Holding the Flame | Teen Ink

Holding the Flame

By alex1999, San Diego, California
alex1999, San Diego, California

It aint over till its over- Yogi Berra

Author's note:

Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift

English

alt
alt

Preferences

“Why can’t I be like anyone else, why must I be so different?” I ask myself  while sitting on his my bed in my recently painted room with a T.V., a Computer and a few other things. The only thing I  want is to be normal and be like other 14 year olds who get to live their lives and do whatever they want with no worries, thing is I could never live like this. Its not that I don’t  want to, I just have too many responsibilities like caring for my brother and my Dad after our  mother left when I was 7 because of my dads “drinking problem”.
I also can’t let anyone know of my secret that only my Dad, brother, and mother know about which is a pretty heated thing to discuss about; whenever I’m frustrated, my hands seem to be so endothermic that my hands turn into pretty much a hand-held fireball. Thats why I can’t be around anything warm and I’m always eating ice-cubes and I’m pretty much isolated from the whole world; this is all because of my Dads own dark secret. See, my Dad has a curse also that was put on him by his Dad because of his mothers drinking problem. Dad’s curse is unlike his my curse where he turns into a towering demon that has enough power to destroy the city; this only happens when he is overly intoxicated.
“Hey James.” says Elliott, my brother who seems to be my “polar opposite” because Elliott was cursed also; he has the power to control water.
“Yeah”
“Time for dinner, we're having pizza”
“OK I’ll  be down there in a minute”

When I get downstairs I see my Dad on the couch eating pizza like a slob while watching football as Elliott is at the table doing his homework and eating pizza at the same time. As soon as I get down the stairs, I looks at my Dad in disgust after watching him go towards the freezer to get out a bottle of whisky.When this happened I felt furious and started yelling at him;
“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!”
“ I’m an adult, I’m allowed to drink if I want to” Says my Dad.

This thing that my Dad has with alcohol enrages me so much that my hands get so hot that the fire turns to a metallic blue. His Dad then pops off the cap and takes a big swig of the whisky that he turns into his demon-like self. With the help of the my hands ,I then blast a fireball towards my Dad and end up hitting the bottle with a tremendous shatter. While my Dad seems enraged he flies off and leaves both Elliott and me in the house to fend with no help or guidance from anybody.

The next day Elliott and I set out for some help from our  uncle Demetri who is also part demigod, born of the god Zeus and ask him to see if there is anything that can lift their Dads curse.
“ I believe that there is” Says Demetri
“Where? please tell us; we’ll do anything” I replied with a very worried tone.
“Well if I recall, I remember there being a  special flower located somewhere in the pacific ocean that is heavily guarded by mysterious sea creatures”
“ Ok thank you so much Uncle  Demetri”

So my brother and I then headed out on our new-found journey to find this flower in order to bring back the  human-form of my  Dad back and to be relieved of this curse for the sake of  everyone else. So sneaking out of the country would be the easy part; the part that would be hard was getting our hands on a boat.
    “Hey are you sure about this?” Elliot whispers to me.
    “You want to cure dad don’t you?”
    “Yeah, well its just we could get in a lot of trouble doing all of this”
    “If we don’t do this then we’ll be in some serious trouble because dad will keep drinking and he’s going to destroy things that can put peoples lives in danger”

So we decide that the only way we could be able to get a boat was to steal one from the dock. Our boat that we needed to get needed to be compact, fast and has a GPS. The boat seemed to be our main problem but I just realized another problem we have, a more personal problem; I don’t like being out in open waters. But this can be subsided because it was either I deal with my problem or we could let innocent lives deal with a much bigger problem.
    So I decide to be the bigger person and decide that we should head home and pack a few things before we leave to go on our journey like clothes, food, drinks, and of course cool shades; to hide our eyes from the sun. We then set off to go towards the dock and scout out which boat we should take for the trip.

Elliott then points to a small compact motorboat that has everything we need and because he has water powers he automatically knows how fast the boat goes.
“ That one rides at about 175 K/HR and its perfect for what we need” whispers Elliot
“You’re right, the only thing is getting past security without getting in trouble or causing problems” I explain to him in a concerned manner.
Elliott then creates a big wave near the dock and waits till the guards get closer together than... SPLASH!!!
    “Took care of it” Elliott replies with a smirk.
Once we got on the boat we got settled and took off and Elliott says that he’ll be taking care of the driving and directions part. So after that I decided that I’ll go to sleep for a while and when I wake up it’ll be Elliotts turn to sleep; I’m pretty sure that with our luck we are going to need our sleep.

