Shock and Awe | Teen Ink

Shock and Awe

By ttam1, Palm Bay, Florida
ttam1, Palm Bay, Florida

“I don’t think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success….Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.”

-Me

These are words I believe to this very day. I am not a boastful man, in my 86 years of work, I have registered roughly 700 patents. I’ve lost count to be honest. I have lived a lonely existence, never marrying, focusing only on inventing. I reflect now upon this, on how I furthered science and refining alternating current, which lights the world as we know it, and I am filled with a stinging regret.
Although I will never know the feeling of a loving companion I would not change any choice I have made. The feeling I experience when inventing has become an anesthetic to numb the pain of never knowing… Do not be mistaken, I had more than ample opportunity with the fairer sex. I chose this path because an inventor is passionate. By taking a companion. an inventor is wasting that passion that could lead to a new discovery or revolutionizing invention.
I write this because I wish to tell future generations how I took that bastard, Edison, down a peg. First, let me give you some back story. We must first start with the boy. I was born on midnight between July 9th and 10th 1856. I was a farm boy, plain and simple. I roamed with the animals. The ability to invent can be traced to my mother. If she had access to the opportunities life presents she would have done great things. She was an inventor through and through, inventing something to help on the farm or house work. My father was a priest. His countless training of mental calculations, guessing each other’s thoughts, and repeating long sentences were certainly beneficial in developing my skills.
Enough about my family. I care for them deeply, but we must focus on the point of this work I’m currently writing. We must focus on Edison, me, the elephant, and the rest.
It all started on that dreadful Sunday. It wasn’t that the Sunday was awful. Birds singing, sunny skies, construction worker’s making derogatory comments about a passing woman’s behind. Not a bad Sunday at all. The reason it was dreadful was because of that crook. Edison.

“Come on in.” said the large man at the gate. “Watch as Edison shows the dangers of that horrible alternating current in action. Sponsored by the Luna Park Zoo.”
“Dangers. Everything has dangers.” mumbled the man entering the zoo.
The man began making his way toward the crowded area. Two brief cases at his side. The voice of the man trying to attract patrons was becoming nothing but background noise along with the chirps of the various birds and the sound of construction.
While making his way to the crowd he slowed allowing his friend to catch up.
“Hold up, old sport. I’m no spry-chicken.” said the man dressed in a white suit. A small amount of sweat on his brow.
“It’s a scorcher.” Said the man.
“Agreed.” said the man in the white suit. “So” said the man in a hushed town “what’s the plan, Nikola?”
“Find out Edison’s plan and sabotage it by any means necessary.” Said Nikola. “Whatever his plan is to ruin me, I refuse to let it succeed.”
“Right. How do you suggest we go about it?” said the man.
“We’ll seek out Edison. Wherever he is, that’s where his surprise will be. Samuel, you’ll serve as a distraction. Chat up anyone in our way. If that fails we’ll go to Plan B.”
“Very well. But first let’s inquire about some cotton candy.” said Samuel.
The two began to stroll toward the vendors. Many of them were still setting up. The smell of popcorn, cotton candy, frankfurters, and a variety of animals in the air. The crowd a bustle with curiosity over what was Edison’s demonstration. All of them dressed in fancy garments which enhances the contrast with the surrounding environment of loud and smelly animals. They approached the cotton candy stand.
“Good afternoon my good man. I’d like to purchase a blue-cotton candy. How about you Nikola?” Said Samuel.
“Nothing for me.”
“Just the one then.”
“Coming right up sir.” Said the man working the stand. “You excited about Edison’s demonstration? I hear he won’t tell anyone what it is. He wants it to be surprise.”
“That so?” said Nikola.
“Yeah. I’ve been hearing some talk about it from some of the vendors. They say it’s gonna put Tesla out of business.”
“Is that right?” said Nikola speaking slowly, choosing his words carefully, and resisting the urge to throttle the man.
“Here you are sir.” said the vendor handing Samuel the cotton-candy.
“Thank you sir.” Said Samuel paying for the cotton candy.
“You fellas have a nice evening now.”
“We will.” said Nikola.
The two once again began making their way towards the crowd. Nikola in front and Samuel in toe with him. Passing people dressed in fancy clothes and masks. They passed under the Luna Park gates the both of them speaking in hushed tones.
“Samuel you should take this.” said Nikola handing Samuel one of the brief cases he was holding.
Samuel opened the case and said “What sort of contraption is this?”
“The boy’s at warehouse 12 call it a tesla.”
“A tesla, smashing. What’s it do?”
“It creates an electric charge. I don’t want to go into full detail. Use it only to incapacitate. You can only use it a few times before you have to charge it. It takes about fifteen minutes to charge. So use it wisely.”
“I’ll try.” said Samuel closing the case. “So where do we start?”
“You stay here, make conversation and get any information you can. I’ll look around for Edison.”
“Right. Good luck.” said Samuel shaking Nikola’s hand.
“And to you. Try not to get too entangled with any of the ladies, you old dog.”
“Oh, Tesla promising something like that would be like promising the moon to a single person.”
“Well then, when this is done I expect the moon.” said Tesla strolling away with a smile on his face.
Samuel made his way to the people while Tesla was walking to who knows where. Briefcase and cotton candy in his hands, Samuel began making his way to all the mingling socialites, all wearing masks. Many of them slightly sweating because of their attire and the heat. One of the ladies noticed him and looked over. She was of average height, slightly smaller than Samuel, she appeared in her mid-thirties. She was blonde, wearing a green dress and a black mask. When she recognized Samuel she called her friends over.
