Watched

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Strange Occurrence

Jack was walking down the sidewalk by a number of fruit stands. He bought an apple and sauntered on, eating it. Various cars were parked along the sides of the road, as usual; a number of other people walked down the sidewalk. But as he walked, one of the parked cars in particular stood out to him: it was silver, and he didn’t know the brand by its symbol; he saw two people in it, both men. They weren’t preparing to get out or anything, they were just sitting there. And they were both wearing shades… Hm, ok. That’s pretty normal. Fairly. But then he saw that they were watching him.
Well, at least it looked like they were. Could they just be coincidentally glancing his way? No, they actually seemed to be staring at him. As Jack walked down the sidewalk, they didn’t look away for the duration of an entire minute. He tried to not stare at them, but eventually stopped in front of a shop and looked “inside.” They were still looking at him! Alright, he continued walking, but more speedily. He rounded a corner out of sight, trying to remain casual. Then he stopped to see what would happen. The car drove off.
Well that was kind of weird. But maybe it was all coincidence. His hair had been blown up a bit by the wind…
He walked back to his apartment, turning this over in his mind. Throwing the apple core in a trash can, he stopped and thought, Why would they be watching me? Well, were they watching me? But if they were, why?
He marched up the stairs to his apartment on the sixth floor, lost in thought. Once there, he closed the door and made some coffee. Did I just imagine some significance to the whole thing?
He sat thinking about it for a while, with some coffee. He faced the full window that gave a fair sight of a large portion of the city. It was early evening, and most people had gotten out of work and were milling around down below. But, eventually, he dismissed what had happened earlier from his mind.