“Hey James come check this out; you may want to see this”

Apparently we got some help from some distant relatives because what Elliott showed me was a slip of paper that read:
    Good Job on the Boat boys, If you ever need my help on the high seas, just use the conch located in the drawer closest to the wheel,Good luck.
            Grandpa P.(Poseidon)
Well, apparently Poseidon wants to help us,(Thank god!!) now I don’t have to worry so much about drowning.
    “lets go see if we can find that conch” Elliott suggests
    “Good idea”
After we find the conch, we decided to give it a little test and blew the conch. As soon as we blew the conch the sky turned into a stormy grey with thundering clouds and massive wave sizes.
    “Elliott, Can you control the waves?” I ask but he couldn’t hear me because of the sounds that are going on. Then we see him, one of our grandpa’s; Poseidon. He towers over us coming out of the water and stares down at us.
“YOU CONCHED” Poseidon yelled.
“ We need directions to get the flower to bring our Dad back into  a human instead of demon form” I say.
“FOLLOW THIS DOLPHIN TO FIND YOUR WAY”
“Ok Thanks Poseidon”
“YOU’RE WELCOME GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DAD”
He then vanished back into the sea and a small little dolphin popped up, we then set off again in our boat following after the dolphin at racing speeds to try and get the flower to save our Dad before its too late and we have to destroy him instead of saving him. I then stand next to Elliott and tell him to go get some rest and that I’ll keep us on track, he agrees and vanishes from my view and now its time for me to conquer my fears and be brave enough to stay calm for whatever happens. I then see the dolphin dive underwater and figure he’s going down for some food and then I decided to wait for him to come up to continue my journey, only thing is, he didn’t come back up.
    “Elliott, you may want to come here” I yell.

“The dolphins gone” I say worriedly to Elliott
“ How could it be gone?” Elliot asks
“I don’t know can you sense it”
“I don't know I’ll try” Then Elliott closes his eyes and opens them with a stare like he just saw a ghost.
“The dolphin died”
“How”
“He got eaten by a creature I’ve never seen before”
“ Well how are we going to ge...”
I couldn’t finish my sentence because of what i just felt.Something just nudged the boat. Elliott and I look at each other in disbelief and realized we needed to do something before it was too late.
    “Ok I’ll lure it out by getting in the water and start swimming and when it gets close enough, I’ll put a water wall around it then you use the harpoon and harpoon the creature.”Elliott explains to me.
    “Ok, Just be careful there may be more” I replied but soon enough he was in the water looking waiting for the creature like he was an injured zebra and the creature was the lion. Then he saw the creature, a green,scaly, uglier than one of those zombies you see on T.V.,monster towering at about 10 feet tall.Elliott then put up this monstrous wall that blocked the monster and surrounded the monster in walls of water.
    “Now James!!!” Elliott yells and I just let that thing fly and the harpoon had a kick-back which I didn’t know about so I almost fell over the side of the boat but found my balance just in time. “SHANK” went the harpoon into the beast but the beast did not go down but looked at me and said:
    “ONLY FIRE CAN KILL MEEE!!!”
so i decided that it was time to get angry by telling Elliott to insult me with hurtful things.While doing this, the one insult which I know he didn’t mean but was hurtful was
    “I HATE YOU”
and then my hands went ablazing. I then focused all of my energy on the fire which I was about to throw at the beast and I needed to do this fast so Elliott didn’t faint out in the water and then I just let the ball of blue heat go and it then hit the beast in the chest and the beast went down.
The only thing I remember after that was Elliott getting on the ship and then everything went black as sky and I didn’t seem to wake up until two days later. When I woke up, Elliott was right there at my side telling me everything that happened when I passed out, apparently the dolphin got released when the beast died because he was in the beast's stomach. He then told me that the dolphin has taken us to the place with the flower and we were there just waiting on me to wake up and think of a plan on how to get this flower so we decided to call on Grandpa P once more.
Yet thing is he never came, so we thought he couldn’t hear us so we tried the conch again and again he didn’t show so we decided that we needed Elliott to go down and scope out what laid ahead.
Elliott then went down under for about 15 minutes and said that he had found the flower we needed but only a person with a “burning desire” to get this flower can reach according to the scriptures under the flower inscribed on the clay flame torch holder. If we were going to get the flower, someone with a burning desire can get it. Only thing is that Elliott has water power and hates fire and If it weren’t for me then he would extinguish all fire he saw so that meant I had to get the flower( good thing that the boat we jacked had a scuba diving set). Elliott also forgot to mention that the guards guarding the flower where  sharks and there was a dolphin peacekeeper; Elliott and I both don’t know why it would be a dolphin, but it is what it is.
    So I put on the scuba set and we both headed down towards the flower without anything because anything else we had but ourselves was pretty  useless. The flower was a thing of beauty with purple petals and an orange tinge on the end of the flower.
Once we reached the sea floor where the flower was there was a line of sirens just trying to get the flower as we did so we got in line behind the sirens and waited for our turn. As soon as we got to the front, Elliott went first and tried to grab the flower head on but was stuck and didn’t even move a millimeter and then it was my turn. So I took my turn and the same thing happened but I just couldn’t understand what went wrong so I looked around to see if there was a line behind me but there wasn’t so I decided to try again; but as soon as I was about to go again I saw the clay torch tower unlit and it had a torch in it that could be lit.
    Then after some thought I decided to try to control my fire to see if I can light underwater and on my command and thought about the destruction that would happen if I didn’t get this flower and then my hands went ablaze; Underwater! After I got over the fact that I can control my fire, I lit the torch then reached for the flower not realizing my hands were still going and grabbed the flower stress free. Now it all makes sense that a person needs a “burning desire” and my hands apparently are pretty burnish. With the flower in my hands my brother and I started to drift up when I hear;
    “JAMES, HELP ME!!!”
and saw Elliott start to sink down with the help of the sirens when I started up my hands again and started firing the balls of fire at the sirens but they kept coming. And then out of no-where, a bunch of sea animals come out and start attacking the sirens and then Elliott is free and starts to drift up with me.
As soon as we get to the top, I turn to Elliott and tell him that we did it and see that he’s having trouble swimming so I drag him to the boat and haul him up and over and set him on the ground to examine what’s wrong because he seemed unconscious and thats when I put my hand on his chest to see if he was breathing and felt blood and my hand went through a hole. Elliott was killed by the siren that poked his rather sharp, razor tail into my brothers chest. This was the worst thing that could have happened to me right now and after I got over the shock of the fact that he’s dead, I began to cry yelling that he couldn’t leave me and there was no-one there to comfort me with this loss.So I then wrap him in a blanket and drag myself to the conch to call posiedon as he slowly emerges through the water with the sadddest look ever and says to me
    “I  HEARD WHAT HAPPENED AND I’M VERY SORRY, WILL YOU STILL CONTINUE ON THIS JOURNEY?”
    “Please just take his body and rest it in your palace please for an actual funeral that he deserves”
    “OF COURSE”
And then he was down in the water again with the body of my lifeless brother as the clouds in the sky are gloomy and I feel like nothing has any meaning as I walk back into the cabin and try to shut out the world with some rest and time to myself which I will have a-lot of now.
    “James, wake up and I’ll guide you towards your only hope at getting your brother back”
    “Who was that” I said as I walked out towards the side of the boat wondering what it was calling me.
“Down here” Calls a small dolphin
“How can I hear you?” I asked the Dolphin
“We felt bad for you, so we wanted to help you finish your Journey”
    “Where are you going to lead me?” I ask
    “Your Grandpa Hades”

