We're All In This Together | Teen Ink

We're All In This Together

By dmoskowitz, Lumberton, New Jersey
dmoskowitz, Lumberton, New Jersey

"Nobody gives you a manual that says, 'This is what's going to happen and this is what you should do and this is how you're going to do it.' I think you just have to kind of handle it in your way." Selena Gomez
"Never Say Never." JBiebs

Author's note: While reading this short story, I want people to realize how important it is to work together to gain what they want.

Once upon a time, there was a white, blued-eyed bunny. He lived with his animal friends and in his castle. It wasn’t actually a castle and it wasn’t far, far away, but it was paradise to this bunny. Until, that one day when everything terrible happened…

“Darn.” muttered Pancakes, the white bunny.

“Is everything alright?” asked Sally, the squirrel.

“I guess,” replied Pancakes, “It’s just that the food supply is almost gone.”

“It’s o.k. We can get more berries and carrots in the forest,” said Sally, while Pancakes was shaking his head, “Why are you shaking your head?”

“I guess someone else emptied out the forest.” stated Pancakes.

“I’m taking a look for myself.” said Sally, hopping from tree to tree, until she was out of sight. Pancakes started to hop toward his hole with only a few more carrots. He picked up the newspaper he stole from a house.

“Daily News. Forest getting ___ down.” said Pancakes. How can I not know this word? I’m suppose to be the intelligent animal. Pancakes curled up into his bed made of leaves.

Pancakes woke up, startled. “You scared me,” exclaimed Pancakes, “What’s up?”

“There was a big… huge… enormous animal. I… I don’t know what kind of animal, but it was yellow! Did you ever hear of an animal like that?” Sally stuttered, mortified.

“What are you talking about?” asked Pancakes as all of the other animals started to gather around him and Sally. Every animal was either curious or scared or both.

“I think we should go see this huge, yellow creature.” requested Chip, the chipmunk.

“Are you sure you saw something or was it just hunger loss,” asked Billy, the bear, “or are you using your imagination again?”

“I promise. I would not lie,” said Sally, looking at the animals faces, “again. I’ll show you. Follow me and don’t run slow. I know you guys run slowly.”

“That’s because you are the fastest animal in this forest.” reported Ryan, the raccoon.

“Just keep up.” growled Sally and started to run.

“Hide behind these bushes so we wouldn’t get caught.” explained Sally. Every animal looked around, surprised and disbelieved. Pancakes just stared at this big creature.
“How can this be?” asked Stella, the skunk. Stella ran over to her baby and hugged him.

“Mommy don’t be scared. Everything will be alright. Didn’t you always say, ‘Everything works out for a reason’?” said Stella’s baby.

“I know honey.” said Stella. All of the animals seemed frozen in the same position they were in when they saw the creature. Every single animal was staring at this creature, like it was some kind of god or goddess.

“What do you think it is, Pancakes.” asked Sally.

“How am I supposed to know,” muttered Pancakes, “I don’t know everything. Animals are not that smart. Humans are.”

“You don’t know what that machine is?” asked a surprised voice. Everyone looked up from their position. All they saw was a hedgehog. The hedgehog was really small and spiky. Most of the animals in the forest never saw a hedgehog before. In fact, the only animal that ever saw a hedgehog was Pancakes, but that’s only because he explores a lot.

“What are you talking about,” asked Chip, “and what are you? You know what this creature is?”

“It’s not a creature. It’s a machine. There is someone who controls the machine to move it around,” stated the hedgehog, “By the way, my name is Henry.” Everyone looked confused. No one knew who this strange animal was.

“What does this ‘machine’ do?” asked Sally.

“I don’t want to rain on your parade, but this machine is here to cut down the forest.” explained Henry. Everyone gasped and had shocked faces. Every mother had their children inside their arms.

“Mommy, I know I just said that don’t worry and everything works out for a reason, but I am scared now. I don’t want my house to be destroyed and I don’t want to die.” said Stella’s baby, worried.

“Don’t be worried, honey. Everything will be alright.” said Stella, holding her son tighter.

“You can’t just tell us all of these… these make-believe stories and scare… horrify the kids!” yelled Pancakes.

“I always know my facts and the newspaper even said Daily News. Forest getting cut down. I think they are making a mall or café or music shop. I don’t know what is going to be built, but it’s going to be built soon. Maybe you guys can live in a shop, but I wouldn’t request it. You can die if you do that,” stated Henry as everyone shuddered, “You might want to do something before your home gets knocked down.” Henry had this smart voice on and it was bugging Pancakes.

“Can you just stop making this situation more complicated then it should be?” asked Pancakes, practically screaming his head off.

“Can you just give us a minute, Henry? We need a group huddle.” said Sally, calmly. Henry walked away from the group of animals. The animals gathered around Sally and Pancakes. Sally and Pancakes are great friends and all of the animals knew that, but they also know that Sally and Pancakes are the animals that fought each other the most. The animals knew this huddle could get ugly.

“I think we should let Henry help us out. I mean this is our home and Pancakes you always said to us ‘Home is the most important thing to animals besides each other’.” stated Sally.

“We don’t even know who this guy is. Where did he come from? He just popped out of nowhere.” said Pancakes.

“I think we should vote,” said Billy, “Whoever who wants to save our forest rise your hand now.” Everyone raised their hands except Pancakes.

“Fine! It’s your life in danger!” yelled Pancakes. He stormed off toward his hole. Everyone looked at him, and then turned their heads back at Sally.

“Is Uncle Pancakes mad at us?” asked a baby fox called Fred.

“He’s not going to be mad at us forever. We’ll get through this.” whispered Franklin, the dad fox. Henry came over to the group.

