In The Company of Death

Author's note: An experiment into writing war horror, I first came up with the idea shortly after watching "Good...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: An experiment into writing war horror, I first came up with the idea shortly after watching "Good Morning Vietnam" on HBO. It was initially a Creative Writing assignment, but grew into a story I'm proud of.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Dachau

February 21st, 1945
Dachau Concentration Camp

My entire family was dead.

My brother and sister were sent to the showers, as the soldiers had promised. They didn’t come back, never. I knew they were dead, as I saw his shoe, his special one with the embroidery, in the piles of shoes that they scrounged from the dead.

My mother was shot to death for trying to protect me. A soldier started to yell at us. Mother told me that he wanted me to go to the mines. The SS soldier grabbed my arm, and my mother defended me. She was thrown into a fire pit after being shot. I hoped she wasn’t still alive when she was burned.

My father was a hard worker, being a cobbler and later a carpenter. We lived in the same excuses for shanty huts, with only 1 instance of us being apart. He was my hope, my reason to keep going. When I was taken away, his reason to live went with me. When I lived under the ground, survivors told of his passing. I never shed a tear. I shed them all already.

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Tyler c said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:54 am:
Great book it seems so good best book ever. I thought it was good because how the charachter was so brave in the book.