So I then followed this dolphin because he wanted to help me when I didn’t want to continue. So as soon as I saw land the dolphin told me that I was in Hollywood and I needed to go to the hollywood sign and set the H on fire but the neighborhood won’t see this on fire because of the mist, a magical sealing type of thing; basically magic.I then thank the dolphin and head towards inland to try and get “Grandpa” to bring back Elliott. As soon as I get closer to the shore, I start to feel more and more hatred for my GrandDad Hades because of what is going on with my body and putting me through this hell to save my Dad and have my brother be killed in the midst of it.
I can already tell by the way that I’m feeling that nothing is going to ever be the same after I meet Hades and thats when I told myself to get my act together after I turned to look at the flower to make sure that it was still there and saw the flower begin to die slowly. So after some quick thinking I decided to get a mug from one of the cabinets on the boat, fill it with water and place the flower in it on my way towards the humongous Hollywood sign. No doubt that people will look at me weird but its for a cause that they would never understand and after realizing this I sent off on my journey to hopefully bring back my dead brother and save my Dad without failing at the same time.
    “Geez, how am I supposed to light that?” I tell myself as soon as I get to the H on the Hollywood sign and see a-lot of burn marks on the letter itself; that dolphin was right that mist really does hide everything from regular people. But that was not my main problem, the problem was that in order to get inside I had to light the letter but the only way I can light it is by lighting that torch at the top of the letter and the letter was drenched in gasoline so if I lighting the torch is my main concern aside from the flower and my brothers soul being in that vast, dark underworld somewhere.Then I hear a voice in my head telling me that the only way to get this thing on fire is to concentrate on the fire that I’m going to have to hurl up there. “
Ok, so I have to concentrate right? Lets give it a shot!”
First things first, have my hands be engulfed in flames; check.Step two, concentrate and Step three, fire away. So concentrating, do I just think about something that annoys me or something I love or what?
    “Think of good things and how they were taken away from you” whispers something going along with the subtle breeze.
    “Who was that” I respond
    “It’s me, Elliott, I’m talking to you through your mind”  replied the voice
    “Ok, this is weird and I’ll try to do what you said, and don’t worry; I’ll be there soon to revive you.”
    “Focus on the Journey at hand first, save dad then come and try to revive me, no matter what I’ll always be here to help you when you need it”
Now listening towards my brothers advice, I think of all the times that I had spent with him that were awesome and how those sirens had taken him away with me.
    “AAAAHHHH” I scream as I release a huge fireball towards the torch and actually hit my target. As soon a the torch is hit the whole H sign is engulfed in a brilliant metallic blue. Oh, that was easier than I had thought it would be; thanks Elliott for the help. Now time to go see Hades, get some help from him, save my dad and rescue Elliott; simple enough I think as I head into the dark door that had just swung open and awaited the darkness that awaited me inside.

