New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Stronger

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

Chapter Two

Luckily, I was looking at him. I could see his eyes go dead a second before he passed out.
“Sam!” I yell as I grab his arm. But he’s heavy. I just flip him over as he falls toward the hard floor. His arm hits first, then his head and back. I’m still holding his one arm. I let go and look at Rhonda, who’s just standing there stupidly with her hands on her mouth and her eyes wide. I look down.
“Sam?” I say, my voice sounding scared and small. “Sam!” I say louder. I bend down and slap his cheeks lightly. I shake him. I yell. I try.
Rhonda stands there like the idiot she is.
Sam moves his head and opens his eyes.
“Sorry, I-I’m just-tired,” he stutters.
“Are you okay?!” I say. Rhonda’s still standing there, and for some reason it annoys the crap out of me.
“Can you do something for once, or just stand there?!” I snap.
“Is he okay?” she whines. He rubs his head and stands up slowly.
“I’m fine!” he yells and stomps into his room.
“But you-” I start, but he slams the door.
I stand there for a second, trying to figure out what the heck just happened.
“Umm, I guess he’s okay, so…I’m going to bed,” Rhonda says, trying to sneak away from anything responsible she might need to do.
“Tsk. Yeah. Because you are so much more important than everything else.” She just rolls her eyes and turns around. She doesn’t even try to argue back.
I stand there for a second more. Should I go in Sam’s room and see what happened? Or just forget about it? I remember what he was saying before Rhonda came out and decide something’s seriously wrong with him.
I push the door open a crack.
“Sam?”
“What?”
“Umm, I- Are you okay?”
He sighs. “I don’t know. Just go to bed. Is Rachael in your bed?” he asks. He cares about her as much as me, though he doesn’t admit it. He always peeks his head in to check on her when he thinks everybody’s asleep.
“Yeah.” He just nods and shuts his eyes.
“Umm, okay,” I say, and turn around to walk out. I shut the door quietly behind me.
I lay down blindly next to Rachael and pull the blanket over us both.
Something is definitely wrong here. I make a mental note to question Sam in the morning, when we’re both awake and not fainting.
* * * * But I never get the chance.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 Next »

raiderman said...
Could not put it down,cant wait for more chapters.

Soleil said...
I like how you set up all the characters and the setting and capture us with a cliff hanger at the end! Very nice!