“Didn’t someone leave the group?” asked Henry, already knowing the answer. He was smirking.

“So you know how to destroy the machine?” asked Marty, the mouse. He talked almost in a whisper, so no one could hear him.

“Yes I do. We need to sneak inside the machine at midnight and control the machine into some trees, so it can blow up.” explained Henry.

“I never saw something that blew up. This sounds fun!” exclaimed Fred. Everyone agreed with him.

“When are we going to control this machine?” asked Sally.

“Tonight at 12:00 midnight sharp, but we need the most intelligent animal during this procedure.” said Henry. He knew that the smartest animal was Pancakes and so did every other animal there.

“I guess we need to ask Pancakes.” stated Chip. The machine grew closer to the group.

“Move out!” yelled Henry and everyone ran as fast as they could with Sally leading.

“Pancakes?” asked Sally. She walked toward Pancakes.

“What do you want?” growled Pancakes.

“We kind of need you to help us destroy the machine.” said Sally.

“Will Henry be there,” asked Pancakes and Sally shrugged yes, “Then no thanks.”

“Why wouldn’t you help us out? Don’t you want to help out the children and your friends?” asked Sally in an angry voice. She then left Pancakes.

“What are you looking at?” asked Pancakes to the other animals. What should I do? I don’t want to upset my friends, but they made me upset.

Almost every animal was by the machine at 12:00 midnight. Most of the animals were surprised and upset they didn’t see Pancakes there.

“Should we wait until Pancakes comes?” asked Ryan.

“I don’t think he’s coming.” said Sally, as she looked around at every ones’ disappointed faces, “but we have each other and Henry.”

“What if Uncle Pancakes was right? What if Henry is against us and with the yellow machine? I mean we don’t even know where Henry came from.” stated Fred.

Henry interrupted the animals’ thoughts by asking, “Are you ready?”

“We were just wondering where you came from.” said Sally.

“I grew up with my brother after my mom died. My brother and I grew up in a forest right by this forest. My brother fell in love, so I decided to travel here,” reported Henry, “Now lets get started.”

“See. He’s just like us.” whispered Sally as she followed Henry.

Pancakes looked at his watch. 12:00. I wonder how the plan is going. Pancakes picked up the newspaper again. “‘Daily News. Forest getting cut down. A café shop is being built on September 20th’. They are going to start building tomorrow!” exclaimed

Pancakes. He yelled so loud that an animal woke up. Pancakes jumped. He didn’t know someone else was not going to destroy the machine.

“You woke me up.” growled a weasel. Pancakes tried to remember the weasel’s name.

“Willy, right,” said Pancakes as the weasel nodded, “I’m sorry. I didn’t know anyone was here. I thought everyone was with Sally.” Pancakes thought he didn’t need to explain himself, but he didn’t want another animal to hate him.

“I’m surprised to see you here. I always thought of you as the brave, strong, friendly, and smart animal. I guess I was wrong.” said Willy, the wise, old weasel.

“Wait a second! I think you misunderstood this whole situation. They betrayed me. It’s all their fault.” yelled Pancakes. He was getting sick and tired of these smart animals.

“I’ve been alive for a long time, but this is the most childish problem I experienced. Since they betrayed you, that doesn’t give you the right to do the same thing back at them. Your friends need you, so are you just going to sit around like a rock or are you going to save this forest?” asked Willy, as he disappeared back inside his log.

“Hop on the machine!” Henry yelled to Sally from the machine. It was 12:30 midnight and they were running late. The machine starts building the café at 6:00am today. Sally jumped on the machine, but first she looked around to see if Pancakes came. She didn’t find him and she had a sad face instead of an angry face. Every animal backed away once Sally was on the machine. They all knew that the machine will blow up soon.

“What if they bring another machine to this forest after this machine blows up?” asked Billy. All of the animals thought about this question and couldn’t find an answer.

“Then we’ll do the same thing over and over again. We will do anything to save our home,” explained a familiar voice and every animal started to smiled, “Aren’t you going to help Sally? Lets go!”

“Pancakes, why did you change your mind?” asked Chip to the familiar voice, which was Pancakes.

“Another story for another time. Right now we have to save the forest!” exclaimed Pancakes. They ran toward the machine.

“Pancakes jump in! I’m so glad you’re here! We need your brain!” yelled Sally.

“We don’t need anymore people.” stated Henry. Now Sally was getting angry at Henry.

“Then you can leave. Hop on Pancakes!” said Sally.

“You’ll be sorry. You need me! Pancakes will betray you again!” said Henry, angry.

“I’ll guess we will take a chance,” said Sally while Henry left, “So how do we start this machine?”

“By pushing the green button. Thanks Sally for what you said and sorry about everything.” said Pancakes.

“You’re welcome. Lets just save the day today.” said Sally. Pancakes started moving the machine. Everyone cheered and clapped their hands.

“I’m doing it! When I count to five, jump off as fast as you can.” Pancakes said.

“Good luck. 1…2…3…4…5!” yelled Pancakes. Both animals jumped off as fast as they could. The machine hit three trees and the whole front was dented and crushed.

“We did it!” yelled the animals. The animals laughed, hugged each other, and picked up Pancakes and Sally.

Four years later. Pancakes and Sally were racing each other, smiling and laughing.

“Stop running so fast!” yelled Pancakes.

“It’s only because you run so slow.” said Sally.

“You are the fastest animal in this forest.” reported Pancakes.

“And you are the smartest animal” said Sally as they both started to laugh. They ran until they were out of sight.

The End

This book has 1 comment.

on Jul. 31 2013 at 11:20 am
vishwa guru BRONZE, Coimbatore, Other
1 article 0 photos 1 comment
Hey it is superb budy your story is true