























“Straightening his hair?” I suggest.


































“Maybe,” Isadora says seriously. “Why did he have to pick today to get vain?”















“Guess we’ll never know,” I say, while Beatrix rolls her eyes again. “Hey, I’ve just thought of something – hang on a sec, this is pretty spectacular. What if he burnt himself on the curling tongs –”









































“Thought it was hair straighteners?” Beatrix says snidely.























“Yeah, whatever,” I say. “But what if he’s actually managed to land himself in hospital?”















“That is so sad!” Isadora says.






























“That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard,” says Beatrix. Spoilsport.












The mystery is solved, however, when Richard turns up ten minutes later, just in time to leap onto the coach, lucky piece of crap. If that were me, I’d never have made it. He treats us to the tale of how there was a mild disaster when his Dad woke up with a nasty (good old) summer cold and he had to dash out for medicine. A pretty boring story. My invention was so much better. But then, isn’t everything left to the imagination?




















What with all the training, it’s a while before I realize Summer hasn’t been visiting. I mean, it could be anything. She could be ill. She could be busy. Or maybe she’s finally thought it might be wrong to hang out with a Rebel boy.


















Whatever it is, it’s unusual. We kind of had an informal arrangement. She visits a couple of nights every week, we talk about what’s going on for both sides, about Training or school or detentions, and I always provide the marshmallows. Summer brings the drinks mostly, sometimes she can sneak a snack. But she’s a bit apprehensive of her ‘cook’ I think. Joanne. In case she’s caught out and vamperised. She’s such a freak.















But while there are still dart boards to hit and guns to position, I’m happily distracted. Still, a childish part of me wants to tell her about the new stuff I’ve learnt. I know she’d be amazed. I mean, my Swiss army knife stunned her. If she found out about the real stuff I’m doing, she’d probably faint. And OK, a pathetic part of me wants to impress her, a little. I don’t know why. Maybe because she’s so innocent to the ways of the Rebels.



Well, whatever the reason, it doesn’t matter because she still hasn’t visited. If she has decided to write me off, I wish she’d tell me. I hate being left dangling. Surely she could just climb through her bedroom wall or whatever and drop in for one conversation?





Well, apparently it’s too much effort.


























But something niggles at the back of my mind. Something that tells me this isn’t Summer. This isn’t what she would do. So then, something must have happened to her.




















But what?





































Well, it could be anything. I don’t think, for example, that her parents would be very happy if they found out about me, whoever they are. Or maybe it’s nothing to do with me or the Rebels.


































“Concentrate, Turner,” Soldier Grey says.






























“Huh?” I realize I’m standing with my dart, eyes glazed over. “Oh. Right.” I throw it a little dazedly, but it still hits somewhere near the middle.




















By the third week, I decide to do something. Maybe leave a note in the tunnel. As far as I know, there’s been no problems where Summer lives, so is she in some sort of trouble? It annoys me to be so unfocused when I have skills to master, times to beat. How can I train when my mind’s always elsewhere?





























Jeez, I wonder what my friends would say if they found out the real reason for my preoccupation. They’d probably ditch me. Oh well. All’s fair in secrets and war, I suppose. Or something like that.











































When I get back home, I find Dad and Marco outside on the old log, making a fire. The other rebels aren’t there, though, which is good. It means I might actually be able to join in on the conversation.




















































































































“Hi,” I say a little gloomily, but I don’t think they notice. “What’re you doing?”


































































“Nothing much,” Dad says. “Having a few beers. And no you can’t have one,” he adds as he sees my hopeful face.









































“Why not?” I say. I half-glance at Marco as I speak, hoping he’ll back me up.











“Sorry, kid,” he says, grinning. “You’re stuck on the lemonade for now.”


















Annoyed, I go inside. I think I know what’s behind this. Mum probably threatened to divorce Dad unless he stopped letting me have a few beers on the side. It’s not like I’m chugging it down every night. Just once in a while. What’s wrong that? I’m not a child.











































In my bedroom, I scribble a quick note, and leave it at the end of the tunnel. That way, if she’s comes visiting and I’m out, she’ll know to wait.






























Then I settle down on my mattress and dream of beer and marshmallows all night long.

“Right, today is an important day,” Mother says, smoothing out a crease in my jumper. “So play nice, OK?”



































“No way!” I say indignantly. “Those psychos left bruises!”






















“Don’t be so melodramatic,” Mother says, which is about the most hypocritical thing I have ever heard. “You were being hysterical, and they simply removed you –”












“They chucked me out!” I say as she studies my hair to make sure each strand is perfectly in place. Apparently, she thinks if I look young enough, the head teacher won’t rant so much, and I won’t get angry. That way I’ll be pleasant enough to be granted a seat back in class. Then happy days for everyone. Yeah right. I don’t actually want to go back there, but they wouldn’t dare kick me out. Unless they want a bullet in the head.








“You weren’t ‘chucked out’, sweetie,” Mother says reassuringly. The phrase mingles oddly with her disapprovingly posh voice.


























“I was,” I say. “For three weeks. And grounded. Don’t you think that’s just the tiniest bit extreme for one shout-out in another of their stupid assemblies?”
















“What made you say it?” Mother says, tucking my blouse in.















“I don’t know,” I say honestly. “He just annoyed me. I don’t seriously have to pretend to be sorry, do I?”

















































“Yes,” she says sternly. “You do. Don’t you want an education, darling?”


















“Yeah,” I say. But I want to protest more, I add silently in my head.


















“Then deal with it and apologize,” she says. She steps back to examine me. “There! Perfect. If he’s not singing your praises by the end of the morning, then my name isn’t Maggie Spear.”






































I just sigh. The school is being absolutely ridiculous. I mean, it was like I had done something criminal. One minute I was standing there voicing my opinions, and the next, I was being escorted out, kicking and screaming. Well, not kicking, but I shouted a lot of things. Quite rude things. OK, so I might have even uttered a taboo swearword, but they were throwing me out! Literally, they threw me out of the hall. And then he excluded me. The bastard.

















































But, for my Mother’s sake, I pretend to be happy with the plan. I owe her for not being grounded for a century, to be honest. Though I didn’t really get the point of the going-out-ban when I couldn’t go to school and see my friends anyway. Where would I go? To the bombed square? To chat nail varnish with Rose’s cat? Hello, there’s there isn’t anywhere I can sneak off too. But the bad thing was, I had to have Frank take me everywhere, which meant I couldn’t risk breaking into father’s office again. I hope Logan understands when I tell him. Only, I can’t explain about the General part. Just about the exclusion and being grounded and assembly and stuff. He wouldn’t question that, surely?






































I feel really bad, actually. We always have these days to meet up, and because I couldn’t get a lid on my emotions, I haven’t been able to visit. I’m actually missing that annoyingly dirty room quite a lot.

























I have a sudden thought. He’ll probably be living in squalor by now, without me to criticise his lack of cleanliness. Once he said to me the only reason he bothers fixing his bed (or mattress) is to get me off his case. Doesn’t he want to be clean? Honestly. I could scratch out the grime with my bare hands. And I will one day. Maybe I should bring soap the next time I can visit? (Hopefully today, after school).
















But right now, I have bigger things to face. Like pretending to grovel to my head teacher.








Seth has already left for school, since my ‘meeting’ is at ten o’clock. Probably so the other kids are safe from my dangerous company. Obviously, I’m too crazy to be allowed near people just yet.






























My twin was not amused when he found out I had been excluded. Sometimes it feels like I have two fathers. Speaking of father, he was pretty pissed off. Well, he yelled a lot and told me to get to my room. I was just glad to be spoken to, to be honest, so I quite enjoyed his rage. It didn’t last very long, though; he’s like a bottled-up and very murderous mouse; a brilliant fury once let out, but short-lived. He’s another hypocrite. So I interrupted a stupid speech? He bombed kids. I so wanted to say it, but to be honest, I don’t fancy spending the remainder of my days in a padded cell. And they have plenty of those for people who don’t fall in line. People like me.


















I have humiliated my father, undermined the Government idea of how to live, and like Tristan said, that looks bad. We are supposed to be all about rules, all about civilisation…and I, the General’s daughter, am starting to act like a Rebel.














And you know what? For the first time in my life, I feel free. And now I’ve had a taste of what life could be like if you aren’t followed everywhere, interrogated with your every step, I am starting to like it. Too much. In a way that scares me. Makes me feel like I really haven’t known myself after all. I mean, I always thought I knew who I was. Pretty well, actually. Only now I am starting to question everything.





















Starting to wonder if I was maybe born on the wrong side of the war.
















When I get to school, it is empty. All the students are in lessons, and no one else gets in trouble, anyway. How ironic I am the sole pupil excluded. My whole life is one big illusion.














I knock on the door. Mr Brown, the head, makes me wait five minutes. Then, in a calm and clear voice, he says: “Come in.”























I skip in as though I don’t have a care in the world. The head teacher is sitting in a grand black chair, while I am left an ugly thing about ten times smaller. I suppose I should be intimidated at this stage, but it’s all I can do not to laugh.









































“Miss Spear,” he says in a severe voice. “You have violated not only school rules, but state laws. What we believe in. Our system. You have flaunted your distaste for our great war in a selfish, childish manner. You have risked damaging our public image. But you only thought of yourself, and your tireless rants. What have you got to say?”
























This is where my apology comes in. I can see that. I just can’t quite do it. It would be a lie, like everything else right now. I half want to stand up and give a speech on stopping all this nonsense and letting us have freedom of speech. But I know that would be the opposite of helpful right now.





























So maybe it’s time for me to play dumb.






























“I was just expressing my opinion, sir,” I say brightly. “I didn’t mean to upset anyone…or go against our, er, beliefs. I’ve been raised on this, Mr Brown, so it’s all so casual with me. I forgot not everyone’s father is the General…and…um…yeah.”













He’s already raising his eyebrows. “And are you sorry?”



















Sorry you’re an ass, I think in my head.























“Oh, yes, sir,” I say with a wicked smile. “Very sorry.”


























“Very well,” he says, waving a hand. “Now, apologies out of the way…I am willing to give you another chance, Miss Spear. But do not let me down.”













He looks at me like he’s just offered me some kind of olive branch. Is this the moment I’m supposed to say ‘thank you’, or is that a little premature?



















“Well, I’ll just be off then,” I say, wondering if it’s a mistake to dismiss myself. “Should I go back to class?”


































“OK,” I say. “Bye.” The door shuts behind me, but not before I’ve heard him say ‘foolish girl.’
































Oh well. OK, so I’ve been slated, but at least the doe-eyed girl act worked. It was getting kind of exhausting pretending I didn’t want to drill his teeth out.
















When I get back home, I find it is empty apart from the usual staff. Frank’s not even here (which is great for me) so I don’t have my usual patrol flanking my every move. Which means only one thing. Back down the rabbit hole.
























I creep up the stairs like a fugitive, sneak into the office, and draw back the painting. I’ve kind of forgotten how the crack looks. Wide and gaping, but at the same time, kind of small. As I’m tunnelling through, I imagine my beefy father trying to squash his bottom along the cramped corners. When I giggle to myself, the sound echoes eerily round the silent hovel.





































As I’m edging nearer, I start to listen out for the sound of Logan opening the little white door. But I can’t hear anything.



























I put my hand out and turn the knob. The door flies open to reveal a dirty, messy, empty bedroom.






























He’s not here.

The past couple of weeks has taken its toll on us Rebels.


























What little food resources we have managed to scavenge have been all but munched away. So that’s how come I end up back in the food kitchen, desperately hoping for a miracle in the form of chicken. Chance would be a fine thing. I seriously don’t know how we’re still going.




































Mum’s face is covered with shiny sweat and deep lines, her usually loose curly hair secured in a topknot that makes her frown. She doesn’t look like the reckless person I used to know.





