“Ladies! Ladies! Come here we have a celebrity.”
Her and her friends approached Samuel. All of them now recognizing Samuel and hurrying over to the entrance where he was standing, lifting their dresses so they didn’t trip.
“Well, well, if it isn’t the man of humor himself, Mark Twain.” Said the blonde woman.
“You caught me. Who might you be?” said Samuel.
“I’m Marion. What brings you hear mister Twain?”
“Well Ms. Marion there’s nothing wrong with rubbing elbows with the upper class is there?”
“I suppose not.”
“What prey tell brings you to this affair?”
“My father is hosting this shindig.”
“You’re Thomas’s daughter, aren’t you?”
“Yes. Do you know my father? He’s never mentioned you.”
“We’ve met a few times in passing. If you pardon me for asking, where is your father?”
“Around somewhere probably tending to the surprise for the evening.” She talked in a distant tone.
“If you see him around would you come and find me. I’d love to get his ideas on a new book I’m writing.”
“May I ask what the book is about?” asked Marion earnest interest and curiosity in her voice.
“I don’t want to spoil it.” Said Mark a coy smile forming on his face.
“Please mister Twain.” said a large woman who up until this moment had remained silent next to Marion. She was short wearing a black dress and a black cap. Beautiful pearls around her neck. She was dabbing sweat off her forehead with a purple handkerchief. She spoke in a boisterous way “You simply must tell us. My daughter and I are huge fans of yours.”
“Mister Twain this is my stepmother, Mina.” said Marion trying to hide the distain in her voice. She was looking at the ground avoiding eye contact with Mina.
Mark began extending his hand “Nice to meet you Mina. You already know who I am, but please call me Samuel. Mark Twain is just my pen name.”
Mina took Samuel’s hand and said, “Alright then Samuel. You simply must regale us with this new book of yours.”
“You simply must.” Said Marion still trying to avoid eye contact with her step mother, looking straight at Samuel.
“I don’t want to give anything away until I know it’s something I’d like to pursue.”
“Well can you dazzle us with a title?” Said Mina.
“I’ve been playing around with the title. Right now I’m calling it A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.”
“What a queer title.” Said Mina
“I think it’s splendid.” Said Marion.
“I might be convinced to give a little more away, if you point me towards the direction of your father.”
“Oh, he’s around here somewhere.” Said Mina.
“I could help you search for my father.” said Marion.
“That would be delightful.”
“Follow me.” said Marion.
The two of them began making their way through the people observing the animals and discussing things such as investments, the latest crazes, and what the surprise for tonight will be. They were passing by the monkey exhibit. The monkeys were playing around and one of them was giving Samuel a dirty look. He returned the dirty look. They were walking in silence. Samuel looked over at Marion. She was beautiful and looked much younger than she was. He noticed her blue eyes underneath her black mask. They were a dazzling shade of blue. Marion spoke up:
“So Mister Twain, what’s the real reason you’re here. My father isn’t exactly known for his literary expertise.”
“Perhaps not, but your father is a brilliant inventor and I’d love to get his opinion on some of the technology I’ve put in the story.”
“Exploiting an inventors mind.”
“Not so much exploiting as much as renting.”
“There’s the sense of humor I’ve been looking for.”
“I couldn’t help but notice you’re not a big fan of your step mother.”
“Were not very close. So I meant to ask you, what’s in the briefcase?” said Marion trying to avoid the topic.
“Nothing important. A friend just gave it to me.”
The two of them continue to walk in silence. Suddenly they heard the sound of running and yelling, “Stop!” and “Get this thing off my face!” They looked at each other confusion on both their faces.
A figure was bounding towards them in a green mask, suitcase in his hand. Dozens of guards chasing after him. Some of them furiously trying to get monkeys off their faces. The guard yelled “The monkeys clawing at the men’s masked faces. The masked figure said
“Come now boys, this is just embarrassing. You’re letting an old man out run you.” He roared at the guards behind him with a broad smile.
The masked figure looked ahead and noticed Samuel and Marion and his smile grew even broader. He yelled over to them calmly “Samuel couldn’t resist, eh. I suggest the two of you start running.”
“Nikola?” said Samuel, realizing who the masked man was, he smiled. “He’s right my dear.”
Samuel grabbed Marion by the arm and the two of them began running. Marion still confused said “What the devil is going on?”
“I’ll explain when we’re not being chased. Perhaps over a drink.” said Tesla, now caught up with the both of them.
“Mister Twain, who is this man?” said Marion.
“A friend. Nikola, you old darb. What happened?”
“Just put Plan B in motion. Plan A got me kicked in the stomach.”
Tesla takes a sharp turn right, Samuel and Marion in tow. This part of the park was deserted. Everybody was socializing and waiting for tonight’s event. They were so loud that Samuel could hear the noise from the other side of the park. He doubted they could hear them yelling and running. The guards running after them with some type of guns Samuel couldn’t identify. Samuel was wondering why they weren’t shooting at them. He guessed that they didn’t want to risk alerting the other guest. Samuel began feeling weak and falling behind. Tesla urged him to go on.
“Come on old chap we’ve got to lose them.”
