Borrowed Wings | Teen Ink

Borrowed Wings

By Penrose, Strathroy, Other
Penrose, Strathroy, Other

“We have come from God, and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. Indeed only by myth-making, only by becoming 'sub-creator' and inventing stories, can Man aspire to the state of perfection that he knew before the Fall. Our myths may be misguided, but they steer however shakily towards the true harbour, while materialistic 'progress' leads only to a yawning abyss and the Iron Crown of the power of evil.”

Author's note: The idea of fearing the dark has always been captivating. I hope that you, the reader, will be able to understand the similarities and differences between a young girl's dreams and a young woman's fears.

“Starbright, starlight, don’t go to sleep tonight.”
The whispers of her mother’s bedtime song haunt her.
“You wish you may, with all your might.”
The bedcover, a layer of security, is tucked to her chin.
“Forever fight the sting of light.”
The nightlight’s lone flicker is hungrily devoured by the darkness at the click of a switch.
Mother's gentle fingers stroke Aura's forehead for a brief moment. Then Mother leaves, the steady rhythm of her footfalls slowly receding into the darkness.
Aura is alone. The familiar features of her pink-drenched room have been erased into nothingness by a hand of shadow and gloom. All she can do is hope she’s looking in the right direction at the painting on the wall.
She loves that painting. The artist has captured the precise moment the girl takes flight. Her silky black hair seems to be flowing off the canvas, several strands dancing across her pale face. You can just sense the gentle summer breeze tousling those locks, pushing her golden frock to her knees as the skirt poufs out behind her. The dazzling blue sky is broken up by her arms, outstretched to her very fingertips, while her feet soar above the rich green grass. The girl is lovely; a flying princess, but what Aura loves is not her beauty. It is the expression of pure bliss in her youthful eyes. That is what makes her fly, Aura has decided.
Aura wants to fly too. She wants to dance into the air, away from the black stain of night.
Terrible things happen at night, she’s heard. People get sick and die and little girls get lost. Children are stolen from their homes. Dogs turn into wolves by the light of the pale moon. Evil villains plot to take over the world. Darkness makes everyone blind.
Then Aura imagines a secret council of clever foxes, sweet owls, regal cats, and other nocturnal animals meeting to discuss the natures of toadstools and fairies and the magic of a forest. They need the dark to speak together. The image comforts her a bit. And in another country, maybe some other little girl is enjoying her breakfast, having conquered the dark already. Yes, it’s much better to be that girl. Night has left her, chased away by the sun, and has settled in Aura’s world, a world of soft pajamas and fairies and pink.
She closes her eyes and the comforting thoughts cease. The myriad of different blacks hiding behind her eyelids scares her horribly: it’s worse than the seething darkness in her room, prowling and snarling like a tiger. Here, in her mind, it envelops her with no escape.
The fingers of her imagination stretch and pull the sounds around her; she is afraid of what she can’t see. So in reality, that lone owl is hunting her, waiting for the perfect moment to strike. She jumps at a mysterious creaking; someone bad is creeping through the house, looking for a little girl with golden hair and butterfly pajamas to steal. The whisper of the wind is Mother, singing her terrible bedtime song in the still of the night.
Aura has always hated that song. It never sounds quite right...like it’s meant to be a different song altogether. The most awful part is the way Mother sings it, in that whispery way. It gives Aura the chills. Mother has tasted darkness. She flies into it the way Aura wants to fly away from it.
