The Girl of Many Names

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Used

The day when I would 'find out soon enough' came soon enough. But not after I had proven myself a good wife to Jaque. I tried to fight him, but doing so was so tiring that I soon gave up and became a mechanical wife. Nothing I did for him was because I loved him, in fact at first I despised him. But I had hoped that if I proved myself worthy he would let me go.
“ Claire-”
I still hadn't gotten used to this strange name. 'It's Bella!' I wanted to scream. But of course, I nodded. “ Yes Cher Jaque” Sickeningly sweet.
“ The day has come.”
He needn't had said what that day was. I knew. This was the day that I had been waiting this year for.
“ What do I need to do?” As nervous as I was, I was excited as well. After he used me for the purpose intended, he would have no further use for me. Then I intended to run home to Fernan.
“ Well, what I need you to do is simple. Marie has already been informed that I have her daughter and since I'm sure that she won't want Louis to know about you, but won't want you to die-”
“ Die? What do you intend to do to me Cher Jaque?” I asked in horror. I began to back away from him. I thought about running away, but then I remembered I was still locked in my room.
“ It's a shame really, but it must be done,” he said almost to himself.
“ What must be done?” I asked hysterically.
He looked up from the floor. “ If things don't go as planned you will end up at the bottom of the sea my Claire. Now don't cry-”
Tears were pouring out as abundantly as the sea, which would be where I would most likely end up in a number of hours.
“ How did you even get word to Marie? How do you know she would believe you?”
“ Because I am a count. Of course she will believe me, but if not, I suppose the mermaids will love to have a maiden friend.”
“ But. But I'll be dead.” I said almost to myself. The realization had just completely sunk in. \
“ Yes, but that's a risk I'm willing to take. Now don't look so forlorn, if everything goes well we'll have an abundance of money!”
“ Yes Cher Jaque, the word of importance there is 'if'.”

“ Claire-”
“ The day has come.”
“ Don't interrupt. It's a shame really, but it must be done,” he said quietly.
He looked up from the floor. He stood up from the love seat and began to pace back and forth, his shoes making loud clunking sounds on the rickety floor. “ I will have Marie over for tea. After tea we will go to the Aisne river for a stroll. If Marie doesn't give me ransom, then I will hoist you into a boat, and tie you down with weights. If she still doesn't well-” He sighed heavily. “ If she still doesn't give me ransom then you will end up at the bottom of the river my Claire. I can't have her thinking that I am weak. Now don't cry-”
Tears were pouring out as abundantly as sea that I was doomed to be drowned in.
“ Because I am a count, and Louis' friend. I have every right to have tea with her. Maybe she will be so grateful for me not telling her husband that she will pay a large ransom.”
“ But... But if she doesn't then I'll be dead.” I said almost to myself. The realization had just completely sunk in.
“ Yes Cher Jaque, the word of importance is 'if'.”

Artsygirl said...
Jul. 14, 2011 at 8:49 am:
Sorry that the chapters doubled. I don't know what happend there :(

Artsygirl said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 11:53 am:
Thanks! I kinda of just wrote the story as it popped into my head. I'm so glad you liked it!

Bookworm1 said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:11 am:
Loved it!! It was exciting! I'd have liked it if she punched Jaque at the end though, he deserved it! Sad also that she didn't end up with Fernan! But i loved Adela/Bella/Claire!

Artsygirl said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 8:32 am:
Thank you to the first person who voted my book a 5! I really appreciate your feedback!