A Teen's World | Teen Ink

A Teen's World

By fictionnutt96, Danville, Indiana
fictionnutt96, Danville, Indiana

Author's note: Apacolypses have allways been a favorite subject of mine, and this has been on the writing desk for some time now. I hope this inspires people to open their minds and think about what they would do if their known world dissapeared.

Here’s the Story

I’d say I’m your average fifteen year old girl. I struggle with my weight, I love to listen to music, and I’m always with my friends. I’m just like anyone else really. And I’m here to tell you, that extraordinary things can happen to anybody, at any time. Believe me, I know that first hand. All those things you thought were fantasy, which stayed behind the bars of printed words, they are there. It takes the near extinction of man-kind for me to figure that out.

Call me crazy, but everything you’re going to read is true. This is the story of the world when it’s left to mostly teenagers.

Click, click , click. One, two, three. Left foot in front, always. The hot July sun beat down on my shoulders, probably burning them. It was only my second marching band practice, and I’d dropped five pounds since school ended. Let it be over soon, please let it be over soon!

“C’mon Regan! Keep going!” Craig called to me. I rolled my eyes and forced my legs to move across the football field. The metronome clicked off, and Mr. Hartsaugh spoke through the megaphone, “Ok everyone! You’ve got a thirty minute break, rest up, and make sure our freshmen don’t pass out.”

I collapsed onto the ground, my legs unable to hold me up any longer. I lay there, wishing the sun would fry me like bacon, putting me out of my misery. My mouth felt like a desert, even thought I was caked in sticky sweat. I was going to be the first to pass out, great! Only the second practice and I’m already a weenie to the upperclassmen. So much for new friends.

I felt someone slide their arms under me, and then sling me over their shoulder. My breakfast began creeping up, but a few deep breaths and I was good. The shoulder I was slung over was broad, so I assumed it was one of the boys…

“Since when do you rescue faint freshies?” Derik laughed, poking my head with a drumstick. He was one of the juniors, a percussionist. He was known to be a pessimist, and supper annoying. I thought he was cool, except for the fact that he tended to treat any non-percussionist newbie really badly. If you needed someone to harshly correct you and call you stupid repeatedly, you just had to find Derik.

