His Revenge Will Come | Teen Ink

His Revenge Will Come

By KenzWrites11 SILVER, Dallas, Texas
KenzWrites11 SILVER, Dallas, Texas

Author's note:

I'm am a young teen writer/artist who hasn't found a place or group I feel I belong to. Clarissa is basically an older me, she seems to understand people while being a powerful young human being. I really like how this book is going and I hope by the end, people will follow, maybe not exactly like Clarissa, footsteps and find where they belong too.

I was sprinting, I didn't know exactly where I was going, but anywhere is better than here, right? The cold wind slashed at my face and the mud below my feet stuck hard to my shoe. I kept going although I wanted to turn back. I wanted to run into Nick's arms and apologize. I want him to take me back. Yet, I know he won’t and he shouldn’t, for his well being.
  Nick’s my step brother. We have lived together for eight years but when he got a girlfriend, Sara, about a month ago there wasn’t room for me anymore. So I pushed her out, I made her leave, and I made Nick depressed. Maybe I should go back, maybe he needs me. He might want me back.
   While my thoughts were spinning around in my head, I slowed down. I started to walk until I came to a full stop. Looking back, I decided to keep going. I walked moving tree branches out of my way. We live in Humboldt-Toiyabe Forest. The weather is quite unpredictable so I hope it doesn't rain like it has been the past few days.
   For the next hour, I slowly walked. My feet hurt so bad that the pain shot up my leg with every step. I hadn't seen any roads or houses. So I prayed for some sort of human life to show up soon.
    My stomach growled continuously. My mouth was dry and my throat ached. “My god, please, anyone?” As if my prayers were answered a road appeared in the distance. A road means somewhere is a town. The only problem is that it might be many miles away, but it's a good try. I sprinted with my leftover energy, which wasn't much. Finally, I reached the edge of the paved road.“Right….or left….” I said to myself. I felt as though I was going insane. I was lonely, hungry, thirsty, and I missed Nick. I decided right, after a couple minutes of consideration. It felt like I had to choose between life or death. Just, I didn't know which was which. And both could be death.

After a couple of hours walking, I stopped. My feet hurt even worse, which I didn't think was possible. I sat down and stared at the sky. The sun was already setting which meant it's been close to five hours since I left our….no, Nick’s house. Which means, five hours without food, or water, or people.
   I think I fell asleep then, because I woke up to the sound of a voice. Nick’s voice….no, no , this was a much deeper voice. I opened my eyes to see a guy standing above me. “Oh, you're okay, I was worried there.” He stared at me. I didn't respond, instead I just closed my eyes again. I'm obviously hallucinating, that's what this is.  He’s not there. “It's not smart to be laying on the side of the road” He paused “Especially at night, there are wolves”
   I opened my eyes and smirked “Wolves aren't any of my concern” I looked at my surroundings, lots of trees, as expected. “How did you get here?” I asked curious if he had a vehicle, but is it safe to ask for a ride from a male stranger? Not really, but what other choice do I have?
   He pointed over to a jeep “I was riding in that….I was going to a friends house..” I got up and brushed off the dirt from my shirt.
    “Can I have a ride, I'm lost, how far is the nearest town?” He laughed.
    “Who’s the jerk who left you here?” He looked at me “There is no way you walked here young lady. The nearest town is 56 miles away. “ He walked over to his Jeep. “Come on”
    “Where will you be taking me?” I asked carefully before sliding into the back seat.
    “The nearest town, and your safe, plus there aren't any doors so it's not like I could lock you in if I wanted to.” He had a point. There weren't any doors, just empty holes where the doors did belong.
   After a couple of minutes driving, he started looking continuously behind us. I looked out to back,  “Is something wrong?” I asked him, which reminds me I don't even know his name.
   “No, nothing at all” He said, his voice shaky. I looked back out the window, nothing weird…..except for this car speeding toward us. We immediately sped up.
   “I'm sorry, but they would of got you on the side of the street, at least I gave you chance for survival.” I looked at him with a confused look.
   “Who, why, what, where? I need details to believe you” I told him giving him a disdain look. He was silent and kept speeding up. I looked back again, the car behind us started to slow, but we didn’t. Finally the car went out of view. “Hello? Why haven't you answered me?”He looked back at me. “Diwatas”

