Life's Long Journey: Cindy's Choice

Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece when I read an article about the 9/11 attack. I was fascinated...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I was inspired to write this piece when I read an article about the 9/11 attack. I was fascinated and completely scared after reading it. I decided to write about a girl's journey after she was being affected by the attack, as well.
I hope people will understand that real people are going through or have gone through something similar, sometimes resulting in something far worse then becoming Gothic. I hope people will be able to put themselves in Cindy's shoes and figure out how they would deal with a loved one dying. I hope people will learn and love my story!  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »

September 11, 2001 7:57 p.m.

Chapter 6
September 11, 2001 7:57 pm

Cindy didn’t eat supper that night. After she heard the message, she immediately ran to the TV and turn it on. She had to find out what had happened in New York. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Before her, on TV, was playing out the terror that had happened earlier in New York. The Twin Towers had been sabotaged. Slammed into by planes overtaken by terrorists. This can’t be! It really WAS her mother’s plane! She ran into her bedroom and cried. Cindy couldn’t believe her mother was dead. She refused to believe her mother was dead. Just lost. Somewhere. Cindy was consumed with grief. The next day, she didn’t go to school. She couldn’t go to school. For two weeks, she didn’t go to school. She rarely ate. Her grades slowly came down. Teachers began to question where she was. The principal even came to her house. She didn’t answer. No one knew where she was or what had become of her. Cindy finally answered the phone three days later. It was Social Services.
“Hello? Cynthia Tarry? Is this you?“ the voice inquired. “I am Vector Greene from Social Services. I am scheduled to pick you up tomorrow around 8:30 a.m. Please be ready. Miss Tarry?”
Cindy put down the phone. She didn’t want Social Services to come get her. She didn’t want to talk to anyone. She just wanted her mother back. Cindy curled into a ball on the living room sofa. She hated what she said to her mother. She knew she had been angry. Why did she have to speak like that to her mother?