You Will Always Remember Me | Teen Ink

You Will Always Remember Me

October 6, 2015
By Caity_Kat, Charlotte, North Carolina
More by this author
Caity_Kat, Charlotte, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"A good friend would bail you of jail. Your best friend would be sitting next to you saying "That was awesome""


Introduction
     Dakota Wilkinson is 14 years old. And 2 weeks ago, found out that a rumor about her Mom and Dad was going around. One word describes it. Death. She was filled with devastation. But she had a best friend that has been there since day 1. Cameron Callahan. He was like a brother to her. He was one of the few friends she had, other than Taylor and Hayes. She didn’t have a lot of friends that were girls. Taylor was her first best friend ever. She takes Dakota shopping like her mom would do before she went missing. She is in an orphanage now, getting bullied by the older boys there. Along with her little brother Finn, who has a whole bunch of friends for some reason. But Dakota had a plan. She was going to find out if the rumor was true. She was going to find her parents.

CHAPTER 1
Dakota got her phone and texted Hayes.  ‘Come pick me up! NOW!!!’ Dakota texted. She waited 10 minutes before he texted back. ‘I will, just calm down chica.’ Hayes texted back. Dakota rolled her eyes and smiled. Hayes starts walking to the orphanage.

“Finn! Come and get your stupid dog toy!” Dakota yells.

“Why?!” He yelled back

“Because I said so. Now take it up!” Dakota angrily yells.

“You’re not the boss of me. Why is your boyfriend coming?” He asks.

“He isn’t my boyfriend!, I need you to leave and play with your girlfriend!” Dakota giggles.

“Dakota!? It’s Hayes!” Hayes yells.

“Coming! Let me get my diary and phone.” Dakota gets her phone and diary and writes a quick sentence.

“Dakota! What is taking so long?!” Hayes starts walking up the stairs.

“Dakota what is- Woah. Dakota you look… Wow…” Hayes just stood there. Dakota smiled and blushed.

“So why am I here?” Hayes asked as he sat down. Hayes saw her diary and thought it was just a journal she writes in about daily stuff that happens everyday. So he picked it up. But right before he opened it, Dakota grabbed it out of his hand.

“HAYES! What are you doing?!” Dakota yells, laughing.

“Uhhhhhhhh…” He couldn’t find an answer. Dakota sighed.

“Well, I am going to try and find my parents. And I want you to to come with me…” Dakota asked nervously.

“So where are we looking?” Hayes asks.

“South America. And some of Africa.” Dakota said.

“SOUTH AMERICA?! Why Dakota…?” Hayes asked sympathetically.

“Because they went to the rainforest to find endangered animals.” Dakota said.
“Well then why do I have to come anyway? Why can’t you do it yourself?” He asked.

“Well one reason is because I can’t do it myself. And what if I get killed? You could go and find help.” Dakota was packing her suitcase.

“Well,  what about my parents. What if I am terribly sick?”

“We are starting tomorrow. Please Hayes, It would mean alot to me.” She pleads.

“Fine. I will go. But if something happens to me, it’s your fault.” Hayes says. Hayes was about to leave until…

“Wait. I need to give you something.” Hayes walks up to her and pulls out a necklace.

“The necklace I lost when we were playing at your house when we were kids...” She was tearing up. Hayes giggled like a baby.

“Thank you…” Dakota hugs Hayes. Hayes hugs back.

“So I have to go, Uh, somewhere else.” Hayes said. Then he walked out. Dakota fell onto her bed and sighed dreamingly. She really liked Hayes, more than a friend.
She started writing in her diary.
‘Dear Diary,
Not everybody knows this, but I like Hayes. Not as a friend, not as a best friend, but more. He doesn’t even know this. Only Taylor. I have that feeling that she is the only one I can trust. Hayes came back to give me a necklace that I lost 2 years ago at his house. He cleaned out his house and I guess he found it.

,Dakota Wilkinson’

Hayes came back up and gave Dakota a small box.

“Wha…?” She questioned.

“Don’t question it. And don’t open it until tonight. It’s special…” Hayes said exciting the door. Dakota was curious. She wanted to open. But she needed to keep her promise with Hayes. So she waited.

~4 Hours Later~

Dakota was about to open the box. But she got a text from Hayes.

‘Don’t open it yet. :)’ Dakota smiled. She just went to her window and saw Hayes standing there.

“Come on! Are you scared to jump? I can catch you!” Hayes yelled, smiling. Dakota was scared of heights but she could trust Hayes. So she jumped with her phone in her pocket. She thought she was going to hit the ground. But she felt a pair of arms wrap around her. She looked up and saw that Hayes had caught her. He put her down and they both blushed.

“Where are you taking me?” Dakota asked. She took out her phone. “Want to take a picture and post it on snapchat?” Dakota asked, getting on the snapchat app. Right when Dakota took the picture Hayes kissed her cheek, making it to where they took the picture of him kissing her cheek. Dakota sent to Tayor and put it in her story.

“Hey!” Dakota looked to the side to see Ben walking over with a ticked off look on his face.

