The Wishing Well

Author's note: When I got the idea for this book, I had just learned about the Holocaust, and I read many...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

When I got the idea for this book, I had just learned about the Holocaust, and I read many books about it. The main book that inspired me was The Devil's Arithmetic. So my friend and I planned this all out, and we began to write it together. So i have to give half the credit to my friend, Hannah. We alternated between chapters, so if you see you see a difference in writing ability, that's why. I hope you enjoy!

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences
 « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

The Enemy

“Come on, Paula, Anna! We have to get to the fort before the enemy attacks!” Bruno was running through the backyard with his two sisters trailing behind him. They were all laughing, because they loved playing imaginary war, and they couldn’t contain the bubbling excitement of having the wind blowing in their ears and the fast beating of their hearts.
    “Hold up, Bruno! You’re running too fast!” Bruno could hear his youngest sister, Anna yell to him. He stopped running and stood, crouching over with his hands on his knees, breathing deeply.
    “Okay, Anna! I’ll wait just a little bit.” He panted. Paula jogged up to him and stood with him waiting for Anna to catch up. Bruno watched as his little sister waddled over in the tall grass, even though she is 7 years old. He couldn’t help but smile.
    “Thank you Bruno and Paula for waiting for me,” she said politely, “I had to stop running and tie my shoe. And then I had to start running again. And you know how slow I am when I run.” Anna sat down in the grass and picked a dandelion. She twirled it in her fingers for a little while.
    “I think that’s the longest break we should get. The enemy will surely be close now. Come on! Let’s get to our fort!” Bruno, Paula, and Anna started running again. Anna screamed a fun, yet, frightened scream.
    “The enemy is approaching! The enemy is approaching! AAHHH!”
    “Good thing our fort is in sight! Quick! Get inside!” Bruno said while he stopped running and pointed to the fort which lay just at the entrance to the forest. It was a sad fort. It was just a hut made of wood that was to the point of rotting. It wasn’t in the best shape, and the paint on it which was once a dark green was chipping off. But it was the best thing the kids had.
    Then Bruno turned around to face “The Enemy”. He saw Papa running towards them with his fake, fun growl. But Bruno had time to get inside the fort himself before Papa came.
    So Bruno turned back around and ran for the fort. When he got inside, he found Paula and Anna hiding in the shadow of the corner, trying to contain their laughter. Bruno put his finger to his mouth and shushed them. He went in the corner himself and started to giggle too.
    “Shhh! He’ll find us!” Paula giggled, “Wait. He’s coming to the door of the fort! Shh!”
    Then Papa burst through the door with more of his fake, fun growls. “Where are those kids?” He scratched his head and looked around. The kids silently giggled. Although Papa knew exactly where they were, he still pretended to be unaware.
    Bruno held up three fingers and whispered, “On three. One,” he put down one finger, “Two,” He put down another, “THREE! CHARGE!”
    The kids leapt out from their hiding place and held up finger guns. Papa acted surprised.
    “Bang! Bang! Bang!” Bruno said.
    “Pow! Pow! Pow!” Paula said.
    “Pew! Pew! Pew!” Anna said.
    Papa clutched his chest and fell to the floor, acting dead. His eyes were closed. Then the three kids went over to him, laughing. “We got you, Papa! We got you!” Papa opened his eyes and smiled. Then he got up and picked up Anna. He put his mouth to her belly and blew, making a funny sound. Anna started to laugh really hard.
    “That tickles!” she said. Papa put her down. Then they all walked out the door of the fort with smiles on their faces.
    “Now we got to get you kids home. It’s almost bed-time! Can you believe that? Time sure does fly! Doesn’t it Anna?
    “Yes, Papa. It does . . . Papa! Will you give me a piggy-back-ride home? Please?” Anna begged.
    “Alright my little flower!” so Papa picked her up and put her on his back. They all walked home together and all told the story of the attack from their own points of view. Bruno talked with Papa and his sisters about how his birthday was in about two months, but he was lost in different thought the whole way back home. He was thinking about how his sisters loved this game. He was thinking about how he grew out of it, but played it with his sisters to make them feel better. But then he thought of how he still had lots of fun and laughed a lot in the game, because his sisters were so fun, and their laughs were like treasure to him. Bruno loved his family. He carried a smile all the way back home, and he went to sleep with the smile. He will never forget the evening of July 1st, 1939.

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

This book has 4 comments. Post your own now!

MouseLuverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Coolio book, gurl. can't wait to read more! :)

Anna_Capelli said...
hey hey hey gurl it's me love it!!! waiting for more...heheh

TwiggyD9This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Hey gurl!!!!! Remember, though. It's your turn to right the next chapter!!!

Anna_Capelli replied...
I'll try I'm so busy writing my own stuff too