Aura slips under the bedcover, basking in her own warmth. It's not long before sleep begins to tug at her eyelids, weighing them down. Aura wants to fight it. She doesn't like going to sleep. It is the darkest moment before the dawn. She has to give herself up to the shadows in the instant before slumber embraces her in a storm of enchantment and allure.
Dreaming is like flying with borrowed wings: exhilarating and beautiful, but shadowed with a thin sense of dread. Somehow, while you fly, you know that you’ll have to return the wings and plummet through the clouds back to Earth.
Aura sits upright in bed, pushing aside the cover, struck with a sudden urge. Her eyes are still closed. It’s all right; she knows how to get to the window just fine. She makes quite a sight, shuffling over the carpet with arms outstretched. She is quick to reach the window, though. Her blinded fingers fumble against the clasp: in one sharp movement, she pulls the two pieces apart and the curtains drift open. She doesn’t dare to look. Not until she can drink in the full picture.
She can feel the tantalizing starlight playing across her features, beckoning to her as she clambers onto the window seat. That’s when she follows the pull of the stars, tilting her head towards the sky. She quivers with delight, her thin fingers pushing loose strands of gold from her face. Her innocent eyes shine as they open to a breathtaking view of a million, luminous stars. They're like old friends, twinkling and smiling down at her. Aura is captivated as she imagines setting the girl in the golden dress free from the bonds of her canvas, watching as she takes wing to the sky burning with stars.
The beautiful moment comes to an abrupt halt at the loud thumps of someone coming up the stairs. Aura tenses as the thumps approach her room. If Mother found her hidden behind the curtains, drinking in the starbright sky...
Aura flings the curtains together, plunging into darkness. The glitter of the night sky is replaced by forms and shapes blurring into blackness. She darts to her bed, tucking herself in. She turns her head away from the door as her eyes widen in fear. All she can see is the faint memory of twinkling stars. Now, as she lies in wait, they dissipate into the ever-present darkness.
She listens to the door sway open. A thousand things come into her room: a ferocious monster, a fire-breathing dragon, every nightmarish being she has ever conceived in the pitch dark. Aura imagines that the fairies leap off her wallpaper, armed with brilliant defiance and bramble swords. But she quickly loses them to the darkness. The thousand enemies stomp out the colourful fairies, merging into a black tiger dripping with shadow. The tiger lunges—Mother approaches. It’s all Aura can do not to vault from the bed at the hand on her shoulder. She can't see Mother, but she knows she's there, watching with eyes that hold a secret. Fingers rub and caress, so gently and lovingly it has to be her. Aura is guilty for thinking such horrible thoughts about sweet, kind Mother.
The fingers tighten. Aura is perfectly still. Does Mother know? Without a word, Mother slinks off into the night, leaving Aura to wonder.
The curtains fall apart, letting in a trickle of moonlight.
She smiles and breathes in deep. She is determined to sleep.
This time, as she closes her eyes she pictures the girl with the golden dress, the one from the painting. She cuts and pastes until the girl isn’t flying into a summery afternoon, she is whirling into a night sky flooded with stars. Then the girl’s hair turns to shining gold, butterfly pajamas billowing out behind her. She is still flying, but with the arms of a young girl. She is Aura, covered in bliss.
Stars puncture the dark before the dawn. A storm of enchantment and allure embraces her, comforting her with images of nocturnal councils and colourful fairies, of flying girls and summery afternoons.
That night, Aura dances into the starbright sky.
She flies with borrowed wings.

