The Realm of Nightmares | Teen Ink

The Realm of Nightmares

By GraveRobber BRONZE, Oceanside, California
GraveRobber BRONZE, Oceanside, California

Forget you! I'm taking a nap!

Author's note: I have absolutely no clue where I'm going with this or what the theme might be, but if you have any ideas please tell me, cause seriously, I'm writing this thing and I don't even know.

I failed. I'm sorry, I so failed. Tell me if I should go on or not, please.

"Good night Dad," Sliver said as she walked down the hall, into her small bedroom. "Good night Silver. Let God bless your silent slumber," Jack, her father, yelled down the hall. She sighed and closed the door. Her father often annoyed her with his constant talking of God. She liked that her father was a religious, cause he's done a lot of bad stuff in his life, but he talks about it all the time.

She sighed, 'Oh well.' She laid down on her bed and opened up her book, 'Maybe reading will get my mind off things.' She sighed and began to read, but then as soon as she opened the book. 'Forget this,' she sighed and placed the book on her night stand, 'I'm not in the mood for reading.' She yawned and rubbed her eyes. She turned off her table side lamp and pulled the blanket over her. She sighed, 'Maybe tomorrow will be a better day.'

She opened her eyes to only see black, "Hello? Is anyone here?" she asked. She turned around in a full circle, "Hello! Is anyone here?" she yelled. "Hello, Miss Lightning," a low demonic voice said. She jumped, "Who's there? Show your face," she demanded. "Now, now Miss Lightning, do not panic," the voice said. She chewed on her thumb thoughtfully, "Where am I? Can you at least tell me that?" The voice laughed, "You are on the path to the Realm of Nightmares." She nodded, "Wow, this is one crazy ass dream."
"Do you think this is a dream," the voice asked. She hit her hand across her chest, "Well no duh." The voice laughed again, "You are not dreaming Miss Lightning. This is the Realm of Nightmares. This is no dream this is real."

She shrugged, "Yes, so what do I have to do to get out?" The voice was silent once again. "Hello?" she asked, nothing. She noticed her hand was beginning to shake, "Are you still here?" Nothing. "Where do I go from here? There's no light. I can't see where I'm suppose to go," she said pulling on her collar.

She turned around and instantly lights from candles flickered down a long spiral staircase made from black stones. 'Is this the way I'm suppose to go?' she asked herself. She stepped forward and looked down the staircase. After awhile she could only see the wall. 'That's a lot of stairs,' she sighed, 'oh well, a journey of a thousand miles starts with one single step.'

'How long is this staircase? I'm starting to get board,' she said to herself. 'Board huh? Maybe I could fix that,' the demonic voice said with a slight chuckle. 'Oh so you're in my head too?' she asked, slightly frustrated. 'I'm everywhere Miss Lightning. I know and see everything. There isn't one thing that you've done that I don't know about,' the voice said. She laughed, 'Oh really? Then tell me something that no one else knows about me.'
'Okay, your father was sent to jail for killing your mother, and then he tried to kill you, that's why you have that scar on your back.' She gulped, 'Okay, so you do know everything, so then tell me Mister Voice, why am I here?' The voice laughed, "All in good time Miss Lightning, all in good time.' Then nothing. 'Stupid voice. Wait what did it mean by fixing my boredom?' she thought. She sighed and put her hands on her pockets, 'I'll find out later I guess.'

'Where am I know?'Sliver asked herself as she came into a long hallway filled with cobwebs and beautifully sculpted gargoyles. 'Wow, this is weird,' she thought, staring at a gargoyle. 'Do you like it?' the voice asked, 'they are known to keep away evil spirits, but here that isn't true, it brings the spirits to them.' She stared deeper into the gargoyles eyes to notice that they were glowing red. 'Creepy," she thought and pushed the thought into the back of her mind. She sighed and walked down deeper into the hallway.

'Your a brave girl, staring at the gargoyles eyes like that,' the voice said. 'What's the matter with the gargoyles eyes? The only thing strangle about them were that they were glowing red," she said with a sigh. The voice laughed, 'That's the reason. Never stare into the eyes of a gargoyle.' She pushed her glasses up back onto the bridge of her nose, 'Why are you helping me?'she asked accusingly. 'Cause I have to make sure you get to where you need to go,' the voice said calmly. 'And what if I don't want your help?'
'Then you have no choice then to take it,' the voice said calmly, then nothing.

