Cal Oaks Miracle Diner | Teen Ink

Cal Oaks Miracle Diner

By Luxy_Reese PLATINUM, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Luxy_Reese PLATINUM, Grand Forks, North Dakota

Be yourself. Everyone else is taken.

Author's note: I just kinda made this up. I don't know anyone like this to be honest, but I'm sure there are, and I hope you don't feel as though I'm making fun of them. This is a story of hope and romance. Enjoy!

The word ‘normal’ doesn’t apply to me anymore. Not since… the accident. I’m only 17 dammit! Seventeen year old guys shouldn’t have to take care of a little sister. We shouldn’t have to be the sole provider for a family, and we most certainly shouldn’t have to bury our fathers. We shouldn’t have to cuddle our little sister’s close, and tell them mommy isn’t feeling well, and lie, saying she’ll get better when we know she won’t… But we do. Because life demands that we do so.
My name is Hunter Wolffe. I’m seventeen. I work at Cal Oaks Diner on Ceader Lane and Circle Street. My dad was killed in a hit and run. My mom’s now an alcoholic. And I have to juggle bills and school and family… in my senior year. Fantastic. You say your life is bad.
I threw a raw patty onto my stove top, and watched it sizzle, steam billowing off the top like a locomotive. One burger, two orders of fries, a shake, and three orders of onion rings. This was a ‘busy’ night for the diner. Jackson Hole isn’t exactly a big town. Population around five hundred, most people make the trip over to our neighboring town, Santana, for their big Friday night plans. Better then hanging around here I guess.
I flipped the burger. It hissed when it hit my stove again, and I meticulously placed two slices of American on it, making sure the corners stuck out like a star.
“Hey Wolfy! C’mon, your girlfriend is here!” One of the waiters, Mason, called out. I scowled. I didn’t have time for girlfriends or worrying about acne or any other normal teen thing.
“She’s not my girlfriend Mase. I don’t even know her name,” I told him. He just rolled his eyes.
“Just go get her order,” He told me.
“I’m a cook!” I yelled, but went out just the same. My life had been so choppy, so unhinged lately, that just this one regular customer made it seem like my life had some little tradition left in it. I almost convinced myself sometimes. Almost.

