My New Friend

Author's note: I wrote this piece that first started off as just another school assignment but turned out to be...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I wrote this piece that first started off as just another school assignment but turned out to be more. I hope for readers to find their own meanings behind the text while also trying to understand what I am trying to say.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Sinful Thoughts

“By that sin fell the angels.”-
William Shakespeare, Othello, November 1, 1604

“You know Luc?
“What?” he replied.
“You see all these people moving on with their lives? How many of them think about the men that have died, the men that died at the hands of this country? Do they at all? You know when a report comes on and it tells about soldiers losing their lives, they think, oh how sad, but what do people do after that?”
Luc kept listening,
“You know, if it’s not their kid, then do they care? What if I died, and I was plastered all over the news? Do you think people would get upset or care?”
“Probably not,” he replied, “Only the people that come home they think about.”
I looked around and saw this town for what it was and reminded me why I hated it so much. The people were critical and didn’t accept people who were different.
We kept on the same path when a man walked up to me. He was short wearing jeans and white undershirt. He was overly fat and the stench of his odor I could have smelled from Vietnam.
“Sir I jus’ wan’ to say than’ you for defenin’ our freedoms,” the man spoke with a thick country accent, and I couldn’t but help noticing his awful shave.
“Just doing my duty,” I replied. We shook hands and I smiled. He released my hand and walked away and didn’t even look at Luc or thank him.
“What a bad shave.”
I shook my head and ignored Luc’s comment and said, “To defend our freedom. What a funny phrase. What freedom were we defending over there? No one was physically harming us until we went in there and caused trouble. Simple solution would have been to get up and leave,”
I stopped for a second and gathered my thoughts. “I didn’t go over there to fight a war at all. I went over there to escape my own problems. I didn’t feel compelled at all to go there to fight a war. I went there to escape a war in my own house. What was the point of this war? I liked it for selfish reasons and I wasn’t bothered by death at all. But what about everyone else? They didn’t need to go.”
I couldn’t figure out where I was going with this rant. “There are a few different types of war: war for politicians, war for the people, and war for one person. This war was for the politicians, but I fought it like a war for one person.”