“Whoosh” go my hands as I light up my hands so I can see in the dark, and As soon as I realize that I was walking on a very thin walkway toward a dark, demonic looking castle and decide to head towards the castle which I take to be my grandad’s house.
    As soon as I get to the castle, a hellhound comes out and surprisingly talks to me; IN PERFECT ENGLISH! After I get over my initial shock of seeing this, he asks what do I want; I tell him that I need to see Hades and to tell Hades that his grandson is here. The hellhound then goes back inside and yells at me to follow him into the castle to see Hades. As soon as we get into the throne room, I see my grandDad sitting in his throne next to a younger woman who seems to be sweating and then I see Elliotts ghost standing next to Hades when Hades begins to speak.
“Yes what would you like from me boy, who are you and state what you want.” Hades says
“My name is James and I’m one of your many grandsons. I came to ask to see if you can help me to defeat my Dad and keep this flower from dying.”
With a surprised look on his face he says “Why the flower?”
“ To cure my Dad from a curse you put on him because of his mother because of her drinking problem, The curse turns him into something demonic and he flew off with enough alcohol to keep him in that form forever.”
“I see, For defeating your Dad I can not help you but only can I teach you and my new wife will take the flower and get it ready to fix your Dad.”
Hades’ new wife then comes down to take the flower and walks off into another chamber.
    “Will you accept my help?” Hades asks
    “Anything to save any of my family”