“Hello, miss, welcome to the Cal Oaks Diner, can I get you a drink tonight?” I asked politely, the basic rundown for waiting on tables. I smiled at her. Great waiter I was. But Mason had a point. She was cute, with light orange hair and freckles spotted over her pale skin. And her laugh… God it was adorable. But I had a family to raise. I stopped my thoughts on-
“I think we’re past that. I am here all the time. I’m Aspyn,” she said. Ok, I stopped my thoughts on Aspyn right there. She smiled at me, her teeth perfect.
My breath caught. What was I supposed to say? Do? I just kind of stood there, my deer-in-headlights act.
“Gonna tell me your name? You guys don’t wear tags in here,” she added, hedging me on. I gulped.
“I’m Hunter. Nice to meet you, Aspyn,” I said. Her name seemed roll off my tongue with difficulty.
“Hey Hunter. And I’d hardly call this meeting,” she added, biting her lip as she lazily scanned the menu she probably memorized already.
“Uh, can I get my usual?” She asked. She was always polite. Which is more than I can say for all the other snobs and jocks that bombarded the place after games and stuff.
“Of course,” I said, pretending to scribble down her order even though I had it memorized by heart. A grilled cheese, fries, and a cookies n’ crème shake.
“I’ll have that right out for you,” I said, looking up from the pad, and surprising myself when I gave her a smile. She returned it and I scurried away, preparing her meal. Yes, waiters and cooks are usually completely separate, but it was a small diner and I needed the money.
I came out fifteen minutes later with her meal balanced on my arms and placed it in front of her. She was there in her seat until five minutes before closing, and left a generous tip.
All that was left to do was wipe down the tables and stack the chairs before I headed out, walking the five blocks to my house. The streets were basically deserted, and the wind made the trees shake and quiver. Street lights flickered overhead, and only a couple of houses still had lights on. See, in Jackson Hole, there isn’t really rich vs. poor. Pretty much all the houses are the same, and really, your wealth is only shown through if you have a car, or if you’ve got an iPhone.
It wasn’t super late, only about ten, when I walked in. Our house was a little worse for wear, but I managed to keep the lawn nice, the porch presentable. My mother was passed out on the couch, a couple whiskey bottles around her. I sighed, and carried her to her bed and closed the door. She’d have quite the hangover in the morning, and hopefully that would mean I’d have Maya at school before she actually got up.
I cracked open Maya’s door, making sure she was ok. Her brown locks were smooshed against the pillow and she had one hand wrapped around Hamilton the turtle, the other under her pillow. I couldn’t help but think that she was so young, especially like this, when her face seemed to look even more innocent that she already was.
And I was determined to keep it that way. I always thought that maybe if it was just me, maybe if I was an only child, things would be different. But they wouldn’t. I’d still have to work to pay bills because my mother’s unemployed.
Running a hand through my tawny colored hair, I walked to the kitchen. Funny, I worked at a diner basically from the moment I was out of school until ten, and I came home to eat after cooking for everybody else. Some things in life never lost their irony on me.
I cracked two eggs into a pan and leaned against the kitchen counter. Dirty dishes, papers, and trash littered the counter top, and I moved almost robotically, cleaning up the mess.
Believe it or not, we probably couldn’t afford eggs if it wasn’t for the chickens we had outback. It had been a sympathy gift after my father’s passing, and you might think it’s strange, but it might honestly be the best gift we got. The chickens eat pretty much anything, and give us fresh eggs.
“Hunter?” I heard, a ghost of a whisper, come from the hallway. I looked over and saw little Maya, dressed in her long sleeved nightie, rub the sleep from her eye.
“I’m sorry kid, did I wake you?” I asked, walking over to her. I picked her up (she was light for an eight year old), and sat her down at the worn dining table.
She shook her head. “No, I was hungry,” she whispered. I felt my chest tighten with the familiar feel of anger. Our mother had been too far gone to even feed her own daughter! We were barely getting by, and I’d bring home leftovers from the diner when I could, but we couldn’t afford snacks. Maya and I were on free lunch at the schools, and I’d taught her how to bring home any food she doesn’t eat, but mostly I had to cook.
It was easy during the summer and spring. I’d made a garden out back, and our staple was potatoes. You could have potatoes with every meal every day, 24/7. They were quick and simple.
“Well, I’m making eggs and toast, you want some?” I asked. She nodded her head so quick the anger just swelled. She deserved more, far more, that this crap hole of a life. She deserved so much better. And as terrible as life was right now, as terrible as it might get and seems, I was determined that she would get a great life. If it was the only thing I ever accomplished (and it probably will be,) I will give Maya the life she deserves.

Chap. 2
A couple days had passed since actually knowing Aspyn’s name. And she’d come into the diner every day after that, and ordered the same thing. She always did, and it made me wonder why the last few days had made such an impression on me. Maybe it was knowing the cutie’s name. Maybe it was actually having a humane conversation other than Maya and the guys at work. Who knew? Certainly not me.
There was a big football game tonight over at my high school, Jackson Hole High, home of the Falcons. Well, to be honest, every game for our school is big. Especially if it’s a home game. Then we have other teams on our turf. And that’s when things get ugly. Not necessarily brawls, but shouting matches, pranks, things like that. And it’s on these nights the diner brings new meaning to the phrase, “Packed in like sardines.”
The diner flooded in with people around eight, after we won the game. 28-3, Falcons over the Huskies. Apparently it wasn’t a real nail biter, Falcons taking the lead first and fast. Great. That just meant more people were going to celebrate at Cal Oaks tonight, and that would mean rowdy tables and forced patience. Yeah, lots and lots of patience.
I had about four burgers sizzling at me at one time, seven orders of fries to attend to, a couple different milkshakes to make, and that was all for one table. It was gonna be a late night.
I flipped two of the burgers and lifted some fries out of the vat of hot oil, and was about to start on the milkshakes when Ray, the manager, poked his head into the back.
“Hey Hunt! Go clean up tables ten and twelve, I’ll watch the patties,” Ray said. I just nodded. Most kids would probably hate going out in front of their classmates at their job, but I hardly knew any of these students.

