New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

After William

Author's note: I got the idea of a controlling mother from the movie Titanic. I also love the idea of historical...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I got the idea of a controlling mother from the movie Titanic. I also love the idea of historical fiction. I admire authors who can take historical facts and twist them in a way that makes a totally different story no one could have thought of. There is also a poster of William Shakespeare in my English classroom that got me thinking about William Shakespeare  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

"I wasn't brave enough"

Mother and I got into the carriage and we were off to the party. The windows had their drapes over them, but the frigid December air still managed to get into the small compartment. I moved one of the curtains to close it more securely and saw a puppet show on the side of the street. There were children sitting in front of a small stage and laughing as a puppet moved up and down by the controlling strings of its master. I shivered and pulled my coat tighter around my shoulders.
We pulled up to our destination, and we could hear the sounds of laughter and music. The lights of the house shone like a beacon through the dark night, and despite my fear of whom I was meeting inside, I was eager to get next to a warm fire. Mother got out of the carriage first, and went immediately toward a group of her friends: more middle aged women who kept looking over their shoulders to make sure their own daughters weren’t getting into any trouble, and for fresh gossip. I despised the lot of them.
I took a breath and was about to step from the carriage when I heard our footman say, “You ‘ave three minutes, Tim.” I started at the name he uttered, and sure enough, Tim stepped into the carriage and pulled the door shut.
“Annie,” he whispered. His golden brown hair was falling into his brown eyes as always, and he gave me the grin I could not help but return.
“Oh, Tim, what are you doing here?” I asked him in a tired voice. “You know I am engaged.”
“I know,” he said mischievously. “But that doesn’t really matter to me and you know it.” He gave another grin; the kind of grin of someone caught doing something wrong by someone who won’t punish him.
I wrapped my arms around his neck suddenly, and cried into his shoulder. I couldn’t help myself. The weight of everything that was happening crashed down on me suddenly, and I was too much to bear. He brought his arms around me and rubbed my back in soothing strokes.
“Oh Anne, I’m so sorry,” he whispered into my hair. “I’m so sorry.”
“There’s nothing you can do, you don’t have anything to be sorry for,” I muttered. “I need to marry Ralph or else…” I was at a loss for words. I didn’t want to explain.
“I know, I know,” he said soothingly. He was the only one who really did know; he was the only one I told everything to. I hugged him tighter and then pulled away to look at his face one last time.
“What if you didn’t go in there?” he asked suddenly. He lost his playful look; this was one of the few times I had seen him serious.
“What do you mean?” I asked.
“What if we ran away? Together? We could leave right now and never look back. We could go anywhere we wanted and start our own life together. We could both get jobs and send the money to your mother. She would be able to live, and so would you, and so would I. I don’t think I can live without you, Annie.” He finished his speech by looking into my eyes with the saddest and most desperate look you could see on a human, and for a moment, I saw it. I saw everything that he wanted in his brown eyes. We could build our own house. He could be an editor so he could write like he wanted to. I could sew dresses. We would make a lot of money, and I could send Mother the money she needed. Everyone would be happy. But as quickly as that vision came, it was gone again. I knew I couldn’t do it. I wasn’t brave enough.
“Tim…” I said, trying to find the right words, but I didn’t have to.
“I know, I know,” he said again. He knew me better than anyone in the world, and he would be my true love for all time; I knew that too.
I reached up to my neck and undid my favorite necklace. The gold shone slightly in the dark as I reached it out to him.
“I want you to take this, and always remember me,” I whispered to him. “Please, please never forget me.”
“As long as you promise to never forget me,” he whispered back.
“You know I never could.”
“I know.” He gave me my favorite grin one last time, kissed me one more time, and then left the carriage.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

MayaS. said...
This story was great! I fell in love with Tim at once. I actually did a lot of research on Shakespeare for my book, "The Secretary" (it's set in Elizabethan England and Shakespeare is a character). His family actually lived in Stratford-upon-Avon, not London, and he hardly saw his daughters. Anyway, is there more to this story? Can't wait!!!

BekahBekah said...
This IS wonderfully written, but...I think it could be a little more descriptive. Describe the surroundings a little more, make it a little more vivid...and also, when she meets Ralph, could you have her actually meet him? Actually talk to him? Instead of just having him snub her mother, she could share a few words with him and THEN decide that he was an absolute pig. Or something. (: But really, I think your book is really good. (: 

savetheplanet said...
Wow, this is quite an interesting twist!  I really like Shakespeare so I thought this was really cool! :D

writerfreak21231This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 11:19 am:
That was amazing!! wow that was sooo kewl! I very nice piece of work! great job! I just posted a new story i wrote called: Alien invasion series book one: the caller. If any of u had time please go check it out and post feedback and comments. It would be much appreciated! Thanks! and keep writing everyone! :)(:

SingleRose said...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 3:48 pm:
That was amazing! I kept forgetting you were a teenager writing it, great job!

star3x8 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 13, 2011 at 9:35 am:
Great job! I've put part of my novel from the Tudor age up, and it's interesting to see what the era looks like in someone else's views :)

Chans247 said...
Jun. 6, 2011 at 5:07 am:
This is such a good story!!!!! I hope that you keep on posting more chapters!!!! :)

alexbff<3 said...
Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:54 am:

hey Al!!! luv ya!!! AMAZING STORY!! <3 You should definitely write more stories!!! C ya at school :P

-Basil

MR.F said...
May 24, 2011 at 3:50 am:
Sk8erGirl-It is fun to see this here after some time and read the nice comments you have deservedly received. Do keep writing as auntbeth wrote..Congratulations.

writerthinkerdreamer said...

Hey Alex!!!! This rocks, I totally love it!!!! Great read, great plot, great emotion, great everything!!!!

~Jari

auntbeth said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 9:43 am:
I can't wait for Book 2.  Their lives together.  Keep writing.

Aunt Cheryl said...

Alex,   You are simply the best!

I love your work.

lavender said...
ALEX you are awesome!!! and the story was amazingly amazing!!!  Super impressed <3

elimas said...
Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:38 am:

Alex,

What a wonderfully creative story.  Well done!

joeb said...

Very smooth read, I enjoyed it!

joeb

dibarrett said...
Alex, great story!! I love it, good luck to you!

claudia said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 11:13 am:
what a great story, I am so impressed!

JHubbard said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 9:25 am:
Amazing job Alex!  I am so impressed with your writing skills and creativity! Good luck!

Kabeyun said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 8:31 am:
What a creative angle for a story!

tina said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 8:02 am:
Wonderful idea and story Alex!