I guess a lot of things are changing. And I guess this is what it means to be properly in a war. Before, we were just outcast. Now, we are indirectly in combat.













And our lack of food – well, our lack of everything – is being used as a weapon. And how perfect it is too…I mean, think about it. They don’t have to spend any money (in fact, the little shits save money), they don’t have to do anything but sit around and watch us starve, and this way, it might not even be a bomb that kills us all. It might be hunger.























Hunger. I can already feel my stomach pulling at the thought. But I’ve got to keep going with the soup, or else people who really need it won’t eat. And since my own state of being is pretty painful at the moment, I can’t imagine how it feels to really waste away. Like a pile of rotting bones, defeated and burned. Buried. Dead. I can’t let that happen. That would make me a coward, and I wouldn’t deserve to be on this side. Everything the Government has done has been designed to break us, break the rebellion, but everything we have done is to survive, live free from state control, create a better system for everyone. It’s not like we’d execute any Government citizens like they would do if it was the other way around. We’d offer them a choice. That’s what we don’t get in our current politics. Choice. And I know from Summer it’s even more limited to be the child of an official. Until I met her, I thought they could do what they liked. Now I realize they can’t even do the most normal of things. At least, not without a bodyguard. What kind of life is that?
































I think I’d rather starve.

































I wipe my forehead warily and start on the next lot. It’s gonna be a long afternoon. A long, hot afternoon, too. If it’s already warm outside, then it’s baking in here. I would literally die for an icy cold shower right now. Try as I might, I can’t stop thinking about it. The feel of the cold droplets cooling my burning skin…the relief that would swim in my chest…the calm of just standing there while the water pours into your mouth. I’d give everything right now just for that.































For a second I grip the edge of the tabletop and steady my breathing. Maybe if I get some fresh air outside, delivering the soup personally, I’ll feel less like collapsing. I don’t really care who gets the thanks this time around. I can’t be bothered with pettiness, to be honest.




































So I just ask him.































“Steve,” I say right before I pass him the next bowl. “Can we swap?”


















He stares at me in surprise, either because of my words or the fact I’m actually talking to him.































“What, you want to do the deliveries?” he says, his eyebrows ever so slightly raised.


























“Yeah, if you don’t mind,” I force myself to sound amicable, the better to get outside, get some space to breathe. I rub a spot on my forehead as I talk, the way Mum always does.































“Yeah, alright,” he looks at me sullenly for a moment. “If you don’t mess up the bike.”










“You did that all on your own,” I say. “It’s a piece of crap.”






















As I’m walking away, I swear I catch the faintest grin on my brother’s face.




















Mopping my forehead with my sleeve, I step into the breeze, half-wanting to spread my arms wide and bathe in the new wonder that is oxygen. But I’ve got a job to do.



















Balancing a couple of wrapped bowls of soup in the front basket, I make my way jauntily down the street. I haven’t been on this old thing in ages. It’s actually not that bad to ride on, once you get used to the annoying sound effects. And the laughter of people who see me on this sad approximation of a vehicle. Oh well. It could be worse.












Who am I kidding? I look like an over-grown baby who never learnt how to ride a bike without adult assistance. On the upside, it’s possible receivers of the meal will take pity on me and chuck me a spare few coins, maybe a bar of chocolate. Jeez. I feel like that hungry kid in that chocolate factory book.
























The bike stumbles along like a loose train, until finally I reach destination no.1. Marco and his family.

















































I put the bike down, half-concealed by the big bush outside, and knock. Whoever’s coming to answer the door must be desperate, because they open it straight away. Oh right. It’s Amy. Marco’s little girl. I’ve seen her around.





















“Is it soup?” she says with a lisp in her voice, her eyes very dark and knowing.


























“Afraid so,” I say, offloading a few bowls. “Give this to everyone inside, OK? And tell your Dad I said hi.”


































































I’m about to cycle away when she stops me and gives me a single, very sticky boiled sweet. She’s obviously had it a while, but it looks safe enough. I thank the girl and get back on my bike. Next up, that old lady down the other street. I hope she doesn’t comment on my floppy hair again. ‘It should be straight and trimmed,’ she always says.






Well, tough. I’ll be wavy till the day I die. Which could pretty soon, actually, but oh well. At least I’ll have won the hairstyle war.



































I go to five more homes after this, mostly to people who are strangers. Men and women I’ve only seen in the street. They are all very thin and grateful, which makes me feel kind of bad. Like I should throw in something extra. Only, I’m not exactly stuffed with food myself. So I make do with pea-flavoured soup and how-do-you-dos. They all seem to appreciate the gesture, though, which is a good sign. In worse times, people have started to turn on one another. Dad says it’s very important we all stick together. Says it’s our only defence against the Government. That they have less ties to each other. That they are bonded by power where we are bonded by a mutual need to survive. That once their influence crumbles away, them and their friendships are finished. It’s kind of true. Well, Summer would disagree – but then, she would, wouldn’t she? Not everyone’s as non-judgemental as she is, and I’m willing to bet her so-called friends would turn on her the minute the found out about all she’s done for us, how we’ve slowly become friends. That goes for her stinking rich family, too. She just doesn’t know it yet.




















When I get back to the soup kitchen, I find a new order has been established. Mum and Steve each take turns whipping up the soup, and whoever’s ready delivers to the people outside. I can’t help feeling a little put out. Alright, so I filed for my replacement, but still.







“Give this to the woman who lives at number three, just down that road,” Mum says hurriedly, passing me a bowl.



























“Sure thing,” I say a little sarcastically, but she’s too distracted to notice.













On the way back, I catch sight of Beatrix, walking down the road.

















“After the soup kitchen?” I call cheekily after her.
















































She turns round to glare at me. “Actually, yes,” she says, and I smirk. Right again.










































“So what’ll it be?” I say. “Our finest range of tomato, or…let me see, tomato?”













“Shut up before I push you off that bike,” she says, but she can’t help grinning. “Don’t you have any lentil left?”





































“We’re cleared out,” I say. “Since it’s a pretty popular flavour, you know.”






















Beatrix slows her pace to match the embarrassing speed of the bike. “Stole it off your brother, did you?”







































“Actually, it’s borrowed with permission,” I say. “But thanks for reserving judgement and all.”































“Well, what am I supposed to think?” she says irritably. “You hate Steve.”





















I stay silent, waiting for her to ask. And then she does. Just like everybody else.









“Why do you hate him so much?” she says quietly, kicking a nearby stone to the curb.





















“I think that’s a question you’ll have to ask him,” I say, trying to keep the anger out of my voice.




































“Alright, touchy,” she says. “So, I suppose you liked acting the hero, delivering all this stuff to people.”



































“You know,” I say. “I think I did…”

I can’t stay here forever, can I?



























Only, I keep imagining Logan’s Dad bursting in, gun in hand. OK, so I don’t know what he looks like, but he probably has a really mean, hardened face. He’d shoot me in the head without a second’s thought. So why am I still here?





















Nobody’s back home for ages. I could go through the hole, I suppose…but then, what would I do? The house is practically empty at the moment. I’d be even more bored there.






That is what I think to convince myself to move from this place. Maybe if I just walked around a few streets, in disguise…it’s too late to persuade myself now. I can already feel the excitement whooshing through my veins. The sort I haven’t felt in ages, being stuck at home 24/7 for three weeks. Not even being allowed to go to school, see my friends…



Would it really be such a bad idea for me to see what Logan’s life is really like?










I mean, there’s only so much he can tell me. He knows a lot more about mine. I guess because there’s nothing to do round my place. Here there could be an endless list of possibilities, streets waiting to be explored…
























I’m going. It’s decided. Only…I might have to find some old clothes first. OK, so it’s a bit weird, stealing Logan’s too-long shirt. It’s a nice shirt actually, tartan; red and white, would really bring out his eyes. Hoping he won’t mind, I button it over my own t-shirt, grab on an old pair of army shorts, and decide my squeaky trainers will have to do, because there is no way I am putting my feet into someone else’s sweaty shoes. Saying that, I feel a bit indecent in his old stuff. Well, it is a bit awkward, isn’t it? Taking a boy’s clothes. Am I making a mistake? Should I just go back?


















The trouble is, once I’ve made a decision, it’s usually too late to change my mind.











So that settles it, then. For one hot afternoon, I am a Rebel. How cool!


















I take a spare hair band from my wrist (thank goodness I didn’t have to borrow a disgusting elastic one from the kitchen drawer or something) and tie my hair up on top of my head. I’ll be less noticeable this way.






















There’s something still not right, though. If I were a real Rebel, I wouldn’t be fooled by the sight of me. I don’t know what it is…I just don’t look the part. I guess this is where my acting skills will come in handy. The problem is, I’ve never actually done drama homework.





























But I’m sure I’ll improvise. I can improvise. Can’t I?





















I puzzle over this for a moment, then decide it’s best not to think too much. Taking the hugest of breaths, I smooth down an escaped lock of hair and start out the door, on the lookout for Logan’s parents or the brother he loathes. But no, no one’s here. I wonder where they all are?































As I’m thinking this, I feel a strange ping of anticipation in my stomach, bubbling underneath the surface. It’s been so long since I’ve seen him – but will he hate me for taking his clothes, pretending to one of them? Or will he be glad I’ve come?










Maybe this is a bit weird. I don’t know. I’ve never actually done the whole disguise thing before, believe it or not. And for the record, I don’t make a habit of robbing people of their clothes. I’m just, you know, in danger. It’s not like I’m enjoying stepping into someone else’s castoffs. It’s bloody disgusting, but it’ll have to do. My longing for adventure for the first time in ages is out-ruling my fear of getting caught, and my hope for cleanliness. I’ll just have to stick it out. I can do that. OK, so I’m not used to living it down, but I’m sure I’ll adapt. I mean, how hard can it be? OK, very hard. Shit. I’m never going to get away with this, am I?































Oh well. I’m going. At least if I’m captured, it’ll be something different. A new experience to reflect on.






































Hell. I’m freaked.


































I keep my head down as I walk, trying not to seem too suspicious. As long as I don’t look up, nobody will notice me. And with a bit of luck, I’ll bump into Logan on the way.













I’m wandering along a deserted street when I think I smell something. What is that? It’s a strange mix of aromas, but it’s kind of like…soup! I might be nearly at that kitchen place. Apparently that’s where the Rebels go for meals sometimes. I feel another sense of shame overwhelm me. I should be doing more to help these people, not stuffing my gut in my mansion home. That sounds bad, doesn’t it? Mansion. I wish I lived in a dirty flat.








It seems like Logan wasn’t exaggerating. It’s like a wasteland here. I mean, there’s streets and cars and buildings, but they’re all pretty knackered-looking. Sort of bashed in. Like the whole town could fall apart if you sneezed. I wonder how they can cope in conditions like these. The heat’s no help. I don’t think they’ve actually heard of air conditioning here. Poor things.































Now I can see everything, I think it’s no wonder they’re rebelling. I still agree there are better ways to sort things out…but at the same time, I can’t really blame them, can I?











I know I’m right to be on my guard, though. I mean, if I was one of them, and I found out the General’s daughter was here – well, I’d kidnap me myself. So it’s best I’m very careful. Maybe I should make up a name, start handing out soup? Yes, I’ll start there. And then maybe I’ll find Logan, and he can introduce me to everyone. As a friend from a distant town. I’m sure he’ll think of something. He’s quick-witted like that, I can tell.







