The Reaper

Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next »

Chapter 5 A Twisted Plot

Damien’s eyes flickered open to see a pair of boots planted firmly on the ground directly in front of him. Looking up he saw the scarred, twisted face of Frederyk. Frederyk’s hand shot down towards Damien’s neck, the grip not that of someone with murder on his mind.

“You led me here, into this trap. You lied to me; you told me my brother was murdered. However, in this forest I came face to face with him. You attempted to capture Isabella and myself. An explanation is in order. Remember that I hold your life in my hands and I will not hesitate to kill you.” Frederyk raised Damien just an inch higher, causing him to let out a gasp for air.

“My tongue is cursed; it cannot tell you anything about his plot or his reasons. However, I can tell you the only way to save Isabella,” Damien whispered the words desperately. “I cannot tell you these things unless I can breathe Frederyk. Please put me down.”

“Yes, I will do that, but I want you to sit. Any attempt to rise to your feet and I will kill you,” Frederyk let go of Damien’s neck and the moment he touched the ground Frederyk’s sword was drawn. “Now speak… NO lies!”

“There are groups of immortals who exist in many of the great kingdoms. They are called soul stealers by our kind, vampires by the mortals.”

Frederyk raised his blade high above his head. “Do you think I am not a man of my word? I told you to speak the truth and you spit a myth in my face.”

“Most people believe that we are myths. You must believe me, it is the only way to save Isabella,” Damien implored.

“Continue,” Frederyk allowed, realizing this was his only lead.

“It is believed that by splitting your soul, not only will you live forever but you will have unmatched power. However, it is impossible to split your soul by yourself and no other human mortal or immortal is able to do it for you either.”

“Where are you going with this? You are just talking in circles!” Frederyk shouted his anger escalating.

“The only way for a human soul to be split is for one of the great powers to do it for you. Those powers are…”

“Good and evil, God and the Devil. Please get to the point, I am becoming impatient,” prompted Frederyk.

“God does not split the souls of his creations, so the only other power willing is the Devil. Most people do not know this. They try to find this amazing source of power, and the Devil begins to weave his web of deception around their minds.” Damien looked up at Frederyk. “You must understand that these people believe that this person is God, and once your soul is split, the person who holds the other half is your master. You can only avoid your master if you have a full soul; this is where myth begins to join with truth. The first vampires discovered that the soul is contained in the blood…” Damien stopped. “You see where I am going with that. By satisfying the need of your own body, you create a new vampire with only half a soul. Therefore every time a vampire feeds the Devil gains a new minion. Vampires are the only beings that can physically walk the pathway to Hell.”

“I must become a vampire?” Frederyk exclaimed. “That sounds absolutely absurd! Do I have no other choice? What will give me the power to stop James, let alone the Devil?”

“We shall ask the vampires when we arrive,” Damien said, smiling as he rose to his feet. Frederyk glared at him. “Don’t look at me like that Frederyk. I am your only ally at the moment, you won’t kill me yet.”

“Trust me, I’m very tempted,” he muttered.

___

Fire burns but no light can be seen, the inferno whips around with the cold embrace of the souls suffering inside. One cannot help but scream, though no one hears. No sound can be heard from the fiery inferno of Satan’s realm…

___

Isabella awoke to an icy discomfort on her face and the sound of a sharp voice. “Never thought you would be here, did you? Julie did not think she would be here either. Frederyk did not tell either one of you that his love comes with a price,” James said gleefully, no longer wearing his Reaper guise.

“And that price is Hell, is it not, an eternity dwelling in evil, despite my undying loyalty to God. Even here I will remain good. I may be surrounded by the corrupted but I will come out of this as clean as ever,” Isabella whispered. James chuckled and squatted down to Isabella’s level.

“Yes, that is the price. However, who’s to say which is which? Is evil really evil? Is good really good? Yes it is at the moment but only by description of the highest being. If he were not God what would the standards be?”

“I no longer wish to converse with you.” Isabella spat in James’ face.