“Since she need my help. Go help Cathie, she looks bad.” The voice of the person carrying me said. My blood rushed to my cheeks as I recognized the voice, Logan. He’d befriended me almost instantly, even if I wasn’t a percussionist. One of the very few upperclassman boys I wasn’t afraid of, Logan was actually a really awesome guy, once you looked past the adorably geeky exterior… it’s like I’ve known him forever. Suddenly, the harsh sunlight of the summer was replaced with the cool bite of air conditioning.
The sudden temperature shocked me out of my near comatose state.
“Fine.” Derik sighed. Logan continued to carry me, all the way to the band room. There he lay me down on the cool linoleum floor, looking down on me. He was obviously worried, why he’d be worried about me, I don’t know. I nearly rolled my eyes at his obvious worry, so evident in his hazel eyes.
“Are you gonna be ok?” He asked, sitting next to me.
“Yeah,” I coughed, “I just need some water.”
“On it.” He smiled, rising. “Who knew freshmen are so helpless?”
“Oh please.” I laughed dryly, “You don’t have to march Mr. Marimba man.”
He sauntered out of the room, laughing, just as Josh and Derik were helping Bridget and Cathie in. Bridget desperately needed some Aloe Vera; she was redder than a lobster at Red Lobster. Cathie was so sweaty; she looked like she had just come out of a high-fire kiln, all shiny. Kim staggered in behind them, got two steps into the room, and face planted. Josh immediately hauled her off the floor, calling out, “Jessie! Our daughter fainted!”
It’s a long story I might explain later. Regardless of my severe condition, I chuckled under my breath.
Jessie ran into the room, supporting half of Kim’s weight, they chair-carried her into Mr. Hartsaugh’s office, laying her on the semi-soft carpeting. Everyone else filed in, either laughing or gulping down water. Logan was among them. He ambled on over towards us, beaming.
“Well, well.” He taunted us, “You all look about dead.” Cathie and Bridget, my two sisters, had crawled over to me.
You see, we’re not biologically sisters, we’re adopted. Bridget was tall with a medium frame, and dark auburn hair. The palest out of all of us, she burned the easiest, and had a dash of freckles across her nose. It’s only fair that she’s the youngest. Cathie was a little taller than me, with short, dark-blonde, hair. She had the darkest complexion, but the smallest frame. She’s the middle girl, but the one with the biggest attitude. Then you had me, the shortest with the largest frame and the hair that wavered between blonde and brunette. Of course, I had to be the oldest.
“Shut up Logan!” Cathie croaked, rolling onto her stomach. Her hair glistened with sweat, and her breathing was too labored for my liking.
“Sorry freshman.” He snickered. “I brought water.”
That immediately perked us up. Cathie forced herself into a sitting position, holding out her hand. Bridget even sat up, considering every move had to be torture for her. Smirking at our pain, Logan handed us each a water bottle. Melissa, Katie, Melanie, Yvonne, and Craig joined us, joking about our agony.
Then, while Melissa was doing an impression of Dobby from Harry Potter, something low and soft floated through the walls. It was like a tornado siren in the way it rose and fell in pitch, but it went from the tone of a foghorn to the upper octave of a French horn. “Hey guys,” I interrupted, “Do you hear that?”
They paused, listening. “Is that the tornado siren?” Yvonne asked, voicing my thoughts.
“Nah,” Katie replied, “It doesn’t sound right.”
“Mr. Hartsaugh!” Craig yelled over the chatter in the room, “What’s that sound?” Our band director looked over his shoulder at us, his brow furrowing as he concentrated. Something like dread crept into my stomach as I watched Mr. Hartsaugh’s expression change to horror.
“Everyone follow me!” He yelled. The terror in his voice instantly silenced the students. “This is an emergency, follow me now!”
Everyone got up quickly, and Derik even got Kim. Mr. Hartsaugh ran out of the room, Josh right behind him. Somewhere in all the hustle, Logan helped me up, towing me through the doors. My weak legs trembled under my weight, shaking even more out of fear. The siren was deafening, rattling my brain around in my skull. When we caught up, Josh, Paul, Mr. Hartsaugh, and Derik were breaking down the principle’s door. I clapped my hands over my ears, blocking out the noise and settling my brain. The feeling of looming disaster was trying to make me throw up my organs.
“Bridget!” I cried, “Cathie!” I needed them close; I just couldn’t shake this feeling. Bridget jogged back to me, and Cathie pulled Melissa back with her.
CRACK!
The guys had broken down the door. Everyone rushed in, calling to their friends and siblings. Mr. Hartsaugh and Devon pushed Mr. Princeton’s - the principal’s - desk over, revealing a trap door. Mr. Hartsaugh yanked it open, revealing a dark chasm below us.
“Everybody in.” Mr. Hartsaugh commanded.
We hesitated; Claire was even shaking with terror. After a few seconds, Josh grabbed Jessie’s hand and pulled her into the empty hole with him. Following their student leader, everyone else slowly grabbed a partner and jumped themselves. Soon I was at the mouth of the hole, toeing the edge.
I didn’t know I was shaking till Logan put his hand on my shoulder. I placed my hand on his, breathing deeply. “Do you want to jump with me?” He asked. I nodded, letting him stand beside me. “One.” He started.
“Two.” I continued. My knees were shaking as I peered into the dimly lit room below.
“Three.” Logan said quickly, pulling us both into the hole. We had about five seconds of freefall, in which I screamed, before we hit plastic. I looked down at the unfamiliar texture, and recognized the black material.
“Did we just land on a trampoline?” I asked, smiling.
“I think we did.” Logan laughed. I chuckled and crawled off the smooth trampoline. As soon as Logan and I had cleared it, Cathie and Melissa fell through the ceiling. Cathie squealed as she hit the trampoline, where as Melissa curled into a little ball. They froze for a minute, then scrambled off, obviously terrified. Bridged, and to my surprise, her boyfriend Eric followed. He was supposed to be here earlier, but he fails at arriving on time. Once they slid off the trampoline, they kissed.
“Ugh.” Logan complained, “That’s going to get old.”
“Believe me, you get used to it.” I replied, and I had. There was a time I wasn’t too fond of Eric, but the more I hung out with him, the more I saw why Bridget liked him. He complimented her perfectly, and he genuinely respected her. Yeah, the public displays of affection got annoying, but my sister was happy. Eric also knew that if he broke Bridget’s heart, she had two big sisters with black-belts.
Mr. Hartsaugh slid through the trapdoor, hanging on the handle so the door closed firmly behind him. He swung for a second, and then fell onto the trampoline, smiling grimly. Bridget immediately pulled away from Eric, blushing furiously. We stood there, waiting for Mr. Hartsaugh’s orders.
“Hey guys, can you do something for me?” He sighed, “I need everyone in here, can you do that for me?”
“Sure thing Mr. Hartsaugh!” Melissa smiled, grabbing Cathie.
“Actually, I need Regan and Cathie to stay.” Mr. Hartsaugh said, “I’ve got a few questions for them.”
“Ok.” Melissa shrugged, grabbing Bridget instead. The four of them ran into the shadows, already calling out to our band mates. Melissa and Bridget were always full on energy.
Mr. H turned to Logan and Eric, “Can you two help as well?” The boys nodded and walked slowly off into the recently lit space, disappearing through doors.