From what he’s told me, he works directly in the kitchen with his Mum, while his brother of sorts does the deliveries. So he should be in there…























I knock on the white pass-through window. Someone shouts out Logan’s name, which is odd, because he should be in there…


























Something’s opening the little compartment. OK, stay calm, Summer…















For just a second, I think it is Logan. Then I blink and realize exactly who I am staring at. The boy has dark brown hair slicked far neater than my friend, and sharp blue eyes instead of warm cinnamon brown. This must be Steve. I’m not quite sure how I should react to him, but I don’t think I should write him off just yet. I mean, Logan always sounds pretty biased when he talks about his twin. I try to think about having Seth as an enemy. Us hating each other’s guts. I just can’t see it. I mean, he annoys me by being him, I annoy Seth by getting in trouble. But deep down, he’s my brother and I love him. So what’s gone wrong between these two? Maybe I could even find out…
























“Oh, hi,” he says. He looks a little pink, maybe from the heat eluding from the kitchen. “Do you want some soup?”































“Actually, I came here as a volunteer,” I say boldly. Well, Logan has to come back some time, and this is the safest place to be. Hidden in there.




















“Who are you?” he says, squinting at me a little suspiciously, or so I imagine, maybe in my paranoia. “I haven’t seen you around.”


























“I’m…Maggie,” I say. “From just outside town. My Aunt lives here. So, anyway, can I help or not?” Good cover-up, Summer, I think.


































“Sure,” he says, giving me a half-smile. “Come on in.” He yells something to his mother, who says ‘it’s fine’ back. I guess I’m cleared, then. That was surprisingly easy.








I step into the warm glow of the kitchen, and yep, Logan didn’t exaggerate this, either. It’s truly like a sauna in here. How do they breathe? He must have a pretty kind Mum, to slave in here all these hours for her neighbours. At last someone who doesn’t only think about murdering my friends from the other side! You see, this is what we need. Unity. Hard work. Being there for each other. I feel like dancing on the table and singing ‘Over the Rainbow’ or something. Seriously. I’m inspired.



















“Just mix this,” Steve says, passing me a long-abused bowl. I take it readily, and start gently sloping the mixture together. “No, do it harder than that,” he says. He sighs. “Like this – see!” he beats the soup around like a washing machine. I try hard to copy his movements, but apparently, I just haven’t got the (wo) man power today. Maybe the weather’s just exhausted me.





























































































































“So…tell…me,” I say slyly. “Does anyone else volunteer in here?”











“Well, there’s my…brother…Logan,” he says in an off-hand sort of voice.










“When he’s coming back?” I say, trying not to look too interested.













“Don’t know,” the boy says. “We just sent him off on another five deliveries.”








Damn.

Right, delivery number six.
































I wheel round to find Mrs Something who lives on Jones’ street. She’s the last one of the day, so I put my last spurt of energy into driving towards this customer. Well, not exactly a customer. I don’t know what you’d call it. All the soup I’m giving out is to people who live in houses of a sort, so it’s not a homeless handout. More…casual charity. I’m careful not to say that aloud, though; we have a certain amount of pride. We just help each other out when the time calls. No big deal. You never know when it could be you lying in the gutter, drool mixed with blood. And one day even I may be glad to see tomato soup.




Who knows? In this craphole of a town, anything can happen.















“Well, thank you dear,” Mrs Something says, reaching out and pinching my cheek. Her fingers are surprisingly sharp against my skin. “You know, you remind me of my grandson,” she stands back to observe me while I hover on the doorstep, meal still in hand. I can still feel the pink mark where her nails found my face.















“Er…lovely,” I say brightly. “So, er, do you want the - ?”






















“He’s a handsome boy, too,” she muses, considering me. “And is this soup you’ve brought me? How wonderful! Bless you, my boy,” those hands of hers reach out and grab the plastic-covered bowl. I recoil automatically at the size of those nails, but she doesn’t notice.






































“Well…I’ll just be off, then,” I say, starting to edge away.






















“Do come again soon!” she calls after me as I all but run back to my now soup-less bike.





She’s barmy. Completely nuts. If I ever find out who her grandson is, I will kill him, because it’s thanks to him I just got assaulted by a seventy-plus woman with witch fingernails. Jeez. You try and do a good flipping deed.






















I cycle round the surrounding streets for a while before returning to the soup kitchen. It’s still reasonably busy, and yep, I can see Mum, giving out handouts. Too tired to do anything else, I sit on the log beside Beatrix, who has been joined by Richard since I last saw her.













































“Hi,” I say wearily, squeezing my eyes shut for a second.


















“Wow, you look all delivered-out,” Beatrix says, poking me. “What’s wrong? Being a hero starting to seem like a chore?”





























“Shut up, you merciless cow,” I say, opening my eyes reluctantly.














“Saved you some soup,” Richard says cheerfully.





















Not tomato, not tomato, not tomato…




























“Your favourite,” he adds, passing me a tin labelled: tomato soup.























I want to vomit. Right on his stupid, helpful smile. So I get ladled down with orders all afternoon, and all they can spare is the thing I eat day in, day out? Seriously, if I see it one time, I’m gonna crack.
























“Yeah, thanks, mate,” I say, grumbling under my breath. But my insides are fighting me so hard I decide to give in to torture and eat the damn thing.















“By her absence, I’m assuming Isadora had another hair emergency?” I say as my spoon digs for the last drain of orange liquid. It could be my sick, it’s so disgusting.







































“Actually, I think she broke a nail,” Beatrix says, and I quietly laugh. I thought girls only did that in the movies.


































Still, I can’t help thinking of Mrs Something, with her sweet old lady smile and her pincers, and I struggle to repress a shudder.


































“Listen, I’m going to hand my bowl in,” I say. “Give Steve something to wash up.”









“You do that,” Beatrix says, her toffee brown eyes reflecting oddly in the bright orange fire.

























































“See ya,” I say to Richard, and saunter over to the little white kitchen. I knock on the small, badly scratched door and wait. (It actually got damaged when a homeless man got desperate and tried to break in and get soup in the night; he was caught and released without charge).




















































Mum opens the door, her eyes looking about as tired as I feel. Seems like everyone’s been rushed off their feet today.
































“Be nice to the guest,” Mum says, suppressing a yawn with difficulty. “She – came – to – excuse me – volunteer in the kitchen. She’s been so helpful, handing out soup to the queue outside.”
























































“Who?” I say bemusedly, scratching my head.






















“The girl inside, dear, you’ll see her,” Mum says. “I was just about to knock off for the evening, anyway. Have you eaten? Because there’s some leftover tomato - ”









“Yes!” I say frantically. “I have eaten…in fact, I’m full. Stuffed. Couldn’t possibly swallow another spoonful.”































Evidently, Mum’s too wiped out to question my strange behaviour. She ruffles my hair and walks off into the light summer breeze, her shoulders hunched over. I frown a little. She’s been working way too hard recently, and nobody seems to be noticing. I make a mental note to help more in future. There’s nothing like good old mum to make you feel your shame.




































I step into the kitchen and almost kneel over in shock.
















By the tabletop, whipping up some sweet-smelling soup, is my brother and the ‘guest’.





She’s Summer.







































How the - ?




































I must be hallucinating, no doubt brought on by all that cycling. I must be, because this can’t be happening. She can’t be here. She’s not allowed here. Is she an idiot?









That’s not all. She’s talking – no, laughing – with my loathsome twin. For some reason this bothers me. I mean, Summer’s meant to be my friend. She knows how much I hate him. And yet here she stands, sniggering with my dick of a brother.












“Who’s that?” I say. I don’t have to feign my disbelief.


















Summer gives a start when she sees me, her green eyes startling against her skin, pink from spending the afternoon by the oven.



























“Maggie,” Steve says almost smugly. “She heard we’re struggling, came to help out. She’s from just outside town. Her Aunt lives here. Who’d you say she is?”















“I didn’t,” Summer says shortly. “She prefers to keep a low profile.”














Oh, I bet she does. ’cos she doesn’t exist!



























“Right,” I say. I can’t stop the accusation of betrayal in my eyes. After everything I told her, she still decides to make friends with a creep like him?

















You see, this is what trust does. It lets you down.





















“I’ll just give this soup to the woman outside,” Summer says, her cheeks burning. Suddenly, she won’t look at me.
































Without sparing another glance at my brother, I walk out after her. I wait for her to give the soup to the person outside, then I hiss at her to come round the back, where we can’t be overheard.






























“What are you doing?” I say angrily. “Do you actually want to be killed?”










“No,” Summer says haughtily. “And I’d appreciate it if you kept your voice down, people might notice.”




























“What did you think you were doing?” I say in a furious whisper. “Do you know what would have happened to us both if – ”






















“I wanted to help,” she says, glaring at me. “And since you weren’t there, I thought, well, why not?”











































“You can’t just barge in here, pretending to be some random niece,” I say. I haven’t worked up to the part that’s irritating me most yet, but somehow, I can’t get the words out.




































“Quit the wounded act,” Summer says, fanning herself with a tray she stole from the kitchen. “I came here looking for you, actually. But you weren’t there.”











“Well, I swapped with the prat for the day,” I say in a testy voice.















“I don’t know what your problem with that boy is,” she says, painful honesty creeping into her tone. “But don’t take it out on me, alright? All I’ve been trying to do is make sure everyone gets fed,” her stern expression suddenly falters. “So sorry if I upset you. But the truth is, Logan, I think Steve’s a perfectly nice boy once you get to know him, whatever your differences. And I’m sorry if handing out soup all afternoon is your equivalent of boiling rabbits on a meat farm!”



























“What the hell are you on about?” I say, and abruptly, we are both laughing.














“I don’t know,” Summer says, wiping tears of laughter from her eyes. “I get a bit…passionate when I’m defending myself.”





















Crap. Now’s when I should apologize, I suppose. I open my mouth, ready to say sorry, but she gets there first.





























“Don’t bother,” she says. “I get why you’re upset.”


















“Didn’t give me an excuse to me an idiot, though,” I say, grinning. “That’s just me. So…are you free this Saturday?”





























“Yeah,” she says almost suspiciously. “Why?”






























“Well, my Dad’s bailed on the fishing trip…so I figured you’d be the only one desperate enough to come.”
































“Hey!” Summer says, pushing me. “And I’d like to see the forest, actually.” Her eyes are alight with what I can only imagine is fantasy.



























“Only, this time, try not to be seen,” I say. Then I see something. It can’t be coincidence, surely - ? “Summer,” I add slowly. “are those my clothes?”


















She blushes so deeply her skin turns magenta pink. “Yes,” she admits. “But I had to be undercover! Anyway,” she tugs the top down defensively. “I like this shirt.”












“You know, stealing’s a crime,” I say, smirking at her discomfort. “I might have to report you.”






























“You are such a jerk, Logan Turner,” she says rolling her eyes.


















Well, I have to agree with her there. I really am the world’s biggest idiot sometimes.








What a tool.

On Saturday morning, I dress in plain clothes. A white, long-sleeved jumper, and light blue jeans. Then I tie my hair back in a plait. There. I could be anybody, strolling down any street. I am neither Government or Rebel; I am just a girl, and that’s the way I like it.


















Luckily, Tristan has called on my brother for another football game, so that’s him out of the way. Mother’s out on a ‘formal engagement’, and Father is in his town office, holding some meeting. Once again, I am conveniently alone in the house. When Seth asks why I’m not going out with Rose, I am grateful for a real excuse, because she’s at a wedding, and I told her to give Amanda her plus one. That gives me the perfect reason to be innocently studying at home. Even Frank gets bored trailing me after a while, leaving me to dwell over history homework in my bedroom. Of course, it’s all a ruse. And if he should discover I’m missing at any point in the day, I’ll pretend I was in an area of the house no one knows about. It’s extensively big, to the point of ridiculousness, and so he can’t doubt the fact I found a new hiding place. Technically, I did. I found another world.







