Love on the Plains

Author's note: I used to watch westerns alot and I just wanted to use my knowledge of Indians and mix it with...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I used to watch westerns alot and I just wanted to use my knowledge of Indians and mix it with some of my creativity and find out what exactly I could do with something this realistic.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Family Among the Tribe

Mother and Aunt Caroline made the choice to come back with us but they had to see Father and Uncle Jacob die. Those two were too hard headed for their own good in the end. My cousins had no choice but to come with Aunt Caroline since she’s their mother and all. Their hands and feet were still bound when we reached the village; the warriors took them and set them down next to the pasture and the river until we could set up a teepee for them. I slid off Little Paint and straightened my pelt-made dress. I strode over to where my family sat and knelt down between Mother and Aunt Caroline.
“I still don’t understand it Lacey. How could you just let your father and uncle die like that?” Mother asked me, her eyes brimmed with tears and her face worn with worry and stress.
“Those two had their chance and they also made their choices, oh and my name isn’t Lacey anymore…it’s Lona. This in Cheyenne means beautiful.” I explained to her as calmly as I could.
“You’re still Lacey to me.” She said turning her head away from me.
“Mother, I could’ve stayed here and let them kill you all. But I didn’t; I insisted on tagging along and saving all you ignorant people that I call family!” I said, my voice getting higher in pitch at the end.
“Ignorant? Oh no, we’re not ignorant but you on the other hand, you are! I’m starting to think you’re mentally ill as well!” My cousin, Anna yelled at me.
“Mentally ill? No, just happy.” I retorted at her. She rolled her eyes and I knew it was just a matter of time that she’d end up like me; after all she is only two years younger than me.
“Whatever Lacey; just don’t come crying to me when you end up pregnant and alone.” She said turning her head to look at the river. Just then I felt strong, warm arms wrap around me and knew it could only be Minninnewah. I turned around and wrapped my arms around his torso, and we stood there in front of what was left of my family and let them gawk until their hearts’ content. We went back to our teepee, leaving my family to wonder about their futures among the Cheyenne tribe. We settled on his mat and I was in front of him, leaning my head on his shoulder. I turned my head to look at him and he leaned down and crushed his lips to mine. It was magic, it felt like sparks flew and a keg of gunpowder blew up. His lips trailed from my mouth to my neck and then down to my collarbone and back up to my lips again. His torso was already bare, so the only work that needed done there was for me. His hands went from my thighs and worked their way up to my hips and further up still until my clothes were lying on the end of the mat. I fell into the easy, natural rhythm that was love and bliss.