The Frozen Castle | Teen Ink

The Frozen Castle

By royal19, Davis, California
royal19, Davis, California

Author's note: it was an assignment in my english class called "A Hero's Journey." i hope it can become bigger that it is and I hope teens and lots of people will like it.

-1735- Mrs. Anderson looked out of her upstairs bedroom window and turned to face her husband. “I can’t understand why Samuel doesn’t talk to anyone,” she replied uncertainly.
“Dear, I know you worry about him being alone, now that his parents have died, but we can only do so much for him,” sighed Mr. Anderson.
Outside all the trees, if there were any, were dead and witling to the ground. Grass was dead and gone as a desert.
Across the common, Samuel Samson sat in his father’s favorite leather chair, looking out the window seeing Mr. and Mrs. Anderson staring back. Samuel got up and opened the front door with a creek. He put on his scarf and hat and sat in a rocking chair on the porch, watching deer walk through what was left of the trees. Small red and brown birds came and ate from the birdfeeder. When Samuel looked up to the sky, he was reminded that it was frozen. Literally frozen, like looking up from the bottom of a frozen lake. That was why everything in his village was so gloomy, freezing and sad. The sky never rained, never snowed, it never even let the sun shine down from it.
There was a man, a horrible being who lived far away. Thousands of miles away. He called himself the Ice Lord. Samuel knew he controlled the sky and made the land a huge freezer.
Samuel frowned and got back up to go inside his small, wooden, four room house to have breakfast. He loved having toast with sugar and cinnamon on it. There were only seventeen apples left. The last time he remembered seeing his parents they were stock piling on apples. There must have been hundreds. His parents knew they, or maybe just Samuel would need them. His parents dressed like they were going to go live on the ice, they left the door and Samuel never saw them again. His parents couldn’t have just left him as a young boy, only five years old, could they? His parents promised they would come back.
“We will return Samuel, we promise,” he remembered his mom explaining.
“Your mother and I are going to try to make things right,” his father added.
That was the last thing they said to him. Although, Samuel had been hearing voices in his head lately, they were too muffled to understand. Samuel kept sitting at the table, daydreaming about his parents nonstop. He was also daydreaming about the sky, how something, that was supposed to be so beautiful could become so still and frightening. Even in the middle of summer (which was hard to discern because the weather never changed) the sky seemed even more frozen.
He looked out the window next to the table and saw a few deer about 40 feet away minding their own business. All of the sudden their ears shot up.
BANG! BANG!
The deer took off running as fast as they could, getting closer and closer to Samuel’s house. The whole house vibrated as they were passing, but one slowed down and staggered a little. It landed on its front knees and collapsed to the ground. The deer had a bullet wound in its side and one in its back right leg. The poor deer died. Samuel quickly looked away and tears formed in his eyes. He could not stand the thought or site of anything dying. That was his greatest fear, death, leaving this world and moving on to whatever followed. He was scared to of it, and was scared when he realized his parents could be gone from this world. Samuel was tired of seeing poor animals die and of the weather being so cold. Something had to be done about the Ice Lord. Could anything be done?
I really wish I could do something about the Ice Lord and stop frozen sky, but how can I. I’m not brave, I’m shy and scared, he thought to himself.
Rumbling could be heard through the air. It was the Ice Lord laughing at all the power he had and all the dismay he was causing throughout the land. It was faint, but at times it could get very loud and very frightening.
All of a sudden a glowing blue light filled the room and Samuel’s entire house shook and vibrated. He discovered that the light was coming from outside and wasn’t sure if he should go out or not. Samuel quickly walked to the front door, but opened it cautiously. The Andersons had come out to see what was going on. Samuel walked over to them bundled up in his gloves, jacket, scarf, and hat.
“What is it?” he asked trembling.
“I have no idea, the frozen sky is becoming blue and even more freezing!” quivered Mrs. Anderson.
More people came out of their homes to look at the sky.
“I feel a lot colder all of a sudden,” shivered Mr. Anderson.
Out of nowhere, a roaring wind came thrashing through the village and the loudest sound of all came from the sky.
“HAHAHAHAHA,” bellowed the Ice Lord.
His voice seemed to pierce through the people in the village and Samuel could swear he saw the houses come off the ground at least a foot, then land back down.
“I AM THE ICE LORD, KING OF ALL THE LANDS! I RULE EVERYTHING AND WILL CONTINUE TO RULE FOR ALL OF MILLENIA! NO ONE CAN CONQUER ME AND IF ANYONE IS STUPID ENOUGH TO TRY I WILL DESTROY THEM!”
The rumbling faded and subsided. The blue, glowing light disappeared and left everyone shaking in fear.
There it was again, that muffled voice in Samuel’s head. There was no way he could tell what it was saying, but somehow, the voice seemed a little bit clearer, or maybe just louder.
“Wha… What was that?” stammered Samuel.
“I believe the Ice Lord is getting stronger,” quivered Mr. Anderson.
“How, how could he get stronger,” asked Samuel, “what more damage could he do?”
“I don’t know when, but I think soon he will turn air to ice and any living thing that isn’t already part of his army into freeze drones that work for him.
“What, he has an army?” asked Samuel astonished, “and what are freeze drones?”
“Samuel,” chimed in Mrs. Anderson, “we don’t know exactly what they are, we have never seen one, but we are sure they would kill anyone who confronted them.”
“Ahhhhhhhhh!” screamed a woman standing next to her own house, “just go die!”
Samuel, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson hung their heads knowing that the woman couldn’t take any more of frozen sky and the Ice Lord.
“Something has to be done, someone has to try and do something about that horrible monster,” said Mrs. Anderson,”I don’t know how much more of this I can take either.”
“You Samuel,” muttered the mysterious voice in his head.
“What?” Samuel asked uncertainly.
“You Samuel, you need to face the Ice Lord. You need to stop frozen sky. You can do this Samuel, you can do this,” whispered the voice in his head.
“Who is this? What are you?”
“You will find out soon enough Samuel. Go, go to the Ice Lord and journey to his castle. I will always be here for you and we will help you on your journey,” the voice said.
“We?” exclaimed Samuel.
“Yes, I told you that you will find out soon enough.”
Samuel looked at Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and went inside. He sat in the chair and thought to himself.
“I’m not brave, I can’t go on this journey, there is no way,”
He sat a while longer staring at the front door.
“I have to!” he yelled.