Just think, if I hadn’t been listening in on father that day…if I hadn’t got curious…





I don’t regret it, though. Whatever the dangers (especially the ones Logan reminded me of earlier in the week), there are some things you just can’t help being glad about. Because really, my life would have been so shallow, so empty, without this. I would have just been another stupid girl, gossiping about a party no one really cares about. Or I’d be like Rose and Amanda, going to weddings and waiting to be a bride one day.









I don’t want that to be me. And so yes, the risk of being exposed by either gun-clad Government official or Rebel is worth it. Every time.
























Still, what Logan said before, about getting killed…well, it kind of stuck with me. Before I’ve been able to ignore it, or even imagine it’s all a big, stupid joke. I don’t know if he was more angry I chanced getting us both shot or the fact I made slow progress with his mysterious brother.






























Why does he hate him so? I don’t get it. Neither will say a thing about why they despise each other, and I’m not foolish enough to ask. But I don’t think either are bad people, really. I think something major must have happened between them, quite some time ago, and the damage was never repaired. It must have been something huge to make two people wish they weren’t twins.

























I again thank my lucky stars I have Seth. Idiotic though he is, I wouldn’t swap him for anyone. Not even someone who would do my homework for me. Well, that is pretty tempting, to be honest. But the point is, I can stand to be around my brother, and they can’t. I want to know why.



























But like I said, I won’t ask Logan outright. I’m not completely dim-witted. But if I can get him to open up a bit more, he might talk on his own. He can be awfully secretive at times, and OK, I know I’m hiding something pretty big too, but I’ve told him everything else. Everything about me. Is it so wrong to want to be judged on who I am, not who my father is?

































Well, heritage aside, I don’t think Logan’s a big one for heart-to-hearts. The most passionate I’ve seen him get is when he’s either pissed off with me, the Government, or his twin brother. I mean, don’t get me wrong – he’s great. I just wish he felt like he could talk to me the way I feel relaxed around him. I’ve told him some things I haven’t even told Seth, Rose, any of my friends. How frustrated I am. How I yearn for some freedom. How I feel like I’ve been in this life, but I haven’t really lived. Not yet. At least, not until I entered his world, and saw what life is like beyond the iron gates. It’s changed me, and I don’t know if there’s any going back. I hope not. Of course, I am occasionally reminded of our differences, like when he teases me slightly about my accent, or when I despair about the state of his bedroom. The sparse bronze and silver coins in his ripped wallet, and the gleaming array of littered gold in my beaded pink purse. We’re different, but I sometimes feel like he’s the only one who really understands how I feel. It’s weird, because we shouldn’t get each other at all, but I feel like I know him, too. More. I want to know about him.


































I just think he might get bored of me. OK, so it might be entertaining sometimes, maybe even funny, to have a friend from the other side. But what am I really, when it comes down to it? Just some overly-curious girl with a crazy passion for helping people. Oh, and now I’m a psycho stalker too, because I stole his clothes and pretended to be part of his life, for one afternoon. Even with all the misery there, I felt kind of at home. Seeing the grateful faces. The relaxed chatter and the casual friendships. The lack of armed soldiers round every block, watching to see if you blink. It’s the most content I’ve ever felt in any place, in that kitchen handing out soup, and it’s the strangest thing.





































It makes me wonder about everything. Like if I’ve been living the wrong existence entirely.
































I climb through the familiar, jagged hole, and cover my tracks quickly. I’ll have to hurry up if I want to make it back before dinner (which is ages away really, but still), and Logan said to meet him at ten. I briefly mull over the reason his father ditched their fishing trip. Surely he’s not planning another attack, after the last disastrous time that ended in his people’s hunger?































For the first time in ages, it is Logan who opens the little white door. I tumble through, dusting down my jeans. He stares at me like he’s never seen me in anything this normal before, except perhaps when I wore his clothes. I flush a little at the memory of when he noticed. The last time we met up.













































“Where did you get those?” he says, glancing at my deliberately scruffy trainers.











“At a car boot sale,” I say cheerfully, turning them this way and that. “Aren’t they fabulous?”



































“I’d say more vintage,” he says, struggling to hide his laugh.















“I’ve got a confession to make,” I say as we start to sneak out the back door. “I don’t know how to fish.”



































Logan gives me a quirky grin. “I’ll teach you,” he says.























I am suddenly reminded of when we first met, when I wanted Training lessons off a Rebel boy I had just stumbled upon. A Rebel boy who clearly did not trust me. I must have been mad.






























We disappear into the little forest. The air is very quiet and lulling, only the faint squawk of birds being heard in the distance. The moss on the trees is a healthy light green, the grass dark and enigmatic. It looks like a wilderness, but a cool one. I get why he likes it so much.



































We keep a companionable silence as we tramp through the leaves to the lake. There’s something so utterly silent about this place it would be a crime to say a word. I can hear every beat of my heart; soft and slow in my chest. Feel every crunch of my trainer hitting broken twigs. I feel like if either of us makes a noise, the whole orb will shatter.





When we reach the lake, we both catch each other’s eye and giggle. The sound fills the empty forest with sudden, booming life, our chuckles echoing off the stubbornly still trees.














































I’ve never really understood fishing, but even I can see the lake is beautiful. Sparkling and shimmering splashes of light blue and clear white, it seems like a vast mystery. Like there are secrets lurking within its unfathomable depths.




















I watch Logan put his fish line in the water with a practised arm, his face folding into a natural expression. Then we wait for the scaly little creatures to take the bait. I soon realize actually getting the meal isn’t a priority. I think he just likes to sit here listening to the powerful calm of nature, the gentle splashes of the hook on water.












“I don’t know what it is about this place,” I say in a low, whisper of a voice. “But it seems almost…magical.” I wait for him laugh at me.






















“It is magic, Summer,” he says with a twinkle in his eye. “Didn’t you know?”

We catch three fish in total, which is about a fifth of what I usually get with Dad, but to be honest, Summer looked so excited by the second catch it seemed unsporting to mention this. Still, maybe we should do something else next time. Like collect berries. That sounds safe.




































“I can’t believe I caught three on my first fishing trip!” she says.













Now would really not be the moment to mention the fact I caught the fish, or anyway, on my first go, I made a total of eight. That would just be mean.
















“Guess I’m just a good teacher,” I say, and she whacks me with the hook. “Still…I’ve had better students. Less violent ones.”

























“Shut up, you idiot,” Summer says, tossing her long plait in my face. What did I say? Violent.





































“You do realize I could have you arrested like that?” I say, clicking my fingers.










“You wouldn’t dare,” she says, her chin in the air.


























“We’ll see,” I mutter under my breath.
















































“It’s so hot today,” Summer says, blowing a hair off her face. “Can we jump in?” she nods towards the lake.





































“And risk getting bitten by the little fishes?” I say.





















She rolls her eyes. “I’ll go in by myself.”

























“First one in gets a gold coin!” I say, and soon we are both running. I take a leap in the air and crash into the cool murky water, instantly showered by drops of water.












“I win!” I say as Summer lands gracefully behind me, only making a few ripples. “And that was pathetic, by the way. Do you actually know how to dive?”
















“I don’t see why everyone has to dump themselves in,” she says with a sniff. “What’s wrong with having a bit of dignity?”































“I’ll tell you what’s wrong with it,” I say. “It’s boring.” I give a fake yawn, and pretend to close my eyes.
































“You’re boring,” Summer says, taking advantage of my sleepy demeanour and splashing me in the face.































“Idiot!” I drag my feet after her in the water, and soon both our faces are dripping and pink.
































“It’s so much colder in here,” Summer says, letting out a sigh of relief.













“Wait till you get back out,” I say with a grin.























“Do you like spoiling everything?” she says ruefully. “Or can’t you help it?”















“Can’t help it,” I say promptly.


























































She shoves me again, earning me another splash in the water.
















“Next time,” I say as we’re trudging out of the lake. “I’m bringing someone less mental.”





“Good luck with that,” she says airily, squeezing droplets out of her hair. “But I doubt anyone else will have you, anyway.”


























“You rude little - !” I grab the fishing bag and we chase each other through the darkened woods, claiming whoever gets back to my place first can have a silver coin. Since she started first, I’m at a definite disadvantage, but after all this recent training, exertions are second nature to me. Still, I’m insultingly surprised by how close the race comes before I take first place. But what a profit I’ve made today! One gold and one silver. I love robbing my friends. Whenever I make a bet with Richard, I win every time. Guess I just have a lucky streak. Or something. Richard always says he lets me because he feels sorry for me, but he’s just bitter. Very, very bitter.





















We trample through the forest in our too-human shoes, making casual conversation and occasionally collecting berries, or stones in Summer’s case. Apparently she wants a ‘souvenir’. I’m beginning to doubt her sanity; but then, that has always been in question. Ever since she barged into my bedroom like she owned the place. I can’t believe I didn’t drop her in it then.

























How times have changed.

















































































“So…about you and Steve,” Summer says hesitantly. “What…happened there?”










It’s like a little fist is punching in my chest, choking my airways. How can I ever tell her what I did? How it feels to have ruined everything?
















I wish things had ended differently. I wish it had been me. Why does everything always have to be my fault?
























“Nothing much,” I say with a shrug. I can already feel my face slipping into a frown. “We’ve just never got on. He’s a smarmy git and I don’t have time for wasters.”









“You have time for me,” Summer says with a sly grin. But even with the smile, she looks kind of disappointed. Like I’ve let her down.























I’ve seen that expression all too many times. Mostly directed at me. Everyone looks like that in the end. Weary. Frustrated. Lightly bewildered. I don’t even know why it surprises me anymore. It’ll be the same forever. That’s just me. That’s just my life. And at some point, Summer is going to realize that. Then she’ll distance herself like everybody else.






“I hate fishing,” Summer says. “But I like being here.”























“Really?” I say incredulously. “You must’ve scared away every living thing in existence.”












She pushes me. “There you go again, big mouth,” she says, flicking a hair away from her face. “Don’t you have a mute button?”






















“Nope,” I say. “I destroyed it years ago, when I figured being annoying was a powerful weapon.”



































Summer starts to speculate over whether there’s a way of recreating the device, while I tell her it’s hopeless.



























“Nothing’s hopeless,” she says, a dreamy look in her eye. Wow, she must be desperate to get me to shut up. Well, not gonna happen this side of the century.






























As we near the edge of the forest, we each wonder if we should keep up the ‘Maggie’ disguise if we see anyone who hasn’t met her yet, like Dad or Marco. I really hope they’re still out, because Rebel leaders happen to be sharper than starving people who barely look at your faces, only your bowls. Well, apart from Mrs Something. I think something dark in my head, and decide not to say this aloud.






















I’m just about to tell Summer she has dirt in her hair (she doesn’t), when she lets out a shriek, hand clamped over her mouth. I don’t understand what her problem is until I see the fire.







































Orange, hot, and blazing, spreading over the nearby huts. The screams start to register in my ears, and I understand what is going on. We are under attack. And we have to get out of here.






























Shit. Where’s a place? What’s safe? Do we run back to the lake, or help the survivors? Or is it still going on? Have they just burned our town, or are they bombing us?






















“Bloody hell, Logan, where are we going to go?” Summer says, real panic flashing in her eyes. She looks like she’s about to have a panic attack.
























I just shake my head wordlessly. For once, I really don’t know.

















“Let’s just see what’s happening,” I say in an empty voice. “You can stay here – ”











“No,” she says firmly, a hard look in her eye. “I’m coming too.”



















Together, we skip over the blackened rubble, the charred remains of someone’s home. All I can think is: who’s still alive?

















































Dimly, something clicks in my mind. If we were still under attack, there would be a stampede of shock and fear, worry and anger. But in the air, all I can feel is terrible, dead silence. I wonder if there are bodies under the mess where people once lived. Surely there would be. But what if someone’s still alive, buried under the junk?






