Samuel couldn’t go on. He couldn’t keep up the pace. He slowed, the guards still bounding after them. Tesla and Marion still running.
“Use the tesla.” Roared Tesla.
Samuel began opening the case, the guards almost upon him. He was furiously trying to unlatch the brief case when the first guard came at him. Having no success in opening the case, he swung the case in a wide arc striking the guard on his temple. The guard flopped to the ground and the rest of the guards stunned stopped in their tracks. All of them looking at their friend on the guard.
“Damn.” said Tesla watching from a distance with Marion. Shock on both of their faces.
Samuel took advantage of the guards surprise and struck a nearby guard across the face sending him moaning to the ground with a bloody nose.
“Whoa.” Said Marion.
Next to her Tesla chuckled with delight at the spectacle before him. “The old man still has it.”
Samuel’s surprise attack took one of the guards on his left out of his daze. He came at Samuel attempting to tackle him. Samuel dove out of his way and used the case to trip him. Still holding on to his half-eaten cotton candy trying not to drop it. When Samuel regained his balance the guard closest to him took a swing at him. Samuel ducked and used the case to hit the guard in the crotch. The five guards surrounding him mimicked the man Samuel had struck. The guard slowly went to the ground grabbing where Samuel had attacked him, a look of pain on his face. He was mumbling something that Samuel couldn’t quite hear.
“What’s the matter son? Can’t hit an old man?” said Samuel with his adrenaline (epinephrine) pumping. Smile on his face and a crazy look in his eyes.
Samuel rejoicing in his successful attacks heard Tesla yelling “That’s gonna leave a mark.”
Samuel turned to where Tesla was. He was totally oblivious to the two guards behind him running to tackle him. They took them to the ground hard knocking the brief case and cotton candy to the ground. Samuel let out an “Umf.”
Tesla and Marion still standing there in surprise, Samuel groaned yelling “The both of you run.”
The remaining guards remembering that they were chasing Tesla looked up. The leader ordered the guards that weren’t holding down Samuel or being attacked by some very angry monkeys to go after Tesla and Marion.
“Charlie! Tucker! After the both of them!”
“Miss I suggest you skedaddle.” said Tesla opening his brief case.
“We have to help him.” Said Marion.
Click.
“I intend to.”
A grin on his face after hearing the sound of the brief case opening. He dropped the case to the ground and raised the tesla and aimed it at the approaching guards.
“What is that?” shrieked Marion.
“Lightning my dear.”
A blinding blue bolt of electricity erupted from the ray gun.

Tesla began to walk away from Samuel. He scanned the people passing by looking for Edison. All he saw were the wealthy class drunk as can be. Thinking how queer it was to be so intoxicated this early. He began towards the animals, all their smells blending into one indistinguishable smell. He walked to the sound of loud children, their booze ridden parents, and if he focused the sound of classical piano.
“Where the devil is he?” said Tesla muttering to himself.
Tesla saw a guard walking at a hurried pace and decided to follow at distance. He set about after the guard had gained a lead of about 6 yards. The guard kept at his pace. The guard looked around every so often, he never noticed Tesla, making Tesla believe that the guard had other matters on his mind. The guard was sweating profusely, much more than what the day called for. When the guard turned Tesla turned. Both of them were now starting to leave where all the park attenders and socialites were. Now all that could be heard was the guard muttering to himself, “Oh, god…god, god, god.”
The guard stopped in front of the Park Services building. Tesla followed after him. The guard opened the door and entered. Tesla waited a few seconds and slipped through the door while it was still closing. The interior of the building was bare. A few desks spread about the room, it looked as if the room had had no one in it for months. The guard still hadn’t noticed him.
The guard began walking towards the back. The guard was muttering something different now. “Left, right, up, up, left, down.” “No. Up, left, right down, up, down”. “No, that’s not it either.” The guard seemed even more nervous. He turned left into a long corridor with a gray floor and plain white walls. Tesla waited about 30 seconds before following. He peeked around the corner to check if the coast was clear. Tesla began to follow, as he walked at a slower pace. He took very deliberate footsteps so as not to be heard. Tesla followed the guards every twist and turn, staying close to the wall. The corridor was sloping down, leading to some unknown location. Tesla began to notice more scuff marks on the floor, the farther they went down into the corridor. There was a new smell in the air as well. It smelled foul and another smell like hot metal. The guard made a quick right turn. Tesla began to follow out, and stopped when he heard voices.
“Hey, John”, said the nervous guard.
“Andrew, buddy, why are you so nervous?” said John.
“Mr. Edison wants to see him. Probably knows you have a thing for his daughter,” said a third voice.
“Shut up, Tucker!” said Andrew.
A soft click.
“Why don’t you make me!” said Tucker.
“Don’t mind if I do.” said Tesla raising his ray gun.
The guards didn’t even have time to react. Two streaks of lightning erupted from the ray gun, and the two guards, Tucker and John, dropped to the floor. The nervous guard, Andrew, standing, backed against a very strange looking door. Andrew looked at the two guards on the floor and then at Tesla and the gun he was holding.
Andrew was still in shock. He managed to speak calmly. “What is that”?
“Nothing important. You see that door behind you?” asked Tesla.
“Not really. My back is against it.” answered Andrew.
Tesla chuckled.
“I’m going to need you to open that.”
“Okay.”