Lea tucks her daughter in, pulling the bedcover to the little girl’s chin. She sings her mother's bedtime song, the one she learned when she was a little girl. It never sounds quite right, but Lea has always listened to her mother.
She clicks off the nightlight, ignoring the troubled look burning in Aura’s eyes. Yet as she walks past the painting, she is troubled as well. It's been a long time since she was that girl, leaping into the summer sun, radiating bliss. It was Father's last painting. He never got to watch that girl turn into the bitter woman she is today.
In this pocket of the world, night has settled in. Darkness has fallen across the rickety old house, staining it black. Lea stumbles several times on her way to the front door. She knows this house well, but every year seems to bring a new hazard; an uneven floorboard here, a loose nail there.
Lea is quick to find the coat hook, her slippers, and unlock the bolts and latches. The door makes a mysterious creaking noise as it closes behind her; another thing to fix. She trembles as she relocks every bolt and latch, buffeted by a rustling October wind that moans through one ear and shrieks out the other. Lea sighs and zips up her thin jacket, walking briskly into the surrounding forest.
She never wanted to move Aura to this dark place. Here, hedged in by this army of spindly black trees, here is not the place for a little girl to grow up. Her childhood didn't hold greater memories than sharp black things and a glaring mother, but she wants it to be different for Aura, her precious daughter.
The fingers of her imagination stretch and pull the sounds around her; in every rustle of the branches, someone dangerous is following her, someone who knows her secret. Every cry of an owl is the cry of her daughter, asking why her mother is gone from the house, gone without a trace. A new horror births from every unidentifiable sound she hears.
Shivers crawl down her spine. Ever since she was Aura’s age, Lea has been terrified of the dark. Of course, she thinks to herself, darkness is only the absence of light. There is never complete darkness. She doesn’t manage to convince herself not to be afraid, even though she is right. There is light in the gleam of moonlight in her eyes, though of course she cannot see it. There is light in the mysteries twinkling above her, though Lea chooses to see the only the night instead of the stars.
Consequently, she is surrounded by an inky blackness, melting away her common sense. She makes quite a sight: stumbling through the underbrush with an apparent loss of direction. But in her heart, Lea knows the path and she knows that she will not stray.
Lea has backtracked and sidetracked all over the place, but in the end, she is where she wants to be. She is deep in the heart of the forest, far from home, bathed in silence. She tilts her head towards the stars and closes her eyes, breathing in the night. It really is a beautiful thing: serene, calm, a time of rest. But it holds so many painful memories, so many fears; it has been stained black by Lea's own darkness.
Her slippers crunch on a carpet of twigs and dead leaves as she enters the clearing. By the barest glow of moonlight, she finds the stone. It’s a common rock, really: old, grey, and if it were alive, crotchety. It means so much more though.
It marks ten years of trust and respect. Ten years of loving somebody. Ten years of beauty. Ten years of a union, by death parted. Lea sinks to the ground, tears spilling before she can contain them.
This is her secret. She didn’t mean for it to happen. They’d been together for ten years, ten years to finally have a fight. A real fight, brewing with foolish, angry words and frustrated tirades. She’d thrown a pot at his head and told him never to come back. He’d yelled something equally rude at her and stormed off.
Nevertheless, she had regretted it as soon as she and baby Aura started crying, Aura’s wails unheeded in the deep dark night. It had been a deep dark night, hadn’t it? A night like this one, where the darkness seemed to pour into your very being...
She had followed him into the night, by pure instinct. She hadn't caught him in time, though: he'd disappeared without a trace. It was here that she'd marked something like a gravestone, pretending he was dead. It was so much easier to think of him as dead. Though in truth, he'd most likely disappeared into civilization: blending into a nice little neighbourhood, quickly shifting into a mundane life apart from her.
Yet she could not bear to hate him. When she was with him, he’d given her wings and they had flown together. When he died, she’d realized those kind of wings are only ever borrowed. She plummeted through the clouds, down to Earth with shocking pain.
It takes hours for Lea to bury the past and compose herself. She runs through the forest, allowing the thorny branches to slash her skin. The pain is good. The pain is distracting. A chorus of breaking branches and birds cawing angrily swells in her ears. As she slows to a halt, so does the chorus, fading out until all that's left is a single twig snapping. Lea freezes, a deer caught in headlights. She can't shake the eerie feeling that someone is watching, someone is following. Just in case, she retraces her steps, sprinting away from the house and doing several loops until there is only pure, sweet silence following her loud and clumsy footsteps.
Uneasily, she makes her way home, following a trail of mashed and broken undergrowth she assumes she's made.
The darkness is heavy, but shows signs of relenting when Lea finally returns to the rickety old house. The door is unlocked: she swings it open easily, sighing at the loud creaking noise. She hangs up her jacket, abandons her ruined slippers, and makes her way up to Aura’s room. The poor girl is—
Wait. She had locked the door.
Lea’s heart jackknifes, her eyes widening as she races up the flight of stairs. She can barely make out a shadowed silhouette, touching Aura's shoulder gently. He turns, and she is once again a deer caught in headlights. In three quick strides, he is facing her, close enough to touch. Lea can see him clearly by the glow of moonlight trickling from Aura’s window.
She dies a million times staring into those blue eyes.
"He's gone," Lea whispers. She's played that phrase over in her mind so many times, but it has never escaped her lips until now.
“He's—”
He stops her with a kiss. She fights so hard, but there’s something familiar: the way he leans into it, the way he makes their foreheads touch.
Lea wants to believe so badly...
“You have to believe me,” he mutters in a rich, throaty voice. “I lost everything that night.”
He shuts the door to Aura’s room carefully. Both are silent as he takes Lea's hand and leads her to the stairs.
"I haven't lived since then. Everything in the city reminded me of you, but I couldn't go back. I was too afraid you wouldn't accept me. But Lea, I just can't be without you anymore." His voice shakes. "I’ve made a lot of mistakes. This is the biggest, and the one I regret the most.”
Lea eyes him warily. He hurt her so badly; she didn't know how to breathe. The pain has hammered a hole through her heart, one it will take years to replace. She doesn't want to trust, but she knows that he means it. After all, they've shared ten years together. Ten years of trust and respect, ten years of loving somebody...
Lea flies into his arms.
She flies with borrowed wings.