Home > Novel (Fiction) > Other Novels > comprehension

comprehension

WritinGirl
comprehension
Summary:

Disappeared. That's what they told her. Her parents were gone without a trace. After all, some kids just aren't good enough for their parents. Skye believed them. She wasn’t good enough for them, and she'll never be good enough for anyone.
She doesn’t know that she’s smarter than anyone history has ever known. Why should she? It’s been pounded into her skull since the age of 5 that she’s worthless. An idiot. Undeserving of any good thing life could offer. Stuck in a foster agency that thrives beneath the notice of the law, she has no idea that she’s different from the rest. The agency makes sure of that. Nobody crosses them. And nobody runs to the police. Suffering through abuse, hate, and near starvation, she battles to survive in a world where trust equals weakness, and weakness equals pain. She's a genius. But all she feels is alone.

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

JtatsuThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 18 at 10:04 pm
I practically sped through this novel because I just couldn't tear my eyes away. Your characterization for Skye is phenomenal. It was really easy getting into her mentality. I'm curious as to what time period this story takes place. Is this present day? The future (the part where Mandy called her by number gave me a bit of a science fiction vibe, although it might just be me)? Are her 'caseworkers' exploiting her intelligence or are they just as oblivious to it as Skye is? Please add more, I'd l... (more »)

WritinGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sep. 27 at 11:43 pm
Yes! Thank you so much! This story does take place in present day, although I can see where the scifi vibe comes in with the number! Just another way of showing how little the agency cares about their wards. Her caseworker is just as oblivious to her brain as Skye is--nobody has ever really given her the chance to show how smart she is. Thanks again for such a great comment, and thanks for pointing out the "your/you're" mistake!

anonymous06This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 13 at 4:16 pm
Such a sad book so far, but cleverly written. I love the fact that she's a genius through all of it, but fails to notice. I hope you keep this story going. If it wouldn't be a problem, would you mind reading through at least the first few chapters of my novel, Midnight (it's long so I don't expect you to read it all if you don't want to). Thanks!

Aug. 15 at 3:35 pm
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment--I really appreciate it! I have actually finished the entire novel (well, just a draft--I know there's a lot that probably needs to be fixed), so I'll be uploading chapters over the next few weeks. I'll totally check out Midnight--we'll see how far I get! :) Thanks again