“Ok, I see that your brother has already told you how to concentrate the fire size, distance, and velocity. But your Dads curse is going to take more than that, are you ready to begin?” Hades asks
    “I hope so” I replied
We then get started on some “Basic maneuvers” where I have to hit each dummy with a ball of fire in each spot that I’m supposed to hit. Yes it took me a while but after I did what I was told, Hades seemed to be very impressed but he said that it was not good enough and to keep practicing.
    I have now done this exercise for more than four hours and I’m starting to get really frustrated and then I went  up to Hades and tell him that this is no help. Hades then told me that if this really was the case then I would have to beat him in a battle and if I won, I could leave and go cure my dad without his help whatsoever. So he wants a challenge, then I’ll give him a challenge and we set the fight for tomorrow morning.
    Now Hades leads me towards an arena and somehow shape shifts into a demon like my Dad. Him doing this only gets me even more aggravated and I start trying to attack him but all of my shots are way off and he can only seem to laugh and tell me that my anger is what’s keeping me from hitting him. He also said that I need to channel my anger into one ball and that would help me hit him. I then concentrate really hard for about two minutes and see a huge fireball on my hands and let loose at him but it still ends up missing and I don’t know why I did exactly what he said.
    “You didn’t channel all of your anger there is still some in there inside you that you keep denying that needs to be let out.” Hades says with a meaningful tone.
    “No I put all my anger into that, about my dad,my mom, Elliott dying, and everything else.” I replied
    “Come see me when you realize what anger you have held in for so long but never let out.”
I then storm off and go towards my chamber that I was given to stay in. As soon as I get on my bed Elliott walks in.
    “Hey I heard what happened James, Hades is right you still have more left in you.” Elliott says
    “No I don’t and if I do then tell me what it is” I scream
    “For that I can not tell you because this journey isn’t just for dad anymore, it’s also for you to find yourself”
I then scream at Elliott to leave me alone and he’s gone. What does he mean that this journey is for me just as much as it is for saving dad? I mean…...yeah he’s right that I don’t really know who I am and this makes me angry. Anyways, I should get some sleep; I need to get some rest because I can tell that tomorrow I’m going to do something very hard….thinking and training at the same time.
    You know, I’m actually starting to get good at this whole fireball thing.Just think about all the things I could do that I’ve never thought about doing before like cooking my own food or lighting a fire at christmas time or even create a campfire. I think that I finally found out what I never thought about being mad about, I’m mad at myself because if it weren’t for me Elliott would still be living and our dad would probably still be sitting on the couch watching football and everything would be normal.
Now I think Hades is about to be lit by me using the practice that I have done with all of these things that he has provided me with to enhance my skills in order to save my dad. If you think about it Hades is actually really cool. At dinner time our dinner is some tender, juicy, perfectly cooked steaks, I’ve never actually had anything like this and its AWESOME. Most of our meals back home are just pizza and water but today it’s steak with potatoes with a glass of orange juice. I didn’t even mean to have such bad table manners by gorging down everything on my plate and as soon as I look up Hades is staring at me in disbelief when he says…
    “Your Dad never made this for you or even taught you table manners?”
Then I replied by saying
    “ Nope, all we have with our dad is pizza and water. I guess he’s never been the same since mom left us.”
I remember it like it was yesterday when mom left, Dad and her got in a big fight about his drinking addiction and dad was firing right back by saying he wouldn’t need the alcohol if she would stay loyal to him which I still don’t understand what that means but she then left after saying bye to us and that was about the time that she left. I then snap back to reality when Hades screams at me
    “ANSWER ME BOY!!!”
    “Sorry I was daydreaming, can you repeat the question?”
    “I asked if you would like desert”
     “Oh yes please”
Then at the snap of his fingers 4 skeletal servants arrived with cartfuls of goodies and then Hades says that I’m allowed to have any of the deserts that I would like.
I then feel like a kid in a candy store, which I have never been and then pig out on chocolate cake, some brownies, something called a souffle, and about 20 chocolate chip cookies bathed in chocolate after going into a fondue bath. After pigging out, I feel like if I were to throw up then I would be able to bathe someone in vomit from head to toe… 3 times. Hades then tells me to take a walk with him after where done with dinner. I go along with him and we stroll through the nicer parts of the underworld like where all the good souls go and talk about my Dad. He tells me that he was very proud of my dad for trying so hard not to become an addict of alcohol like his mother but then he just collapsed the non-alcohol wall when my mother left. Hades also told me that he has always kept a close eye on, to protect us.
When I asked why he never helped us out with dad is because he said that they were never allowed to come in contact or destroy whatever they gave them, in this case that would be my Dad’s curse. After we discuss all of this he walks me to my chamber and tells me to try again with the fire against him; I told him ok and then walked over towards my bed. Now that I think of it, the past few hours have been the best few hours of my entire life and realize that Hades is actually just like poseidon, caring,compassionate , and very likeable.
    Today is the day that I show Hades that I have mastered the training that he has taught me. So Hades then turns back into that demonic creature and I get extremely enraged but I have to remind myself that I need to put my energy into my attack carefully and not go on a rampage with this anger that’s building up.
Hades then tells me that I can start whenever I wanted and as soon as he says this, I close my eyes and breathe deeply while thinking about what angers me. After a momentary silence my fireball begins to grow and grow and grow and I can see it in Hades’ eyes that he never expected this from me. As soon as I think that the ball is big enough I let loose and it’s on a straightaway towards hitting him but when it gets too close to comfort, Hades stops the attack in its tracks and just looks at it funny then tells me…
    “you’re ready”
    “What do you mean I’m ready?”
    “I mean that with a few more things that I need to teach you before you go face your Dad, you’ll be ready”

EVEN MORE TRAINING!!! Thats just great, I thought all I needed to do was hit him with a fireball; but it would be a good idea to stay around and make sure I have the skills to beat my dad. Hades says that we’ll start tomorrow with some things that may be essential in a battle with a cursed demonic creature.
I then go with Hades towards the dining room for lunch, we’re having  pastrami and corned beef sandwiches with a glass of lemonade. You know, the actually eat normal food down here instead of what some people would assume like brains or chicken guts(Mcdonalds chicken nuggets are the actual chicken nuggets). Nope they eat real good food; I think I put on some weight while I’ve been down here. I think that I put on so much that instead of fighting my dad, I’ll be fighting in a restaurant for more food. As we were eating, Hades’ wife comes out and after almost half a week and says that the flower is finally ready to be used and that we should come see it, so Hades and I then  get up and walk over to where she was standing and directed us to where the flower was.
WOW! she really has this whole flower thing locked down, she doesn’t have just that in her little room, she has a bunch of spells, experiments, and demons in a cage. Seems to me that she is a type of magical scientist.
“Are you a scientist?”
“No, I’m actually a witch”
“How did you meet Hades then?”
“Well, my ride crashed into the sign and lighted the H on the Hollywood sign on fire and then a door popped open and I decided to go inside”
“what happened next?”
“I fell in love”
My new “Grandma” then stared at Hades with complete absentness of everything around her like she was in a daze, Just stuck on Hades.
    “Are you going to show me the flower?”
    “Oh,” she says stammering “of course”
We then walk towards a desk where a powder is on it just glimmering, she tells me to watch as she took a pinch and flew it at one of the smaller demons. I couldn’t believe my eyes, the demon turned into a skeleton.
She then told me that the demon was a skeleton before-hand so that relieved me just a little bit that the powder works. I then ask how to put the powder on my dad and she told me to pick up some dust and see if the powder would evaporate if it was on fire. I then light my hands on fire to realize that the powder does not evaporate so I threw a fireball at one of the other demons and the demon quickly turned back into a skeleton but was slightly burned and I then realized looking like a big idiot that the fireball that Hades has been teaching me has been for throwing the powder at my dad with the fire and I only get one shot so thats why I had to practice. Hades then speaks to me and says……..
    “You understand why I had to keep testing you when you kept thinking that you were good enough”
    “I understand; and thank you for your help Hades and yours too Grandma”
    My grandma then says “ don’t worry about it call me Jenna.”
Oh, now that I know her name now things won’t be as awkward when I try to talk to her. Well now that I understand that the only way that I can bring back my dad is to pretty much burn him with the powder inside the fireball. Tomorrow  according to Hades, I’m going to learn how to other things than throw fireballs with my hands like flying.

