Twelve Countries, One Girl.

Author's note: Next year I will embark on my own journey by being an exchange student in Italy. I was inspired...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Next year I will embark on my own journey by being an exchange student in Italy. I was inspired to write this novel while thinking about my upcoming adventure.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

The Gate

I picked the round trip package. It cost $814. I had to hurry it was 12:00 P.M. and my flight left at 4:00 P.M. I will depart from San Antonio land in Dallas, fly to LA, and then go to Hong Kong. Altogether I’m looking at a 16 hour flight. I grabbed my keys, cardigan, and slipped on my brown Uggs. Then left for the hour drive to San Antonio.
When I opened the doors to the airport I felt like I was opening the doors to my destiny. I walked in and saw families being reunited, exchange students getting pepped up, and Marines getting ready to be deployed. I walked over to the ticket counter and checked in for my flight.
“ID ma’am?” A short plump lady with a halo of scarlet hair asked.
I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my driver’s license.
“Passport?”
I pulled out my wallet again and handed her the passport.
“Here’s your boarding pass and ticket. Your flight leaves in 1 hour and 30 minutes.”
“Thank you.”
She mumbled what sounded like mmhmm. I walked over to baggage check where a handsome man in his early twenties was working. “Hi,” he said kindly.
“Hello.”
“Bag?”
“Oh yeah, sorry.” I felt my face turn scarlet. He just laughed and took the violet suitcase.
“Here you go turn it into that lady over there.” He pointed to an older woman who was quickly piling bags and putting them onto a conveyor belt. She took it and instructed me to go to security. I walked over and was told to remove everything from my pockets, take off my shoes, and put my carry-on into a small bucket. My carry-on was a small backpack with my phone, gum, my wallet, and an extra $20.
I walked through the metal detector with ease and then they let me go. I pulled out my Iphone and checked the time. It was 3:00 P.M. my flight leaves in an hour. I walked into a little bookstore and bought a book about traveling and a book titled, Little Blue Envelopes. I walked around looking for anything else I would need. It was December and I knew it would probably cold wherever I went so I bought this cute white hoodie with a picture of Earth and on the back it said World Traveler.
The clerk was an elderly woman. “Hello dear.”
I smiled and replied, “Hi.”
“You sure are a cute little thing.” I blushed and laughed. I watched as she quickly scanned my items. “$9.84, sweetie.” I handed her my $20. “Where are you going, darlin’?”
“Everywhere,” I said and walked out. I saw a Smoothie King directly across from the Barnes and Noble. “One small strawberry-banana smoothie, please.” I told the small, pixie looking girl working at the counter.
“$2.20” I handed her the money, when the first call for my flight was announced. I walked to the gate and got in line behind the other people waiting. I checked my phone again it was 3:40 P.M. I knew there was one thing I hadn’t done. I tapped the green phone icon and dialed her number.
1-325-450-1234.
It felt like an eternity before she answered.
“Hello.”
“Mom?”
I could hear my heart pounding.
“Alaina? Where are you?”
“The airport.”
“Oh…wait…WHAT!”
“I’m going on an adventure Mom. Today was my last day of high school. A-a-a-and umm I didn’t know what to do with my life. Don’t worry I’m using my money.”
“Alaina you better not even think-“
“It’s time to board my plane. I’m sorry. I’ll call you when I land.”
“ALAINA! I SWEAR-“
“Bye Mom.”
And that was it. The hardest task was completed. I turned off my phone and put it in my Victoria’s Secret backpack.
“Last call for flight 350 to Dallas.”
The line began moving forward while the flight attendant checked tickets and boarding passes. Here we go, I thought. She checked mine and pushed me forward. I walked through the tunnel and finally was on the plane. I picked the 3rd row and sat next to the window. Luckily nobody sat by me. After 10 minutes of listening to too peppy flight attendants explaining various things, the pilot came on and spoke. Then we began going down the runway. I said a prayer and then we were in the air.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

Gemini13 said...
Jan. 6 at 2:04 pm:
This is a excellent story! Keep it up!