The Clown Statue

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

The Endless Night Begins

"I HATE YOU! I never want to see you ever again!" I yelled at Mary. We Brooks were never made for stopping arguments, much less getting in the middle of other people's arguments. "I wouldn't have it any other way!" she screamed back. She was always very assuring, and I admired that. My sister wasn't the type to change her mind, but this time, I wish she had. I guess we always had that going between us.

Anyway, that was the past, and so it's just history. Tomorrow is the future, and so, it's a mystery. But today is a gift, and that's why we call it... well you know the rest. Now, out of the blue, my desperate sister calls my cell 13 years later, with a sound in her voice that, well, wasn't so assuring. You may think that people's voices change so much after years that others wouldn't notice who that was, but Mary was.. how do I put this? I think the best possible way to describe it is.. determined. I wouldn't know how to logically apply that word to her now very aged voice, but then again, my older sister was never really all that into logic. So go figure.

Now from what you've heard, you can say whatever you want, but I know in my heart that we still care for each other, family or no family. I haven't even seen Anna since she was.. oh I don't even know what it was by now... 14 months, maybe? And I heard about Nick being born but I never got to see him, and now all of the sudden I'm expected at her house? Why not, Amy? It'll be a great chance to meet the kids! And see Mary and Danny, they've always been a beautiful couple in my eyes. I wonder how Mary looks now. I hope I didn't age as much as her. Better keep my hopes up.

The sky was beautiful on this Autumn evening. I know, I have the brain of a writer. I was the shy girl in my family, while Mary was the active one and Jake was the one with her. Mom and Dad always went out and expected us to be good. I stayed home and hit the books. It was obvious I didn't belong, but I guess I always found my place in the world when matters turned for the worst. I think I might have even... Oh look, we're here! I live about seven or eight blocks away, since we loved living in this neighborhood when we were kids.

I reached for the door when I saw a tall, familiar figure answer the door, and immediately proceeded to hug said person to death. "Oh Mary, how I've missed you!" She seemed hesitant at first, but Mary hugged back. "I've missed you too, sis." she said in a glad voice. She changed so much since I last saw her, yet she stayed the same. "Well, I really wanna stay and catch up, but me and Danny have got to dash! I promise to talk later!" she said. We both looked behind her, and she said "They don't know anything, so please keep it that way. They'll be a whole lot safer that way."

I never thought I would see such a beautiful young girl like I did right and then, but it didn't take any effort at all to know who that was. She was the spitting image of her mother and a reflection of her past.

Anna Brooks.

I couldn't trust my eyes. They must have been deceiving me. I can't be staring at this.. this.. Woman! She was only just a small child the last time I saw her, and I didn't hesitate one bit in guessing who she was.

Next to her, no doubt, definitely the younger version of Jake sitting beside her watching T.V., was Nick. It reminded me of sitting in the dining room when Mom and Dad were out, reading, sometimes glaring over, watching them have a better time than I was. Yet I was always convinced that I should never cross over sides. And I did just that.

Mary and Danny left and gave me a note, stating everything from allergies to the smell they like waking up too. But that was obviously eggs, bacon, and pancakes, as it has been for a long time in our family.

I went over to their dining room counter. Everything was so neat and tidy. Hard to imagine how they keep that going with two children in the house. They don't even seem to notice me. Oh well, they must be in wonder world, conjuring up creative monsters in their minds.

Hmm, it's only seven, but from the looks of it, I probably know these kids better than they know themselves, especially since I grew up with the ancient replicas of them. Mary set no bedtime, never tells them to turn off the T.V., doesn't alert them to get their homework done, but obviously, she knows it's no use to try force.

I'm guessing that Anna is the brain while Nick is the athlete, but you never know. But if they are made just like the rest of their family, they could handle some sense being knocked into them sometimes. But that's obviously not the case here. I think I'll be nice Amy today.

Knowing that the shyness is still cursed upon me, I tried to lure the kids to see me without me actually calling them. Apparently, I'm not an expert on that. After five wasted minutes of attempt, I did what I'd normally do at this point- give up.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

kookie98 said...
May 3, 2012 at 12:23 pm:
why cant i see the rest of the book? i only get t see the first chapter why is that?