Romeo and Juliet--A Parody

Author's note: I wrote this as a final assignment for our Romeo and Juliet novel study in English. I hope...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this as a final assignment for our Romeo and Juliet novel study in English. I hope people will help me by giving me a bit of constructive criticism about plot, pacing, writing technique, dialogue, etc.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Something Exciting

The stranger had spent a good half of the night in the shrubs, writing the romantic scene between Romeo and Juliet. He was so exhausted that he had fallen asleep in the shrubs and didn’t wake up until it was almost noon.
“Something exciting is afoot! I can sense it in the air. The waters of tension are boiling over and I sense a tragic outcome of today.”
“There is young Juliet and her friends; I must follow them. Doom is drawn to her beauty like a moth to a flame.”

“Why’re you so tired, Juliet?” Cat asked.
“I was up until midnight at the dance; then I didn’t fall asleep until four in the morning.”
“Were you thinking about the cute guy from the dance?”
“Don’t be stupid, Cat,” I snapped. “I just couldn’t get to sleep, that’s all.”
“Well, my dad says they still haven’t caught him.” Cat’s dad was a cop. “He must be good if he’s still on the run.”
“I hope they catch him; he’s probably severely mentally ill. He needs help.”
“And if you weren’t dating Paris you would have gone out with him, wouldn’t you?”
“No! Cat, he was stalking me. Get it through your head: I don’t like him!”
“Whatever you say.” Cat stopped abruptly and stared at the convenience store. “Look who’s coming this way.”
I squinted to see who she was looking at. “Miranda and Betty? What’s the big deal?”
“They made a fool of me in front of my boyfriend.”
“Calm down; you don’t really want to fight.” I tried to soothe her bad mood.
“Yes I do! They have to learn that they can’t get away with whatever they want.” She smiled briefly. “They’re heading right this way.”
“Let’s go, Cat.”
I grabbed her arm and tried to steer her away, but she stood firm. A vicious yet arrogant look was planted firmly on her features. There was no stopping her, not when she was in this mood.
“Hey Catherine, how’s your boyfriend?” Miranda, the shorter one asked. She knew full well Cat hated her full name.
“He’s doing fine, but he’d be a lot better if he didn’t have to see your ugly face every day.”
Miranda flew at Cat, ready to fight. But Cat was ready for her and she had taken three years of judo; she was more than a match for Miranda. In a matter of seconds, Miranda was on the ground and Cat didn’t even have her hair out of place. So much for a dramatic fight between two rivals.

The man was watching the whole scene from a spruce tree a few feet away. He scowled, disappointed in such behaviour from women. How much more exciting would it have been if it were men duelling each other!
“Juliet’s friend, this ‘Cat’, shall be called Tybalt. Tybalt, the king of cats!” he smiled and wrote it down.
“Oh, happy fortune! The love-stricken Romeo is coming this way.” He carefully climbed down from the tree to greet the young man. “Prithee, lad, what ails thee?”
“Huh?”
The man furrowed his brow; this lad was a bit slow. “You are a love-stricken lad with nothing to look forward to here. Pray, come with me and be a part of my great tragedy called ‘Romeo and Juliet.’ My theatre performs plays for the Queen herself!”
“Sure, I’ll come with you.” He sighed. “Anything is better than sticking around here with the cops after me.”
So the two men went back to where the stranger had appeared just the other night.
“What’s your name, by the way?” Romeo asked the man.
“Shakespeare. William Shakespeare.”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

Tbug1997 said...
i really like this im adding it to my favs

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm :
Thanks so much! :)

holysunshine replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 7:20 am :
I really enjoyed your story.. you should write moree!!!!!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 7:57 am :
Thanks for commenting! :)  But I'm not going to write more, not on this story anyway.

UNserieswriter said...
great spin off!! whats your fav shakespeare?! please comment on my story it would mean a lot. graci!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 9, 2011 at 7:50 pm :
I don't really read Shakespeare, but I think 'Julius Caesar' would be my favourite.  What story would you like me to commet on?

alanna_mcc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wait, how does Romeo end up living in medeival England if this story took place in modern-day? Anyway, I loved the Shakespeare part thats hilarious i love how you described Shakespeare writing the story. also, romeo as a stalker?! NICE!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 6:47 pm :
Thanks for the comment! :)  But I think you missed the part where Shakespeare takes Romeo back to Medieval England with him.

alanna_mcc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 7:04 pm :
oh. guess so.

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 17, 2011 at 9:25 pm :
No worries. :)  I really appreciate the time you took to read my novel.  Is there anything of yours you'd like me to read?

Nov. 27, 2011 at 12:42 pm :
YES! everything lol :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Nov. 27, 2011 at 1:49 pm :
Sorry, I don't have time to read everything.  Could you name two or three things you'd like me to read instead?

Dec. 14, 2011 at 5:13 pm :
you should look at my page and click on things that look interesting....that'd be cool. oh, and read "starting over" thx :)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Dec. 14, 2011 at 6:23 pm :
Sure!  I'm right on it. :)

my.freedom.lies.in.free.verse This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 15, 2011 at 11:17 pm :
kewl :) tell me what you think!!

Joyce_Cankar said...
Very easy and fun to read. Have you ever seen the play "Good night Desdemona, good night Juliet"? Well, anyways, it has some vibe such as that. 

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 8:42 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)

JillianNora said...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 11:00 am:
Very cute! I love how you included Shakespeare in the story. I really like how you have Juliet respond to Romeo:) and it's really well written! I couldn't find one grammatical error. Great job!! (if you're bored, I'd love some feedback on my novel "Stuck in the Past":)

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 8:41 pm :
Thanks for commenting! :)  And don't worry about the feedback for feedback, I'm getting to it.  But alas, volleyball season.

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

You weren't kidding when you put humor as one of the tags for this book!

I really liked this book! It was well-written and hilarious!

I wrote two stories; they're in the thriller/mystery section. I'd really like you to read them and give me some feedback.

Keep up the good writing!