The Underground Railroad

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Chapter 2

Beatrice finally got to the David Plantation after a day of being tossed around in the old wagon. She had to listen to children crying, adults groaning, and the sound of the wagon bumping along the old dirt road.
When Beatrice got out of the wagon, she nearly fell to her feet. Her legs felt weak, and all she wanted to do was to go home, no matter how harsh it was back there. But just as soon as everyone had gotten out of the wagon, a man came along with a big whip. Beatrice cringed at the sight of him. He was tall, and held the whip in his hand like he was born with it.
“Alright everyone,” the man said, “My name is David as some of you well know. You are here to do my work, so you had better do it well. Or you will have to answer to this!” While he said that he waved his whip in the air. In the back Beatrice thought she heard an old woman gasp with fright, and felt sorry for her. Why should he be able to treat elder people this way? It was not right. Somehow, Beatrice thought, I will change this, no matter what it takes.
“Follow me everyone, let me introduce you to your new…friends.” David’s voice burst into Beatrice’s thoughts. No matter what, Beatrice vowed, I will change this.