“What do you want us to do?” Cathie asked, messing with her hair.
“You two have your black belts, right?” He asked. We nodded yes, sharing a look. “I need you to teach the band whatever you know. When we leave this bomb shelter, I don’t want us to be totally unprepared for what we might meet out there.”
“This is a bomb shelter? Are we being bombed?!” Cathie cried her eyes wide.
“Very soon we will be.” He replied grimly. “I was going to tell you all about the threat over break, but our attackers beat me too it. I’ll explain everything when we get everyone gathered.”
“So you want us to teach the band karate?” I asked, one eyebrow arched. Many of the boys would claim they didn’t need it, and some of the girls… They wouldn’t take it well.
“Yes, myself and the rest of the staff as well.” Hartsaugh nodded.
“We can try, but I wouldn’t be surprised if some people get stubborn.” I warned. I heard voices coming towards us. “Especially the upper-classmen and some of the guard-girls.”
“We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.” He assured me. “You girls go take a seat, I’ve got a lecture to give.”
Cathie and I found Bridget and Eric sitting with Melissa, Logan, and Amber. I sat in between Amber and Logan, much to Amber’s urging. Amber was my band-aunt. We played the same instrument, baritone, and just really got along, even if she was a junior. She waved at her boyfriend, Ben, who was sitting with a sour looking Derik and a laughing Josh. As soon as Mr. H had did a quick head count, he only had to cough to get our attention.
“Ok, I know some of you are wondering what we are doing down here.” He began, some people already laughing. “So I shall ease your troubled minds. For a while now, there has been a thread of a foreign bombing. That’s why we did all those bomb drills at school before it was out. Well, today was not a drill.” I heard frantic whispers pass through the crowd. “We might feel the impact of the bombs, we might not. Regardless, we’ll be staying here for a while. I want all the upperclassmen and staff to see me once I’ve finished explaining what we’re going to do. Any questions so far?”
“What country is bombing us?” Josh called out.
“I have no clue. Any others?” Mr. Hartsaugh asked. Even thought I could see questioning looks on nearly everyone, Mr. H continued. “So here’s how things are going to work. There is clothing, food, bedding, bathrooms, and even some game rooms down here. We’re stocked to provide a school of 2’000 for two years at most, so food shortages won’t be a problem. Regardless, we might have to survive on this food for a while, so we will ration. Your bedroom will be a large room that you’ll share with your gender. Staff gets private rooms, but we will never be far, so I don’t want any boys in the girl’s room or vice-versa, understood?” Everyone voiced their promise, and some girls even giggled. We all knew that people would visit their boyfriends or girlfriends. “We will have meals in this room, and meetings like this when we have news for you. So I want you all to go explore, except for staff and upperclassmen.”
I got up, walking to the first hallway. I paused to wait for Cathie, Eric, and Bridget, smiling weakly when they caught up to me.
“Well, this sucks doesn’t it?” Cathie grumbled. “How long do you think we’ll be down here?”
“No clue.” I replied. “Where do you think we should start? This place is probably massive.”
“This way looks good.” Bridget sighed, looking down the hallway we stood in front of. She pulled Eric down the hallway, leaving Cathie and I to follow.
“I won’t be able to take constant Eric-Bridget for very long.” Cathie moaned.
“Look at it this way, everyone who is going out now will be with each other whenever possible, so all us single people might not survive anyway.” I laughed grimly.
“Ugh! Dig my grave already.” She moaned, grinning. “Or should we be digging Eric’s?”
“Not unless we have Bridget’s permission.” I sniggered. We walked into an open room, the young couple nowhere in sight. It was pretty large, with tons of weak cots lined up against the walls. Blankets and pillows were also stacked around the perimeter, and one wall was really a wall of cubbies, filled to the brim with clothes. I pulled out an item, a dull grey, and examined it. It appeared to be a short sleeved, knee length, dress. I pulled out the other clothes, which all turned out to be bras, underwear, and a couple pairs of jeans. A few pair of sweats was included as well, probably for sleeping in.
“Considering the bras, I’d assume this is the girl’s room.” I called to Cathie, who was examining one of the thousands of duvets.
“This will be our bedroom for an unknown amount of time? Oh joy.” She sighed. “This is really going to suck.”
“Oh cheer up.” I said, neatly folding the clothes. “Look at it as a huge, never ending, slumber party.” Cathie laughed, walking back over to me.
“Do you really think we’ll be ok?” She asked, helping me replace the clothes.
“Yeah, I do.” I smiled. “Of course I do.”
“Let’s go, we should find Bridget and Eric.” She sighed, messing up my hair. We sauntered out of the girl’s room, back towards the big room. On our way, we saw the game room, already occupied by half the band. Logan and Josh were playing Xbox, while at least ten of the girls were starting a Disney movie. The other boys were playing other video games, although some of them were cuddled against their girls in front of the Disney movie. A DDR mat sat out in front of an unoccupied Wii, something I never could resist.
“You know, I’m going to play some DDR.” I told Cathie, “Want to join me?”
“Nah, I’m going to watch Princess and the Frog.” She replied. I shrugged and headed over to the familiar matt. After starting the game, I immediately went to Truly Madly Deeply by Cascada, selecting the hardest level. Soon my feet were flying, pressing the arrows in sync with the screen. I loved playing DDR because it was fast-paced, and had great music. The lyrics flew through my head, coming out my lips in a rushed gasp. Soon I felt eyes on me, and friends calling out to one another.
“Jessie! Come watch this!” Josh called, “Regan’s rocking DDR!” I felt embarrassment knot my stomach, but I kept playing. Soon my mind slid into the game, and I didn’t notice that half the band had gathered to watch me play DDR. I eventually collapsed on the floor, my legs and hips throbbing. I knew my hair had to be a sweaty mess, but I ran my hand through it anyway. Some people cheered, helping me up. Someone handed me a water bottle, looking at me with a familiar sense of concern.
“You nearly passed out this morning Regan, you shouldn’t have played on the highest level.” Logan scolded. “Take a break ok? No more DDR today.”
“Are you kidding?” I wheezed, “I just got started!”
“No way. C’mon, they’ve just started Deathly Hallows part 2.” He said firmly. “Let’s go watch it.”
“Fine.” I moaned, allowing him to tow me away from the matt and sit me down next to him on a big beanbag chair.
This is how life went for a while. I hung out with Cathie, Bridget, Eric, and Logan. No one really liked the clothes we had, and none of the food we had was ever fresh, and there wasn’t much variety. Other than that, we were able to keep ourselves busy. The movie selection seemed endless, and I’d soon beaten everyone at all three DDR games we had, Michael Jackson the Experience, Just Dance 2, and Zumba Fitness. I wrote a lot, and did so many drawings and paintings with what little art supplies we had, that they were soon placed all around the girl cove. It was a weak attempt to bring back some of our former world, but it didn’t help much. We soon forgot what sunlight felt like, what it was like to be outside…