Andrew slowly turned to the door. It was a truly strange contraption. It was a circular door about six feet wide and six feet tall. There was a single dial in the middle of the door. Andrew began to turn the dial to the left, then muttered something to himself, and turned the dial to the right. There was a loud click and the dial shot out, attached to a long pole. It nearly took Andrew’s head off, if he hadn’t ducked. He grabbed the lever and put it as high as it could go, and pulled it down with a great deal of force. Andrew backed away from the door, the lever went back to the center and receded into the door. The door began to roll sideways. Andrew turned to face Tesla who was still pointing the ray gun at him.
“Now what?” asked Andrew.
“This can go one of two ways. You could attempt to stop me, and I could zap you or you could get out of here, and save yourself from electrocution.” said Tesla.
“I’ll go with the second one. I have to warn you, things aren’t simple as it seems.”
“What do you mean?”
“I don’t know completely. I think someone else is running the show.”
Andrew left without another word. The guards on the ground began to stir and groan. Telsa rushed to the other side of the doorway. He looked for a way to close the door and noticed a big green button.
“Really? It’s never this easy.” he muttered to himself.
He pressed the button and it rolled onto place. Telsa turned to view his new surroundings. Like the corridor it was devoid of anybody but it had the appearance of being in regular use. The hallway was circular like the door. Tesla begun forward slowly, when he got to an intersection he looked left and right. There was nothing. No voices, no people, just him in an empty and gloomy hallway. Tesla was thinking how lucky he was that the guard was so scared. If he hadn’t been, Tesla might be dead. The ray gun needed to be charged. For the next 15 minutes he would be totally defenseless. He placed the ray gun in the briefcase. With no way to know where to go, he started forward. At first moving slowly and quietly but after not seeing anyone after 15 minutes, he began to walk casually. He wished that there were some sort of sign that said Bad Guys Here in flashing lights. Things are much easier to find when their flashing. He kept walking forward, wandering aimlessly. Just as a change of scenery he made a right turn. A right turn what a rebel move, thought Tesla.
“Doesn’t get any more exciting than this.” muttered Tesla.
He began to flip the briefcase in the air to kill his boredom. Confident that no one was here he began to speak out loud.
“For a secret base this is extremely dull. Secret lairs usually have a secret to protect.” yelled Tesla.
“You’re absolutely right.” said a voice behind Tesla.
Tesla jumped and let out a yelp when he heard the voice. He turned to the origin. The voice was a young boy maybe 10 or 11 years old. He was about 5 foot 3 inches, he had khakis, a black belt, a white dress shirt, and a black tie. He had short brown hair and determined green eyes. He had on a black mask. The boy was somewhat pudgy, he jiggled a little when he spoke again.
“The word secret implies something to hide and what better place to put it than in a lair.”
He rested against the wall on the left side of the hallway. He looked over at Tesla and Tesla looked back at him. The both of them kept eye contact. Tesla didn’t know what to make of this boy. Tesla had never seen him before but the boy acted like he knew him, as if the both of them had known each other for years. A smile began to creep on the boy’s face and a wicked look like he knew something that Tesla didn’t. When the boy spoke up again it caught Tesla off guard.
“You aren’t very talkative.” He spoke in a matter of fact way.
“Hmm? Uh…sorry.”
“No need to apologize Nikola.”
“Do I know you?”
“No. I know you though. You could say I’m a fan of yours. I’ve been following your work for a couple of years. I didn’t picture you being so tall. If I had known I could have had taller hallways built. My sincerest apologies.”
“It’s alright.” said Tesla trying to understand what the boy was talking about.
“No, no, I should have been better prepared.”
“I’m sorry but who are you?”
“Oh forgive me. I’m Charles Edison.” said the boy extending his arm to shake Tesla’s.
“Your Edison’s boy?” said Tesla shaking Charles hand.
“Technically yes’”
“Technically? What do you mean?”
“I think that’s enough socializing for one day Charles.” Said a female voice.
Tesla turned around to face the voice. She was a young girl, perhaps 15. She wore a long black dress and a string of pearls around her neck. Her hair was long and flowed uninhibited. She wore a green mask. She looked past Tesla to Charles.
“Stop annoying the man, Charles. You had one job to do.”
“I couldn’t help it. I got excited. How often do you get to meet someone so interesting?
“You could have captured him and then vomited all your questions on him.”
“I didn’t want him to feel inhibited in the discussion when he’s tied up.”
“Pardon?” said Tesla.
“He was supposed to tie you up and stick you somewhere out of the way.” said a new voice.
Tesla looked to his left down the left hallway of the intersection. He turned to see a small child, 5 years old maybe. The boy was in his pajamas and had a tried look on his face. He had short close cropped hair. The boy seemed frustrated at Charles and the girl.
“Theodore, you should be in bed” the girl spoke in a demeaning manor.
“Shouldn’t you be out trying to snag a husband Madeleine?” Said Theodore speaking in the same tone as Madeleine.
“Are all of you Edison’s children? Said Tesla, his confusion obvious.
“Technically, yes.” Said the children in unison.
“Technically, Technically… I still don’t understand. What do you mean, technically?”
“Not important.” said the three once again in unison.
“Has anyone ever told you speaking in unison is incredibly creepy.”
“Not recently. They are usually tied up before they have the chance,” said Theodore speaking in a fierce tone disproportionate to his presence.
The boys tone took Tesla off guard, he began to laugh.
