Guardian of Light | Teen Ink

Guardian of Light

December 18, 2014
By MikeDragneel BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
More by this author
MikeDragneel BRONZE, Tucson, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Author's note:

this is only the first few chapters

8:05.  An alarm clock began its ringing.  A hand reached over from the side of a bed, and it punched the off button on the top of the clock.  Slowly, a figure began to crawl out from under the warmth of the covers that laid thrown about on the bed.  The figure allowed himself to fall out of his bed, and land on the floor with a loud slam.  A voice boomed through the closed door of the bedroom, “Xai! For s***’s sake! Can’t you get out of bed without sounding like you are about to come crashing through the floor?!”  Xai continued to lay on the floor, his face pressed against the carpet, his left arm in front of him, his right behind his back, and the lower half of his body still in bed.

   “Mmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhh,” Xai replied.  He began to pull himself forward, letting the rest of his body slowly slide off of the bed, and drop onto the floor.  He then granted himself a few moments of rest, after completing the challenging task of getting out of bed.  With a loud and effort filled grunt, Xai pushed himself up to a standing position.  He began trudging his way over to the bathroom.  As Xai entered the shower, he turned the water on as hot as he could bear, and stood still, letting the water run down his body.  He cherished every second he spent in the heat, for once he left the shower, his day would officially begin, and Xai knew that this was going to be a long day.

   The spray of water coming from the shower head dripped to a stop.  Xai stepped out of the shower and grabbed a towel off of the rack.  As he began drying himself off, he stood in front of his mirror.  He finished drying his body, and quickly dried his hair.  He threw his towel onto the floor, and took a look at himself in the mirror.  He took in every detail of the reflection staring back at him.  Short, black spiky hair, olive green eyes, and a small nose.  Xai took a deep breath in, and held it for a moment, then he exhaled.  “Lets just get this day over with,” he said to himself.  

   Xai stepped out of the bathroom, and into his bedroom.  He walked over to his dresser and pulled out underwear, jeans, a black t-shirt, and a black jacket.  He quickly got dressed, and left his bedroom.  He quickly ran downstairs, grabbed a donut from his kitchen, grabbed his backpack and started heading towards the front door.  As he reached for the door handle, a shouting voice echoed from behind him. “XAI!”  Xai turned to look over his shoulder.  A tall figure with greying hair, and a grey beard stood at the entrance to the living room.

   “What?”  Xai turned back to face the front door.  He heard the footsteps of the figure getting closer to him.  “What do you want?” asked Xai.  “What makes you think you can take that tone with me?” asked the figure.  Xai took in a staggered breath, he knew what was going to happen, and he wasn’t looking forward to it.  “I really don’t have time for this,” Xai said, “I have to go now or I am going to be late.”  Xai tried to open the door as quickly as he could in an attempt to escape the house.  The figure’s hand slammed into the door, knocking it closed.  Xai closed his eyes, he couldn’t get away this time.  A hand slammed down on his shoulder, and he felt himself being spun around.  When he was brought around to face the figure he was greeted with a rough slap to the face, which instantly sent him falling to the ground.  Xai felt his head slam against the floor, followed by a sharp pain shooting through his skull.  “You can leave when I tell you you can leave you little s***!”  

   Xai felt the figure’s hand grab his hair, and in an instant he was being hoisted back to his feet.  Xai reached up and grabbed the hand in an attempt to free himself from the grasp.  “I am your uncle, and you will learn to show me some GODDAMN RESPECT!” shouted Xai’s uncle.  Xai’s uncle then punched Xai in the stomach as hard as he could. Xai dropped down to the floor, gasping for breath.  “Now that we have some understanding, listen up.  I want you to go to the store right now and—”  Before the Uncle could finish his sentence, Xai kicked him in the crotch as hard as could, which sent him to the ground writhing in pain.  Xai quickly jumped to his feet and rushed towards the door.  As he opened the front door, he turned back to face his uncle, “F*** YOU! YOU DON’T CONTROL ME! YOU AREN’T MY DAD!  DON’T TOUCH ME EVER AGAIN!"  