It's been about a year that the band has lived down in the bomb shelter, and no one has adjusted really well. This will be one of the last times the band is all together.

“Regan, there you are!” Logan called. I sat up, losing the invigorating staring contest the ceiling and I were having. “C’mon it’s time for dinner.”
“How do we know what time it is if we can’t see the sun?” I asked, still in my ‘deep thought’ mindset. “Do you ever wonder what it’s like up there?”
“I do all the time.” He sighed, “But it’s never good to wish for things you know you might not get. I’m happy down here with my closest friends, even though we might be missing out on other things.” His voice was full of sadness, like everyone else’s was. We lost our spirit; the Mad Hatter would say we lost our ‘muchness’. Even Cathie and Melissa seemed out-of-sorts recently. We were almost like ghosts, just going through the motions. I absolutely hated it, it was nearly intolerable. There were days I didn’t even get out of bed; I just stared at the ceiling. If I had to stay down there any longer I’d waste away.
“I don’t even remember what sunlight feels like, or water, or even sand. Do you know how long it’s been since I’ve been to a beach?” I murmured. It took some urging to get my head back underground. I spent the majority of my time imagining the world above, a world I missed dearly. I’d always been a dreamer, even before I was locked down in this prison for my own good. I’d wanted to travel the world, see as much as possible. How drastically had the surface changed, were once great monuments now ruins?
“You’ve got to stop thinking about that Regan,” Logan commanded gently, “You’ll feel better if you don’t.”
“How good can someone feel when they’re living like a mole?” I snapped, resuming my staring contest. I struggled to see past the plaster covered ceiling, see the sun and the clouds again. “I can never forget. If I forget, I will never be the same. I’ve already changed so much, everyone has changed so much! Why can’t we be high school students again? We’re office workers in our cubicles. Do chores, eat meals, and watch a movie, go to sleep. We don’t even know what time it is, and we still follow the same schedule!” I ranted. “I want change Logan! Is that too much to ask for?!”
He was silent as I wrapped myself into a ball and breathed heavily.
“I know this is hard for you Regan. You’re one of the most free-spirited people here. It’s one reason you’re easily the most amazing girl I know.” He consoled me. “But you’ve got to try to appreciate what you’ve got for now, and then you can celebrate. Let’s go get some food, you need it.” I could hear concern in his voice, honest-to-goodness concern. So what if I’d skipped a bunch of meals now? What difference did it make?
“I’m not hungry.” I muttered. Logan cursed behind me and walked away, calling out to Cathie and Bridget. Soon a pair of footsteps was hurrying down the hall; Bridget was beside me in a flash.
“C’mon Regan, you can’t keep skipping meals.” She sighed. That was Bridget for you, straight to the point. “We need to keep our strength up, especially if we’re going to be prepared for whatever’s up there.”
“Bridget’s right Regan, you’ve got to eat.” Cathie joined in. “People are really starting to worry.”
“If you don’t eat, it’ll just draw more attention to yourself, and I know you don’t want that right now.”
“Sitting around staring at nothing doesn’t help either. You were so social before, what happened?”
“What happened?! Nothing happened! Cause I have nothing to live for anymore! I just have you two! That’s a miracle in itself. But I don’t have an Eric, and I don’t have so many friends that I’m never alone!” I cried. “I want out. I won’t eat till I’ve felt the sun again.” I lifted my head so I could stare each of them down. They were both shocked, it was obvious. Usually I was the one calming someone down, or giving someone the pep talk. I’d never lost it like this before. I felt tears swimming in my eyes, so I hid again. “I want out.” I whispered to myself.
I hiccupped as Cathie and Bridget both wrapped their arms around me, the only thing they could do at the time. I didn’t know if Logan was watching or not, and I didn’t really care. He was just a friend, and any friend of mine should be ok with me crying. My heart shriveled up like a raisin, ready for me to end it all. I wanted a calling, something to do. I knew if I just sat around I would waste away, leaving a shell that just looked like me.
I stood up shakily, locking all my pathetic sorrow into a drawer and shoved it in the back of my mind, locking it up tight. I smiled weakly at Cathie and Bridget, wiping away my tears. Without a word, I turned towards our cafeteria, and started walking. I heard them follow, and eventually catch up to me. We stepped into the cafeteria as a unified wall of sisterhood, hurrying to the food. I kept to my pact and just grabbed water, earning myself a couple of glares.
“C’mon Regan.” Trish, another senior, admonished. “At least have a breadstick.”
“Thanks Trish, but I’m not really hungry.” I replied lightly, fiddling with the hem of my shirt-sleeve. All the urging to eat was really getting on my nerves. I quickly fled to a corner, where I attempted to drink my tepid water alone. Unfortunately, Logan and the rest of the crew were able to find me wrapped in the shadows.
“Come sit with us Regan!” Yvonne called, probably to expose me. I shook my head, slinking further back. Yvonne laughed and sat up, pulling Thomas with her. They sat next to me, causing all my other friends to follow. They were able to involve me in their conversations, as dull as they were. I even accepted a breadstick Logan kept poking me with.
“Seriously Thomas,” Yvonne laughed. “Why on earth would your father want your family to move to America?” Thomas was a German exchange student, so Yvonne fell for him very quickly.
“He believed it would be better for us here, well, guess he was wrong wasn’t he?” Thomas yawned. We all chuckled; nothing really made us laugh anymore.
“Students! Can I have your attention please?!” Hartsaugh called over our chatter. We calmed down, why not? “Thank you. I have some exciting news for you all. Mike, Aaron, Derik, Josh, and Craig have all volunteered to go above ground and scope out the area.” Cheers instantly drowned out whatever he said next. Once we had quieted down, he continued. “We have no clue who, or what, could be out there, and our volunteers know that. So for these next two days, we are going to treat them with the upmost respect.”
“Aside from that, things are also going to change down here as well. It’s been brought to my attention that regardless of the condition up top, we are all at least one year older than we were when we fled down here. So, in calibration, we’re going to have a party!” He proclaimed. “We’ve found some special treats way back in the food store-room, so we will feast the night before the boys leave!” Hartsaugh had to yell over the cries of joy from us students, myself included.
Finally! He actually took my advice! I’d been badgering him for a while now about sending some people up top, but it looks like he didn’t get the part about me coming along. It was still an improvement, and I’d sneak out alone anyway. I felt like packing my things and leaving right then. I was so happy, I even hugged Logan. He returned my hug a little too quickly, causing a reaction.
“Oh, happy she finally hugged you Logan?” Eric chuckled.
“Shut up Eric.” Logan snapped, not letting me go. If anything, he held me tighter. I had to poke him in the side before he’d let me go.
“I wish I could go you guys.” I told Craig, smiling weakly.
“If I could choose any girl to come with us, it would be you.” He laughed. “We don’t have to worry about you, and you’re one of the best cooks I know. I can’t even make instant pudding.” I snickered, remembering a pudding malfunction from a past church activity.
“God, that was hilarious.” I sighed. Joy continued to bubble up inside of me, nearly over-boiling. If I wasn’t careful, I could start singing or something. I had to get rid of some of this extra energy. I bolted up, jogging eagerly to the game room.
“Regan? Hey, wait up!” One of the boys called. I sprinted down the big hallway, rounding the corners so fast, I literally slid around them. I could hear people thundering after me, but I was too fast. I nearly face-planted when I screeched in to the game room, heading straight for the karaoke Wii, I eagerly putt in my favorite karaoke disc. I plugged in the microphone and eagerly waited for the game to start. I’d never sung around my band family, even though I was good if I had a pitch reference. Once the song menu came up, I went straight to Cascada’s “Because the Night.”
“Take me now baby, here as I am. Hold me close, and try to understand.” I sang, completely ignoring the people I heard behind me. “Desire is the hunger is fire I breathe. Love is a banquet on which we feed…” I completely lost myself in the lyrics, closing my eyes like I do whenever I really get into a song. I could imagine myself on a stage somewhere, my hair long again, my belly-fat gone. “…Because the night belongs to lovers. Because the night belongs to lust. Because the night belongs to lovers. Because the night belongs to lust!”
I kept singing. It was one of my venting methods. Never Ending Dream, San Francisco, Truly Madly Deeply, if it’s a Cascada song, I sang it. I even experimented with some Basshunter. When I’d killed all my options and collapsed on the floor, breathing heavily, whoever was behind me began cheering.
“God, Regan!” Cathie cried, helping me up. “You’ve got skill! I knew you liked to sing, but I didn’t know you liked to sing that much!”
“I could totally see you up on stage; I’ve never seen you on fire like that!” Bridget smiled. I just laughed hoarsely, picking myself up from the floor. Logan ruffled my hair, just like an older brother would. Before I knew it, Cathie, Bridget, Amber, and I were all sharing the mic and singing like a group of drunken girls. We laughed so hard, and stumbled over each other, I hadn’t had so much fun in forever. Karaoke eventually turned into a dance party, with the entire band. It was probably phase one of the boy’s send off, so it would only get better from there.
None of us could’ve guessed what was up there.