She snorted, 'Annoying voice.'She walked down the hall and into a large corridor. She opened the large door, revealing a room filled with portraits of teenagers Silvers age. 'This is the All of the Fallen' the voice said. 'Why is it called that?' she asked and walked inside. The door slammed shut behind her, making her jump. 'Because this is the room that has a painting over everyone that has tried to come to the Realm of Nightmares and has failed. I'm am hoping that you will not be one of them,' the voice explained. She nodded, 'So if I don't live I will have a portrait of me in here?'
'Yes you will, but we don't want that,' the voice said.

She nodded, 'There's one thing I don't understand Mister Voice, why do you want me alive?' The voice laughed, 'Don't you want to live?' he asked, she nodded. 'Then you'll trust me.' She nodded and looked around, there was no way out. The door she came in was gone, and there was no there was no other way out. 'How do I get out?' she asked, hoping for a reply, but instead got nothing. She groaned, "So uncool," she said out loud.

"He left you too?" a voice asked from the other side of the room. "Who's there?" Silver asked, her voice shaky. The voice laughed and walked into view. It was a teenage boy that had to be no older then fifteen. His hair was black like the night sky, but he had white strips that reminded her of the stares. He smiled at her, "Names Morgan, nice to meet yeah." She nodded, "Hello, I'm Silver."

"Ah, so I see you two have met,' the voice said. They both groaned, 'What do you want?' they asked, and gave each other surprised looks when they heard each others voices while talking to the voice. 'Do you two need help getting out?'They sighed, 'Well that's a stupid question,' they both said, 'of course we want to know.' The voice laughed, 'Each painting is one of a kind, but only one is the way out,' the voice said, then nothing. 'Annoying asshole,' the both thought.

"I don't understand what he wants from us," Morgan said as they began to look at each of the portraits. Silver shrugged, "Don't know, it's kind of scary being down here, you know?" He nodded, "I don't know how long I've been down here, it's felt like days." She nodded in agreement and stared at a portrait of a young girl, younger then her, maybe twelve or thirteen. In the portrait the girl was holding onto an ax and had a silver key around her neck.

She stared at the portrait until Morgan called for her. "Hey, I think I found the door." She rushed over and they both stared at a door behind a scared looking boy. "I've been trying to open it, but it won't budge," he explained sighing. She nodded and chewed on her thumb in thought, "I saw a key in another portrait but I don't know if we'll be able to get it."

'That's it, know your thinking like a true dreamer Miss Lightning,' the voice said happily. 'What do you mean?' she asked. 'The girl in the portrait, she holds the key to the door, but it won't be easy getting it from her,' the voice said. 'What do you mean that it won't be easy?' she asked, but got no reply.

"I know what to do," she said, turning to the portrait of the girl. "What do we do then?" he asked, crossing his arms. "We have to get the key that's around that girls neck, but the thing is, is that I don't know how we do that," she said and started to chew on her thumb. "Have you tried reaching into the portrait?"he asked. She shook her head, "I haven't. Do you think it will work?" He shrugged, "That's what I did with the door." She nodded and reached into the painting, her arm completely going threw the portrait. She could feel the key, but something was holding her back from bringing it out.

"Who do you think you are to try to take my key away form me?" the girl in the portrait screeched, taking hold of Silvers hand. Sliver used all of her strength and pulled her hand away from the girl and fell backwards onto the floor. The girl crawled out of the portrait and stood so her face was just inches away from Silvers, "How dare you try to take my key," she screeched and lifted her ax over her head, Sliver shut her eyes tight ready for her faith, "and know you will pay!" She swing down but with a Clank something stopped her from striking Silver.

"You'll have to go threw me if you want to kill her," Morgan grunted. Silver opened her eyes to see Morgan had stopped the girl by using a sword. "How the hell did you get that?" Silver asked. He shrugged and struggled to fight the girl, "I just said I needed something to fight with and all the sudden this sword appeared." She nodded and crawled out from under him. 'I need something to fight with," she thought and suddenly an ax, larger then the other girls, was in her hand. "Hey freak," she yelled and the girl pulled back from Morgan. "This fight is against you and me," she said and pointed her ax at the girl.

