Home > Novel (Fiction) > Historical Fiction > The Price of Fortune

The Price of Fortune

Tomas R.
The Price of Fortune
Summary: Jimmy, a seventeen-year old, poor, orphan boy surviving in New York in the 1890s, lived to protect his younger friend Eddie (only fourteen years old). Jimmy always found Eddie a place to sleep, kept him safe from the goons they often found themselves quarreling with, and always did anything he could to make sure Eddie could live a decent life. Then, during the escape from a failed jewelry store robbery, Eddie was shot by the police. So, Jimmy, desperate to obtain the money that could buy his friend a chance to avoid death, decides to attempt robbing people on the street. The first person he tries to rob is a young girl named Crystal. He offers her a shoe shine, then when her guard is down, steals her purse. He's quickly apprehended by the cops, bought back to Crystal and the cops ask her if Jimmy stole her purse. She lies (due to the fact that she sees Jimmy's poor, broken state) and tells them that she gave the purse to Jimmy, for it had a message that she needed to get to her mother and they leave him with her. She offers him a place at her apartment with her, her brother, and her rich parents. He goes, reluctantly, and stays for a while. During this time, he falls for Crystal and she for him. Now, Jimmy is stuck with a choice: love or friendship.

Worker Bee said...
The author has a great gift for describing the scene in such detail that the reader can see each setting very clearly in their mind.  The story itself is extremely well written which enables the reader to easily feel the triumps & pain of each character.  Very impressive & I look forward to more posts from this author!!

Brofesser said...
Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:02 am:
This story is so touching!! it was great and i fell in love with it!

Tomas R. replied...
Jul. 10, 2013 at 7:43 pm :
Thanks. That means a lot :) Any suggestions on things I can change?

17srao said...
Jun. 16, 2013 at 9:32 am:
The story is touching even before its core - I truly felt Jimmy's pain when Eddie was shot.