The last party was mind-blowing. Not only did some of the seniors sneak some champagne they found- boy did they get in trouble- and get really wasted, but I actually felt like a teen for the first time in a while. I giggled, laughed, danced, pulled pranks; I wasn’t angst-y at all! My drawer of pathetic sorrow stayed quiet as I enjoyed myself. It was only on the morning of the send off that my angst returned, full force.
“Up-and-at-‘em ladies! We’ve got a scouting crew to send off!” Allie yelled, jolting me awake in no time. I was a heavy sleeper, but it took nothing to wake me up. Groggily, I pulled myself up and ran my fingers through my hair. A rock formed in my stomach, knowing that even though the boys would be leaving, I wouldn’t. Well, I would, but no one could know.
The plan was simple. Once everyone was asleep, I would set everything back up as quickly as possible, pack as much as I needed to get started, and blow the joint. I knew it would kill Cathie and Bridget, but they had other people to rely on, they didn’t need me. If anything I was just one more mouth to feed. As I slid into one of my grey dresses, I actually looked forward to skinning a dear or two to make something that wasn’t grey cotton to wear. The girls chattered around me, worrying about the boys. Jessie was particularly worried about Josh, just because they’d been together forever. We all knew it would kill her if Josh never came back. A throbbing headache pulsed at my temples, but I ignored it. I’d ask Trish for some aspirin later.
As the hours past, my headache didn’t subside, even after the painkillers. I had to stop and breathe for a bit in the middle of helping Craig pack his things. It was like my brain was a balloon trapped in my skull, slowly expanding to the point of madness. I moaned, clutching my head.
“Hey, are you ok Regan?” Craig asked, kneeling beside me. I couldn’t even answer, the pain was so horrible. “Regan?” He repeated.
My vision began going fuzzy, in and out of focus. I could feel my body swaying back and forth, no longer in my control. In my moments of clear vision, I could see Craig yelling, jumping up and running from the room. To my dismay, I couldn’t hear. I closed my eyes, a shiver ran down my spine, and I was gone.

My eyelids had a red tint to them, like when you’re trying to sleep outside but the sun is right above you. I slowly blinked them open, pushing myself up on one shoulder. To my surprise, I saw a bush in front of me. As I continued to look around, the more confused I became. I appeared to be in a fancy courtyard. Children were playing in bits of grass, dressed in ancient Grecian style clothing. There was a fountain in the center, where girls my age were giggling, pots beside them full of water. The closer I looked; I recognized them as Greek amphoras. There courtyard was surrounded by what appeared to be the back-sides of houses, made of stone or wood covered with plaster. Everything was white, turquoise, or a pale orange. There was some rich brown, but that was it. The clothing was vibrant, and way to low cut on the girls for my taste. A shadow passed over the courtyard, causing me to look up.
I gasped as I saw three griffins flying overhead, boys riding them. They were shirtless, wearing baggy pants and sandals. They cat called at the girls on the fountain, causing another round of giggles. One of them caught my eye, doing a double take. He had light brown hair that seemed to curl at the tips, and tan skin. His deep blue eyes, nearly a navy blue, were curious. Before I knew it, the boy was coming in for a landing, smiling at me.