“Why are you laughing?” said Theodore with anger in his voice,
Tesla tried to stifle his laugh, but that made him laugh even harder. Charles and Madeline begun to laugh as well. That made all of them laugh harder until the entire corridor maybe even the entire base was filled with their laughter. Tesla began clutching his stomach because of the pain of the laughter. Theodore’s face began to get bright red, his breath become ragged, his fists clenched. Charles noticed this and began pointing and laughing at Theodore. Theodore diverted his attention from Tesla to his technical brother. Theodore sprang at his brother taking him by surprise. He grabbed Charles by the arm and neck and threw him half way down the left hallway. That caused Tesla to stop laughing. Madeline continued like nothing happened. If it were possible, he thought Madeline was laughing even harder. Before Tesla could react Charles was a blur that slammed into Theodore sending him soaring down his own corridor. Then the blur kicked Madeline into the right wall of the hallway they currently occupied. Madeleine hit the wall just as quickly she had been kicked. It left a small crater in the solid concrete. She crashed to the floor rubble all over her black dress and little chucks in her long brown hair. Tesla was stunned, he stood in the intersection with his mouth wide open in astonishment. Charles looked over at him while he was standing over his sister, a look of triumph on his face.
“Don’t mean to be rude. Sibling rivalry and everything.” said Charles gesturing to his sister and to the left hallway where he had smashed into his brother.

Brother? Telsa had to think about that. No normal child could have done the things he just witnessed. There was no doubt in his mind that these kids were not human. But what were they? Tesla was both fascinated and horrified. He didn’t know whether to run or take the kids to his laboratory. Before Tesla could continue his thought, Madeleine shot her hand out, grabbing her brother’s ankle and flipped him. When he hit the ground, the sound echoed throughout the corridor. Madeleine rose and cleaned the rubble off her dress and out of her hair. When she finished clearing the rubber she grabbed her brother by the gullet and lifted him into the air. She was prepared to strike him when a small blur tripped her. Charles fell to the ground. The blur took the form of Theodore and he gave Charles a swift punch to the stomach which sent him once again to the floor. Tesla decided that he should run while the kids were still fighting. While Charles and Madeleine were getting up Tesla slowly backed away into an unoccupied hallway of the intersection. He reached the end of that hallway and the kids still hadn’t noticed. As soon as he reached the new intersection he turned right and ran. He could still hear the children going at it, a smashing, a few loud thuds, and the sound of their bickering: “Why can’t you do what I tell you to?” A sign of exasperation and then a loud smash, “Why can’t you make me.” A loud thud, “the both of you shut up?” two loud smashes. He wasn’t focusing on who said what. He focused on finding a way out. He tried to retrace his steps, but this place was like a maze. He couldn’t differentiate one part from another. He turned left, right, left, right straight no matter what way he went he felt like he wasn’t going anywhere. Tesla began to hear something that resembled a stampede. It was moving fast and it was gaining on him. Tesla picked up the pace and he wondered what was chasing him and how it could move so fast. Then he realized he hadn’t heard any smashing or bickering in a while. It has to be the kids, he thought. He knew he couldn’t out run them. He made a quick left turn, stopped as fast as he could and swung his briefcase with no intended target. He hit Madeline on the left side of her face. It did nothing but stun her but only for a second. Charles and Theodore ran into her at full speed which sent all three of them to the ground. Tesla took advantage and unlocked the briefcase that now had a dent from where it had hit Madeleine. He took the Tesla out of the case while the children began to rise. The children had difficulty rising. They each tried to get up and they would inadvertently knock the others down. After a few seconds of this they managed to get up. That gave Tesla enough time to hold them at gun point. When the children saw the gun they laughed. They looked at him as if he were a child who just drew a picture of mommy and daddy.
“What is that?” said Theodore trying to contain his smile.
“I’ll tell you when you tell me what you are.” said Tesla.
“We’re merciful to those who don’t give us problems. That’s all you need to know about us.” said Madeleine no longer laughing or smirking along with her brothers.
“Lighten up.” said Charles to his sister. Now trying to stifle his laugh he asked. “Seriously, what is that supposed to be, Nikola?”
“It looks like a toy gun.” said Theodore.
“I assure you it’s not.” said Tesla.
“Is to.”
“Is not.”
“Is to.”
“Is not. I’m not discussing this with you.” Said Tesla angry at himself for getting into an argument with a five y ar old.
“Old man. Surrender. You’ve seen what we could do to each other. Imagine what we could do to you.” daid madeleine.
“Come on Maddy. Mr. Telsa is a smart and reasonable man. I’m sure he’s smart enough to know he can’t possibly beat us with his little toys” said Charles. “Isn’t that right Nikola?”
Tesla shot the first bolt at Charles. It hit him in his left shoulder and took him off his feet. He landed a few feet from where he stood. He laid there motionless. The others were so surprised he was able to get off another shot. This one hit Madeleine in the stomach. She too flew back and laid motionless on the ground. He angled to point the gun at Theodore but he was too slow. Theodore was already a blur. He knocked the gun out of Tesla’s hand. It drooped to the floor. No matter, he thought it needs to be charged anyway. The blur knocked Tesla to the ground. He struck at Tesla’s face but he used the briefcase to protect him. Where Theodore struck, the briefcase was a tiny fist size. Theodore struck the case four more times in rapid succession, each creating the same size dent on the briefcase Tesla was using as a shield.
