A New Breed Rising | Teen Ink

A New Breed Rising

By Firecrystals11, St. Helens, Oregon
Firecrystals11, St. Helens, Oregon

Blythe had been taking inventory when the shop’s bell dinged. She looked up sharply, watching the Phantom kindly hold the door open for the girl. Upon looking at her, Blythe already saw the girl was past the normal standards of vulnerable and was desperately broken.
The girl shuffled to the counter, her sneakers squeaking on the linoleum. Once she reached the counter, she shifted uneasily from foot to foot; staring at Blythe with red and swollen eyes. The girl’s clothes were soaked through from the rain and her dirty blonde hair dripped.
Even though she was easy pickings , Blythe couldn’t turn away a high paying customer. Resting her elbows on the counter, Blythe leaned towards her, appearing concerned.
“What’s your name?” Blythe asked softly.
The girl glanced back at the Phantom, fright blooming in her dark green eyes. After a quick nod of reassurance, the girl’s stare returned to Blythe.
“Riley,” She answered, teeth chattering. “He said you could help.” Riley jabbed her thumb in the direction of the Phantom.
“Depends.” Blythe shrugged, drumming her fingers on the counter. “What do you need help with?”
“These people at school have been bullying me,” Riley explained, eyes beginning to water.
Blythe suppressed the great urge to roll her eyes as Riley’s breathing broke into unsteady gasps. She’d heard thousands of stories like Riley’s before, and had seen hundreds of victims who had looked far worse. But this was how the business worked, by preying on the weak.
“What are you expecting me to help you with?” Blythe asked, still impatiently drumming her fingers.
“Help me get even,” Riley replied, her voice suddenly hard as steel.
Blythe stopped drumming her fingers, pushed off the counter, and smiled.
“That’s what I like to hear,” Blythe said, crouching behind the counter.
It took her a moment to find the right vial, but she could sense the dark power the mix possessed as soon as her fingers wrapped around the small glass walls. Blythe stood, holding up the vial for Riley to view, the metallic blue contents sloshing inside.
“One sip of this,” Blythe mused, offering the vial to Riley. “And you’ll be more than capable of getting even.”
Riley accepted the vial with a shaking hand, and then Blythe knew she had Riley on strings; playing her like a puppeteer. The poor girl was so naive, too emotionally driven to realize what fire she was playing with. Blythe loved to have Riley under her thumb, and Riley was too blinded by the promise to realize it.
“How does it work?” Riley asked, completely entranced by the vial. “What is it?”
“If I told you what was in it, you wouldn’t want it,” Blythe answered coolly, “But results are immediate, all you have to do is drink.”
Riley glanced at Blythe, and then stared at the vial. She looked so desperate, wanting to end her social torture. Yet she was so unsure, biting her lip and setting the vial on the counter.
“I don’t know,” Riley mumbled, looking back at the door and shoving her hands into her sweatshirt pocket. “Maybe I should think about it and come back.”
“Is it really worth enduring another day of mockery?” The Phantom remarked, sauntering to Riley’s side. “I don’t want to find you tomorrow like I did today.”
Riley looked into the Phantom’s pale grey eyes, truly believing his sincerity. But Blythe could see she still wasn’t convinced.
“But…” Riley’s voice trailed off, and she looked back at the vial.
Blythe narrowed her eyes, focusing on the weakest point of Riley. Riley’s self-confidence.
“Do you want them to win? Do you want to return to being a pathetic nobody?”
Blythe sneered, “Do you want to return to being a punching bag? They call you names, right? Fat, ugly.” Blythe slammed her hand on the counter. “Worthless.”
Riley flinched, her eyes already watering. The Phantom gave Blythe a scrutinizing look while Riley sniffed and wiped away escaping tears with her sleeve. She had been ambushed, unprepared for the verbal attack.
“How do you know all that?” Riley asked quietly, her voice shaking.
“I know a lot of things,” Blythe said softly, “ I know when someone is so deeply broken they’re dying inside.”
Riley looked away to hide her tears.
Blythe grabbed Riley’s chin and forced her to look up. “And I know you need my help.”
Blythe let her go, but Riley continued to stare at Blythe’s ice blue eyes.
“How much?” Riley began to search her pockets.
“No price. “Blythe pulled a small stack of paper from under the counter. “Just a couple of legal documents for you to sign and a packet. If you have any questions, read the packet or call the number on the back page.”