“I don’t know! She just started clutching her head and her eyes went all glassy. Then I’m running to find you!” Craig cried, his voice shaking. I blinked my eyes open, sitting up. Mike, Aaron, and Mr. H were talking to a distraught Craig, trying to get some info out of him. They all seemed to be really tense, scared almost.
“Hey, did I miss something?” I asked, standing up. I felt lighter, more energetic. I looked back on the daydream, and it hit me.
Did I just have a prophetic vision?!
I felt dread creep into my stomach. Oh no, no, no! Not happening to me! Yeah, I’d written about it, dreamed about it even. But it could not be happening!
“Regan! God girl, sit back down!” Mike demanded. I thumped to the floor, putting my face in my hands. I felt nauseous, and cold. “How are you felling?”
“Like I have the flu.” I moaned.
“Do you remember anything?” Aaron asked. Mike and Aaron were the two brass directors, so I was with them a bunch. Aaron actually helped teach freshman drill stuff as well.
“Oh yeah. It was crazy, but I remember it.” I laughed darkly, “Did I pass out?”
“Yep, gave us quite a scare.” Mike sighed, “You were out for almost five minutes.”
“You’ve got to be joking!” I cried, snapping my head up. He blinked twice, staring at my face. “What’s wrong?”
“Hey Mr. H? Can we get a mirror or something?” He asked, worry spelled all across his face.
“What’s wrong?!” I repeated, the dread intensifying.
“Craig, can you please go get Cathie and Bridget, they’re going to want to see this.” Aaron smiled.
“See what?!” I demanded, “What happened?!”
“You just changed a little, that’s all.” Mike assured me. “Well don’t keep staring at her Craig, go get her sisters!”
“How’d I change?”
“You’re going to have to see for yourself.” Mr. H said, walking back in with a mirror. I accepted it from him, and nearly screamed.
The face looking back at me was mine, but it wasn’t. Yeah, the facial structure was right, but the eyes! My creamy brown eyes had been replaced with a shimmering grey, almost like pewter, but a shade lighter. My brown-blonde hair was also replaced by thick dark chocolate waves, no longer the muddy brown on a good day. They contrasted with each other so much; it only made them both stand out more. I stood up to do a further examination, and nearly died. My belly fat was gone, as well as any other fat that might’ve lingered on my body. I could tell I hadn’t grown any, but I could feel my hair swish around my hips.
“Oh my god!” Someone squealed from the doorway, “Is that really you Regan?!” I looked up to see Cathie standing in the doorway, obviously winded.
“I guess.” I shrugged, examining my nails. I had chewed them to stubs, but they were a healthy length and clean now.
“Oh god I knew you were in there somewhere! That’s the Regan I knew would come out one day!” Cathie cried, wrapping me in a hug. I giggled nervously and hugged her back. Craig stood frozen in the doorway, his jaw practically hitting the floor. Bridget shoved her way past him, simply gasping at my appearance.
An hour or two later, I was sitting with the band staff in the cafeteria, being forced to eat a meal and explain my vision.
“Well, I was in a courtyard.” I repeated for the trillionth time. “The trees appeared to be good climbing trees, with branches low to the ground. Kids were playing in the shade, while some teenage girls were giggling by a fountain. They were all dressed in ancient Greek clothing, with obvious Minoan influences. There was a lot of white, but the clothes were very vibrant.”
“And you think this was a communal courtyard?” Mr. H asked.
“Yeah, the buildings surrounding it looked like they could be the back of three story houses. There was even a garden on top of one of them. Laundry hung from building to building about a story above where I was sitting.”
“Describe the griffins again for me.” Aaron requested, writing everything I said down on a notepad.
“I don’t know, they appeared to be your typical griffins.” I shrugged. “Head of an eagle, body of a lion. Wings, claws, a big beak. To be honest, I didn’t really pay much attention to them.”
“Ok. Just, let us know if you have any more visions like this ok?” Mr. H said.
“You really think what I’m saying could be what’s up there?” I asked, excitement filling my body.
“It’s the only thing we’ve got right now.” He sighed. “Might as well listen. Go find some of your friends now, we need to discuss what you’ve shared with us.”
“Kay, see you later.” I smiled, jumping out of my seat and out the door. The boys hadn’t left yet, mainly because they wanted to make sure I was ok. I jogged to the game room, where everyone was crowded around the big T.V, watching Tangled. I squeezed in beside Cathie and Logan, who were sitting on the floor in front of the screen.
“Whoa! Who are you?” Logan gasped, giving me a once over. I slapped his arm in response.
“It’s me you idiot.” I snapped, thank god my voice hadn’t changed.
“Regan? What happened?”
“I passed out, had a prophetic vision, and woke up like this.” I responded. “Ask Craig, he knows what happened better than I do.”
He just looked at me.
“Oh forget it!” I cried, settling down to watch the movie.
I was only able to get through the part where Maximus and Flynn are chasing each other through the forest before my head started throbbing again. I leaned over to Cathie and whispered, “I think another one is coming, I’ll be in the girls’ bathroom.” I quickly rose, bile creeping up my throat. I couldn’t even make it to the bathroom before I had to sit down. The agony began, I had to choke back a scream. I only closed my eyes and let the vision take me when I saw Cathie running towards me.

A thriving town was laid out before me, clusters of homes surrounding courtyards and avenues and boulevards lined with shops and carts. At the north end of the town stood a beautiful temple, a very, very Greek temple. Across from it rose a colossal palace. It was only two stories high, but it was big! I could count fifteen courtyards and at least five pools. There must’ve been countless bedrooms and bathrooms in there; I’d hate to work in that kitchen! Stables weren’t far off, filled with griffons and pegasi. A large river ran along the city’s west edge, with several ports lining it. The water appeared to be white, only because of the river’s white bottom. Farmland surrounded the city; an army even ran drills on the east side in an empty field. I could see gravel roads branching away from the city in every direction, eventually turning into nothing but dirt paths.