The girl grinned, "I was hoping you would say that." The girl walked toward Silver and stood over her, "You're gonna regret ever coming here," she hissed. Sliver laughed, "To late," she raised her ax and struck her right in the head, "I already regret it." She pulled the ax out and the girl turned to dust, leaving only the silver key. "How did you do that?" Morgan asked, panting. She shrugged, "I don't know but all I care about is that we have the key, so know we can get out of here." Morgan nodded and the walked toward the portrait of the boy.

'Now you're thinking like a true dreamer Miss. Lighting. You defeated your first nightmare,' the voice said. 'What do you mean? Why is it so important that I'm a dreamer?' she asked. The voice laughed, 'All in good time Miss Lightning.' She groaned, 'You've been saying that a lot haven't you?' The voice laughed again then nothing. She sighed and pushed her glasses back onto the bridge of her nose. "This is insane," she murmured. "You get use to it after a while," morgan said, sticking his hand into the painting and unlocking the door, making the painting swing wide open.

"Cool," Morgan murmured and walked through the door, Silver sighed and followed him. "Where do we go from here?" she asked as they came into a fork in the road. Morgan shrugged, "I don't know, you seem to be the one who talks to the Dark Lord the most." She looked at him, "Who the hell is the Dark Lord?" He laughed, "The guy who's been talking to us." She shrugged, "I've been calling him Mister Voice." Morgan laughed and shrugged, "I don't know. Call him whatever you want."

She nodded, 'Okay Mister Voice, can you help us out?'
'What do you mean by help?' the voice asked. 'I mean which way do we go?' she asked, irritation in her voice. 'Oh, well which way do you think is best?' She shrugged, 'I don't know, that's why I'm asking you.' The voice asked, 'Well what does your gut tell you?' She shrugged, 'It's telling me that if I go left, bad things will happen, but if I go right worse things will happen.' The voice laughed again, 'Then trust your gut, go left, see what happens, but I suggest getting some new weapons.' She looked at her hand, her ax was gone, 'Where did it go?' she asked accusingly. 'Do you think that I would only allow you one weapon? Come on, I'm not that cruel.' She sighed, 'Okay.' The voice laughed, then nothing.

"What did he say?" Morgan asked. "He said to go left, and that we need new weapons if we want to live," she said chewing on her thumb. "Okay, well how do we get those?" Morgan asked, crossing his arms. She shrugged, "Just how we did it last time."
'I need a weapon, guns,' she thought and instantly two guns were in both of her hands. "You know I could get use to this." Morgan nodded and soon a large Kama was in his hand. "What the hell is that?" Silver asked, giving the Kama a strange look. "Their called Kama's their Samurai weapons." She nodded, "Whatever, lets just go." Morgan nodded and thy walked down the lightly lit hallway.

"This is very unnerving," Morgan murmured as he looked over his shoulder nervously. Sliver shrugged, "It's okay, I guess." Morgan gave her a strangle look, "How are you not scared? We're trapped in only God knows where and you just fought a girl that crawled out of a picture, how are you so calm?" She shrugged, "I don't get scared to easily. Never had, never will." Morgan glared at her, "Freak." She looked at him and pushed her glasses up back onto the bridge of her noise, "I suggest you don't call me that," she said, shooting him a creepy smile. "What? Freak?" he asked tauntingly. She grabbed his collar, "Yes, freak. You have no clue what that name has put me through, so I suggest you shut up right now before I take this gun and put it to your head," she threatened pulling her gun out her pocket and in front of Morgans face.

'Now, now Miss Lightning. There is no need to get angry,' the voice said. She growled, 'Oh yeah? Why isn't there?'
'Because you two need each other. If one of you dies then you cannot go on and you will either die or get killed,' the voice explained. She let go of Morgans collar and marched forward. "What did he say?" Morgan asked running up to her. "Nothing, don't worry about it," she said pushing the conversation into the back of her mind. "Oh, okay."

They stopped at a door after some time with a sign that read, "Welcome to Hell."
"What does that mean?" Morgan asked. Sliver looked at him, "Exactly what it says, welcome to Hell."