“Should we check?” Summer says, biting her lip. I can still see the wide dread in her eyes. Maybe she’s thinking about the shopping square. The little girls. How she almost died. How we almost died now. How we only just escaped the bombing. How her own side nearly killed her.




























“Yeah, alright,” I say quietly.



























We pick our way through the stones and broken objects, calling out. No one answers. No one’s here. Nothing but the dead.





























“Right,” Summer says. “She takes a deep breath in. “Should we – should we go in there?”































She’s pointing towards the ancient old shack, abandoned years ago. It’s the ideal place to take cover, so we step over the bodies and the burnt home, and steal inside. It’s dirty and messy, but compared to outside, it’s a luxury. I’m dying to go out and find everyone, but Summer’s got to go back first. Though if she returns in that state, I don’t know what her parents will say.


























There’s some logs lying at the bottom of the sleepy chimney, so I make a tiny fire. I can tell we are both imagining this bright glow, magnified a thousand times. Cutting through flesh and bone and desperate cries.






































And all of a sudden, feeling returns in my veins. Fury. Angrier than any bomb, stowed in my chest. They are not going to get away with this. Not ever again.





















They are going to pay, every last one of them.






















“You alright?” I say to Summer, who has turned a delicate shade of grey.











“Never better,” she says with a smile.
























“We should do this again sometime,” I say cheerfully.

















“Minus the fire,” Summer says.































Obviously.

I shiver as we walk through the empty streets and to Logan’s home. It’s a bright, sunny afternoon, but goose pimples the size of peas rise on my arms.














An overwhelming feeling of guilt is pressing down on my chest. My father – my father must’ve done this. Again, he is a murderer.
























I am related to a monster.































“I’m sure it’s stopped now,” Logan says in a forcefully optimistic voice.










“Then where’s all the people?” I kick a log out of my way in disgust. “Why’s it so empty?”




“I expect people will be at the old hall, taking shelter,” he says confidently, looking ahead, into the distant road.






























“The…the old hall?” I say.




























“It’s huge; big enough to hold the whole town,” Logan says with a comforting smile. “Everybody’ll be there.” He looks like he wants to say more, but then he turns away again. His eyes finding the faraway huts.























“But…you must be so worried!” I say. “Your parents…your – your brother…your friends…your neighbours. Logan – I think you should go and find them. You shouldn’t stay here with me. I’m fine. I can make it back on my own.”
















“No way,” he says firmly. “You might get lost.”

























































“And people might be hurt!” I say. “Seriously, no one’s going to die because I was too scared to go back by myself. It’s all my own fault, anyway.”




























“No it isn’t,” Logan says. “It’s mine. I should’ve have been so stupid – ”











“No, you’re being stupid now!” I say, my voice rising over his. I’m itching to say it. Itching to say who I am. Why it is my fault. Not his. How my father could have killed us both.





What would he have done, then? My father? If I had died, would he have even cared? Or would he see this as the ultimate punishment for my betrayal; the ultimate way to show the world how they deal with traitors, even with his own daughter?










What would he have done? What would Mother and Seth have said? Would he consider it necessary all Rebel sympathisers be slaughtered?



















I want to ask Logan. I want to ask him what he thinks. But I can’t. Because sometimes, the truth isn’t worth telling. And I really don’t think he needs my nightmares.




















“I’ll just take you back home, then I’ll go, I promise,” he says. A slightly resentful tone creeps into his voice. “It’s not like I don’t give a shit, you know.” He directs his gaze at “I know,” I say. “That wasn’t what I meant. I just didn’t want to get in the way.”










“Fat lot of use I would be, anyway,” Logan mutters.



















“I didn’t mean medically,” I say. “Though any help would be appreciated, I’m sure. I meant…you could maybe talk to people. People injured. While the doctors fix them up. You know, take their mind off things.” I half want to offer myself, but I still have to get back in time, no matter what’s gone on here. I have responsibilities, and I have to act like nothing happened back at my house.














































Logan glances at me, his lashes tilted upwards. “Why do you care?” he says, his face a mixture of curiosity, confusion, and something else I can’t read.












Why do I care?







































I care about a lot of things. I care when people get hurt. Even strangers. Doesn’t everyone?




























Not when the victims are your enemy, a voice tells me.






















And suddenly I see his question in a whole different light. He is asking why I am so unhappy, why I am at least not impassive. Why I am suggesting he abandons me in the rubble to assist those who hate all my side stand for. Why I am even here at all.
























“I don’t know,” I say. I put a hand to my forehead, where I can feel a headache forcing through. “I just do, OK?”










































“OK,” he says.











































We spend the rest of the walk in thoughtful silence, each, I imagine, wondering what the other is thinking. Maybe he’s angry. Angry I’m here when officials where I live burnt homes in this town, reduced some people to living in the dirt, on the still-littered streets. Angry he bothered going fishing with me when he could have been with the people he really cares about. And should care about. Is it wrong of me to stand in his way?












Is it wrong for me to even be here, my feet crunching under the destruction? Am I supposed to be glad for my enemy’s tears?



































“No one’s in,” Logan says in an empty voice once we reach his place. “I can tell.” He sniffs the long-gone fire outside his house, and goes inside, leaving me to follow after him.







































The smell is horrible. Pinched with faint burning and polluted oxygen; steeped in mud that should have been cleaned years ago. How can he live here, especially now? Is it even safe? I doubt there’s an underground basement here. So where do they go when the bombs hit? Surely they wouldn’t be able to reach the ‘old hall’ from here?













I mean, he lives in quite a secluded part, on the other side of the forest. If they came under attack and he happened to be here, he wouldn’t have a very good chance of getting out alive.



























I am thinking frantically of a way to get him to stay out of here tonight. I suppose the hospitals will be full. And maybe the famous hall. And the soup kitchen. What if he and the whole family decide to stay here tonight, together? Is there a way I could get him to hide in the hole, at least until everyone’s sure they won’t strike again?

























Because I know my father. He is ruthlessly determined. He could easily bomb them, lure them into a false sense of security…and then bam. They’re dead.





















What a terrible way to die. Burning in the one place where you’re supposed to be safe.







How has he coped with living in constant fear since he was a little child? How have all these people lived?




























But I already know, faintly, that he will not hide in the hole. He will not abandon everyone else to save himself. He wouldn’t even think of it, and I can’t ask him. It would be like telling him to leave everyone to perish in the flames. He’ll never do that. He’s no coward.












When we reach his room neither of us makes any move to open up the hole. We just stand there, basking in the yellow stream of sunshine outside. The fire must have made the heat unbearable.































“I suppose you should be getting back now,” he says uncomfortably. “Just in case.”








Just in case they burn them all to the ground.























“Are you sure?” I say, though I know he is. “I could always…” I hesitate slightly, wondering if I’m overstepping a very visible line. “I could always stay and help out a little.”



































But he’s already shaking his head. “Trust me, Summer, it won’t help matters if your parents think you’re missing.”




























“Right,” I say. My voice falters a little. “Well…see you, then. Try to stay alive.”










Logan cracks a smile. “I’ll try,” he says seriously, then he opens the little white door. “Your carriage awaits.”































“Bye, idiot,” I say, but he just chuckles and shuts the door after me. I swear I hear him murmur ‘hypocrite’ before I’ve crawled away, knees only protected from the slime by a layer of blue denim.




















































I am officially the world’s worst friend. Here I am, scrambling back to my warm, huge, safe home…while he stays in his darkened bedroom, alone and probably, though he doesn’t admit it, scared. Of what will happen to his family. His friends. Everyone he knows. And himself.










































































































A steel of fear closes around my heart. Does this mean the Rebels will pay us back in a hail of bombs? Like that day at the shopping centre?

















I hastily slow my breathing. That’s not the most cheerful of topics right now, to be honest. Maybe I should think of something else. Like…what? The ill, the injured and the dead I have left behind?






















Logan may not be a coward, but I certainly am. What is wrong with me? My own father did this, and I’m not even helping. I didn’t even attempt to thwart his future plans. No, I sat back like a useless lump and watched the fire rage through the streets. How stupid can one person possibly get?



























I hate this. All of this. A sob bubbles in my throat. How did everything change so dramatically? So horribly? How did I end up on the wrong side of the war; narrowly escaping a burn attack?



































I all but roll out of the hole, and push the ugly painting back in place. The office has been recently cleaned; it smells more lemony than ever. It is a pleasant, calming atmosphere…and yet, I know what is really behind the masking scent. My father’s poison. The fate of the Rebels. Our country’s future.



















Everything.

I’m pacing in my room when Mum walks in.

















“There you are!” there are tears streaked into her long-tired skin. “Don’t go off like that again!” she says. “We didn’t know where the hell you were!” abandoning words, she throws her arms round me. I can almost feel the silent waves of anxiety, disapproval and fear. Shit. I need to get my story straight. Well, at least I’ve got the meat to prove it.






“I went fishing by myself,” I say, holding up the bag. “Then I saw all the fire, so I ran back home. Forgot to put it in the fridge.” I step slightly out of her iron-clad grip, and run a hand through the back of my hair. If I sound unconvincing, she’s too distracted to notice.









“Right…we need to get back…bring some supplies,” she says half to herself, glancing up at me. “Are you coming back to the hospital? I came back here to look for you, to get some resources…”









































I feel sick inside. I think of how worried, how scared, she must’ve have been. How she may have wasted time wondering if I was dead or alive, when she should have been running back to help people who really need it.

























Beneath the shame is a strong urge to do something. Anything. Give the Government hell, from me. Tear their whole f*ing towns apart. They can’t just do things like this - ! I grind my teeth together and go to the kitchen, where Mum is packing bandages, medicine, sloppily topped bottles of water. These things she shoves directly into my old army bag, the one I used to bring to the Training block, before it got bombed. I haven’t used it much since.




























“Is anyone - ?” I say. I know she’ll understand what this means.















“Your father and Steve are fine,” she says, mopping her sweaty brow.















“And Richard? Beatrix? Isadora?” I say, digging my fingers into the wooden table. Splinters, I think, are chipping at the flesh below my nails.

































“All fine, I think,” she says. “I don’t know if they’re being treated for minor burns, but they seemed fairly OK when I passed them.”


































“So who’s dead?” I say quietly.

































“Um, I don’t know the exact count,” Mum says, avoiding my eyes. “Now, should we get going?” her voice is forcefully bright and hurried, like this is all some big stupid adventure.



























Something is wrong. Someone I know must be hurt – maybe even killed; drowned in the pitiless fire.





























Why won’t she tell me?




































“Is it one of Dad’s friends?” I say loudly. “One of the Rebel leaders? Mum?”
















Mum’s face looks carefully deliberated. Her eyes squeeze shut for a moment before she says: “Linda. And Amy.” A tear seeps out of her closed lids.





























Two blows of recognition hit me hard in the stomach. Linda, Mum’s best friend. Marco’s wife. And Amy. His daughter. The little girl who took the soup the other day.




































Something else is smashing me in the chest. Pain. Wrath. Frustration. A burning sliver, calling for revenge. Revenge. Of course. If I could, I would get them right this second. Give them long, tortuous deaths. Make them die in screams and panic and a blaze. Like these people did. Like we almost did.



















I have to get them for this. I have to.





















Before they do it again.
































I’ll have to stop them. Make a plan. Kill them. But how?




















My feet move dully after Mum’s, and together, we cross the empty road and push inside the hospital. If it was full before, then it’s a mass of people now. Some moaning, others still and faintly breathing. But mostly it’s just the air. Dirt-splattered and like rotten milk, leaking into my nostrils. It smells of death. Unclean, painful death. And blood.















“Hey, mate,” I turn my head to see Richard, his leg covered in bandages.