The next morning Samuel woke up early and grabbed anything that would keep him warm. Samuel picked up a bag and put apples in it. Any other food he could find went into it also. He stepped outside and went to go say goodbye to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson.
“I have realized I need to go and I have no idea how I am going to get there,” commented Samuel, “goodbye.”
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson’s jaws dropped as Samuel trudged away.
He had been walking for about ten minutes when he turned around and saw everyone in his village waving him a safe voyage. Samuel swallowed hard and kept walking. His nose and ears stung with coldness. With every step he took, the ice covered grass sounded as if he was walking on small bones. He was scared of the journey ahead, wondering what he would encounter. Samuel kept thinking about the voice that had told him to go. Was it really going to help him? Was it the Ice Lord messing with his mind, sending him into a horrible trap? The poor boy really wanted to turn back, but he had gone too far already. There was absolutely nothing out here. No animals, no bushes or trees. He was out here totally alone. It was scary. The day was done, it was getting dark. Samuel stopped to sleep for the night, not knowing how many nights he would have to sleep in this barren wasteland.
When he woke up the next morning he ate an apple, picked up his belongings and traveled on. Samuel still had no clue if he was headed on the right course. Then, just as suddenly as the glowing blue light appeared in his village, part of the frozen sky became brighter. It was far off, many miles away to the East a bit. Samuel didn’t know what this meant. He did have a strange feeling it was guiding him, telling him which way to go. He decided to follow it, hoping it was leading him to the Ice Lord. Samuel kept on walking and soon hours turned into days, and days turned into weeks.
Late in the afternoon one day Samuel realized that he wasn’t walking on grass anymore. It felt harder, colder and slipperier. He glanced down and saw he was walking on ice!
The seventeen year old with tattered clothes and a ruffled scarf trudged on in the middle of a frozen land. Weeks later, Samuel saw something in the distance and almost cried. He saw what looked like a small hut sitting in the middle nowhere. A small line of gray smoke came out of the chimney. As he came up to the hut he pounded on the door. It opened up a little, paused and quickly opened up all the way. A woman who looked to be in her late 60’s stood inside. The first thing she said to Samuel flabbergasted him.
“I have been expecting you a long time Samuel Samson.”

