Home > Novel (Fiction) > Other Novels > Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

CarrieAnn13
Romeo and Juliet--A Parody
Summary: Juliet Capulet is just your average teenage girl until a chance meeting at a community dance changes her life forever. She meets Romeo Montague, who immediately starts stalking her, claiming they are meant to be together. For Juliet, this is just too much; she calls the police. How did such a story inspire the great William Shakespeare? It's not how you think!

Medina D. said...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:38 am:
Hi Carrie :) i loved the humor in this story, though i noticed how each chapter got shorter and shorter. I wished the story was longer. I noticed 1 or 2 spelling mistakes also. But overall, i DID like this parody :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm :
Thanks for feedback, Medina D.  Where did I make spelling mistakes, though?

Medina D. replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 11:15 am :
i only found 2. Favourite (i wasnt sure if you meant to spell it that way) and i THOUGHT you spelled nobly wrong but I was wrong. I'm sorry :S

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm :
That's okay.  But Medina, I'm Canadian (eh?).  Up here we spell 'favorite' 'favourite.'  It's you Americans that keep spelling it wrong! ;)

Sweet_DeceitThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 3:59 pm:

Ahahahaha, this is just classic, and in the most original way, haha! Very amusing. I agree with introducingshelby that the dialogue is wonderful, and the whole concept is so new!

The only criticism I have is that it seems to get off to a shaky start, and some of the action seems plain and forced. 'Course, I can see how an avid reader of Romeo and Juiet would see it differently, but to someone who's pretty much just aquainted with the basis of the story, I ju... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 4:03 pm :
Thanks for the comment, Sweet_Deceit.  I know, my parody is a little random, but that's just my kind of quirky humour.  Thank you for the criticism too; I'll definitely keep it in mind next time I write.

Tink1350 said...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 1:40 pm:
Great job. this is HILARIOUSLY WRITTEN and i love the polt. Shakesphere following them and writing the story is really interesting. And I was wondering ifnyou could read and rate and comment on my book please!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 18, 2011 at 2:02 pm :
Thanks for the comment, Tink1350!  And sure, I'll read, rate and comment on your book.

introducingshelby said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:44 pm:
The dialouge that you've written in this novel.. it's HILARIOUS. I love the way it plays out, and the plot is really, really clever. I'm still yet on the first chapter, and I haven't any suggestions yet! Thumbs up c:

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 9:47 pm :
Thanks, introducingshelby!  I really appreciate the time you're taking to read my novel.  And yes, I like to think my dialogue is the best part of the novel. :)

ChelzRulz said...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 1:26 pm:
I love it!!!  I thought it was so creative especially how Shakespeare is watching- so clever!  Also, love modern teenage era twist .  The only thing I'd say is to make your sentences stronger- more characterization too.  Great job!  I enjoyed it :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 14, 2011 at 4:25 pm :

Thanks, Chelzrulz!  I appreciate the time you took to read my novel. 

I know my characterization wasn't very strong (I did write this in only five hours) and in the future I'll fix that.  But how do you think I should make my sentences stronger?

ArgonElement replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 11:46 am :
First time I ever saw Romeo being creepy. Awesome!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 1:30 pm :
Thanks! :)  Romeo isn't creepy in the original, but he comes off that way to the modern reader.

musicalmolly said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:46 am:

Hilarious! If this was the version of Romeo and Juliet that we read in my English 1 class, I would have enjoyed it much more. I like your idea of not describing them to have people keep their original image. The beginning was a little confusing to me, and I only caught on when you told us who the mysterious stranger was in the shrubs (William Shakespeare). I didn't understand the Miranda and Betty part until you explained it in the comments. That was very clever of you. And I liked the whole ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:17 pm :
Thanks so much, musicalmolly!  I appreciate the time you took to read my novel and I apologize for the Shakespeare parts being confusing, but this was my very first submission.  I wish they had kept the italic format I had.

musicalmolly replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm :
For a first submission, I thought it was excellent! Yeah, if it was in Italics, I might have been able to follow along. And granted, I did read this earlier in the morning, so I might not have been completely functional yet. Hahaha :)

AvengedJasonfoldForever said...
Jun. 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm:

J7X Feedback: you asked for it!

I used to call this simon feedback but J7X is only 3 letters and I am lazy. However one thing that I am very incredibly passionate about is comedy and I've studied the art of satire to the point where I actually taught a 12th grade honors english class how to write a good satire after my "high school survival guides" caused a stir... 

all credibility aside I think this story shows promise for you as a writer but not necessarily a satirist. I ... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 12:27 am :

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel, AvengedJasonfoldForever.  I really appreciate your criticism as well.

But I would like to point out that I did emphasize character traits, at least in some characters.  Romeo, for example, was sort of a creepy stalker in the original play.  For my novel, I made him a real stalker.

I don't particularly enjoy writing comedy and I know I'm not particularly good at it either.  This was my first and likely last attempt ... (more »)

AvengedJasonfoldForever replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 9:53 am :

If you don't enjoy writing something then why bother?

And if you look at Shakespeare's characterization of Romeo, nothing about him is supposed to be creepy. A modern audience might see his actions as creepy, but since the other characters--especially Juliet don't see them as creepy, he isn't a creep. He's an exaggerated young lover and so is Juliet. They're both comedic characters. But you interpreting him as a creeper can work in a parody, but in order to do that you'd have to make h... (more »)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 2:14 pm :

1.  I bothered to write it for an English assignment, then I posted it on Teen Ink just to see what other people thought of it.  It was a kind of "Whatever, I'll see how this goes" moment.

2.  You definitely have a point about the characterization.

3.  Excuse me for shuddering, but I am terrible at writing romances.  The thought of writing one makes me ill, actually.  I really don't like Twilight, so I'm not sure if that comparison is a compl... (more »)