   Houses passed by in a blur.  Xai was running as fast as he could.  He kept running until he reached a small coffee on the right side of the street.  He burst through the front doors at full speed before slowing to a stop.  He stood there for a moment, placing his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath.  “Xai, are you ok?” a voice asked from across the shop.  Xai looked up and saw a girl with long, brown hair, green eyes, and a golden locket hanging from her neck walking towards him.

   “I’m okay... Just give me a second,” replied Xai, “Stressful morning.”  The girl continued walking towards him.  “Are you sure? You look like you just came from a fight,” the girl said.  “I’m fine Lily, really.  I’m... fine...” Xai said.  Lily stood in front of Xai as he stood back up.  Xai stared into Lily’s eyes for a moment, then he quickly turned and started looking at the space occupying the left side of her head.  “... What’s that?” Lily asked.  She placed her hand on Xai’s chin and turned his head back to face her, “What’s that red mark?”.  Xai quickly pulled away and covered up the mark with his hand, “NOTHING! It’s nothing!”  Xai turned to leave the shop, when Lily grabbed his jacket and spun him back around to face her, “Xai! Who did this to you?!” Lily demanded.  Xai looked at Lily for a moment, then lowered his head in embarrassment, “My asshole of an uncle...”  Lily released her grip on Xai, and threw her arms around him and pulled him in close.  “Why don’t you just run away from their? He has caused you nothing but pain and suffering.  Why do you stay there?”

   Xai slowly put his arms around Lily and hugger her back.  He took a staggered breath in, letting himself enjoy into the comfort that Lily’s embrace provided.  “I don’t have anywhere else to go... I don’t have any other choice...”  Lily pulled away slightly so she could look into Xai’s eyes, “Come live with me and my family.  My parents love you like a son.  They would take you in in a heartbeat!.”  Xai looked back into Lily’s eyes for a moment before turning his head away to break their eye contact.  “I can’t do that.  I can’t just make your family take care of me like that...”  Lily placed her hand on his cheek and turned him back to face her.  “Now look here, I’m not going to let you stay another day at your uncle’s house, so you either move in with me after school today, or I drag your ass to my house and I make you move in.”  Xai opened his mouth to debate, but no words came, he let out a sigh, he knew he had lost any chance of arguing.  “I guess i’m moving in with you and your family today aren’t I?”  Lily smiled, and pulled Xai in for another hug, “Now your being smart!”  After a moment, Lily began to pull away from their embrace.  Xai let her pull away, and he released her.  Lilt walked past him and started for the exit, “Come on roomie!  We are going to be late for school!”  Xai turned and watched her leave.  He stood glued to his spot, taking in every detail of her.  He


looked down at the floor as he felt his face start to turn red, and he smiled.  This was why he loved her.  He started jogging after her.

Xai and Lily rounded the corner of a block.  As they walked, they talked about a wide variety of topics, covering the latest episode of their favorite show that aired last night, how prepared they were for the history test they were taking tomorrow, new movie releases that looked good, and so on.  While they walked Xai kept glancing at Lily, letting himself fall deeper in love with her at every glance.  Without him knowing, Lily kept glancing at Xai, letting herself fall deeper in love with him.  Xai kept feeling the urge to reach over and take Lily’s hand, completely unaware that she felt the same urge.

   The two kept walking for several minutes before they reached an ally on their right.  Lily stopped walking and looked down through the ally.  “Xai! Let’s cut through this ally.  It looks like it can get us to school faster!”  Xai stopped and turned back to face Lily.  “Do you really think that is a good idea?” Xai asked.  Lily started to walk into the ally, “Come on!  We are late as it is!  This will be a lot faster!”  Without another word she disappeared into the ally.  Xai stood there for a moment, “Man… She is a lot braver than I will ever be…” he thought to himself.  He took a deep breath and let out a sigh.  He started towards the ally.  As he rounded the corner, he saw that Lily was already on the other side of the ally.  She raised her hand into the air and gestured for him to hurry up.  He smiled at the sight of her, and began his trek towards the end of the ally.