“You arrogant fool! How dare you even suggest I would waste my time coming down here just to speak with you? Get up! You are wanted by my master,” James demanded.

“And if I refuse?”

Fire leapt from James’ fingertips and struck Isabella, not on her flesh, but on her soul. Isabella cried out in pain. The fire scarred her soul with a mix of emotions. Death would have been better than experiencing the evil clutches of this dark power.

“You are honestly not foolish enough to resist me a second time are you, Isabella?” James asked chuckling to himself. Isabella slowly picked herself up off of the floor. “That is what I thought.” James conjured up a chain of fire and secured it around Isabella’s wrists.

“I never said I would obey you. In fact I will defy you until I die,” Isabella said through clenched teeth. “There will come a day when Satan no longer needs you, and you will reap what you sow. Even then Frederyk will continue to love me after my death.”

“You realize it only took Frederyk a couple of years to get over Julie and move on to you. He is immortal, he will move on. I bet he has already given up,” James hissed venomously. The fire swirled up around them. As the fire faded she found herself in a throne room of sorts.

“Good evening Isabella. I trust that your room has met your expectations,” Satan greeted warmly.

“I do not understand what you wanted with me and Frederyk,” Isabella said aloud. “I expect even you think in rational terms. What is the meaning of my presence here?”

“What Damien spoke of was correct. He came to you telling of my plot to spread a plague across the entire world. It was really quite an accident that Frederyk became involved with this,” Satan explained with detached sympathy.

“What do you speak of?” Isabella questioned, growing angry.

“Jacob was a key part of my plan. He was also an immortal. Since his rebirth he was finally able to speak directly with God.”

“You tricked him! You made him believe that the voice he was hearing was God’s, not yours!”

“Exactly, and I told him that no other immortal should be in existence; that they were not of God. For some reason he came to believe that Julie was immortal, and you know what happened from there,” Satan laughed.

“He believed that he would ride into war during the beginning of the next Crusade and spread God’s Judgment. He would have watched only his soldiers die, and James would ride in on a pale horse and bring his soul to me.” Satan’s laughter became hysterical.

“I cannot wait until Frederyk kills you,” Isabella said flatly.

“Kill me? What punishment would that be? Killing me would send my soul where exactly?” Satan asked, rising from his throne. He struck Isabella on the face. “Hell is my kingdom; if he killed me I would remain exactly where I am. God is the only person who can defeat me. But if he loved any of you, you would not live in such a dark age, and you would not be here with me.”

“The proof that he loves me is Frederyk,” Isabella stated.

“Well your savior fights in vain because by the time he finds any way to reach me, I will have broken you, and he will beg me to kill him.” Satan motioned to James. “Take her away.”

Belladona_Daughterof_Circe This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 3, 2012 at 12:42 am:
OMFG, Will!!! Frickin amazing!!! I worship your writing!!!

Xella714 said...
I like it, though the dialogue is rough and unrealistic.

Gokulover said...
OMG...... that was the best book I've ever read. and i read alot of books.

emilybwrites said...
wow! double wow! fabulous story i can see why it is #1! please check out my poem "Forgotten Domain" and comment i would like some feedback from fellow writers! thanks so much!

OliviaR. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 4, 2011 at 6:19 pm :
hey, i love your story!!! pleas check your email and tell annmarie to do the same thing!!!!

Thorn said...

Grr! My computer's not letting me read past the first page.

On a happier note, my comment:

So, this was amazing! Very well writter, and definitely drew me into the storyline.

There are a few itty-bitty things I'd like to mention.

First of all, there were numerous punctuation errors, but those can easily be fixed.

The second thing that had me confused is when the Isabella/Frederyk thing actually started. I'm reading and all of a su... (more »)

Thorn replied...
Dec. 23, 2010 at 7:41 pm :
*very well written.

OfficialApprover This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 7:24 am:

Lexie is the first to comment.  WHAT.

I believe you already know my opinion of this book;D I'll let the rating speak for itself.

in the darkness replied...
Dec. 17, 2010 at 7:50 am :
I love the plot it was enough to keep me reading. I would love to see more chapters.