Forever or Never

Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always wanted to find a way to combine my favorite mythical creatures into one story :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 Next »

Forever or Never Ch.6

After the confrontation with Daimek, I couldn’t focus on anything. So I decided just to ditch the rest of my classes and head home. It would take too long to walk there; it was a five minute walk, so I took advantage of my new powers for the first time and teleported. Instead of landing in my house, I began to free-fall.
Instincts took over, and I began to turn in mid-air so as to reduce the damage to myself. But just as I was going to turn onto my back, I hit the ground hard on my stomach. I lied there for a while, but after a while I forced myself up and looked around.
The place was like nothing I had ever seen before. The grass was soft and inviting, but a shade of black so deep you could see the subtle blue in it. The flowers were either a sharp red, or an extremely light black. In fact, everything in this place was red, black, or gold. I began to trudge along a golden brick path, yes I know it’s from the Wizard of Oz but this was different, and when I came to the end of the path I gasped.
There in front of me stood a fountain. Its design was breathtaking, from the doves spiraling towards the sky, to the intricate symbols that flowed on the marble. The water shot up through the center of the doves, it contrasting all of the colors in the area. It was crystal blue, the kind of water you only dreamed about seeing.
Behind me, a familiar voice taunted, “You just couldn’t stay away could you? You must really find me interesting. Even when you don’t realize you are, you’re coming back to this place. Back to me,” he smiled a cocky smile and grabbed my arm tightly.
I didn’t bother to turn around, I just spat in his general area. “I’m no one’s property, so unless you would like to lose that arm, I suggest you release me,” I snarled at him. He just held on tighter with one of his wings pushing me closer to him. I flipped a knife off of my free arm and attacked. He jumped back, cursing.
“Get out of here!” I stood my ground. “Get out!” he screamed again, and a bright light enveloped me. Next thing I knew, I was back in my room, drenched in sweat. It was midnight, the hunting hour of the creatures I swore to kill. I began to dress in my hunting gear, but I noticed Nimue in a corner and stopped. She pointed to my window, an odd look haunting her striking features.
I crossed my bedroom to the window in a hurry. I threw it open, and I saw two things: I saw Daimek standing next to a baby blue Ferrari, and I saw Aiken with his wings fully outstretched and I look matching Nimue’s. I realized with a start that I had to choose one. Aiken stretched out his hand, and I took it without hesitation. He half smiled and we set off into the sky leaving Daimek alone and confused. I smiled too with the thought.
The crisp night air made my cheeks flush with color. I hadn’t noticed before how colorful Aiken’s wings were, or how powerful they were. He seemed to have no problem at all carrying the two of us.
“Do you realize what he is? What he has done in his time? Of course you don’t, you don’t know half of what I know. He is a… He’s a hellhound,” Aiken said, then waited. I didn’t need to ask who it was we were talking about, I just knew.
For a long time, Aiken’s wings beating were the only thing that kept it from being dead silent. But after a while I sucked in my pride and answered him, “So what does that have to do with me? It sounds like this is your problem. Why do you care anyway? You almost killed Jill and I, and you don’t care enough to tell us why! You’re just as bad as him!” I shouted, failing all of my efforts to keep my cool. The tension seemed to build around us. I began to apologize for losing it, but stopped myself.
Aiken shifted his wings slightly and we began to descend. As we neared the ground, Aiken wrapped his arms tighter around me. We hit the ground kind of hard, but Aiken didn’t notice and didn’t release me. He leaned in close enough to where I could feel his breath on my face. I resisted the odd urge to kiss him, and we stood there, our foreheads pressed against each other’s.
Suddenly, Aiken pulled me closer to him. Our lips touched, rough at first, but the kiss softened quickly. I leaned into him, hoping he understood that it was ok. He pulled away, his face an expression of pain. I protested slightly but he silenced me. “I hate to ruin this moment, but I have to explain things. You of all people deserve that. First let me explain about Daimek. Like I said before, he’s a hellhound, but it’s more of your problem than you think. Daimek was hired to kill you. But unless he is in his true hound form, the legend can’t come true.”
“What legend?” I asked, feeling stupid.
“Well, it’s not exactly a legend; sadly it’s very true. If you see Daimek three times in his true form, you will die a horrible and gruesome death. No matter who you are,” Aiken sighed and turned away. “Now I guess I need to tell you about who I am, and where I came from. It will all make sense soon.”

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

sevandlilly said...
This might be a little strange, but I LOVE all your characters names:)

LivEvil said...
As good as always, names hard to pronounce in my head....as always. Stupid itallics was on....But i likes it

emilybwrites said...
wow this was great! check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate it thanks :)