Set in Steel

By , Shoreline, WA
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

Chapter 2

When we arrived at the gleaming station in New York, I was well rested and prepared for the day.  We exited at the front the of the train again, and while walking through I wasn’t able to locate Henry or his daughters to say goodbye.
I stepped down from the platform and took in my surroundings.  Loved ones embraced each other as they got off the train,  huge stacks of luggage surrounded the wealthy upper-class passengers and I stood in the center of all the organized chaos, looking up at the towering buildings surrounding the train station.  New York was similar to Chicago in being a large city, but I had never been so close to a skyscraper before.
I gathered my things and my composure and headed for the avenue.  From here, an older gentleman from the office picked me up, although he didn’t introduce himself,  and we sat in silence until we arrived. 
The Baker Office of Architecture and Design was a squat building, square with about six levels, and with intricate flourishes spread all around the exterior of the building.  The gentleman who picked me up told me to wait outside on one of the discolored benches for Larry to meet me.  I knew that Larry must be the boss, for he wrote that he would give me a small tour around the city and take me to my apartment to ‘ensure my safety’.  I waited for what seemed like hours, which in reality was only some odd minutes, but that didn’t falter my excitement and anxiousness.
Finally, a man in pinstriped slacks and a slim coat came out, walking directly towards me with an outstretched hand. 
“Hello, you must be Nina.  Welcome!  It’s great to finally meet the young talent in person.”  He declared with a friendly smile and a warm handshake.
“Yes, it’s great to finally meet you too sir.” I replied with a slight sense of intimidation.
“We don’t have much time, the day is passing. Let’s get started on this tour.  I’d like to take you to your apartment and on the way, we’ll pass by some interesting sights.”
“Sounds like a plan. Thank you by the way, I would be completely lost right now if you weren't assisting me.” I explained.
“You’re welcome.  Now let’s start walking or else we’ll miss the cable car!” He exclaimed while taking my shoulder abruptly and walking with a fast pace.
We walked through the most beautiful district to get to the cable car stop.  The buildings were massive, towering over us with shiny windows reflecting back the hot August sun.  People were walking around with a purpose, heading to trolley and cable car stops with their work bags in hand.  I almost felt out of place, with my old, large luggage dragging behind us and bag fumbling around in my arms, but then I remembered that I was walking alongside Lawrence Baker, one of the most well-respected and well-known architects in New York City.