The Sweetest Rum

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 10 11 12 13 Next »

Chapter 12

The doorway was lit by only a small sunlight that came through a small window. I thought maybe the shop was closed but I heard some whistling in the back so I followed the sound, I almost bumped into a small man with a balding head and round spectacles, the tailor.
“Hello, Miss Smith, your mother told me you would coming over. Your getting married I hear.”
169
he looked up at me. “Yes,” I said smiling as I thought of Eli. “I came
to be fitted for a dress.” “Yes, yes.” he nodded checking something in
a book. “ What is the date.” he asked. “August eleventh.” I said wondering if that
was too soon to have a dress finished by. The tailor jumped, startled by the number.
“Well, we will have to work quickly then” he said hastily circling some notes. “Follow me and we will get you measured then pick some fabric and you can pick it up in a week.”
“Thank you!” I said enthusiastically. Wedding gowns took a while to sew together so he must have been doing me a large favor.
The tailor led me abruptly to a step in the middle of a mirror with rooms around it. I stepped up and he began to measure me.
“Any particular style?” he asked dragging out a step stool to stand on to take measurements.
“Simple?” I said unsure of what I wanted.
“Of course it will be simple, with your time limit and the new styles that I am hearing about from London, it will be simple.” He said harshly like I should know better.
I grimaced and tried again. “I think poofy summer sleeves would be nice.” I said.
The tailor motioned for his apprentice to write something down so I must have made a good choice.
“Skirt?” he asked measuring my leg.
“Just plain down, maybe pleated in the front.” I guessed again.
The tailor nodded and motioned me to follow him to his racks of material. I stepped down and
170
followed to the whites. After checking prices I found a cheaply priced
white embossed flower fabric. The tailor wrote some more notes and then told me to see him next monday. I nodded and left the shop. I was so excited, I knew Lily would share in my excitement and I planned to bring her to the final fitting. I more or less danced home in my excitement. The preparations were finished as far as I was concerned mother would have a few more things she would want to do but I could not imagine anything to do now but wait.
The days leading to my wedding were all very similar. Eli would come to my house early in the morning and stay all day unless I had something to be done then he would accompany me on my mission always offering his arm as an escort, and occasionally Lily would attach herself to his other arm. The days were a blur by the time the wedding day reached me, but before the day they seemed to drag out.