“My name is Hanah,” explained the woman, “before you say anything Samuel I must explain things a little better. I know you have been hearing a voice in your head. Samuel, that is your mother. She told you to come on this journey and she knew when you were ready. Her name was Mary and your father’s name was Gabe. They did die. They were very good people. Both of them wanted to stop the Ice Lord. Before they left, they made sure you would be okay in the village. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have been keeping an eye on you all of this time. Mary and Gabe made sure you had enough food. They came to defeat the Ice Lord and they failed. He killed them, but they are still with you. The only way you managed to get here was because you followed the sky that was lit up by your father. They are both leading you to finish what they could not.”

“Oh,” replied Samuel at a loss for words.

“You may stay here for a few nights if you wish. I have another mattress you can sleep on while you are here. Here are some blankets. Good night Samuel.” And with that, Hanah closed the door behind her as she walked into her room.

Samuel stayed there for four nights. It was the best sleep he had for a long time. On the morning of the fourth day he was ready to continue on, although he was terrified of what was to come.

“Hold on Samuel,” declared Hanah, “I need to explain one more thing to you and show you someone,”

Samuel followed Hanah to the back of the hut outside. There lying wide awake was the largest polar bear Samuel had ever seen.

“Whoa!” yelled Samuel, “polar bears aren’t kept as pets.”

“He is not a pet, but a guide,” explained Hanah, “his name is Neil.” “He will guide you to the Ice Lord’s castle. Neil is very old and very wise. Now, I must explain to you the Ice Lords army. He calls it his hidden army. There are ice scorpions and freeze drones that roam the land and more as you get closer to him.”

“Ice scorpions?” stammered Samuel.

“Yes Samuel, you must continue on, you can defeat the Ice Lord. Here, I have to give you this sword. It is called the Red Sword. It is the only way you will kill the Ice Lord. Go! Go Samuel!”
Hanah lifted him onto Neil as he stood nine feet in the air. Neil lumbered on as Samuel laid against him, hugging his warm, soft fur. The one thing that Samuel didn’t realize about Neil was that he talked. As weeks went by and Samuel got used to Neil, Neil explained how he guided Samuel’s parents to the Ice Lord’s castle and how he was able to steal the Red Sword that was once the Ice Lord’s.

Neil talked to Samuel with his deep, but soothing voice, “Samuel, when your parents were distracting the Ice Lord I was able to take the Red Sword. It was the only way they could have killed him. Only a human can kill the Ice Lord. I was too late and I was not able to give it to them in time. The Ice Lord killed your parents. I brought the Red Sword back to Hanah, and your mother’s voice told Hanah everything, saying how some day she would help guide you here to retrieve it.”

“Neil, that is incredible, but I am too tired to listen any longer, let’s talk later,” sighed Samuel. And with that, Samuel dozed off into a deep sleep.

The next day they ran into a freeze drone. He was hard to see, that is probably why he was part of the Ice Lord’s hidden army. Neil rose up onto his hind legs and smashed it with an enormous blow to head. The freeze drone was just about to stab Neil in the stomach with his sharp, pointed hands. Samuel flinched as it got killed. Up ahead, Samuel saw something monstrous, a weird figure.

“Oh no,” muttered Neil to himself.

“Wha…What is it?” asked Samuel nervously.

“It is an Ice Scorpion.”

The creature towered over them standing sixteen feet tall with its tail in the air ready to strike. It looked as if it was carved out of ice. Its worse features were its gnashing teeth, deadly stinger that shot frozen fluid into your body that would kill in one minute, and the razor sharp claws.

“Samuel the sword, throw the sword at it,” cried Neil.

Samuel heaved it at the scorpion and it stuck into its claw. The scorpion suddenly jerked its whole body downward as if being stomped on, then crumbled up, deformed, to half its size. The creature started to melt as the sword glowed a ghostly red and the scorpion burst into a million icicles.

As soon as it happened, Neil ran as fast as he could catching his breath sometimes. They came to an abrupt halt and Samuel felt like he got the wind knocked out of him as he looked up to see the magnificent Ice Castle!