Geez, flying is hard; apparently I have to try to keep a steady stream of fire going in order to fly and according to Hades the only way to do that is more concentrating and thinking about things I hate about the sky. Theres not really much that I hate except for the fact that when storms come if water gets on my hands my hands will start to steam and sting. Although there is one thing that I haven’t thought about, when our dad vanished it was raining after he left and it was sunny before that so I just hate the weather for causing so many memories to arise in me that I didn’t want to arise.
“Lets try again for one last time today” Hades says as I let loose after concentrating about weather and shot out a stream of red-orange fire that pushed me so far back with its force that I was afraid that I might fall and break something.
“Alright, now that you’ve gotten that down you need to learn how to control it.” Hades tells me
“How do i do that?”I say with the stream of fire still pushing against me” I can’t even get it to stop”
Then Hades tells me that I need to think of something happy to get the stream to stop, so I thought of my brother. Then the fire stopped; so I just need to think of something happy every time I get angry to make it stop. That makes more sense than waiting for the fire to burn out. Then it is time for dinner and then bed but dinner was even better than the steak, we had tacos… FROM MEXICO and they were still fresh too and they tasted amazing.
I ate like 10 carne asada and 5 chicken by myself, and don’t forget the 2 fish tacos. They seem to still be alive and assassins because they are killing my stomach to the point where I may be in the bathroom for a week. And after that Grandma Jenna flies on her broom to the baton rouge to get some fresh beignets and there AMAZING with there powdered sugar and soft dough, MMMHHH THEY’RE AWESOME. I then head off to bed with my stomach full, just resting and thought what it would be like if everyday was like this; just eating great food and getting to know my grandpa, But then I realized that this would never work.
It wouldn’t work because of me having to save my dad and the fact that I am all my dad pretty much has left and how being down here would not be good for my health besides food wise. I mean yeah it’s livable but it just might drive me to the looney bin seeing all of these souls staying down here and then become one of these people when I die. Plus I only came down here to get my brother and ask for Hades’ help in the first place. So after Hades’ teaches me how to fly I’m going to ask him to bring back Elliott and then go save my dad, but Elliott is going to have to stay down here and help Hades for a while until I come back. It would be too dangerous for Elliott to be out there and he has no training whatsoever and I can’t lose him again.
Thats why I have to do this by myself and I can’t ask Hades to defeat my dad for me because from what I know, the godly parents aren’t allowed to interact with their children by defeating them in battle and this comes into effect on me right now so after dinner tomorrow I’ll leave and head back home as soon as I can to save my dad before he does any damage; or any more than he has done. As I lay in bed I think about my life in general and how if I die when I get home that I’ll come straight here and get to spend more time with Hades.
    “Congratulations, your training is done.” Hades says as he walks away after I finally master how to fly and realize that I can only fly when I’m over water.
    “What’s wrong Hades?” I say in reply
    “You’re done, you can leave now” He says as I just stare at him with a blank emotion as he walks out the door.I wonder what his problem is? As soon as he leaves I head over to my chambers and pack my stuff when Jenna and Elliotts soul come in.
    “So you’re leaving?” Asks Grandma Jenna
    “Yeah, Hades told me to go” I say in reply
    “You know he probably is mad that you finished because except for me, no one seems to like him”
    “Well he seems pretty cool to me”
    “Thats why he sounded mean when he told you to go because he’s actually sad that you’re leaving because he’s taking a liking to you”
Well that would make sense because I was hanging out with him all the time and we’re technically related.
I guess that Hades can have a sensitive side for being the lord of the underworld. I can’t change my mind now because I have to go save my dad and I’m pretty sure that dad has never met Hades because of how the gods just vanish after the child is born and he only knows that Hades is his dad because of his mom telling him so. Now it’s time to go but I’ll leave a slip of paper on my bed to tell him that I’ll be back to get Elliott and have my dad meet him for the first time.
    “Time to go” I whisper to myself as soon as I walk out the door of the underworld putting my shades on, “Time to go help out dad.”

