Path of the Waves: The Tale of Caleb Morrings

Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Chapter I

Aboard the Governor, a ship in the British Navy, 1806

The waves crashed upon the wooden sides of the ship,
“Hey! Hey!” a voice cried defiantly “Let me out! I am an American, I tell you!”
Heavy footsteps resounded overhead. A trapdoor was opened and the head of a British sailor looked down.
“Enough already!” He exclaimed, “I've 'ad enough of your yellin'. You, you and all the other filthy deserters are goin' back where you belong. And I can assure you that Captain won't be pleased to hear any more of your squallin'!
The sailor disappeared. Frustrated, the young man below folded his arms across his chest and plopped onto the deck. His loose brown shirt was soaked with spray from the ocean and his tall boots were stained from the salt. He had tussled oaken-colored hair and eyes the color of stone.
Muttering, the man glanced about him. He was in the bottom of a large wooden ship, one of the British navy. A few barrels were tried down in a corner along with a number of crates full of food and other supplies. A single lantern hung from the ceiling and cast a little light onto the faces of the other men with him. One man in particular, a light-haired sailor sitting near the young man, stared blankly off into space.
A sudden wave rocked the ship. One of the ropes holding the barrels snapped and a large barrel thudded to the ground and rolled towards the sailor. The young man leapt to his feet and grabbed the barrel just before it hit the man. The sailor blinked. He looked up at the young man and nodded quickly. The young man shoved the barrel aside. He looked at the man and waited. Conscious of his presence, the sailor awkwardly met his eyes.
“Well, what do you want?” he asked with a British accent.
“I was hoping for a 'thank you',” the young man said. The sailor nodded. “Thank you.” he said brusquely. The young man smiled and sat down beside him. The sailer looked at him curiously.
“American?” he asked.
The young man nodded. “They didn't believe me when I told them. Now I'm stuck here, in the bottom of a British boat, heading to Great Britain herself.” he said contemptuously.
“Watch it now!” the sailor interceded, “You may be American, but I quite like my Great Britain, even if she has a rotten commander leadin' her navy. I think I could like you, so don't make me hurt you for another remark like that!”
The two man looked at one another. Both were smiling. The sailor extended his hand, “William Calen's my name, by the way.” The American shook his hand, “Caleb. Caleb Morrings. American Navy-man.”
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

This book has 5 comments. Post your own now!

Thalion said...
All right... There you go! Five or six more chapters... I cant remember how many I added. Still not totally finished, but here's what I have.

GhostBeam said...

GhostBeam said...
Its Very Interesting.     The captain is crazy with power, but i guess thats normal.         I like it.       Cant wait to read more.           Good Work.                 Keep Writing.

Thalion said...
If anyone reads this, I have another five chapters. If you want them, comment and let me know! Otherwise, I'm not going to post them until I finish the whole book... Which may not be for a while...

Thalion said...
I am still trying to finish this... I'll keep posting chapters as I write them! And as always, please, please comment and let me know your thoughts!