The Legend of the Batbark Woods

Author's note: PLEASE READ THIS! I'd really like your opinion! If you like this book, that's great! When I...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: PLEASE READ THIS! I'd really like your opinion!

If you like this book, that's great! When I wrote this, everyone said it was really good.

But now I'm starting to wonder about it. It's at a sixth grade writing level and I'm starting to think I should rewrite it in a better way. If you've read Infinity and seen its writing style, you know what I mean.

This book will still have the same characters and some of the same events when it's rewritten. Most of it will probably be the same.

So tell me what you think. SHOULD I REWRITE THIS BOOK?  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next »

The Legend of the Headless Horseman

THE LEGEND OF THE BATBARK WOODS

PART ONE: KATRINA GOES MISSING

There is a forest, hidden deep in the small town of Misty River that can be accessed by a purple coffin, one guarded by a spider tree, in fact. This is the story of when three young kids set foot in the purple coffin…and embarked on the adventure of a lifetime. This is the legend of the Batbark Woods.

Fourteen-year old Miles walked downstairs and saw his dad, a businessman working at a company called MichaelsCo, sipping some hot coffee. Miles’s twelve-year old sister, Katrina, followed behind Miles.
“Bye, dad! We’re goin’ to school!” Miles replied to his dad.
“Okay, see you two later. I’m gonna be at a meeting when you two get home, so don’t be surprised if I’m not there. If you need anything, just call, you hear?” Miles’s dad explained.
“Yeah, Dad. I got it,” Miles answered.
“See ya later!” Katrina exclaimed, and they both walked out of the house to the bus stop.
Miles’s father had explained earlier on that the weather was going to get very soggy and wet in the afternoon, but Miles didn’t bring a raincoat. Right now, there wasn’t a cloud in the sky, and the beautiful morning sun shone brightly. Miles wasn’t sweating it that much.
Miles’s best friend, Randall, was standing at the bus stop. “Oh, hey, guys! Wonderful weather we’re havin’, eh?” Randall exclaimed.
“Yeah, whatever…so you heard about that Michael kid disappearing?” Miles said to Randall. “Katrina really liked it that he just vanished off the face of the earth.”
“Yeah…I heard that kid was pretty mean,” Randall replied, “and did you see that photo of ‘em on the news? Yikes! I have never in my life seen yellower teeth than that!”
“I’m glad that he’s gone! I never want to see him again!” Katrina exclaimed.
The bus pulled up in front of the three kids. Miles, Katrina, and Randall went up the steps and into the bus. Katrina sat with her friends, Rachel and Tammy, while Miles and Randall sat in an empty seat together.
“Y’know, I also heard that one lady, Mrs. Hammerton…I heard that she claimed she saw a vampire in her backyard,” Randall said.
“Oh, really?” Miles replied.
“Yeah…she thought it was a girl…the vampire bit into her son’s arm…then Mrs. Hammerton grabbed her son away from the vampire and got in her car and drove away as fast as she could. She saw her house literally explode when she was driving away!”
“What?!?”
“Yeah…she called 911 on her cell phone. That so called vampire must’ve bitten into her son’s arm pretty hard because her son was taken to the emergency room.”
“Wow! Is he okay?”
“No. He died last night.”
“Huh?”
“Heh…just kidding! The boy’s fine! He’s just got an injured arm. I can’t see how that could kill somebody.”
“Me neither,”
“I mean…really! Like…one of the heaviest tires in the world rolled on my arm and I didn’t even flinch!” Miles stared at Randall with a smirk. “What?” Miles still stared. “All right…I did flinch…but just a little…okay, a lot…all right, I admit…I screamed, held my arm, and flailed around like a crazy person.”
“Well, that’s probably what I would do if my arm was run over by a tire.” Miles replied.
About ten minutes later, the bus pulled up at Misty River Prep. Miles and Randall got off the bus and went inside the school to get to their classes. Miles went into his classroom and sat down at his desk. Everyone was talking and chatting away until the teacher came in and said, “Everybody quit down!” The talking didn’t end immediately, but everyone stopped talking at some point.
“We are starting a new unit today,” the teacher replied. She wrote down three words on the chalkboard: young adult literature. Almost everyone in the class groaned and moaned.
The teacher paced slowly in front of the chalkboard. “I know you students aren’t very appreciative of this unit,” the teacher commented, “but I know as you go on, you will love it.”
“Oh, yes I will!” Miles replied, his fingers crossed behind his back. Most of the students saw that his fingers were crossed and giggled.
The teacher didn’t see that his fingers were crossed, so she smiled and continued. “Now, as you all know, Halloween is coming up…” she was interrupted by everyone in the class cheering. She waited until they were done with a scowl on her face. “…and we will be reading an old, old scary story.” She wrote its title on the chalkboard. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, or as some call it, the Legend of the Headless Horseman.”
Miles absolutely hated scary things. He was five when he saw his first horror movie, and it was enough to give him nightmares even up to the moment he turned fourteen. Well, it’s just a stupid legend, Miles thought. There’s no way it’s true!
“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is also involved with a man named Ichabod Crane. I’ll give you all a grammar and reading booklet. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is on page 54. Read the whole thing and then answer the questions on page 68 on a separate sheet of paper. Do numbers 6 through 9 only. Now I want this room nice and quiet for the time you are doing this. If it’s not done by the time we stop, it will be homework. Please begin.”
Miles opened up to page 54 and saw a big underlined title: ~THE LEGEND OF SLEEPY HOLLOW~. He read about Ichabod Crane, the unfortunate man who was a victim of the Headless Horseman, and about the Headless Horseman, a haunting man with a hole where his head should be and always rides a horse. It was said in the story that the Headless Horseman threw deadly pumpkin missiles at his targets.
Miles kept thinking, It’s just a stupid legend. There’s no way it’s true! He was wrong. It was true. And it would start one of the biggest adventures he would ever have.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next »