Walking to the harbor is the easiest part of this whole operation so I then walk down to the harbor and realize every time that I tried to face Hades and he turned into the demon that my dad was supposed to be, he got bigger each time. So does that mean that every time that my dad drinks alcohol that he gets bigger? Lets see, my dad turned into this on the 3rd of march and we set out on the 5th of march; what’s todays date?
    “Excuse me sir whats todays date?” I ask the next person that passes by me.
    He replies “Its the 14th of July”
14th OF JULY!!!! THATS 5 WHOLE MONTHS! I really need to start heading home. I then rush down to the harbor and get ready for lift-off when Uncle Dimitri shows up and asks If I need a lift that would get me across the country a-lot faster and I agreed. He then whistles and a flying nimbus just like in the show dragon ball z comes down and takes me off of my feet and Uncle Dimitri’s also. We then zoom off as Uncle Dimitri tells me that we’re not heading back to my little house on a little island, my dads in new york on top of the empire state building drinking liquor and he’s getting really big; almost elephant size at the most. I really hope this training and this flower works.
    We started to get into the air when Dimitri says that according to the Nimbus that we should be arriving in New York by tomorrow morning. After a while  on the Nimbus I start to get comfy because its a cloud and clouds are comfy so I start to drowse and tell myself that if I’m going to fight this new version of my dad that I’m going to need as much rest as i can.
As soon as I woke up I felt rain and realized that we were in the middle of a storm when I see Dimitri.He looks like he’s controlling Nimbus through the storm which makes no sense because Nimbus is a cloud. But then we finally get through that storm when I see how tired Dimitri is and that’s when I told him that he should get some sleep and since Nimbus is pretty much auto piloted so how hard can it be.
    We may have a problem because Dimitri is asleep and Nimbus seems to be fading also but clouds don’t sleep; I think Nimbus may be dying. When I try to wake up Dimitri we seem to be going into a downward spiral towards the ground when he wakes up. As soon as Dimitri wakes up and realizes that we are down spiraling he hops to the front of the cloud and tries to control the cloud but it doesn’t seem to be working when he tells me…
    “We’re going to have to crash land” he says as he diverts our course from hitting a skyscraper and we land in a type of Junkyard and that’s all I remember before blacking out.
    When I wake up all I smell is a smell that I just can’t stand, Alcohol and I get up to see where that smell is coming from when I see a tremendous amount of lights and girls wearing little clothes. I know where I am; we’ve crash landed in Vegas, A place i despise. Now I have to go find Dimitri and ask him what to do but where could he be and thats when I see another human body with a rod sticking through the body and I can’t believe that this is happening.
I then rush over to his body and see that the rod has gone through his chest, probably puncturing the left lung.
His eyes look just like Elliott’s when Elliott died, blank, confused, and shocked at the same time. Now what am I supposed to do I think as I look up and over the heap of garbage that my uncle is on is an abandoned crop-dusting airfield.
Then the thought occurs to me that we were flying before, what’s the difference from a plane and a Nimbus besides the size and weight; how hard can flying a plane be if I know how to fly a Nimbus? Let me think, if i want to fly a plane it will probably take the same amount of time as the Nimbus but some things I’m going to need...Food, Water, clean clothes and the keys (duh) and the manual; just to be safe.
As soon as I get over there I find a fridge full of cup of noodles and water with a pair of pants and a tanktop with the keys and a manual on the pants and tanktop. Well that seemed pretty easy now I just got to get to New York, save my dad, have my brother revived, and then everything will be a-lot better.
    As soon as I put the key into the ignition the radio blares on and suddenly I hear my name and the radio is saying
    “Go save your Dad, I’ll take care of my son Dimitri and I’ll set a straight line that you can follow for the fastest way to New York. Good luck James, Sincerely Zeus.” Says the radio as a straight line of green passes my path and I’m guessing thats where I have to go. As I look over to see Dimitri’s body for the last time I see a very tall, strong looking man standing over him wearing a toga when this man turns around and points towards the sky pretty telling me to take off and I’m guessing that that’s Zeus.