“Ben! Can I have some time to myself with my friends?!” Dakota whisper/ yelled. Ben was the oldest kid at the orphanage. He was 18. Never been adopted. All because of his looks. Jet black hair swept to the right side of his head. Brown eyes, tattoos, and piercings. But most of the people that come to the orphanage were alcoholics or drug users. Dakota didn’t want to get adopted. Some people wanted to adopt her but she didn’t want to go so she just not listen.

“You are coming with me! And I am telling Linda.” Linda was the head of the orphanage and wasn’t the nicest. She wasn't nice to Dakota at all. She was nice to all the other kids, but not her. He grabbed her arm and forcefully pulled her to the orphanage.

“Ben! Let me go! You can’t keep me closed in here forever!” Dakota was struggling but Ben put her over his shoulder.

“Hayes!” Dakota screamed. Ben walked in and put Dakota in a cellar and locked it. “Hayes!!” Dakota screamed again. She started crying and fell to the floor. She heard ringing.

She gasped. “I still have my phone!” She answered. “Hello?! Hello?!?!”

“Dakota calm down! I am coming as fast as I can! Where are you?” Hayes asks through the phone.

“In a cellar in the basement. Hayes, help me please…” Dakota pleads. She was scared. She had a tear stained face and red, bloodshot eyes. She heard someone picking the lock. She thought it was Linda.

...It’s Linda… Linda is coming to get me…

But when the door opened it was Hayes.

“Oh my gosh! Hayes!” She ran up and hugged Hayes, not wanting to let go.

“You really think I was going to leave you?” Hayes said. Dakota was still crying.

“Ben was going to leave me here.. He was going to get Linda…” Dakota cried in his chest. Hayes was way taller than Dakota. Making her not able to do all the other stuff that Hayes can do. For example, when Dakota went to Hayes’ house, she woke up before Hayes and she couldn’t reach the cereal, so she went to the closet to get the stool. By the time she came back, Hayes was standing there holding her favorite cereal in his hands.

“We need to get out of here. We need to get on a plane and see if we can go find your parents. Go to your room and get anything you need, Like water, food, extra clothes and anything else you need. Alright?” Hayes asks.

“Alright.” Dakota starts going up stairs, but comes back down. “What about Finn?” Dakota asks worried.

“Uhmm… Wait! Your aunt lives around here right?” Hayes asks.

“Yeah. Why?” Dakota asks.

“We can take him there and we can go find your parents.” Hayes said.

“Alright… can we not tell her about our plan though?” She asked. She didn’t want her aunt, Harley, to call Linda and make sure that Dakota stays in the orphanage.

“Yeah, of course.” Hayes said walking into Finn’s room. “Hey Finn, come with me and Dakota. We gonna take you to visit your aunt.” Hayes came down, with Finn following close behind.

“You can take him there while I pack up, Ok?” Hayes nodded. Dakota went up to her room. She got ten water bottles, some sandwiches, chips, and an extra pair of clothes. She put on some comfortable clothes and packed some in a bag.

~Dakota’s POV~

Alright I have water, food, clothes… What else do I need? My phone! I got my phone and put it in my bag. I saw Hayes waiting for me.

“Ready to go?” Hayes asks.

“Yup! Let’s go!” I said. We got in his car. We started driving to the airport. I plugged my iPhone into the radio and we started listening to 5sos. Hayes wasn’t a big fan of it. I turned down the music to tell him something.

“Hayes, are you a little bit, well… scared…?” I asked. I was scared to death. “What if I don’t find my parents?” I said, tearing up. Hayes pulled over and got out, and started walking over to my side of the car.

“Hayes, what are you doing?” I asked, obviously confused. He picked me up, and started walking.

“Seriously, What are you doing?” I asked. I thought he was going to throw me into a ditch and leave me or just put me down and run off.

“We, or I, will be walking to the airport. It is only a five minute walk. And I am carrying you.” Hayes can be such a nice guy, but he can be mean.

~Narrator's POV~

Dakota was starting to get an idea to run away from Hayes.

3...2...1...Now! Dakota quickly got out of his grip and ran away.

“Dakota! What the heck?!” Hayes was running after her. Since Hayes was on the track team, he could run really fast. He caught up with Dakota and scooped her up in his arms. Dakota started to laugh.

“Hey, it’s only a 1 minute walk now. Look!” Dakota saw plane flying, telling them that they were really close.

“Well, we better catch our flight before we get stuck here.” Hayes said, obviously worried. Dakota had her bag of things she needed on her back. Hayes had his on his back too. They both, were wearing hats too.

~On airplane~
Dakota was nervous. She has never ridden a plane before, but the weird thing is, there was only probably a few more people on. ‘

“Hayes, I am scared…” Dakota started shaking. Knowing her parents might be dead, scares her. But it scares Hayes knowing that she might kill herself if we don’t find her parents.

“Hello, this is your flight attendant, Valerie, speaking. Please fasten your seat belts, shut down all electronics. And enjoy your flight!” Valerie said. Dakota put her head in her knees. She thought they weren’t going to make it.

“Oh my gosh, Dakota?” Dakota turned around to find her childhood friend, Sarah Fitzgerald. It has been years since she last saw her.

“SARAH!” Dakota yelled. Which earned a lot of stares from the few other people. “Come on sit next to me!” Dakota



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.