An Unforgettable Quest

By , Lawrenceville, NJ
Author's note: If you know of the show Supernatural, then you may love this. In this, Sam and Dean (or Matt)...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: If you know of the show Supernatural, then you may love this. In this, Sam and Dean (or Matt) don't hunt supernatural beings, they are just regular wine makers in Italy. What inspired me to do this was the idea of making a Supernatural story without the paranormal stuff, but still Supernatural and suspenseful. I know, I make no sense, but you may get it after you read my story.
BTW, see if you can spot all the Supernatural references  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

We drove home in about five days because Matt never stopped driving. Both of us were solemn during the entire ride. Neither of us would speak. I was too afraid to talk because I didn't want to talk about Dad. I assume that's why Matt didn't speak either. Our father was in the back, his body lying across the seats. Sometimes I would look at him and pray that he would wake up and that this was some terrible nightmare. He never did. Matt hadn't played any rock music like he did on the way up. If anything,
Whenever I read this part, I think of the song Knockin' On Heaven's Door by Bob Dylan (or Avril Lavigne)
he would play the saddest station he could find.
We met Bobby at the vineyard. When we got out, neither of us said anything to each other. We just went inside. Bobby followed us. We sat down at the kitchen table. I put my head down, then Bobby said, “Oh my god, he's gone isn't he!” I nodded. Then we all sat at the table in silence.
The next morning, Bobby helped us bury John. Pasteur Jim had gotten a wooden coffin for Dad. We buried Dad at the northern most part of the vineyard, right next to our mother's grave. Bobby, Jim, Matt, and I were the only ones attending because we gave the workers at the vineyard a day off. Jim did the ceremony and we all went inside the house. I made some tea so that it wasn't so quiet. No one talked for a while. Then Jim said, “Your father was a great man. May God bring him happiness in heaven.” Then he left.
A week after Dad had died, I told Matt that I just couldn't be in the business anymore, it made me think to much of Dad. He told me, “Fine, and whenever you want to visit, the doors will be wide open.” I'm pretty sure that Matt asked Bobby if he would stay, and Bobby agreed. All he had to do was phone a friend to bring him stuff down to Florence. I moved into to Beatrice and met a nice girl named Jessica. We dated and eventually got married. Every year on special occasions, like mom's death or on Matt's birthday, we would go to the vineyard.
Life became better after that. There was no more trouble, I went to college and got a job as a pasta chef in this restaurant nearby. Matt and I talked more than ever before. My new life with Jessica was great. We had kids, and grand-kids. Life was bitter sweet and I felt great waking up knowing that someone was there. Everything was better than ever.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 13 14 15

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!

EMJOLIE said...
I really enjoyed this novel. I think you had the perfect amount of detail as well! Great work

CountryPopGirlThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Thanks soooo much. Whenever i asked my family how it was they would say something like "It's fine" or "It's sounds like you just wrote down what you saw on a TV show"

the first response bugged me because I hate the word fine (don't ask)

the second was actually what I was going for. You get a kind of movie in your head as you read it.

Anyway, thanks for the comment.

Also, the tpo comment was when I first published it. I forgot a chapter, but i fixed it... (more »)