Well I’m flying over New York now as I see that the green line is gone and then I see that there seems to be this horrendous thing on top of the empire state building. This thing seems to be huge and it looks ugly as ever then I realized that that was my dad. Now I understand what Hades and Dimitri meant with my dad being worse than he was when he first transformed.  This thing is weird and it reeks of alcohol all the way up here now I have to figure out a way to land, Know what I’ll just crash-land like we did back in Vegas but I’ll jump out before the plane crashes so I can survive and take care of this ugly demon-type picture that my Dad became because of alcohol and the curse Hades put on him. Okay theres an abandoned airfield near the building, now I just got to get close and jump but timing is going to have to be essential to whatever comes next so I don’t end up dying trying to fix my dad for the sake of him; I’m not just doing this for my dad, I’m doing it for me, Hades, Elliott, and Dimitri.
    “Okay time to Jump in 3..2..1..NOW!”I say to myself as I get closer to the airfield near the building.After deciding the right moment, I decided to Jump in the air instead of having to get closer because I found a parachute when I was grabbing my stuff. When I jump I try to pull the strings as fast as I can but it’s jammed so I need a way out of this or I’m going to die. Well impact is going to be a little rough but when I get closer to the ground I brace for impact but I don’t feel anything. When I reopen my eyes  I see that I’m inches above the ground and that the grass near me is burning and that’s when I look at my hands. i’m actually flying, I guess that hating death by air helped me to stay afloat in the air with this fire shooting out of my hands. Now that I’m alive and flying I don’t have to worry about taking the elevator towards the top of the building; I can just fly to the top and save some time so my dad doesn’t get any bigger than he already is. Now I just have to get used to steering and I hope that the mist that covered pretty much everything that can relate to the gods works for anyone seeing me flying.

Phew! No-one saw me or pointed me out on the way up here, I only hit a couple of buildings so that’s pretty good for a beginner. As soon as I get to the top I see the demonic creature that my Dad has become from drinking yet he is still drinking. When I see this, I get so enraged that out of idiocracy, I decide to throw a fireball at his back to get his attention. It hits him right on target and he turns around to realize that I’m there and charges at me. He then hits me which catches me off-guard and knocks me down and I see that even though he just attacked me, my Dad is still in there.
I then get up slowly and look him in his eyes and see sincere shamefulness from him that he didn’t mean to do that and that the demon that he’s turned into did that. So I need to get to a higher place where he can’t reach me and concentrate hard enough to create a large enough fireball to hit him hard enough with the powder dust. So I realize that if he gets up on the pole at the top of the building like in that movie “King Kong”™  and I’m just a little higher than him to the point where he can’t reach me, I’ll have a perfect shot to save him. I then start to ascend into the air and everythings going well until I see that he has wings and he can fly also so I’m going to have to move and concentrate at the same time( UGGHH MULTI-TASKING) but that’s the only way I’ll get a clear shot to have the powder turn him back.
Now as I fly around I realize that I’m going to probably fall after I release all of this energy so I have to make sure that I’m not going  to fall on anything sharp. As I start moving around I see that my dad is faster than I thought and I’m going to find a place where he can’t reach me but I can still manage to get him back to normal. And that’s when I see a construction yard where I can lure him into a metal trap. As I race over to the spot where I was to lure him, I put the powder dust firmly in my hand and start to concentrate.
I started thinking really hard about everything and this whole journey and how it has affected me and before you know it; I have the most tremendous ball of fire in front of me as I get closer to the place where my dad was to be engulfed in flames. 3, 2, 1, Get out of the way of the metal I think to myself as I pull away from the metal that was supposed to hold my Dad as he doesn’t stop and goes barreling into the metal that I planned for him to go into as he trapped behind a series of metal wires and poles.
He starts struggling to try to get out of his entrapment  and I can see that these wires won’t hold forever so I’m going to have to get this done quickly. I then float down in front of where he was and concentrate as hard as I ever could have imagined and as soon as I feel that I have a big enough attack I look into my Dads eyes and apologize.
    “I’m sorry dad, it’s for your own good” I say as I feel a tear come down my face as I release all of my energy into this attack and as soon as I let go I feel myself fall to the floor not knowing if this worked or if I have failed everyone; mainly my dad, Hades and everyone else I know.

The first thing that I remember that happened is waking up back in the room I stayed in when I was in the underworld. I then see Hades hovering over my bed like he wanted to be there  for me when I woke up. He then looks at me with a sincere smile and  tells me that I have finished my journey to save my dad.
Hades then enlightened me that my dad was wandering around somewhere in the house and he also told me that I was welcome to stay here with him until I feel the need to leave. Apparently he found me and my dad in that construction yard when he went to go talk to Zeus and get something for me.
    “Guess who’s back!!!!” I hear someone hollered from the hallway as I see my brother peer into my room. I guess Hades went to go get Elliott’s body. Best present ever!
    “I’m second that” says another voice as I see my Dad peer into my room also; I then get up from my bed to go run and hug him. We then stare at each other when he tells me that we’re going to be living down here for awhile.
    Now I may not be normal but that’s okay; Because I’m freaking AWESOME!!! Now everything is starting to turn up. I like my life, no regrets.