“  So, these spirits were invoked ritually for positive crop growth, health, and fortune; however, they were also considered to be able to incur illness or misfortune if not given proper respect?” I asked making sure I was understanding. We had been talking about Diwatas for almost an hour. Apparently, they are ‘gods’ or ‘guardian spirits’. I also learned that his name was Alex. Alex saved my life, supposedly. But, if they are spirits who give fortune unless they have not been given respect, then why would they of even messed with me? I still don't understand the details.
  “They wouldn't of messed with me, right, I would of been left on the road, so why did you decide to help me?” I asked him, happy that he did take the time to help me, but also confused why he did it.
   “I have to show you, I can’t just explain it.” Alex told me giving me a look through the rear view mirror. “Plus, you would of been ran over or eaten by wolves….or maybe just starved to death.” He laughed. “How long has it been since you have had anything to eat?”
   The sun was starting to come up, so I asked what time it is. He replied saying it's 6:30am. “So, about 10 hours, I'm so hungry, I thought the town was near last night?” I said starting to wonder if I was wrong to trust Alex.
  “We got off track when they followed us, I had to lose them somehow.” He said, and for once, I trusted him. “Now, we are going to my groups base” “What base?”

“We fight off Diwatas”
   “Why are they even after you, did you disrespect them?” I wondered out loud.
“Not at all, they’re after my father, so I will…” I cut him off.
  “You will protect him?” He smiled.
   “Yes, yes I will” He said. After that we went silent, only the sound of other vehicles passing. So, at least we were close to a town...right? Not sure if I want this crazy trip to end, and have to return to Nick. I decided it was the right thing to do. I should apologize and make it up to him. What I really should do is call Sara and tell her it was my fault and Nick needs her. But I'm not going to, instead I'm going to make sure he never lets another female, anyone, move in again.
   We stopped at a gas station and I got out. I headed straight for a big bag of chips. My favorite are hot cheetos. I reached into my pocket. But nothing was there. “Oh no!” I said out loud. I must've lost my twenty. I sadly put back the cheetos and slowly walked out with my head hung down. For the first time in awhile I noticed how dirty I was. The red hoodie I had on is now more of a brown, and my blue jeans now have two more holes than it should.
   “What did you get?” Alex asked me when I slid into the passenger seat. I now felt more comfortable around him and the front had better cushioning.
   “I must've lost my money out of pocket, so nothing” I said, my stomach growled loud. Loud enough for Alex to hear.
    “Let me buy you something, but I got to get gas” He handed me two twenty dollar bills. “Spend as much as you want, but can you get me some skittles?”
    I was shocked at the amount of money in my hands. To be honest, Nick and I never had that much money. “Thank you, and I will” When I entered, I went straight for the skittles. After, I got a coke from the soda machine and I decided to get one for Alex too. On my way to check out, I passed the Hot Cheetos. I want them, but I'm already spending more than I would of with my own money. Which isn't right so I continued to check out, without my Hot Cheetos.
    “Sweet” Alex said when I handed him the coke and skittles. I started to drink mine when I realized I didn't get food for me. After he started to drive off, I tried to hand Alex back the change, but he rejected it saying I can keep it. Man, I really wish I would've gotten those hot cheetos.

After about five minutes of driving, Alex pulled the Jeep into a driveway. “This is the base?” I asked looking at the small normal looking house in front of us.
  “Nope” he said getting out of the Jeep. I sat, watching him until he disappeared around the house.
   “Wait!” I yelled and scrambled out of the Jeep. I ran over to where he went and found him picking up a rock. “What's that for?” I wondered out loud.
   “You’ll see” He smiled and winked. For a slight moment my stomach started to fill up with butterflies. Then I realized we just met, plus people wink all the time. But what does he mean? All of a sudden he jumps up over the fence. I stared in shock. The fence was like 9ft tall, a little taller than average fences. Whoever lives here must want to keep out people. Well...that didn't work against Alex.
    “Wow, how’d you do that?” I asked him. I realized he probably couldn't hear me over the height of this fence. I took a running start at the fence, Leap! I hit right in the middle of the fence. “Oww”
Alex must of heard me hit the fence, he yelled over to me “Hey, You alright over there?” He jumped to the top of the 9ft fence and sat down. Reaching for my hand, he pulled me over the fence. “You must of hit the fence hard” He told me when he saw me holding my arm.
“Ya…” I nodded and he walked off. I quickly ran after him. “Where are you going? Isn't this trespassing?” I asked when I saw a ‘No Trespassing, will be shot’ Sign.
“No, well..kind of…” He answered me, with a sly smile. His smile made me feel like butterflies were flying around in my stomach. I could almost feel as though I was dizzy. No one has ever made me feel so...so...special. He kept on walking for what felt like hours, but was really only a couple of minutes.