Finally Theodore ripped the briefcase from Tesla’s hands. He prepared to strike but his arm was caught by Charles. Theodore looked up at Charles with a face of someone who was stopped before they could finish their game. “Now Theo, you know we’re not supposed to kill Mr. Tesla. Plus, it’s rude.” Charles shoulder was smoking from where Tesla shot him. That part of his shirt was charred and torn. Tesla could see metal beneath the dress shirt.
“Now Nikola will you surrender or cause trouble.” said Charles.
Before he could answer a black shape struck him across the face. He heard Madeleine speak before he lost consciousness.
“Too much talking. Get that damn gun.”
Blackness.
When Tesla opened his eyes he saw a dim light, a damp room, a messy office, and an ugly guard from before. The guard was now wearing a purple mask, but Tesla recognized him by the burn mark on his neck from where Tesla shot him. The guard, who teased that other guard Andrew. Tesla’s jaw was sore from where the black shape hit him. It felt like he was hit by a locomotive. The ugly guard threw a filthy rag at him.
“You’re got a little blood right here.” said the guard touching his lower lip. He said with a laugh.
“That’s difficult with my hands tied.” Tesla tested his restraints. They were tight. He couldn’t budge them.
“Sucks to be you. I’ve been told to interrogate you. I’m allowed to be as creative as I want. We’ll see what happens in a fair fight.”
“I’m an old man tied to a chair without a weapon. You are an able bodied young man with full range of all his limbs. I wouldn’t exactly call that a fair fight.
“I wouldn’t call it a fair fight when you used your ray gun.” He brandished the gun.
“It’s called a Tesla.”
“Well that’s a bit egotistical.”
“That’s a big word for someone like you. Your mother must be proud.”
The guard attempted to shoot Tesla with the gun. When it didn’t work he slapped Tesla. Pain shot through Tesla.
“How the hell does this work?” The guard yelled.
“It has to be charged. It usually takes about fifteen minutes.” “It packs a wallop.” said Tesla “But you already knew that.” Tesla smirked.
The guard smacked him again. He moved over away from the door to an empty desk. There was no one else in the room besides them. Tesla began to get his bearings. He smelled the foul stench much more clearly. The sound of running water from somewhere nearby. The room they were in was filthy. The guard picked up a metal briefcase from behind the desk.
“What is this?”
“A briefcase.”
“Yes” said the guard with a sigh. “I know. What does it do?”
“Carry documents.”
“Then why does it have a space that the gun fits into.”
“I can’t walk around with a ray gun in my hands, people would think I am insane.”
“How do I know you’re not.”
“Good point. I am taking to a man wearing a purple mask with a burn mark on his neck. Also I did shoot you with a lightning bolt and I am in a secret base surround by the smell of excrement and the sound of running water. And I was knocked out by three children or whatever they were. There’s a very good possibility that I could be insane.
The guard slapped Tesla again.
“Are you done?” asked the guard.
“It charges my ray gun.” said Tesla.
“Oh good. When it’s done charging I can try it on you.”
“Oh good.”
The guard put the ray gun into the case and placed the case on the table. He just sat down and stared at Tesla.
“I have to ask. Why is there so much security and set up for a party just to discredit altering current?” asked Tesla.
“I have no idea. I’m just a hired guard. We’re not allowed to know anything they don’t want us to know.”
“You aren’t even the slightest bit curious?”
“Of course I am. I’ve done a bit of snooping. All I know is that Edison’s not the guy in charge.”
“Interesting.”
“Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing.”
“And what is that?”
“Keep me talking, so I forget about shooting you, so you can escape.”
“I see that shock hasn’t damaged your head. You’re much smarter that you appear.”
“Flattery won’t get you anywhere either.” The guard sounded tired.
“I guess the electrocution took a lot out of you.”
“No. Yes, but no. You have me curious now.”
“I tend to make people curious.”
It had been five minutes since they began talking. Tesla tested his restraints again. He still couldn’t loosen them. He felt at full strength again ready to fight. His legs weren’t tied so that gave him a chance. He needed to break his bonds and get the Tesla. He just had to wait and pray that the guard was a lousy shot.
“It’s no use. The kids tied the ropes super tight just for you.”
“Aren’t they darlings.” said Tesla sarcastically.
“They sure are.” said the guard agreeing in the same sarcastic tone.
“What are they?” asked Tesla.
“I’m not sure. They call themselves automatons, but they act like normal kids most of time. They are all extremely smart, fast and strong.”
“I noticed.”
The guard made a quick smirk and then he hid it with a serious expression.
“They are quite rambunctious.”
It had now been ten minutes now. Tesla stretched his legs preparing them for what was about to happen.
“It’s occurred to me that I don’t even know your name.”
‘I am Steven Tucker.”
“Well Tucker or should I call you Steven.”
“Tucker is fine.”
“Well Tucker, I just have to say one thing…”
“If it’s going to be something like a surprise: and you breaking out your bonds, hold your breath. I know you can’t break those bonds. Plus, I’m younger and much stronger that you.”
“Perhaps. But I’m smarter.”
“That doesn’t help you now.”
“You’d be surprised.” Said Tesla followed by a barely audible knock.
“What was that?”
Tesla said nothing. He looked at Tucker and just smirked. The guard got up from his chair took a few steps towards Tesla. He bent down a little and listened for the noise.
Knock.
Tucker inched forward. It had been thirteen minutes now.
Knock. Knock.