“What happened?” I say. “What’s wrong with it?”
































He rolls his eyes. “It’s taken a nap,” he says. “What d’you thinks wrong with it?”



























I can’t suppress a laugh. “Yeah, alright, let’s both not pretend I’m a medical expert.”

















He pats is leg cheerfully. “Got myself burned,” he says. “But it’s not too bad, the nurse said.” His voice drops to a whisper. “And boy was she fit.”









































This time the laughter is more pronounced. “I bet,” I say. “So, have you managed to scare her away yet, or are you still working up to that part?”









































“Shut up, you un-burned git,” he says. “And actually, I think she feels the same.” He puts a tragic hand to his heart. “But, unfortunately, age separately our love.”



























I laugh so hard a nearby doctor shoots me a black glare. What? I would’ve thought people round here could do with a laugh. Honestly. What does he want, all of us groaning in pain so he can fix people up and go to bed satisfied with his work? Doctor Gloom, I’ll call him.







































Richard jerks his thumb in the direction of the man. “What’s his problem?” he says.














“Cool,” he says. “Hey, you haven’t seen Isadora, have you? Beatrix went past ages ago, but she had to go home.”






































“No,” I say, frowning. “You don’t think - ?”






















“Nah,” he says scornfully. “She’ll be straightening her hair somewhere.”























“Even though there was a fire,” I say with a smirk. “Tactless, as usual.”













An icy finger prods at my chest, the same curl that has followed me since I was eight. That’s the first time I remember seeing someone die. But not Isadora. She’s so…I dunno, alive. There’s no way she’d shut up long enough to be dead. I should go look for her. She’s probably worried about Rich and me.























“So Beatrix hasn’t seen her?” I say, disappointed. “But she knows I’m still talking, right?”










“I dunno,” Richard says. “Maybe you should go find them both.” He pats his leg again. “I’m going nowhere on this. Nurse’s orders.” He grins. “But come back soon, alright?”









“See ya,” I say, passing more badly-smelling beds and resolving to check the whole hospital until I locate my friend. Then I’ll go tell Beatrix we’re alive.













The place has a desperate, busy atmosphere about it. Experts shuffle around, leaving doors open, offices empty. It’s easy for me to slip around unnoticed in my quest to find Isadora. How hard can it be?




































Unless she’s in the morgue, whispers a dark voice in my head.





































For a second, panic momentarily stops me in my tracks. Then I’m off again and up the next flight of steps. I can’t give up just because I may or may not be going crazy.











Or maybe it’s just a bad omen.




























When I’m on the third floor, I tap a Nurse on the back.


























“Yes?” he says distractedly, his finger turning a page in his pile of notes. Well, today there are even more casualties than usual.



































The feeling is back, running its cold touch down my spine. “Have you seen a girl called Isadora? Isadora Hargreaves? About the same age as me, long brown hair, babbles on about nails a bit.” I look up at him hopefully.































A line forms between the Nurse’s eyebrows. “I’ll have a look around,” he promises with a kind look in his eye, and he hits me on the back and strides off, his shoes making a squeaking sound on the muddy floor.








































I decide to stay here, wait for him to come back. If I drift off now, he might find her and not be able to tell me, because I’d be gone. No. It’s better to stay in this chair, listening to the sounds of agony and tears, fear and hungry heat. Better not to think too much.








I take advantage of my temporary halt and start to work on a plan.














This time, I tell myself savagely, revenge really will be mine.


















I tap my trainers on the miserable floor, trying to come up with a world class strategy. No - nothing’s coming. Nothing but more stabs of hate jolting my heart. I am taking action. I just have to think how first.





























C’mon, think.




































There has to be a way. I’ve watched my Dad figure that one out for years. There must be something I can do. A way to get them back. Harder.

























How?








































And just as the solution is reaching my brain, the helpful Nurse returns, my distinctly ruffled friend in tow.




































































“I found her out on the steps,” he says, giving me a tight smile, and I remember that for him, his mission is never over. Because there is always someone else to find. Always someone else to save.
























“Thanks,” I say awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck. “I know you’re busy and stuff –”

































The Nurse waves away my concerns. “No problem.” And then he’s off again, down the stairs and out of sight.





























































“Logan!” Isadora says in relief, tears brimming in her eyes. “I thought you were dead!” she gives me a small, warm hug.










































“Are you OK?” I say. “I know Richard got burnt –”




























“Did he?” she says with wide eyes. “Oh no! Is he okay?”




















“Fine,” I say with a short laugh. “Flirting with the Nurses,” I add for good measure.












“That’s my cousin,” she says.































As we’re walking back to find Richard, all I can feel is that ever empowering clench of fury in my chest, igniting the plan in my head.



























Somehow, I am going to make sure they burn.

I pull on my newly cleaned school clothes, wiping a damp patch on my forehead. I only got about two hours sleep. It was so hot and uncomfortable in bed, too. But the real reason I was lying awake was because of fear. Touched with worry and regret. On the news, the day after it happened, they said around thirty people had died. They don’t really announce Rebel names, because they’re not considered important enough. Only if a leader dies. And none did.























Just like when the square got bombed. Only the innocent were killed, as usual. These people – they never learn, do they? And now of course, the other side will retaliate, and the cycle will continue. It’s so stupid.



























There’s one good thing, though. I learnt there were no more attacks after that first one. So Logan must be alright. Even with the news, I tossed and turned all night long. Should I have stayed, and risked exposure, or was I right to go back and wait?









































I don’t know.



































I rub the shadows under my eyes, but they don’t fade. All of me is looking tired nowadays, to be honest. Like the life has drained away from my face. I look like a stranger. A ghost girl. Haunted with sad green eyes.




























I turn away from the mirror and slowly brush my long strands of hair down my back, so hard I almost wince. Then I tie it into a fierce topknot and walk downstairs to breakfast.










When the cornflakes come out, I nearly put my head in them. But somehow, I manage to eat them instead of sleeping in them. It’s quite a trial.















I can feel Seth watching me even though I’m looking down, at the silver spoon.















“What’s up?” he says. When I don’t answer, he assumes the obvious. “Have you seriously not done the homework again?”































I give a non-committal shrug. Better not to lie or tell the truth. Just let him think whatever makes him happy.






































“Oh, cheer up,” he says. “It’s Monday, we’ve got the whole week of school ahead of us,” he gives me a lazy grin.





































“Yeah, like that’s supposed to make me feel better,” I say with a very deliberate roll of the eyes. “No offence, Seth, but I think your career as a guidance counsellor just got scuppered.”




























“You can talk,” he says.





























“Me?” I say indignantly. “Are you crazy? You know what I call you behind your back?” he waits, eyebrows half-raised. “Idiot!” I say, giving him a shove.





















“Yeah?” he says amusedly. “Well, you know what I call you behind your back?” I wait, head cocked to the side. “Fat!” he tells me.


























“Right – that’s it!” I’m about to give him the true definition of knuckle sandwich when Frank comes in. He clears his throat, and says that if I want to go out again, I better leave my brother alone.



























“So I get in trouble?” I say furiously. “Seth – tell him what you said!”


















“I said she’s the kind of person I want to be one day,” Seth says with perfect innocence. “And she just went mad. I don’t know why.” He gives me a sly smile.





















I turn to Frank, incensed. “You can’t believe his lies, surely?” I say.














“I neither believe nor disbelieve,” he says smoothly. “Now hurry up, the two of you. John is waiting with the car outside.”


























“You - !” I start to say, but our bodyguard has already gone. Bastard. Slimy little -







“What. A. Shame,” Seth says with another well-placed smirk.















“Seth, I swear, I will murder you,” I say, kicking back my chair and standing up. “C’mon, anyway. Unless you want to walk to school?”



























As I had predicted, the effect is immediate. Seth bounds up from his chair and runs out after me, tongue practically wagging out like some mad dog. Well, OK, that was a lie, but he almost did it.



























Almost.








































When we get to school, the clouds are brightening considerably. Seth and I step out into the blinding light and walk into the grey building. Back to lessons.















The day is slow and painful, and by break, my hand is ready to snap off with the effort of staying attached to my wrist. The amount of times I had to write: I must not be Summer was excruciating. Barbaric. Ridiculous. Against the rules. Well, maybe not, actually. But still.











































“Well, it’s all your own fault,” Rose says bracingly. “Why didn’t you do the stupid homework?”










































Because I was too busy watching Logan’s town burn, I think in my head.













“Because I couldn’t be bothered, alright?” I say, tired of being lectured.
















“None of us like it, Summer,” Tristan says. “But that doesn’t mean you don’t do it. I mean, I know you can get away with it and stuff – ”




















“I am not getting away with it!” I say, appalled. “Do you know how many detentions I’ve had? Or can’t you do the maths, big brain?”























Seth and Amanda splutter with laughter, but Rose and Tristan still look faintly disapproving. Whatever. What they don’t know can’t kill them.













Still, even if I had been slacking deliberately, when did they suddenly become my life coaches? Who are they to rant at me for homework that is none of their bleeping business? Even Seth’s a smaller whiner than these people nowadays.



























The rest of the day passes similarly. I keep my head down, my pen on my work, but inside, all I can do is think about father. Logan. The Rebels. The people who didn’t make it out alive. If we hadn’t gone to the forest, he could’ve died too. I don’t really know how he feels about that. Maybe he’s so used to it now it all passes over his head. No, I don’t really believe that. He just doesn’t like to talk about things.





















Still, I should probably go and see him, check everything’s alright. That’s what a friend would do.





































So after school, I manage to deflect Seth’s offer of a football game and slide into father’s office unnoticed. Every time I come in here now, I feel sick with disappointment. What a mess he has made. And what a liar I am.






























I crawl dejectedly through the tunnel, humming to myself in the almost blackness. Somehow, this journey seems longer than usual. Maybe it’s the heat. Horrible and disgustingly muggy. It makes me feel really claustrophobic underground, like I can’t breathe, even though I normally don’t mind travelling through. I think of how excitement has gradually turned to tiredness, and give a sigh. I wish things could be how they were when I first met Logan. I wish I could be that naïve again.
















Life was so much simpler when I didn’t have to take sides.



















I never used to think about it much. It was just father and his noble war, and that was all we were ever told. Now – now there are bombings, poverty, deaths. Now the usual brightness in my heart has been replaced by cold fear. Because who knows what is coming next? I guess everyone’s really feeling their mortality now. I know I am.












The knob of the white door starts to turn, and there stands Logan.

















I put my feet on the scratchy carpet, and say: “Hi. How is everything?”













“Alright,” he says with the same shrug I gave Seth. But though his words are casual, I think I see something in his eyes. A darkness.






















“Is everyone okay?” I say, a little unnerved. “I mean, are Steve and your mother and father - ”




































“They’re fine,” he’s smiling slightly, like something’s I’ve said is funny to him. But as he smiles, I see the determination in his face. It’s like he’s oddly focused, distracted. I wish I could see what he’s thinking.



































































“Oh! Good,” I say in relief. “They don’t really announce your deaths on our news, you know. So I thought maybe –”





























“My Dad’s friend Marco lost his daughter and wife,” he cuts in abruptly.













My legs feel suddenly shaky, like they’re made of nothing but sugar. “I – I’m really sorry,” I say. I have to turn my face away, otherwise I might cry, and this grief isn’t mine.







“These things happen,” he says in a low voice.





















“Yeah…but…your Dad’s friend…he must be devastated,” I say with a shiver.














“He’s throwing himself into work,” Logan says with a dead look in his eyes. “Pretending everything’s OK.” He shakes his head, and I think I see real pain on his face. “He has two other daughters, you know. He can’t just give up. He has to keep fighting for what they died for.”






