I took a damp rag and wiped off the tables, clearing the plates and cups into a grey plastic bin. The other shouting seniors didn’t even give me a second glance, they just whooped and hollered, some even swinging their lettermen jackets about their heads. I just rolled my eyes, and attempted to maneuver around and in between everyone, which was proving to be about as impossible as bringing the Titanic up from the ocean floor.
Catching my breath, I finally made it out of the sea of gyrating bodies and into the hallway where the entrance to the kitchen and bathrooms were. Mildly unsanitary, I know.
I was just about to enter the kitchen when someone bumped me from behind, causing the bin to slip from my hands and crash to the floor, spilling the dishes. Nothing broke, luckily, but that didn’t do much to brighten my mood.
“Watch it busboy!” a shrill voice that was about as obnoxious as you could get called. I didn’t bother looking up as three sets of Stilettos sauntered past me, but someone in black flats stayed behind.
“I’m sorry about her, Hunter,” Someone said. I looked up and was face to face with Aspyn again, her orange locks curled today, her blue eyes sparkling with remorse. Any anger I had dissipated almost instantly, and I was a deer again as she knelt in her skirt, helping me clean up the mess.
Not wanting to look stupid again I said, “Its ok. Happens a lot.” It happened about as many times as you see a shark in the Jackson Hole Community Pool. But no sense telling Aspyn that.
She was wearing a denim jacket today, a dress-not a skirt- and leggings. She gave me another beautiful smile when she put the last cup into the bin.
“Haley can be…” she trailed off looking for a word.
“Rude? Snobbish?” I filled in with a smile. Aspyn giggled and nodded.
“Among other things, yeah,” She said. We both laughed then, and I held out my hand to help her up. She crooked and eyebrow in a cute, kiddish sort of way, but put her hand in mine as I helped lift her from the ground.
“I’m nothing if not a gentlemen,” I said in my best Jersey boy voice. I had no idea where any of this was coming from either. I never acted like this, never felt so uplifted, and yet, with Aspyn, it was easy. Like I was my old self again, easy. That’s all I ever wanted to be again.
“Aspyn!” someone called. We both flinched and dropped our hands immediately, turning to the sound. Haley walked with such a flourish it looked comical, striding right up to me.
“I thought I told you to watch it! And Aspyn, what are you doing talking to him?” Haley asked, looking outraged.
“I was just helping him pick up,” Aspyn practically whispered. She was staring at the floor, avoiding any eye contact with Haley.
I felt anger tighten my chest. Aspyn didn’t do anything wrong. She was being polite. And the way she was acting, like a scolded child, made me want to kill Haley. If Haley was a guy, I would’ve knocked the he-Haley to the floor by now.

I wrapped my arm around Aspyn’s tiny waist. “We’re dating now, didn’t you know?” I said, covering for her. Haley looked like I really had sucker punched her.
“Yeah right-You two?” Haley stuttered. I almost thought she was gonna cry when she burst out into laughter. I simply tightened my hold on Aspyn, watching Haley with narrow eyes.
“Hunter,” Aspyn whispered, putting a hand on my chest. I merely smiled. She was so much shorted then me, her head only reaching to about my shoulder.
“I’ll handle this kid,” I whispered back, giving her a reassuring smile. She gave a small grin, and we waited patiently for Haley to stop laughing.

“Ok ok, man, you really got me there kid! Man, that just made my day,” She said, wiping tears of joy from her eyes.
“I wasn’t joking.”
Haley did a double take. She narrowed her eyes and stared at me angrily.
“What do you mean? Aspyn, what the hell are you doing with him?” Haley practically growled. Aspyn glared angrily at Haley. Seriously, who did this chick think she was? Aspyn’s mom?
“You aren’t the boss of me Haley. Back off,” Aspyn said with an air of finality. Haley huffed, and opened her mouth but no sound came out. Frustrated, she stomped her foot and spun away, storming off in the opposite direction.
Aspyn and I burst into laughter the second she walked away.
“Oh my God! That was hilarious!” Aspyn giggled. Even her laugh sounded like a five year olds at Disneyland.
It took me a second to realize my arm was still wrapped around Aspyn’s waist. I awkwardly tried to pull my hand back, but the moment I did, Aspyn stopped giggling. She just smiled and me and held my hand in hers.
“Thank you. It’s hard for me to stand up to Haley sometimes,” She told me.
“Welcome. But why?” I asked, genuinely curious. She smiled wider.
“What time do you get off?” Aspyn asked. I shrugged.
“Uh eleven. Were open twenty-four hours on Friday and Saturday. Why?” I asked, skeptical.
“I’ll be here when your shift ends. We’ll get some food, my treat. And I’ll tell you then,” She said, before pecking my cheek and walking away. I thought about Maya, but our mother would probably be passed out in her room and I’d left some food in the fridge that she could heat up. I could stay, just for a little while right?
“Hunter! Hurry it up with those dishes!” Ray yelled. I sighed, but it was a content, happy kind of sigh. Not much could take me down from this cloud of happiness I was sitting on.