Forever or Never

Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Well, I'm writing this based on a dream of mine..... not to mention the fact that I've always wanted to find a way to combine my favorite mythical creatures into one story :)  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

Forever or Never Ch.1

“Strange Nairi. On your coming of age ceremony the moon shines with a great amount of passion. The only time it did that for me was at my first Autumnal Equinox ceremony, and I can barely remember that. You obviously don’t know how lucky you are.”
“Nimue, you know mother would kill you if she heard you talking like this. Especially at a ceremony this important. Are those your sneakers!? You obviously want to be expelled from our family.” I tried to keep my cool, but I could feel my voice rising in frustration.
“At least I don’t associate with mortals in high school,” Nimue snapped. I watched as she backed away from the small stage that my mother was standing on. Mother said the opening words, and I stepped on the stage. The spotlight shone on me. It was my time to shine I guess.
“Now of age, Nairi’s magick will become stronger than ever. Nairi, step forward,” Mother commanded. I did what she asked, going through the motions that I had been trained in my whole life. “Nairi…welcome to the Xenia clan. Take your rightful place of honor with your sister Nimue and I. The royal family….is complete.” Nimue hurried onto the stage, and with a flick of our fingers, fireworks shot up. Deafening cheers rose up from the crowd.
A small tear fell from my eye, but I brushed it away quickly. Mother hated it when I showed any kind of mortal emotion. That included sadness. Slowly I backed off the stage and left Nimue and mother alone. I watched the fireworks solemnly. Eventually the crowd had cleared away, and mother and Nimue had gone home in silence. I settled down on the ground to begin my vigil. Heavy raindrops were now falling, interrupting my silent meditation. Cold winds nipped at every exposed part of my body, and it wasn’t long before I was shivering uncontrollably. Eventually I stopped trying to meditate and got up from the soaked ground.
I found the path that I had cleared many years ago, and I trudged along it. It was something I had always done, give or take the rain part. Birds were huddled under giant leaves, sweetly singing their rain songs. It was possibly the greatest thing I had ever heard. Distracted, I didn’t notice a large root covered by some damp leaves. I fell to the ground with a searing pain going up my left hand. Mud completely covered me, and my hand was terribly sprained. That didn’t stop me though, for I meditated on the ground while covered in filth.
Somewhere in the time I had meditated, I guess I fell asleep. I never really “slept”, more like I dozed. Where I came from, if you slept, you died. The rain stopped pounding against me, and I sat up. I shivered, but it wasn’t from the cold this time. Something was really wrong, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.
I looked around me, and I noticed a small spherical barrier that was shielding me from the rain. Only the wind could get in, but it couldn’t get out. Circling around me, it made a sort of mini tornado. Quickly I tried to drop the barrier. When it wouldn’t budge, I realized that it wasn’t my barrier. This meant someone had been watching me, waiting to strike. Which meant that I wasn’t alone.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next »

This book has 3 comments. Post your own now!

sevandlilly said...
This might be a little strange, but I LOVE all your characters names:)

LivEvil said...
As good as always, names hard to pronounce in my head....as always. Stupid itallics was on....But i likes it

emilybwrites said...
wow this was great! check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment/rate it thanks :)