SuperNOVA | Teen Ink

SuperNOVA

By Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina
Timekeeper DIAMOND, Cary, North Carolina

"A guy walks up to me and asks 'What's Punk?'. So I kick over a garbage can and say 'That's punk!'. So he kicks over a garbage can and says 'That's Punk'?, and I say 'No that's trendy'!"- Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day

Summary:

John Lange was your typical New York detective. At least, that's what he's been told. The only thing Lange can remember is getting caught in a near fatal explosion, and now his ex-wife's employers, an organization known only as Project NOVA, have become his only lifeline. No one's willing to tell the whole truth, and no one can be trusted. NOVA's own operatives have been disappearing, and someone on the outside has been watching Lange for a long, long time.

But before Lange can investigate the secretive Project NOVA, he's going to have to learn the truth about himself. And the secrets John Lange's own mind hides may yet make this case his last!

Frank C.

SuperNOVA

on Oct. 11 2011 at 4:05 pm

I agree lol

Morris J. said...
on Oct. 8 2011 at 6:38 pm
Wow, this blew me away! Keep it up, all ten chapters kept me coming back for more. You are certainly a writer to watch.

on Oct. 8 2011 at 5:12 pm
KenyaLove41 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

"Day, n. A period of twenty-four hours, mostly misspent." ~Ambrose Bierce
"Nothing is Impossible, the word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" ~ Audrey Hepburn
"Good writing is only bad writing revised"~ Unknown

Heey, i've only read the first chapter so far but plan to read more but i love love love the introdution to your book very ingenious x) keep writing!;p

DeeCaf said...
on Oct. 8 2011 at 12:23 am
DeeCaf, No Way, Other

That's the thing about cake, it demands to be eaten.

That's enough thank you's to last me a while! :D

on Oct. 6 2011 at 5:03 pm

Hey guys, I've had another one of my pieces published in the Teen Ink print magazine! If you head over to Fiction >Thriller/Mystery, my short story "The Trees" was printed in the October 2011 print issue!

on Oct. 6 2011 at 5:02 pm

Thanks Dee :D

on Oct. 6 2011 at 5:02 pm

Her most recent title is amazing...the name escapes me at the moment, but it completely blew me away.

on Oct. 6 2011 at 5:01 pm

No problem! Thank you so much, and if you need to ask any more questions, feel free! I hope the project is a success!

on Oct. 6 2011 at 5:01 pm

Ah, I love receiving comments from trolls who are apparently jealous of my success. Leaving hate comments without any substance only goes to reinforce the glowingly positive reviews I've had and boosts my comment count, regardless. Thanks for trying.

on Sep. 28 2011 at 6:49 pm
DallysGrrl PLATINUM, Middlesex, New Jersey
I've read a couple of her other books, but Rumblefish was a great one. Yeah she's a great author.

DeeCaf said...
on Sep. 28 2011 at 2:56 am
DeeCaf, No Way, Other

I saw  and thanks to you too. 

on Sep. 27 2011 at 9:49 pm
Laurel15 BRONZE, Eastlake, Colorado

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I wish you and your book luck!!!

on Sep. 27 2011 at 7:09 pm

I commented/rated your work. Thanks again!

on Sep. 27 2011 at 7:08 pm

The Outsiders is one of my all time favorite books. Everything S.E. Hinton has written is amazing, if you haven't checked out her other books I highly recommend it.

on Sep. 27 2011 at 7:07 pm

Thank you for reading the excerpt printed in the magazine, I'm sure you'll love the version posted here online! The good news is that the online version is less than a fifth of the full novel and the final draft absolutely blows this one out of the water if I do say so myself!

on Sep. 27 2011 at 7:06 pm

Well, yes and no. I initially dove into the story by writing the opening sequence. From there I took the time to explore who these characters were, how they got into the situation they found themselves in and where they would go from there. Some things fell into place over time naturally and other things were planned from the start. I have a lengthy outline of where the characters will ultimately end up and the important locations and scenes that need to occur to reach the conclusion I'm working towards, but a lot of the smaller details worked their way in over time. For example, in the current full draft there is an extended scene in a memorial hall that was written in to lead John to have an early conversation with Cassidy. In the original draft not only did this scene not appear, but neither did the setting for it. It was just one of those things that got added and worked its way in over time, now appearing in the final draft at least twice.

leafy said...
on Sep. 26 2011 at 4:37 pm
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

Wow, just wow. I haven't read the whole thing (just the except that was in the magazine), but I plan too when I have time. But so far, it's amazing!

on Sep. 25 2011 at 11:14 am
No problem! And thnx. :) oh and yes it is a reference to the outsiders haha u r the first one that noticed.

on Sep. 24 2011 at 7:36 pm
Laurel15 BRONZE, Eastlake, Colorado

Thanks so muc for your help. You've given me different points to consider. Did you plan for your book, and if so, how did you do it?

on Sep. 24 2011 at 3:12 pm

Thanks for your questions, I'm glad you like the novel. I hope this helps.

Challenges: The challenges I face when it comes to writing really depends on the task at hand. With the novel, there's the daunting word count-- my final draft is on track to clock it at just over 120,000 words (twice the length of the average novel). Between school, work, and my social life I have to make time to write, so often I will try and drop everything and write if I'm in the mood for it. I'm at my most creative late at night, but unfortunately I don't get to take advantage of that as often as I'd like to. One of the biggest challenges is handling criticism and rejection, not so much receiving it but learning from it and growing as a writer. I try to do something different and new with every project I undertake, and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Another big challenge is perserverence; sometimes I want to drop projects I've started in favor of newer, better ideas, but I try as hard as I can to tough it out and finish what I've started. It's easier to chart my growth that way.

Rewards: There's something really exciting about putting a lot of time and effort into a project and having a finished product to show for it. Even during the process of writing the novel (which has been a few years in the making at the very least) I've taken up and finished a number of smaller projects just to have something to show for it. Just this year alone I wrote a sitcom pilot, a collection of nearly eighty short poems, and interviewed the lead guitarist from the band Fireworks. The ultimate reward from writing is telling a story that no one has ever told before and keeping a captivated audience. It's really its own reward.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions feel free to ask :D