   As he got closer to Lily, he began to see the details of her smiling face get clearer.  Xai thought to himself about how much he loved Lily, and he vowed that he was going to tell her how he truly felt by the end of the day.  He looked down at the ground to hide his reddening face as he got closer to her.  He gathered himself, “Not now,” he thought to himself.  “I can’t give myself away just yet.  I have to wait until the moment is right.”  He looked back up to see that Lily’s expression had changed.  Her face that was once filled with joy was now filled with horror.  Here eyes had widened, her mouth was hanging open slightly.  Xai cocked his head to the side slightly as he wondered what was wrong.  He opened his mouth to ask what was bothering her, when he suddenly felt a hot, hard object strike him in the back of the head.  Pain shot all down Xai’s body as he fell to his knees screaming in pain.  He heard Lily screaming his name, but he lacked the strength to raise his head to look at her.  He heard her screams get cut off suddenly, and he forced himself to look up at her.  He saw a figure wearing a black cloak lifting Lily off of the ground by her throat.  Xai forced himself to get to his feet, and he charged at the figure.  “HEY!  LET HER GO!”  Just as Xai was about to tackle the cloaked figure to the ground, he vanished into a cloud of dark-purple dust, taking Lily with him.  Xai quickly came to a stop.  “What the hell?!” he said under his breath.  He turned around to see the figure now standing at the other end of the ally holding a knife with a black blade to Lily’s throat.  “NO! NO! PLEASE DON’T HURT HER!” Xai pleaded.  “I’LL GIVE YOU ANYTHING YOU WANT!  JUST LEAVE HER ALONE!”.

   Xai slowly began walking towards the figure holding Lily.  “Please… I’ll do anything you want…  Just don’t hurt hurt her…  Please…  She is everything to me…”  Xai began to cry.  He continued walking towards the figure.  “How sweet…”.  Xai spun around to face the voice that had just came from behind him.  For a split second he saw a second cloaked figure holding a dark-purple glowing flame in his right hand.  The figure punched Xai across the face with the hand that held the purple flame.  Xai was sent flying into the wall of the ally.  He was moving so fast that the wall cracked when his spine came into contact with the stone wall.  Within a split second the cloaked figure was in front of Xai, and with a wave of his hands he forged purple flames around Xai’s wrists and ankles, and pinned him to the wall.  Xai fought back with all the strength he could manage to muster, but it was no use.  The harder Xai fought, the tighter the straps became.  The figure holding Lily turned to look at the other, “What do we do with this one?” he gestured towards Lily with the blade of the knife.  “Kill her and taker her Essence.  She is too weak in her current form to be of any use to us.”  Xai quickly looked over at Lily with tears pouring down his face.  The figure raised the knife into the air, and suddenly the blade grew longer, until it was the length of a sword.  He spun Lily around and stabbed the sword through her stomach without hesitation.  Lily turned her head to look back at Xai.  She smiled at him one last time, then she turned her head back to face her murderer.  