The castle looked like a city towering hundreds of feet in the air.

“Samuel, you must go in there alone, I cannot accompany you. I will watch for ice scorpions, but I won’t be able to do much about them. Take the Red Sword,” whispered Neil.

Just then, Samuel felt a piercing pain run down his left arm. A freeze drone stabbed Samuel in his shoulder with its spear like arms.

“No!” bellowed Neil as he quickly knocked the freeze drone dead “Samuel, soon your blood will freeze, you must kill the Ice Lord and you wound will heal. Go!”

Samuel had never felt pain like it before, but he ran through the spectacular entrance archway made of ice. There was a winding, slippery path door. He opened it. Inside, the Ice Castle made Samuel drop his sword sending a loud echo place.

“WHO IS THERE!” screamed the Ice Lord.

Samuel quickly looked around the castle caring the Red Sword with him. His arm was starting to feel numb and his head felt dizzy. A humongous shadow was cast over Samuel from behind. He turned and looked up to face the Ice Lord.

The color from Samuel’s face drained and he fell backwards. The Ice Lord stood twenty feet in the air with huge icicles as his spiky hair. Frozen, black sockets were where his eyes should have been and he wore a nasty beard. His dinner-plate sized hands made of ice had endless amounts of power surging through them.

“I KNOW YOU BOY!” yelled the Ice Lord, “YOUR PARENTS DIED EASILY! THEY HAD NO CLUE AS TO HOW TO DEFEAT ME. NOW I AM GOING TO KILL YOU TOO!”

“I know how to defeat you,” yelled Samuel!

“WHAT?” bellowed the Ice Lord.

“You are wrong, I’m going to kill you!!”

Samuel quickly thrust the Red Sword with all his might into the Ice Lord’s knee. He stood back and watched.

“WHAT IS HAPPENING?” “NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOO…!”

The Ice Lord died even more violently than the first ice scorpion ending with the loudest explosion of ice shards ever. Finally the Red Sword glowed and vibrated on the ground. It too exploded into dust. It had been meant for one stab on the Ice Lord and one stab only, although it was able to kill an ice scorpion also. After all these years of suffering, the Ice Lord had died and his castle slowly melted and steamed. Huge pieces of ice crashed and pounded on the ground, crumbling from the highest points of his towers.

Outside, Samuel ran to check on Neil; feeling was already returning to his arm. Out of nowhere a horrible screeching sound came from the sky and a humongous crack formed as far as the eye could see. Huge drops of water fell from the sky and pieces of frozen ice came crashing down. Samuel knew that frozen sky was melting and dying along with the Ice Lord.

When he saw Neil, well, Neil wasn’t okay. Samuel ran up to him.

“Samuel,” he stuttered, “I was attacked by an Ice Scorpion. I’m dying.”

A loud moan escaped Samuel’s mouth.

“It is okay Samuel, my time has come, everyone and everything will die eventually. Now go back to your village and tell them of you journey.”

“Okay Neil, goodbye. I love you and I will never forget you.

“I love you too Samuel, goodbye. And remember, I will always be with you.”

Neil laid his head down and died. Samuel realized he too would die eventually and was okay with it.

It took him three weeks to walk past Hanah’s hut, and there, standing watching him, was a dog. It was Neil, now remade as a Huskie. Samuel and the Huskie made eye contact and had an understanding. Samuel walked on. It was two months before Samuel reached his village and he was as brave as ever. He hugged Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and everyone in the village. He was no longer afraid of death and was ready to be with his parents when the time came; which would not be for a long time. Samuel brought back the gift of enlightenment and told all the younger kids about bravery and courage.

Then something very bright shined into his eyes and filled the whole village with light. It was the sun, for so many years no one thought about seeing it. Now, for the first time everyone in the village saw the beauty of the sun!

This book has 1 comment.

on Nov. 27 2011 at 3:41 am
applesauceHater SILVER, Nikolaevsk, Alaska
Loved it!Real cool story line. Love how the sky was frozen. verry original. Loved that sentence in chapter 2 how you exclaimed the frozen grass like walking on bones. It sent me a chill down my spine alright. Awesome imagery. This is probably annoying to hear but was wondering you would want to read one of my pieces. completely up 2 u though