Riley nodded and scribbled her signature on the dotted line. Her eyes entirely focused on the task, unknowing of the price she was paying. Once she had signed, Blythe pulled the papers back across the counter and thumbed through them quickly.
“Alright, that’s it.” Blythe gave little bounce of her head. “Duncan will escort you home safely.”
Riley’s eyes flicked to Duncan as he appeared from the back. A brief flicker of fear passing across her face upon noticing the piercings and strange tattoos. Duncan inclined his head in Riley’s direction, but said nothing.
Blythe smiled and held the vial out to Riley. “Good luck.”
The girl gingerly took her purchase and followed Duncan to the door. Blythe’s smile became more menacing as Riley reached the door.
“And Riley,” Blythe called, “If s*** hits the fan, you’re liable.”
Riley looked back at Blythe with wide eyes, nodded and hustled out the door. Duncan paused in the open door way, peering back over his shoulder at the Phantom. The Phantom stiffened under his dark gaze, pushing his shoulders back and pressing his lips together. As if he was preparing himself for abusive criticism .
“Well done, Kane,” Duncan stated, and then stalked after Riley.
Kane’s shoulders slumped, sighing in relief. Blythe could see his fingers shaking and twitching, betraying him and exposing the fear he’d tried to hide. Once the shop door had slid shut, Blythe chuckled and shook her head.
“I’ll bet when she kills them, she’ll blame us,” Blythe remarked, “But you’ve been separated from a woman’s touch so long, I doubt you would mind.”
Kane turned, glowering at her. “That’s sick, she’s a child.”
“You didn’t care when it was your best friend’s daughter,” Blythe replied, studying the black demonic runes permeating her right arm. “Isn’t that why you were brought to us? To get your dear friend out of the way?”
“I made a mistake,” Kane declared, “And I’ve regret it ever since.”
Blythe flexed her fingers, a wicked grin gracing her lips. “Oh really? How long did it take for you to regret it? After you spent the night with-”
“It was a mistake. And I’ve regret it ever since,” Kane repeated firmly.
“It would be best if you remembered who your superiors are,” Blythe growled, “Or you’ll be sent to hell to receive the punishment you deserve.”
Kane pursed his lips, the muscles in his jaw flexing. Blythe narrowed her eyes and inclined her head, challenging him to defy her.
“You’re not my master,” Kane answered, his hands fisted at his sides.
Blythe seized his shirt with her left hand and gripped his throat with her right; channeling rage and power through the runes. His pulse raced beneath her fingers, his skin burning as Blythe forced her influence upon him. Blythe push her thumb into his throat, restricting Kane’s labored breathing to gasps.
He struggled against her grip, yelling and clawing at her arms. Desperately, Kane tried to pry her fingers off his throat. Blythe pressed harder and smiled, strengthening his hallucinations.
“We own your soul, you’re our slave,” Blythe cooed, pulling Kane closer. “You think you have rights, but you don’t. Without your soul, you’re less than human.”
Blythe squeezed his throat a final time, and then let go. Kane staggered back, coughing and blinking rapidly; trying to erase the visions.
“Have we reached an understanding?” Blythe asked, flexing her fingers.
Kane nodded slowly, eyes wide. “Yes, master.”
~
Kane stared at the barrel, his hands and shirt stained dark red. Hours of filling vials with the same substance that had damned him, every moment filled with regret and loathing. Loathing the liquid that filled the barrel next to him, and himself for preparing the next vial for the next fool.Despite the haunting memories and vivid hallucinations, it was a cheap price for a demon's mercy.
It was a distinct shred, seemingly shared between Blythe and Duncan. Small enough to still be subjected to their violent outbursts, but just enough to save his life on countless occasions.
Kane's memories of Blythe's merciless cruelty seemed fresh, but they were years old. He could remember blurry images of his companions, Phantoms Kane had once served with side by side. Their rebellions had be short lived, and Blythe had been their executioner. She had shattered bones, ripped off ears, and severed their fingers and toes; Kane remembered her laughing. Cherishing her demented fun before relieving them with death.
Their screams echoed in his ears as he heaved the box of vials off the table. Kane shuffled away from his work, struggling with the weight as he venture towards the storefront.