   With a quick movement of his arm the cloaked figure pulled the black sword out of Lily’s stomach and delivered a quick slash across her chest.  With a last gasp for air, Lily dropped to her knees, and then she fell onto her side.  “Li-Lily... Lily... Please... Talk to me... Please... Don’t leave me...  LILY!” Xai screamed.  Suddenly, a golden light encased Lily’s body.  With a quick flash the light was gone, and so was Lily.  All that remained of her was a sparkling pile of hazel colored ashes, and her golden locket.  The cloaked figure reached into his pocket and produced a small glass vile.  He removed the cork from the top of the vile, and waved his hand the ashes flew through the air and made their way into the vile.  The cloaked figure forced the cork back onto the top of the vile.  He looked at the figure that had attacked Xai.  “It’s done.”  Xai’s mouth was hanging open, and tears were flowing down his face like waterfalls.  The figure closest to Xai turned to face him.  “Now that that is over with we can get down to business.”  Xai lowered his head.  As he closed his eyes, he prepared himself for the worst.  “Don’t you dare give up,” said a voice, “Keep fighting.  You have to escape so you can get stronger.  You have to escape so you can save me.”  Xai’s eyes shot open.  “... You... You... You BASTARDS!  I’LL KILL YOU!”  Xai began screaming at the top of his lungs while he pushed against his restraints.  He felt ever fiber of his body start to burn as if he was standing in the middle of an inferno.  He suffered through the pain and pushed harder with ever passing second until he finally felt the restraints start to give way under the pressure.  The two cloaked figures jumped back in surprise.  “How is he doing this?!  That shouldn’t be possible!”  With one last push, Xai felt the restraints around his wrists and ankles break.  He was free.  Without hesitation Xai charged the two cloaked figures.  Before they even had time to reach Xai had begun to throw a left hook.  The cloaked figure holding the golden instrument felt Xai’s punch connect with the side of his jaw, which was followed by a loud cracking sound, and a sharp pain shooting throughout his entire body.  The cloaked figure went flailing onto the ground.  Xai turned to face the figure that was holding the sword.  He stared into the murderer’s eyes.  “... You’re next...”
   Xai pushed off the ground with his feet and began running full speed at Lil’y murderer.  The cloaked figure quickly began stepping backwards in an attempt to put some distance between himself and Xai.  The figure stopped his retreat suddenly and thrusted the point of his sword forward.  Xai reached forward and grabbed the blade of the sword with his bare hand.  He felt the blade begin to slice deep into his hand.  Xai felt his hand start to burn as blood began pouring out of his hand.  Xai began screaming in pain as he forced the blade to his left as he kept running at the cloaked figure.  As Xai felt his left hand reach the hilt of the sword, he brought his right fist back as far as he could.  Xai swung his fist forward  at full force until he felt it come into contact with the figure’s cheekbone.  The cloaked figure felt his hand release the handle of the sword as he fell back onto the ground.  In a quick motion, Xai grabbed the handle of the black sword with his right hand and with a loud, wet tearing sound, ripped the blade out of his hand.  The cloaked figure staggered back to his feet.  As he turned to find Xai he felt a sharp, burning pain quickly tear across his chest.  He looked down at his chest which was now gushing blood, he looked up in time to see Xai stab him through the heart.  Xai stared deep into the figure’s dying eyes.  With one final push of the sword Xai drove the rest of the blade through the figure’s heart.  Breathing heavily, Xai slowly started pulling the sword out of the figure’s chest.  Once the blade was fully removed from the chest of his opponent, Xai lowered his arm, and let the sword slip out of his grip.  Xai watched as the cloaked figure fell onto the ground.  He turned to face the only remaining attacker.  Just as Xai caught a glimpse of the other figure he felt his flaming fist connect with his cheek, which sent him flying through the air.

   Xai felt his skull come into contact with the concrete, accompanied by a loud cracking sound.  As the rest of his body fell to the ground, his vision became blurry.  He spastically looked around for the cloaked figure while trying to make sense of what was around him.  Xai felt a hand tighten around his throat, and he felt his head being forced back onto the concrete.  He gasped for air.  Xai’s vision started to fade into black.  “This is it...” he thought to himself, “I’m sorry Lily... I couldn’t save you... And now I can’t even avenge you...”  Xai tried to suck down one last breath of air before he died.  Just as he felt himself start to slip away, he found he could breathe again.  He inhaled deeply, taking in every piece of air he could.  Xai rolled over onto his knees and began coughing up blood.  He lifted his head to see where the cloaked figure had gone.  As he looked up, he saw three pairs of eyes staring back at him.  Xai felt his arms buckle, and he fell back onto the concrete.  His vision faded to black, and just as he lost consciousness, he felt two people start to pick him up by his arms.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.