Set in Steel

By , Shoreline, WA
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next »

Chapter 6

I creased my new dress between my fingers and flattened it out again, for the fifth time.  I stood in the lobby of the Baker office,  fully of nervousness and excitement for my first day of work.  Just as I was taking a closer look at a framed photograph of a beautiful building, the large glass doors swung open and the same man who picked me up on the first day walked in.  I began to say something, but he cut me off with a surprising smile and guided me into the office. 
The inside of the building was not as detailed and intricate as the outside.  No lavish flourishes decorated the walls, only framed maps of the city hung from the dry, bare grey wall.   Unorganized papers flew out of every bookshelf, and stacks of architecture books lined the walls.  My eyes flew over everything, soaking up the environment.
“Let me finally introduce myself.  I’m John Wheeler.  Your go-to guy for how everything works in this biz.  I can tell you how Larry runs the workplace, what to do, and what not to do.  Now let’s go up!”
“Up?” I ask. 
“On the elevator of course.  How else would we get to the sixth floor?  That’s where you’ll be working, with me and a few other colleagues.”
“Of course..” I replied with hesitation.  I didn’t know that the office even had elevators, but looking down at my new heels, I was relieved.
When we reached the sixth floor, the atmosphere was the same as the first.  The same cold, grey walls with huge maps of the city all over, scattered papers everywhere and the click-clack of heels on tile made the office space feel almost empty.
Mr. Baker greeted us and brought me into his office.  He told me a little more about John, and how much of a ‘lunkhead’ he was, but he emphasized on how he brought talent to the company, just like myself.  He then showed me my desk, which was situated near the back near the elevators. Every time someone came up or down, I would be the first to know with an annoying ‘ding’.  My desk also was unusually isolated from the rest of the groups’.  Johns was not too far away to ask him some questions, but that required a long walk in-between cramped desks, stepping over books and boxes.
Something I hesitated to ask John or Mr. Baker about was the lack of women in the office.  It bothered me that, including myself, there were only two total women in the workplace.  Not only were there very few women, but the climate of the office was dim.  Everyone worked silently, with their heads bent over their books while closely reading or examining maps and photographs.  No cheery laughs occurred, not even a sound, besides the elevator ding.  Just the buzzing from the electric lamps, the click-clack of heels, and the elevator dings filled up the silence, with an occasional turn of a book page.