Tucker inched forward even more. When he got in range, Tesla gave a swift kick to the face. He shot up, his head facing the ceiling. While he was stunned, Tesla threw his weight forward and landed on this feet. He spun around hitting Tucker with the back of the chair causing it to break. Tucker hit the floor. Tesla ran to the desk and looked for something sharp to cut his hands free. He saw a scalpel and turned around to pick it up. He had to have his hands feel around for it. He found it and began cutting. Tucker started to get up. Tesla was half way through his bonds. Tucker tackled Tesla before he was finished. Tucker threw him against the wall. He threw a right hook, Tesla ducked and Tucker punched the wall. He grabbed his hand with a look of pain on his face. Tesla snapped his weakened bonds. Tesla dove for suitcase. He reached it and grabbed the suit case. He turned to face Tucker, but Tucker was already on him. Tucker punched Tesla in the face with his left hand. Telsa spun backwards to face the door. Then Tucker kicked Tesla in the butt making him fall to the ground. Tucker rushed over to grab the case but Tesla tripped him. Tesla got up with the case and began to run towards the door. Tucker got up and followed. Tesla turned and swung the case at Tucker. Tucker ducked and punched Tesla in the stomach. Then he backed up and kicked Tesla in the stomach. That sent him slowly to the ground. Tucker grabbed the case from Tesla and opened it. He took out the Tesla and let the case hit the ground.
“Which do you want to be in, agonizing pain or unconscious?” asked Tucker.
“The second one.” said Tesla with some difficultly.
“Nope.” said Tucker.
Right before he pulled the trigger Tesla kicked him in the groin. The gun went off and hit a nearby trash can on Tesla’s left. The contents of the trash can igniting. Tucker dropped the gun and it rattled to the ground. Tesla reached over and picked it up. Tucker was bent over across from Tesla. Tesla gave him a hard kick to the head and he was out cold. Tesla got up clutching his stomach and retrieved the briefcase. He deposited the Tesla inside. He put the case on the desk and went over to a wall that had a fire extinguisher on it. He picked it up and put out the trash can fire. Then he took the guards uniform to blend in. He opened the door and went back to get the briefcase. He walked out with a briefcase in one hand and a fire extinguisher in the other. He put the briefcase down, made sure there weren’t any guards around. Then he closed the door and began to hit the knob with the fire extinguisher until it come off. He drops the fire extinguisher. Then he picked up his briefcase and walked away. He didn’t know where he was walking but it didn’t matter. There was more here than he originally thought.
Tesla felt his way through the base. It was combined with the sewer system. The source of the sound and awful smell. Whenever he saw another guard he would wave. Few of them waved back. Mostly they never even acknowledged him. He finally saw a bright light and he smelled fresh air. He stepped out of a big pipe. When he stepped out he saw his newly borrowed shoes covered in excrement. He took off the shoes and threw them into some bushes. He ran away as fast as he could manage. He saw a pay phone and ran to it. He searched in the pockets of the uniform for some money. He found some and entered the phone booth. He dialed a number. He waited for three long rings when it was finally answered.
“Ahoy” said the voice on the other end.
“It’s Nikola” said Tesla. “Plan B”.
The other voice said, “Should I bring the Devil Wagon?”
Tesla says, “Do I have to explain the plan again.”
The voice says” No. Once was enough.”
The line goes dead.
Tesla exits the booth. He mutters to himself “someone’s missing their manners today.”
He began to walk to the ongoing party in search of Samuel. He bounded a corner and crashed into a fast approaching guard. Tesla was knocked to the ground and the guard tripped over him.
The guard recognized Tesla and started shouting to nearby guards. “I found him.”
Tesla quickly got up and ran in the opposite direction. The guards chase after him Tesla came to a crossroad one path to the left another to right with the guards on his tail so he decided to jump the fence in front of him. The guards followed Tesla every twist and turn. The exhibit they were in was uneven and smelled awful.
Tesla saw an opportunity. He grabbed the closest branch he could find. He pulled it back as far as it could go, and let go when the closest guard approached. He smacked him across the face and he fell to the ground. The second closest fell over him and fell to the ground. Third dropped over his two fallen friends, but was ill prepared for Tesla’s kicks. The fourth was more prepared when Tesla tried to kick him and the guard caught his leg and gave Tesla a kick to his leg. This time Tesla fell to the ground. The guard was about to attack when Tesla picked up a bucket and threw the contents at the guard. The guard was surprised and backed away. Tesla took advantage and sprinted as fast as he could to the other side of the exhibit. The guard came out of his shock and his friends got up and chased after them. He got to the other side of the fence and hopped it. Tesla managed to slow them down a little. He began turning randomly, trying to lose the guards, but when he looked back it appeared that there was four times more guards. It wasn’t until he reached the hippo exibit that he began to hear the screeching. It was obviously not from a human. He didn’t want to look back because he might not like what he saw, but he sneaked a peek. Anyway he stopped in his tracks. What he saw left him speechless. He saw monkeys attacking guards. The monkeys and the guards were screaming. The monkeys seem to be going for one guard in particular. The guard Tesla threw the bucket at.
The guards that weren’t being attacked were trying to get the monkeys off. Some of the guards that weren’t being attached noticed Tesla and started to chase him. The guards that were being attacked panicked and started to follow their comrades. Tesla turned the right corner and saw Samuel and a strange girl a couple hundred feet ahead of him. When they noticed Tesla and the guards they looked confused.