I stay silent, not knowing what to say. The awfulness of his world is finally starting to reach me. And that’s when I see there is no hope for this war. These people – they have hardly anything left. They are angry, starving, desperate to topple the Government. And they are not about to stop. Not for anyone. Not even if family members die. I can’t imagine ever being like that.






















“I was wondering…” Logan says slowly. I look up at him. “if I could maybe visit your house sometime? It’s just, you’ve been round to mine, and I’ve never seen your place.” There’s something off about his apparent excitement, but I can’t quite see what it is.



















“Well…it depends,” I say. “It’d have to be a day when no one’s in, you know. And even then, I never have long before someone’s home.”


























“I don’t mind waiting,” he says reasonably enough. “So, how was school?”















“A pain in the arse,” I say, and we both laugh.





















But I can’t quite shake off the feeling we are playing a game.

Focus. The main thing to do is focus.


























The plan is simple. I go through the hole – presumably to Summer’s bedroom – and start searching her house for valuable documents, future plans, anything useful. Essentially, I am going there to spy. I just have to work out how to distract my Government friend while I get to work.
































Yeah, it’s despicable, dishonest, whatever, but I’ve got no choice. They’ve got to be stopped now – before they do something else. Before they kill any more of my friends.






It’s not like I want to betray her. But what am I supposed to do? I hardly think Summer would let me root through all the private things in her house. And I wouldn’t expect her to. So really, I am saving her from making a big decision. Besides, everyone’s happy if they don’t know what would only piss them off. That’s what I tell myself, anyway.





So, as soon as I have the files, proof, whatever I can find, I will make my excuses and leave before Summer’s parents return. Then I’ll show them to Dad and the other Rebel leaders – especially Marco – and we get to work.

























On second thoughts, I probably shouldn’t take the actual documents. The Government officials would be too suspicious. So is there a way I could make copies?










No. Not enough time. So what? I take photos? Bring a notebook and write down random notes?































Well, I think wryly, I’m sure I’ll think of something.















And if I don’t, let’s just say I’m better off dead.























Whistling, I throw on an old t-shirt and make my way to the living room. After the first few days, things returned pretty much to normal. We don’t really speak of what happened much. We plot. So as soon as I can gather some evidence, I can move their revenge forward, and we all get what we want.


















I push down the little squirm in my chest, the one that tells me I’m wrong, stupid, a liar, an idiot. The one that says I’ll never get away with this.












Because it’s like I said. I don’t have a choice. If I did, I wouldn’t be risking everything like this.































There is one thing I know, though. Whether I succeed or fail, justice will be done one day. In my name if necessary, if I don’t make it back. You have to make sacrifices in a war, and this is mine.






























I just hope Summer forgives me someday.























“Going to the old Army base today?” Dad asks as I sip pea-flavoured soup.









“Dunno,” I say, wincing a little as the hot liquid seeps down my throat. “Maybe. So – what about you? Are you staying out the whole day?”





















“Well, probably, son,” Dad says with a strained sigh. “We have a lot to sort out. Your mother, too – she’s volunteered to help clear up all the mess. And I expect Steve will be along to train at the base.”




























Perfect, I think, just perfect.
































That’s everyone out of the way. I couldn’t have planned it better myself.












“Might be along myself,” I say. “to train up a bit. And I’ll drop by the hospital, see Richard.” He’ll cover for me. I’m sure of it.





















“How is the lad?” Dad says.




























“Trust me, he was fine when I last saw him,” I reply. “Flirting with just about anyone with boobs.”






























“Don’t let your mother hear that,” Dad says as I smirk.


















“Rebel’s honour,” I say.













































At nine o’clock, I head out of the house on the pretence of going to training early. But really I’m going to Julie’s to pick up some supplies, just in case. Basic first aid. Food that’ll last quite a while. A spare kitchen knife (that comes second only to Dad’s Swiss one), and a huge bottle of water. It costs seven silver pieces in total, but compared to other places, I’ve got a bargain. I thank Julie quickly and leave, deciding to go see Richard after all. He must be bored out of his arse in there, even with all the Nurses. Plus, who wouldn’t the smell not get to? It’s disgusting in there.






















































































































I walk up the small, ragged steps and wander inside. Someone’s sprayed a strange musky scent to cover the stench of vomit and blood. I can’t say it improves the air much; in fact, it tickles my throat more than usual. I really don’t know how anyone can stand to have this as their permanent home. I’d be unconscious within the week.

























But when I get to Richard’s old bed, a sheepish-looking Nurse tells me he was discharged last night. Damn. Now I’ll have to run all the way to his house, if only for an alibi.






Or, since my hut is only across the road…I could always steal Steve’s bike. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.







































So I sneak into the garage and start to peddle away, though not quite as quickly as I’d hoped. I look more like super-baby than superman, if you know what I mean. Oh well. What’s dignity, at the end of the day?





































I think of what Summer would say to that and start to laugh, but immediately my brain reminds me of what I must do, and the laughter dies right away. There’s no room for regret on this mission.






























When I reach Richard’s house, I park Steve’s bike in the bushes, where it can’t be seen or stolen. Well, unless there’s a professional leaf-checker around (who also happens to nick bikes) and I severely doubt that.






















Then again, when have I ever been right about anything?





























I rap my knuckles on the door, and after a tense five minutes in which I cough to pass the time, a woman with a harrowed-looking face opens it. Her face relaxes into a smile when she sees it’s only me. Wow, are they expecting bailiffs or something? Or maybe she just hopes I’ve got news from my leader Dad. Preferably news in which I tell her we’re about to burn the leg of the General’s son. I laugh quietly to myself at the thought, then realize this must look crazy and stop.


































“Oh, it’s you!” she says in relief. “Well, I hope you can do a better job keeping my son’s head out of the lad magazines.”

































I smile uncomfortably, because I may or may not have a few of those abandoned under my bed myself. “Well, I’ll try,” I say with a fake attempt at bravado.















When I open bedroom number two, I find Isadora and Beatrix have already got here before me. And I thought I was early. Sneaky witches, not coming for me. Probably thought they’d get more of Richard’s get-well-soon chocolates this way.











“Oh, hi, Logan!” Isadora says with a big grin, but her innocence doesn’t fool me. I’ve already seen the Smarties’ shell coated across her teeth.

























“Thanks for sharing, guys,” I say darkly, sitting on a hard desk chair. “It’s always nice to know who your friends are.” I shoot Richard an accusatory glance as I speak, as if to say I expected this from the girls, but not him. I hope he is very, very scared right now. Especially with that banged-up leg – which is about to get a lot worse if he doesn’t start talking now.





































“Don’t look at me, I couldn’t move,” Richard says. “Anyway, we didn’t want to get you out of bed.”



































“Lies,” I say, but they just laugh. “Oh, so you think this is funny, do you?” Isadora screams. “OK, calm down, I wasn’t being serious,” I hold my hands up in defeat. “Happy?”















































“Yes,” Isadora says in a trembling voice.
























“Ignore her, she’s been jumpy since we last got dive-bombed,” Beatrix says, flicking her pixie-like hair away from her face.






















“Don’t worry, I will,” I say grumpily, accepting the mint she gives me.















“So what have you been up to?” Richard says.


























Planning the deaths of Government officials, if you really want to know, I think.











But I can’t say this so instead I tell him: “Nothing much really. Helping clear out the streets, training a little. Fishing. Staying out of Steve’s way.”













“You know, I really think it’s time you –” Beatrix starts to say.
















“Just drop it, alright?” I say flatly. “I’m really not in the mood.”


















“Alright,” Beatrix says. “Jeez, Logan, what is up with you today?”
















Well, tricking your way into an enemy house does seem to take a lot of patience.












“Nothing,” I say. They all look at me sceptically. “OK – I need a favour.”











“What kind of favour?” Richard says suspiciously.




























“Does it involve money?” Beatrix wants to know.



















“Will we be in danger?” Isadora says, looking scared again.
















“You won’t,” I mutter under my breath.





























“So what are you actually after?” says Beatrix, narrowing her eyes.



















“Nothing major,” I say, resting my gaze on the window ledge. “I just need an alibi for this afternoon and later, if I’m not back.”


































“Where are you going?” Richard says.

























Here's the snag. They’re not actually allowed to know that part. For their own good. It’s not that I don’t trust them…I’ve just learnt it’s better to operate alone, consult others after. It’s not like I want to hog all the information to myself, is it? I’m doing this for us all.

















“I can’t actually tell you that,” I say, looking at each of them steadily. “But if you all cover for me, then I swear I’ll tell you afterwards.” I wait hopefully.
















“Well…OK,” says Isadora.






























“As long as you do,” Beatrix says.



























“If you pay me first,” says Richard with a grin.





















“Go to hell,” I say, but I’m grinning, too.























It looks like Operation Summer’s House is in full swing.



















Let’s just hope I live to tell the tale.

My alarm wakes me up at ten thirty.





















I sit straight up in bed, heart beating hard. Today is the day. But if I can’t manage to get everyone out of the way, then both mine and Logan’s head is for the chop.











I keep wondering why he’s suddenly so curious as to where I live. He’s never been bothered about it before, other than to mutter darkly about mansions and ‘those f*ing officials’. He usually doesn’t give it a thought.























I never once thought he’d come here. The way I’ve always imagined our meetings is me coming to him. I think we’ve both agreed it’s safest that way.















But he seemed pretty determined to visit, so what could I say? It would have been rude to refuse, and whatever my parents are, they have raised me on manners.













I open my wardrobe door and select a light pink and white dress, since it’s boiling today. I get dressed quickly and tie my hair into a long plait, the way I did that day I went to the forest. It was so peaceful in there. Like you could hear every breath you took. I’d much rather go back there than have him come to this boring old place, but that seems selfish. He’s apparently set on coming, and I don’t honestly think anything I said would have made any difference.
























What am I going to do with him once he comes here? I hardly think he’d be interested in maths homework and nail varnish and hairstyles and the shop keeper’s son like Rose would be. I try to think about what my brother and Tristan like to do together. Hmmn. Let’s think. Insult each other. Talk about girls. Talk about football. Play football.










That’s it! I’ll play five-a-side with him. And I bet I’ll still beat him, too.












I don’t really know what sports they play over on his side. Their lives mostly seem to involve eating soup, learning how to kill people, and, um, eating soup. But you never know – he might be a fan. And if he isn’t, I can always teach him, the way he taught me how to catch fish. Even now, I can’t believe I caught three my first time. I bet Logan didn’t manage as many on his first go.



















With these new thoughts in mind, I’ve brightened up considerably. There’ll be loads to do this way, and I can take this opportunity to get him to try some really cool food I’m almost certain he hasn’t seen yet. I don’t know why I was worried about today. It’s going to be fun.






























There’s only one problem. Well, three problems, actually. Frank, Tara, and Joanne.












Maybe I should just hide Logan in my bedroom. How weird would that be, a fugitive Rebel in my wardrobe? I gaze at my chest of drawers dreamily. This cloak-and-dagger thing is going to be amazing. I don’t know why I didn’t think of it sooner. And I can always bring him meals from the kitchen, pretending to the staff I just want to eat in my bedroom. And I’ve got a few films we could watch – well, I doubt he’ll want to see Titanic but Seth has this really disturbing collection of action films which appear to involve a lot of violence, a lot of dippy love interests, a couple of guns and an arch nemesis. Just his type of thing. And if he wants a tamer adventure movie (which I doubt), I could always drag him through my entire box set of Harry Potter. I know it’s over, but it’ll never die in my heart. Seriously, Logan has not lived until he’s seen that series. No one has.







With fresh inspiration, I skip down the stairs in a way I haven’t for a long time. Things are looking up a lot since father burned Logan’s town.




















And today won’t be an exception.
