This book has 29 comments. Post your own now!

Barnowl14 said...
This is super interesting and well thought-out. I like that you added the Headless Horseman as the main bad guy! The titl is eye-catching, too.

kingofwriters replied...
Thanks! :)

vazenitran98 said...
Apr. 1, 2012 at 11:05 am
I didn't really read the whole thing. I enjoyed the beginning however.

kingofwriters replied...
You'll definitely enjoy the rest of it, even though I wrote it in sixth grade.

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
OMG!!! YOu got # ! today!!!! I'm SOOOO happy for you!!! Great job!!!!!!!!!!!! :)(: :D

kingofwriters replied...
Thanks! :)

Hey Kingofwriters! (its writerfreak, I just changed my name) You should Roleplay with me on the forums! It would be really fun! :)(:

kingofwriters replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:10 am

Roleplay? Sorry, I haven't been on TeenInk in a while; I've been more focused on other things. :/

So, anyway, how do you roleplay on the forums?

Winged.Living.Free.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 7:57 am
You go to the regular forums and scroll down and roleplay (RP) is there. Check out the hitchhikers guide, it tells you all the rulers of RP and then check out some RP's and see how it works. I am already in one.  Its really fun! :)(:

kingofwriters replied...
Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:01 am
Okay, I'll try it out! :)

Reignbow.Rebel said...
Mar. 3, 2012 at 8:36 am
WOW. . . Just. . . wow. . .  I'm inarticulate.

I changed my user name from writerfreak21231 to Winged.Lving.Free. Love Your work!!!! :)(:

Oops! Winged.Living.Free. :)(:

kingofwriters said...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 7:21 am

Okay, I know a lot of you think this is good, but does anyone think I should rewrite it?

It's not that it's bad, it's just that I want to make it better. So who thinks I should rewrite it in a different way, and who thinks it's perfect the way it is?

kingofwriters replied...

Also, I was thinking if I were to rewrite it, I would have the introduction where Ichabod Crane gets captured by the Headless Horseman and we get little tidbits of the Batbark Woods along the way.

Tell me what you think!

MAXIMUMRIDEFOREVER said...
Great story! I really liked this! :)(:

kingofwriters replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 7:17 am
Thanks!        

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
This is really good! You have a great imagination. Also, it's really impressive that you wrote this in sixth grade.

kingofwriters replied...
Thanks! :)

kingofwriters replied...

Oh, by the way, I followed your idea to put George's mom in Infinity. At first, I thought it would be kind of weird to put her in without talking about her at least a little bit first, but I think I did a good job with it.

Tell me what you think when Infinity: Part Three comes out! (Unfortunately, it might be a while before it gets on TeenInk. :/   )