A Tale of Two Kitties

Author's note: Love this! If only more people read cat stories. xD
Author's note: Love this! If only more people read cat stories. xD  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next »

Confusion

A young cat woke up with a start, his orange fur thick with sweat. He shivered as a frosty tingle ran down his spine. Where am I? What is this place? he thought, blinking his light green eyes to adjust to the bright light shining overhead. His head pounded with a beating pain and his heart leaped in his ribcage. He had no recollection of the past and no memories pointed to where he might have come from. He recognized things around him though. A human-made sofa, a wooden bowl, a plaster ceiling. But he couldn’t remember anything else.
The cat let out a frightened meow and staggered to his feet. With a bright flash of white in his eyes and a sharp piercing pain in his aching head, he collapsed back onto the table he had been resting on. His head pounded worse than it had a few moments ago, and he closed his eyes to calm it. As he lay down on the table, he heard a far-away shuffling growing.
“I think he’s awake,” a human voice whispered. The cat peeked through his eyelids to find a hand with fingers like juicy sausages reaching down to stroke him. “There, there,” the owner of the hand comforted him. “You should rest yourself. You’re not fully healed yet.” The chubby man grinned and stroked the cat’s head.
“I wanna pet the kitty,” a shrill, high-pitched voice squeaked. A smaller hand reached out and grabbed at the cat’s fur. Why am I hurt? Why are these humans touching me? He had millions of questions that he wanted answered, but had no way to find out the answers. The little girl with the high-pitched voice turned her doe-like brown eyes to her father. “Can we keep him, Papi?” she asked.
“He doesn’t seem too dangerous,” the man, Papi, consented. “We gave him his injections. So he’s free of worms and rabies. As long as he doesn’t do anything too mischievous, you can have him. Mami will take care of him for you.” The cat looked from man to child. Injections? Worms? Rabies? Are these the things that hurt me? he wondered.
“I will name him then,” another boy voice shouted out. The cat shook his head. Where are all of these humans coming from? “I want to call him Roastcat. He looks tasty.” The boy looked down at the cat and licked his lips. “Yumm.” The cat gulped. They’re going to eat me! He struggled to get up, but the hands restrained him.
“No, I shall not have Mr. Orange eaten, Natty,” the little girl shouted.
“Mr. Orange? That’s the dumbest name ever! You are so stupid ANN-A!” Natty yelled.
“Enough.” Mami’s voice flew through the small room like a gunshot. Both of the children went quiet, their heads turned down.
“I shall name him,” Mami snapped, and she looked down at the nameless, memory-lost cat. “We shall call him…,” she pondered, thumbing her chin and titling her head to the side as she squinted down at him. “We shall call him ‘Survivor’ because angels came and gave him to us. Whenever we say his name, we will be reminded of the blessing that God brought us.” Mami’s face lit up, and she crossed her hands over her heart.
The two children looked down at Survivor, their faces radiating. “Survivor,” they echoed. Survivor purred. He loved that name.
“Hola, Survivor,” Anna stroked Survivor’s fur. Her eyes gleamed with hope, passion, and love. Survivor felt his headache subside and his heart beat ease into loud, resonant thumps. Although he couldn’t remember anything, he had a feeling he was experiencing a new emotion.

Barnowl14This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
It's nice to see a book about cats not revolving around Warriors! It's a good idea, and well written! Nice job!

CurlyGirl17 said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:44 am:
This is nice! You do a good job of describing your characters,  something I sometimes find tricky. I'd really appreciate a comment or advice on the first chapter of my story, Metalligirl, from someone whose story has such high ratings! :)

IMperfect said...
Oct. 24, 2011 at 11:49 am:

its really good u need to write more!!!  

i <3 cats!!!!

ZalphaNeko replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 6:07 am :

Thank you!! I just wish people were more into reading about cats :P lol