When I go to the kitchen and see my twin in his football outfit, I almost wish I could take Logan with him and Tristan, and we could all have a good game together. But even I, in my delirious state, can see that will not happen. In two trillion years.















Make that a zillion.






























“Slow on the uptake as always,” Seth says with a mysterious grin.













“Pardon?” I say as I sit down.



























“I meant: last to the table, as always,” he says.























“Shut up, freak,” I say, hissing the last word, and he throws a cornflake at my face. Honestly, what a child.





























He missed, anyway. So shame on him.



















“Damn,” Seth says sulkily. Then the grin suddenly returns. “So, being forced to stay in to do late homework again?”










































“You’re such a snake of a brother,” I say. “And like I care. As long as you’re out of the house, I’m happy.” I give a sarcastic smile. “Besides, I love doing fractions. They’re…fun.”
































“Right,” he says with a pitying expression on his face.




















Well, little does he know what I’m really up to. I’m dying to blurt it out now, if only to score a few cheap points. But seriously. No one knows how to get under my skin like that boy does. And if I ever become a murderer, he’s why. Not that he’d be around to see that, if you get what I mean.























On this dark note, I say: “Break a leg today. No, really. Hopefully in a flop side tackle.”






“You’re just jealous of my incredible talents on the football field,” he says with a smug smile.






































“In your hallucinations, maybe,” I say, disgusted. I swing my long plait so it rides down my back. “Honestly, Seth, get a life. Or a proper dream. Or both.”














“Says the girl who practically lives in her own bedroom these days,” he says.








“Yeah, that really hurts me,” I say. “Inside.”

























“I bet you’ll cry yourself into the afternoon,” he says.




















“Yeah, you think that,” I say brightly, standing up. “Well, I’ve got homework to complete, so have fun rolling in the mud.”












































Seth shouts an insult after me, but I’m already gone.






















My conversation with my brother has taught me one thing, though. All boys really do do is talk about football or put each other down. I knew I was right. Though one look at that maths answer tells me I’m wrong. Oh well. What’s education, in the grand scheme of things?






























The way this war is going, none of us will see twenty.


















So maybe the Rebels have a point. Maybe it is better to teach your children how to survive rather than how to become a marine biologist. For example.














I wait until the house is empty of people apart from Tara, Joanne and me. On a lucky whim, Frank decided Seth’s need for protection was greater than mine out there in the big wide field. It should be nothing short of easy to hide Logan. Joanne always stays out of my way and I expect Tara will be busy as usual.























Logan said he’d come around twelve (adding the time it takes to go through the hole), so I should probably wait in the office. Hopefully I can distract him enough that he won’t see the items on the desk identifying my father as General Spear. It’s a vain hope, but so much else has happened that I never thought I’d get away with, so why not this? I might as well be positive, because no one ever got anywhere with a defeatist attitude, did they?







Maybe if my mother had been more independent, she wouldn’t have married such a man. But who knows. Love – and money – are two strange things that seem to matter an awful lot to adults. Especially the gold. Power, too. That’s important, or so I hear.








I am standing right by the painting when the guard walks in.
















Dressed smartly in tight black uniform; his hair slicked back; forehead shiny with sweat and sun cream. I freeze, but it’s too late. He’s already seen me.













Frantically, I glance down at my clock and try to think. It’s half an hour before Logan gets here – so I better talk fast.




























“I was just – er – looking for something,” I say stupidly, crossing my fingers behind my back.





































“I’m afraid you don’t have the authorisation to be in here, Miss Spear,” the guard says smoothly, starting to slowly step towards me.
























Shit shit shit.
































“I left my earring in here,” I say, swallowing nosily. “And I think it might be, er, hidden in the carpet somewhere.” I bend down and pretend to be searching for the fictional object, but it’s no use because anyone can see this white rug is so clean you’d spot jewellery with your eyes closed.


























Oh, help. Why did he have to choose today to fetch something for my father?










“Well, I’m not leaving,” I say defiantly, ignoring his raised eyebrows. Desperate times call for desperate measures. “I am the General’s daughter and he wouldn’t be too happy if he heard you were bossing me around, would he?”



















“On the contrary,” he says with a twisted smirk, putting one more foot forward. “I have it in writing that if anyone ever goes into your father’s office without his permission – whether wife or children – then they must be removed immediately.”











“Crap,” I say.
























































All I have time to do is spit in his face before he calls in a reinforcement and I am forced bodily from the little office.

Why didn’t Summer ever say how dark it is in here?
















I blink a little as my eyes become adjusted to the gloom after the bright light of the outside world, and swear as my knees come into contact with a cobweb. OK, so she never said it was pleasant, but she could have warned me. Well, I suppose she doesn’t owe me anything. Not now.




























But jeez, it’s disgusting in here.


























I brush a dusting of dirt off my arm and keep up the tireless journey. She never said how long it is, either. I feel kind of cheated.








































































































































When my eyes find a shaft of light, I realize I must be close. Automatically, my heart starts to thump harder in my chest. This is it. My chance. Just a twitch of my hand, a shove of the back of this painting, and I’m through.
























I stretch out an exhausted hand and push. A little too hard, so I shoot out onto the white carpet. Now I can see again, it almost hurts to feel the lamp above on my face.







It takes about five seconds for me to realize I’m not in Summer’s bedroom at all. I’m in an office.



































Ridiculously clean and tidy, it screams order. Nothing like the log Dad uses to hold his meetings. Smells of lemon, too, which makes a change from wood fire and beer cans. There’s something about the smell, though. Something that suggests things aren’t quite as sweet as the air would have me believe.























I start to pace around the room, wondering what I should do now. Go find Summer? Wait for her to find me in this weird little room? Go back? No, I can’t go back, can I?











My head starts to bash at my skull, demanding that I think. I don’t know. What can I do?




Hang on a minute. I am perfectly placed – and alone – in a room that could hold the darkest of Government secrets. Why did I even hesitate - ?


















Without another second’s thought, I start pulling open the first drawer I can find. Masses of white paper lie at the bottom, dull and bleakly printed. I pick one up and start to read. A letter to the French prime minister. A request for a meeting. A heavy bill. And – to my utter delight – a plan revealing the storage of nuclear bombs.














A slight chill runs through me. Nuclear. That’s bad. But if I can get it shut down, then they’ll be defenceless, just like we’ve been for all these years -















I’m so intent on studying the slip of a plan I don’t notice the door creak open.








My head is bent low, my eyes travelling over the page, when I hear the first gasp.








I spin round on the spot, my head whirling – and see a woman in smart black uniform, a feather in her hair. Her mouth curves into a triangle shape.


















Fuck.










































“Henry!” she says, her voice screeching down the hall outside. “Henry, get here quick! Bring some guards! We have an intruder!”

























A sound like a backfiring car engine goes off, wailing around the whole house. I half want to put my hands over my ears, but they’re stuck by my sides; still and clenched into two hard fists. How the hell am I going to get out of this one?
















This isn’t like being in a bomb raid. Or a fire. I am actually face to face with one of them. One of the enemy. And she’s going to bring me down.


















“Shut up!” I say desperately. “Just shut up, will you!”





















But it’s too late because the siren is getting louder and there are running footsteps on the stairs - shouting, stamped boots – and a burst of the door.






















Four uniformed guards have my arms pinned by my sides before I can do so much as yell. I can feel their fingers, scratching into my skin in a perfect trail of bruises.











“Get off me!” I say, putting as much aggression into my voice as I can manage with my face squashed into office table.





































“What were you doing in here?” a deep male voice says in my ear.




















“Get off me!” I repeat, trying to fight the arms away from me. My mouth’s too far away to bite one of them, so I kick the one who spoke in the shins.






















The reaction is immediate.






























A hand, so sharp my eyes go black for a moment, knocks into the back of my head. I don’t make a sound, trying to think as my vision goes dizzy.


























“Just take him down to the cells,” I hear another guard say roughly. “We’re not doing any good up here.”








































“Before he comes?” a woman whispers.


























“Precisely,” says the deep-voiced male who hit me.























Rage, boiled in my round hand, reaches up and smacks one of them on the chin. And before I know it, a needle is being jabbed into my neck.























































I try to fight the coming darkness, but the room is shrinking in my mind, and everything is going blank. All I hear is the dull thud where my body makes contact with the ground.
















And then everything disappears.

I don’t know what has happened to Logan until my father comes down to dinner.









His black hair is chopped short and severely as usual; his grey eyes filled with a dark coldness.





























Mother pauses automatically before putting the bowl of boiled carrots on the table, her lips a dark shade of red.




































Under the table, Seth kicks my foot. I look sideways at him, and shake my head. He sighs, and we wait for the General to speak.
























“There was an incident in my office,” he says, stern fury hidden by his polite, clear tone.




Involuntarily, I put a hand to my mouth. No. They can’t have found him. No. No way. I know him, he’ll have found a way to escape -

























“You’re right to be shocked,” he says, giving me a nod of approval. “My guards found a young boy in there, going through my plans.”




























My eyes burn with his words. Logan wasn’t here to visit after all. He was here to spy. I can feel a wide sinking in my chest; a bubble of nerves in my stomach. I was betrayed. And now they are going to shoot him.





































Stupidly, I thought he was my friend. Stupidly, I invited him to my house. And you know what’s the most stupid thing of all? I trusted him. Told him things I’ve never said. And all along, he was using me. I have played right into his hands – the foolish, excitable Government girl – and he almost got away with it. Only now he is imprisoned, and he is going to die.





























“For the time being, we have detained him in the underground cells,” my father continues. “According to my soldiers, he put up quite a struggle. But don’t worry,” he says to my mother’s alarmed face. “We took care of that.”














“What do you mean?” I say without thinking. “What did you do?”













The General looks down at me in surprise.






























“Drugged him, of course, for the time being,” he says. “Tied his hands behind his back. He won’t be going anywhere.”































“You and your save-the-defenceless act,” Seth whispers in my ear.










I sit still in my chair, my mind a factory of confusion. I don’t know what I’m supposed to feel for the boy trapped in our cellar. I only know what my father is saying, how my mother’s hands flutter to smooth down her dress, how Seth rolls his eyes at me.












I don’t know why even now, a raging impulse seizes my heart. One that tells me I have to do something. Of course, there are other feelings. Anger, hurt, spite – feelings that tell me he is getting exactly what he deserves; that he was pretending all along. Had this planned from the beginning.


























And probably wishes my whole family had died in the square bombing. All of father’s officials – all of my friends. Then he and his people could bury us to the ground, and he’d have won.






































Part of me calls for his punishment. But there is a deeper voice, echoing in my head.








One that tells me that despite what he’s done, everyone needs a second chance.







And no child should be locked up for life. Or shot.


















None of us should be caught up in any of this. And yet we are.


















Is that his fault?
































“We will be tightening security, of course,” Father says, a grumble in his chest. “We have no idea how he entered my house, but we will be interrogating him thoroughly. You have my word we will get to the bottom of this.” His eyes are touched with wild determination; a yearning. “And in the meantime…” he looks at Seth and me. “I don’t want anyone going near the cellar. Is that understood, you two?”













“Yes,” we say, my voice a little later than my twin’s.




















“Right, eat up,” Mother says, bustling around gracefully to put chicken onto our empty plates. “It’s been a long day.”










































I’m almost sure that if I eat that greasy piece of meat, I’ll be sick. I hesitate over the meal, my silver fork suspended in the air.

























“I’m not hungry,” I say eventually, though my stomach gurgles in response. “See you later.”






































I ignore the scrap my chair makes, and my mother’s disappointed face, and start to climb up the stairs. Thoughts of Logan being tortured, beaten, shot, ring in my mind.








I suck in a breath and push open my bedroom door, knowing that when morning comes, something will be done.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.