The Reaper

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

Chapter 6 Returning

“I need to return to Adenia for supplies. When we were attacked our horses ran away,” Frederyk told Damien.

“I am sorry sir,” Damien hesitated, “but that is not the best idea.”

“Why might that be, Damien? Are you saying it would be better to take a month’s journey on foot, rather than a three day journey on horse? Frederyk snapped.

“The way that the trap was set allowed us to lay siege to Adenia before society set back up,” Damien replied.
I have written myself into a corner... I'll write myself out expect the next installment in about a month
“They are most likely waiting for you right now.”

“Well then, I guess we must give them something to wait for,” he muttered, taking off on a middle paced run.

___

“What has the girl been doing as of late?” Satan asked James. “Is it time to begin?”

“Of course master, we must begin our war on her mind. She already battles with herself.” James replied.

“How so?”

“She refuses the food or water that is given to her and she will not sleep. She is beginning to show serious signs of deterioration. If we introduce the sickness to her system we could probably begin to break her.”

“James, I want to you to introduce the plague to her system immediately.”

“Yes, I will allow it into her system by water. I hope I do not have to use force,” James replied.

“Explain yourself.” Satan said curiously.

“Of course master, Isabella is obviously a key component to your plans. I do not know how at the moment, however I do know that there is evil intent behind your ‘mercy’. Am I correct in my assumptions?” James asked concluding his explanation.

“Yes James, you are. Leave my presence,” Satan commanded. James silently bowed, then left the throne room.

___

“Frederyk, as we draw nearer, we shall see defenses almost triple. Many of the fighters directly outside the gates are weak. However, they are telepathic,” Damien warned, standing at the edge of the forest with Frederyk.

“This means that we must not make a show of killing them,” Frederyk replied.

“Exactly, one thought is like a siren. We would be dead in just moments.”

“Moments?” Frederyk asked.

“Yes, moments, what are you getting at Frederyk?” Damien asked, annoyed.

“You can stop time for up to five minutes, correct?”

“Yes, I see what you are getting at, however that would be way too convenient. The telepaths would still be able to think, and my powers only work for a certain radius. I would not be able to use the power again for another twenty four hours either.”

“We are leaving this forest now. You will stop time exactly when I tell you, no sooner, no later. Do you understand?” Frederyk asked, after giving the remainder of his orders. “We will retrieve Adenia, and make these minions of the Devil pay.” Frederyk concluded his speech.

“You are way too confident,” Damien said into thin air. Frederyk was already gone. Damien quickly got to his feet and scanned the area that would soon to become a battle field.

___

The area between the gates and the forest was covered with many areas that would be inaccessible to an army. To Frederyk these areas would provide protection and concealment.

Frederyk motioned to Damien, who was still standing in the outskirts of the wooded area. He emerged from the forest and quickly beheaded one of the guards, then stripped him of his crossbow.

“Now!” Frederyk yelled to Damien. The carnage was quick, there were only three other guards.

“Do you have the ropes?” Damien inquired, rubbing his head.

“Yes I do. Are you prepared for our two man siege of Adenia?” Frederyk said dryly, using the grass to clean his sword.

Damien threw the rope over the castle walls. “You have about five minutes to get over the wall and hold the rope. The lapse of mental communication is bound to attract attention. “

___

“James, I am still human,” Isabella declared when James suddenly appeared by her bedside.

“Immortality still has all the human feelings of mortality,” James explained, shocked that Isabella had actually spoken.

“I am an intelligent woman James. I know what your master plans.”

“Well…”

“I also know your secrets, James.” Isabella stood up and looked James in the eyes. “You want everything God has given Frederyk: his power and his intelligence.”

“Clever girl, you have been thinking.” James returned Isabella’s glare with a warm stare. “You are definitely a person worth talking to.”

“You plan to infect me with your plague,” Isabella stated. “You plan to break my will.”

“You are correct,” James said drawing a knife tinted pale green. He moved towards Isabella, pushing the knife through her. When he pulled it out it was once again silver.

“You have infected my soul with an evil essence,” Isabella said again, clutching her stomach.

“What happened to your philosophical tone? You only seem to be stating the obvious.”

“I am preparing you for exactly what will happen when the demons weaken me. Even then I will only tell you what you already know.”

“I guess we will see about that,” James replied.

“Let the war of endurance begin.”

___

“Well the war for Adenia begins,” Frederyk muttered to Damien as he caught up with him.

“I became immortal to avoid encounters with death Frederyk,” He responded.

“You should not have gotten involved with me. You have only yourself to blame for your involvement in this predicament.” Frederyk said, looking from house to house. The serf division seemed completely devastated. “They expected me to save them from tyranny, and I let it reach our land once again.”

“The Devil is a coward, he lets other men fight his battles,” Damien muttered to Frederyk.

“I will kill every one of them until I can hold his heart in my hands.”

“We must take back routes to the central point. They have set up a fortress in the middle of Adenia.”

“What? It has only been a month since we left!” Frederyk exclaimed.

“His slaves, the souls that inhabit Hell, were charged with the task of building the fortress with their own decaying bones. To an unaided eye it would appear that it was made with stone.”

“So the inhabitants of Adenia do not know that the Devil is at work in their lives? It is just a siege to them?”

“To most they are. However, there are other men who stay in hiding, waiting for your return. They are few and they seem untrained.”

“I do not think so, Damien. Follow me.”
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6

This book has 9 comments. Post your own now!

Belladona_Daughterof_Circe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:42 am
OMFG, Will!!! Frickin amazing!!! I worship your writing!!!

Xella714 said...
I like it, though the dialogue is rough and unrealistic.

Gokulover said...
OMG...... that was the best book I've ever read. and i read alot of books.

emilybwrites said...
wow! double wow! fabulous story i can see why it is #1! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment i would like some feedback from fellow writers! thanks so much!

OliviaR. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
hey, i love your story!!! pleas check your email and tell annmarie to do the same thing!!!!

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

Grr! My computer's not letting me read past the first page.

On a happier note, my comment:

So, this was amazing! Very well writter, and definitely drew me into the storyline.

There are a few itty-bitty things I'd like to mention.

First of all, there were numerous punctuation errors, but those can easily be fixed.

The second thing that had me confused is when the Isabella/Frederyk thing actually started. I'm reading and all of a su... (more »)

ThornThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
*very well written.

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 7:24 am

Lexie is the first to comment.  WHAT.

I believe you already know my opinion of this book;D I'll let the rating speak for itself.

in the darkness replied...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 7:50 am
I love the plot it was enough to keep me reading. I would love to see more chapters.