The guards flopped to the ground. The guards were around and on top of Samuel looked at Tesla and their unconscious friends. Samuel wiggled his way out from under the guards and ran to Tesla and Marion with a slight limp. The guards didn’t even attempt to stop him.
“Good show.” said Samuel.
“Not too bad yourself.” said Tesla.
“Do you think you can run?” asked Marion in a whisper.
“I think so. I wished I stretched first.”
“No time for wishing.” said Tesla.
Tesla started running. Marion dragged Samuel and they began running, but they didn’t get very far. Another pack of guards came around from the other side. They were trapped. No one was around to help. They were hopelessly outnumbered and the Tesla had no power left. But Tesla raised the ray gun anyway hoping he could stall why he came up with a better plan. The guards in front of him stopped in their tracks and backed away a few feet at the command of their leader. It was the other guard Tesla shot. It was John.
“Samuel, open the brief case now.”
“I can’t get it open.” said Samuel struggling with the case.
“Let me help.” said Marion taking the case and opening it with ease.
“Thank you.” said Samuel taking the case.
“Finally.” said Tesla trying to conceal the fear in his voice.
The three of them stood back to back. Tesla pointing a gun in desperate need of a charge at John and the guards under him. Samuel pointing a fully charged Tesla at the guards still running around with monkeys on their heads, some of them still on the ground from Samuel giving them a good thrashing. Marion was in the middle looking from side to side. She held the briefcase awkwardly unsure what to do. Tesla spoke in a whisper barely audible to Samuel and Marion.
“We may have to switch.”
“Why?” said Samuel returning the tone.
“I’m out of power.”
“Hell, fine.”
The two of them switched places faster than the guards or Marion could register.
“What is the plan then?” asked Marion trying to match both their tones.
“By now I suppose it’s to survive as long as possible.”
“That’s the best plan I’ve heard yet.” said Marion trying to lighten the mood.
“Samuel I like this one. Where did you find her?”
“Out and about.”
The guard, John called over “Let miss Marion go.”
“Who did you say she was?”
“Let me introduce you. Marion this is Nikola Tesla inventor extraordinaire. Nikola this is Marion Edison. By all accounts a lovely lady.”
“Thank you.” said Marion blushing.
“Marion do you have any acting experience.” asked Tesla.
“I once played a rock in my high school’s production of Romeo and Juliet.”
“That’s good. This role is very similar to the rock role. Being silent and still. The only difference this rock has to look very scared.”
Tesla put Marion in a head lock and pointed the Tesla at her head. The guards moved forward about a foot and stopped. They had a look of fear on their faces, not for Marion but for themselves. Tesla guessed that something bad would happen to them if something happened to Marion. He could definitely use that to his advantage.
“If anyone comes any closer I’ll fry her insides.”
“Don’t!” yelled John.
“You’re playing your part beautifully.” whispered Tesla.
“Thanks.” whispered Marion with a slight tremor in her voice.
Tesla wanted to reassure her that he wouldn’t harm her. But he didn’t want her to break character. Also he didn’t want to lie. He wasn’t sure about Marion. Based on what he saw from those three kids he didn’t know what to make of her. He tried to push the thought out of his head. He couldn’t think about that in a stand-off. He focused on the guards in front of him. Most of them were conscious now and the monkeys were almost gone completely.
Samuel was holding still behind Tesla. His hands were unnaturally still. He seemed calm. He reviewed the guards in his head. Nothing special. He focused on the leader, John. He looked jittery and worried he was holding his chest like he was in pain. The guard looked down and sighed. He turned to his men and barked an order
“Split.”
The guards parted and three blurs came through and surrounded the three of them. The blurs materialized into the children Tesla faced earlier.
“I don’t think so.” said Charles.
“Tesla, who are these kids, and how did they do that?” said Samuel.
“They’re siblings.” said Marion with irritation instead of a tremor in her voice.
“Let the girl go.” said Madeleine distain in her voice.
“Tesla, what do we do?” said Samuel.
“Pray and shoot.”
Tesla let go of Marion, and she threw the briefcase at Madeleine. Tesla lunged at Charles with the briefcase and a gun. Samuel started to shoot at Theodore. It was loud, bright, and painful.
Then all that was left was darkness and a throbbing headache.

Tesla awoke in another dark, damp and ugly room, with an ugly guard. Only this one surprised him, it was Edison himself.
“Your awake.” said Edison.
“Are you sure?” asked Tesla trying to ignore his headache.
“Yes. It’s time to wake the rest. “Guard.” Edison beckoned a guard to wake the people around him.
Tesla began to notice them. There was Samuel, Marion, Tucker, Andrew, himself, and Edison all sitting at one table. The table looked out of place in the room, it was too new.
The guard woke them and they were all groggy. As a few minutes passed they all became fully awake. They all turned to face Edison. Edison returned all their glances. When he spoke, everyone listened intently.
“Were going to play a game.” said Edison taking out Tesla’s gun and placing it on the table.
“What kind of game?” asked Samuel.
“Russian roulette.”
Edison put the Tesla on its highest setting. At this distance and at that setting anyone at the end would be a gonner.
Edison spun the gun when it stopped he picked it up and pointed it at the person on the other end. A bright light and a sound of thunder filled the room. It was followed by the sound of a body hitting the floor.
Thump.