This time I didn’t wake up to voices. I sat up, feeling like I had just gotten wasted at a party. I put my face in my hands, chocking back the vomit. It was dark, and warm. I looked around, slowly making out the shadowy outlines of the girl’s bedroom. Had they dragged me in here when I was immersed in my vision? I stood, stretching. As I wandered the halls, I tried to analyze my vision. The whole lay out of the city was so familiar, how everything seemed to be based off one central market that had a circular shape. The river on the west side was familiar as well, just the shape of it.
“Hello?” I called out, walking into the kitchen. There was soup on the stove, about ready to boil over. I quickly turned down the heat and gave it an experimental stir, French onion. Once I was confident that it wouldn’t boil over again, I continued to search the bomb shelter.
Had everyone just left?
I poked my head into the big room, where I found everyone gathered. Logan was sitting with Cathie and Bridget, all looking scared. The whole staff was standing in front of everyone, grim looks on their faces.
“We are not going to exile her.” Hartsaugh said firmly.
“But her passing out so much must mean she’s not stable.” One of the guard girls sneered. I couldn’t place her name, but I think she was a senior or a junior. “It would be best for everyone if she wasn’t here anymore.”
“Right now she’s the best asset we have. Do you know how much this girl has read?” Mike countered. “I bet she’d be the most prepared out of all of us when we go up top.”
“We can’t promise that she will be prepared though, can we?”
“She’s our best hope!”
I slunk back into the shadows, fear gripping me. How many people wanted me gone? I walked slowly, trying not to be heard. Then as soon as I couldn’t really hear them still discussing my possible banishment, I sprinted further into the bomb shelter. The game room had a concealed passageway that I hadn’t told anyone about; I’d been dying to explore it anyway.
I knew not everyone liked me, but who would be cruel enough to suggest banishment?! Sure, it may be the best thing for everyone, but what if my visions were right!? God, no wonder Bridget looked so scared. Cold fear rolled over me like a fog, causing the little hairs on the back of my neck to stand up. Tears streamed from my eyes as I sprinted down the deserted hallways.
I squeezed behind the board game cabinet, feeling for the pull away door. My hand ran across a button, bingo! I quickly depressed it, causing the small door to pop out. It was tricky, maneuvering myself into the small opening, but I somehow managed. I closed the door behind me, easily snapping it back into the wall. The only light I had was the little light seeping in from the cracks in the door, wasn’t much at all.
Slowly, I stood up, surprised I had room. In fact, it seemed like the tunnel was fairly large. I pressed my hand against one of the walls, shocked to find it smooth and cool. I could feel cool dirt underneath my bare feet.
Dirt…
Could this tunnel lead outside? Sinking to the ground, I ran the fine soil trough my fingers. I don’t know how long I sat there, but it was long enough that people eventually went back to the game room.
“Do you seriously think Hartsaugh is going to banish her?” Some one said.
“I don’t know.” The other person said, “I barely even know the girl.”
“Guys! Have you seen Regan?!” Another person, was it Craig, asked. “We can’t find her!”
I stood up, backing down the tunnel at a snails pace. Oh no, I was not going to be found. Mike was right; I had read enough to make it on my own up there! If I could just find that city, I could probably get a job or something, and be good! Then I could come back for everyone, no problem!
“This is not good.” Craig muttered. “Can you help us look?”
I turned and ran down the tunnel like I was running from the devil. The tunnel had an upward tilt to it, further proving my idea of the surface. I even found myself climbing ladders, smooth metal rungs.
I locked my guilt for leaving in the back of my mind, focusing on what I’d do when I reached the surface. Was there a need for an alias? Would they be hunting Americans? I pulled my hair up with a vine I found growing on one of the ladders, amazed at how long it was. Had I changed any since my last vision? I paused on a landing, doing a quick mental assessment. I felt even lighter, so I guess that meant I lost some more weight. I fingered my hair, surprised to find it was more wavy than before. Everything else would have to wait till I could find a mirror or something.
I climbed yet another ladder, panting. I had no clue how long I’d gone, but I needed a rest. I found the tunnel wall and curled up against it, happy that it was warm down here. It felt wrong not saying goodnight to everyone, not to hear their breathing. I cushioned my head on my arm, whispering my goodnights to myself. As soon as I closed my eyes, I was out.

“Well who do we have here?” The brunette asked, leaning against his griffin.
“Calla,” I replied, crossing my arms. “Like the flower.”
“Nice, you’re new around here aren’t you?” He smiled pleasantly, “Have any of these girls shown you around?”
“Nope.” I sighed, feeling blush rise to my cheeks. Thank god I wasn’t staring at him like the idiot girls by the fountain. I swear one of them was drooling.
“Mind if I give you the grand tour then?” He offered. “It would be my pleasure.”
“I would be honored. But may I ask who my guide is?” I requested, hopping down from the wall I was sitting on. I stumbled, about to plant my face into the ground. Luckily the guy caught me, laughing.
“I’m Galen.” He chuckled. “Let’s get you in the air before you break something.”

I blinked my eyes open, sad to see the blackness. As I slowly stood, I couldn’t help but think I heard music. I shook my head, convinced it was just me going crazy. I continued on, coming in contact with more and more ladders. About three hours later, I reached one that seemed never ending. Sweat dripped from my brow, and my breathing became really labored.
And I hit my head on the ceiling. I swore loudly, stepping down a rung. What in the world?! I reached up and pressed against the ceiling, which moved when I touched it. I slid my fingers in a little crack, pushing the panel over my head. Sunlight flooded into the tunnel, which I could now tell was sleek and polished.
I felt joy bubble up inside me while my heart thrummed a mile a minute. A brilliant smile burst its way into reality as I pulled myself onto solid ground that actually had grass! I stared at the little green blades for at least ten minutes, feeling them. Then I spotted a dandelion, and almost freaked out. Slowly I marveled at everything I had taken for granted before, till my eyes landed on a grand looking fountain. A miniature sculpture of a Grecian style woman stood at the top, vaguely familiar. I skipped over and dipped my fingers in the cool water, fresh water. I could see gold coins at the basin, and little bits of algae floating about. I let an exasperated giggle escape from my lips, dry from my recent lack of water. I took a handful of the cool water and took an experimental sip, finding it to taste slightly like strawberries, I gulped down some more. I was soon distracted by a colorful butterfly that floated by.
I felt like a little kid in a new place. Like I was five and going to the zoo for the first time, or a children’s museum. My parents would’ve put a leash on me to make sure I didn’t run into the lion’s pen. I basked in the sun, larger than I’d ever seen it, but enjoying the vitamin D anyway.
“Oh dear!” A girl cried. Something clattered to the ground behind me, triggering my instincts to run. I pushed of the ground and spun to face the new person.
I had to suppress a giggle when I realized that she was wearing what a woman from ancient Greece would wear. Her hair was even styled similarly. She carried a basket (hand woven) full of what appeared to be olives, and the shattered remains of a broken pot lay at her feet.
“Sorry about that.” I said softly, nodding at the ceramic shards. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”
“Who are you?! Where did you come from?!” She squeaked. Her auburn hair quivered in time with her body tremors. Was I really that horrible looking? I must’ve been compared to her, when was the last time I’d taken a shower anyway?
“I’m so sorry. I’ve been traveling for a long time,” I began. My natural talent for lying on the spot did come in handy once in a while. “I’ve been trying to find help.”
“Oh, you’re a traveler?” She gasped, perking right up. “Thank the gods, I thought you were a bandit come to raid the temple!” She tossed her hair over her shoulder and took my wrist. “Come, this temple is a sacred place, we’ll house and feed you till you can get back on your feet.”
She drug me through a maze of marble columns and luscious plants, obviously happy that I wasn’t a bandit. “So as you might’ve guessed, this is a temple of Giselle. But if you’re a traveler, you might not know who she is! Don’t worry, Marcie will explain all the god’s stories to you. Well, she will once we find her.” The girl winked back at me. “I’m Kirsten by the way.”
“I’m Calla.” I replied, staring wide eyed at our surroundings. The flowers were so colorful, full of oranges and blues and yellows. There were many climbing vines and patches of clover. I heard pipe music, and soon enough, a faun pranced into view. He waved at Kirsten, trotting over on his goat hooves.
“Morning Kirsten! Who do we have visiting today?” He bleated. I was too stunned for speech. I’d read about fauns, but never seen one. Till then I’d thought they were fictional, the stuff of legends. His copper eyes had horizontal pupils, and he even had little horns sticking out of his mop of sandy hair. His legs and half his torso were covered in coarse fur that matched his hair, revealed because he didn’t wear pants.
“Hi Bennie, this is Calla.” Kirsten smiled. “She’s staying with us for a while. Have you seen Marcie?”
“Sure have, she was in the herb garden last I saw her.” Bennie replied.
“You weren’t sneaking mint leaves again were you?” Kirsten teased him, tweaking his horns.
“No!” He cried, blushing. “Of course not!”
“Well, we’d better go catch her right Calla?” She laughed, “See you later Bennie.”
“Later!” He waved, trotting back into the greenery.
“Is he really a faun?” I whispered as Kirsten continued to pull me through the temple.
“Of course! Do you not have fauns where you came from?”
“No, not much of any creatures really.” I muttered.
“Really? You must’ve come from the wastelands then. According to Marcie, the wastelands used to be called the Great Plains. But after the Awakening, the land lost its fertility and could only be used as grasslands for cattle.” She explained when I looked confused. Did she mean the Great Plains as in like the American Great Plains. “You do smell a bit like livestock, not to offend of course.”
“None taken.” I assured her, cracking a small smile. Kirsten reminded me of Lindsey, one of the guard girls. She loved to talk, and wasn’t afraid to speak her mind at all. Kirsten was nothing like Lindsey in looks. Kirsten was a typical California girl if you asked me. She continued to talk, enough for the both of us, as we hustled through the temple.
Personally, I didn’t see how the beautiful place we were in was a temple. More like the hanging gardens of Babylon. There was foliage everywhere, and most of it appeared to have a purpose. I saw some aloe plants, catnip, rosemary, and so much more that I knew had minor medicinal purposes. Other plants were probably there to make perfumes, like the wonderful smelling roses. Doves flitted about above us, cooing softly. A soft breeze floated through the glass-less windows and many skylights, counteracting the humid temperature. We passed many fountains and statues of the same lady I’d seen on the fountain when I first came to the surface. I assumed that the lady was Giselle, judging by how much I saw her statue.
“Marcie!” Kirsten suddenly called out. “We have a traveler in our midst.”
“You say so? Well, introduce me then.” A pleasant voice replied from behind a tower of flowers. A beautiful woman, probably in her late thirties, emerged. You could tell this girl knew things, wise beyond her years. If Kirsten was a priestess-in-training, Marcie was her teacher. She was dressed similarly to Kirsten as well, but instead of a drab tan, Marcie wore a pale pink stola. She also had vines of ivy woven into her hair, braided into a crown on her brow.
“This is Calla,” Kirsten smiled. “She’s from the wastelands.”
“Oh, welcome Calla.” Marcie beamed, taking both my hands in hers. “I hope Kirsten hasn’t chewed your eardrums out with her incessant talking, because I can’t wait to hear your story.”
“She hasn’t been too talkative.” I shrugged. “I am very confused though, I’ve never been in a temple like this.”
“You probably haven’t dear. It’s a shame how unreligious the people in wasteland are.” Marcie sighed. “Don’t worry, I’ll do my best to lead you down the right path. Giselle is a kind and forgiving goddess, I see no reason she wouldn’t embrace you like she’s done so many others.” She squeezed my hands to help assure me. “Kirsten, please go harvest some of the apples, we can’t leave all the work to our faun friends.”
“Yes Marcie. See you around Calla.” Kirsten winked, jogging off too a patch of trees we’d seen earlier.

“Come Calla, we’ll get you some proper clothing and food. I’m sure you had little to eat on your travels.” Marcie said, leading me through an archway.

This book has 1 comment.

AlyxJ said...
on Jul. 21 2011 at 10:25 pm
Awesome! Can't wait til you can write more :)