Freedom Fries

Author's note: Something that inspired me to write this was when my abusive father kicked me out, so then I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Something that inspired me to write this was when my abusive father kicked me out, so then I experienced a lot of problems. I was really glad my family was there for me.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Friday, September 20th- September 22th

Friday, September 20th-Sunday September 22nd
My face eventually started healing, but I went to school with a few bruises, and of course everybody asked what happened. Normally when they would ask, I would brush them off but I definitely told Ben and Trinity. It felt good to talk about though, because Ben and Trinity know how my dad was and how undependable he was. I tried to put all my problems aside, since it was French Fry Friday and I wanted to enjoy my French fries. While Ben and I were sitting in Art class, we started talking about who I was going to live with, knowing that Derek can’t really provide for us. I kept thinking we were going into a foster home or something of that nature, but I was trying to think on the bright side. While I walked out of Elective, I was rushing to lunch, and it almost looked like running. I saw other kids running too, but I was determined to be first in line, and I was. I stood there and every other kid looked at me with pure envy in their eyes. I just stood there in pure excitement, and I could smell the fries.
I got my fries and paid, and the lunch ladies asked me what happened because they rarely ever see me hurt. I just walked away, and waited for Ben to come to the lunch table. Once he finally got there we just talked and then out of nowhere, Derek and a few of his friends came over to eat lunch with us. I was in so much shock, but it made me feel really good. Derek made me happy, and Ben was laughing really hard every time I laughed. It was pretty funny, and all of his friends looked at me like ‘I’m glad he’s happy.’
Saturday
When I woke up the next morning, I woke up in a happy mood, and I could hear Derek in the living room watching T.V. and eating breakfast. I came out there and when I looked at Derek, it looked like he had been crying so I walked over there, trying to get a better look, thinking I just had fuzz in my eyes. When I finally got close enough, Derek had been crying, but it was because he was watching a chick flick type movie. I started laughing, and then went on the computer to check my email, especially since I get emails from the School Council. Once I logged on, I saw an urgent message alert on my laptop’s screen. I clicked it, and it happened to be from Trinity, and this made me worried. I clicked on it, and started reading as quick as possible. The email said that School Council made a terrible decision(well terrible to us), and that I’d find out tomorrow in an email from the Council. I replied back, saying “Thanks for the ahead-of-time notice.”
Once I sat down on the couch, someone came knocking on the door, so I got up to get it, knowing that Derek would refuse to answer it himself. I opened the door, and saw my best friend, Kylie standing at the door. She was wearing a blue beanie, a blue and gray flannel shirt, tan cargo shorts, and black vans. She looked really good, including the fact that she always does.
“Hey Carter! Since I was absent on Wednesday, can I copy your math notes?” she asked.
I welcomed her into the apartment, and said of course. After she came in, she yelled hey Derek at Derek and he started laughing. I asked her to follow me upstairs to the office, where my math notebook was. When we got upstairs and to the desk, she sat down in the chair and started copying the notes into her notebook. While she was writing we started talking about school and which teachers we think are mean. During our conversation, she said she didn’t understand a math problem, so I grabbed another chair, and sat by her to help her out. Once I helped her out, she looked at me and our eyes locked. Her breath made my senses tingle, but then she turned back to her notebook. We both started giggling, and she hurried to finish the notes. Once she was done, she had to hurry home, so I decided to walk her home. While we were walking she talked about her insecurities, and I stopped in mid-step.
“Don’t ever call yourself ugly! You’re beautiful the way you are, Kylie!” I shouted towards her, walking closer towards her.
“You really think that?” she said, getting kind of choked up. I walked up to her, bent down a little, and kissed her. It felt so passionate, and she kissed back. After the kiss, we both sort of laughed. We continued walking to her place, and I was just very shocked that she kissed me back.
“Sorry, it was just an impulsive action...I...I..” I said, apologetically and starting to trail off.
“It’s ok, Carter. I kinda liked it, but we’re just friends right?” She asked.
“Well if that’s what you want to be, then yeah.” I said trying to leave the decision up to her. She took her hand, and our fingers intertwined. So I guessed that she wanted to be more than friends. Once we eventually got to her place, she smiled at me, blew me a kiss, and walked in the door. I walked home, dancing my way there, out of pure joy. I skipped through the door, and Derek was shocked that I was so happy.
“Did she fall in love with you?” He asked.
“Yeah she did. I never thought that she would like me.” I said, honestly thinking.
“Of course she would like you, you guys have so much in common, and you’re a great little brother!” He said, hugging me. After he let go, I went into my room and surfed the internet. Then I came across an amazing idea, well it was amazing to me anyway. I really liked this song, and I love this artist named Skrillex, and he does dubstep. So I started thinking that if he can do that, I should try it. I downloaded a program on my computer to at least try it. When it got to around 4:00pm, I had made a masterpiece of a techno song. I felt so honored and proud, and as I went to show it to Derek, the phone rang. When I went to look at the Caller ID, it just showed a number. I let it go to voicemail, because I’m really cautious about stuff like that. I went over to Derek’s room, and I bursted into the room, and he got scared and jumped. This made me laugh but I was more excited to show him the song.
“DEREK! Listen to what I made!” I shouted excitedly.
I pressed play on my laptop, and the song sounded amazing. He starting bobbing his head to the beat. I could tell he really enjoyed, which made me happy.
“Great job, Carter! That sounds really good, probably better than any other mixtape I’ve ever heard.” He said, and I felt that he might have been over exaggerating it. I thanked him, and I went back into my room. Once I settled down at my desk, I grabbed a blank CD and burned the song on there. For the rest of the day, I just hung out with Derek, watching TV.
Sunday
I woke up, with my head hanging off the couch, and Derek had passed out on the table. There was popcorn, and candy wrappers everywhere, along with soda cans scattered across the kitchen floor. I, honestly, couldn’t remember what happened last night. I sat up right on the couch, and saw some cookie dough on the walls of the hallway. I was shocked, and amazed that just Derek made this all possible. I stood up and shook Derek until he woke up. Once he was fully awake, we both made a bowl cereal.
“Dude what happened last night?” I asked, in between a spoonful of Munchies.
“You don’t remember? We were listening to music, and then we invited a lot of friends over! We started playing video games, eating stuff, and we had food fight. It was fun!” he said, while slurping up the milk on his spoon. After eating, I ran up to my room to my email. Once I logged on, I saw an email from the School Council. I opened it, hoping that Trinity was just playing around about the terrible news. She wasn’t, and the email was very flabbergasting. It said that Dylan... would be cutting French Fry Fridays. Right after I read it, Derek came bursting through the door of my room, with his jaw dropped too.
“THERE IS NO WAY THEY ARE REMOVING FRENCH FRY FRIDAYS!!” I shouted.
“Well we’re going to have to protest. If you really want something, you gotta fight for it.” Derek said, sounding extremely serious. I forwarded the message to all the kids at my school with a message stating that it’s time to protest. It went out on email blast. For the rest of the day, Derek came up with a plan.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »