The Spy Princess | Teen Ink

The Spy Princess

Author's note:

Preferences

§

1

2

3

4

5

6

7

8

9

0

-

=

Backspace

Tab

q

w

e

r

t

y

u

i

o

p

[

]

Return

capslock

a

s

d

f

g

h

j

k

l

;

'

shift

`

z

x

c

v

b

n

m

,

.

/

shift

English

alt

alt

Preferences

I started shout so loud that all my closest servants came into my room. I wanted to scream out loud, “I hate my life!" but I couldn't because my career would be ruined. Everyone would post rumors everywhere and I would either end up on the streets or with my drunk uncle in Hawaii. I end up saying that I wasn't feeling well even though I'm clearly not sick. Everyone told me to take care and then they left.
I start to change out of my clothes into my black jumpsuit or "ninja wear" according to my adorable little cousin, Janie. Only she knows about it and she said she won't tell anyone. I trust her because she's in her mature thirteen age.
When I reach the roof of the palace, I find the cellphone line and grab it. I glide all the way till the top of my best friend's house. My best friend, Rosie, was waiting on the terrace for me.
"How is it going?" I ask with a gentle hug.
"Not well. My dad signed me up for the spy course all the way in Mandalay Training Camp." Rosie said with a frown.
"Well, I would join you, but everyone would treat me terribly."
"Well, you could change yourself.” she asked.
"So you're saying I should be under an alias if I go."
"Exactly! So be ready two days that is when we are leaving. Got it."
"Got it! Bye!" I grab the cellphone line and start climbing back to palace roof. Once, I get off the cellphone I turn around where Janie is standing waiting and then hugs me. We start to walk toward my bedroom. I look happy then I start to worry about the fake identity I’m going to be under. How am I going to get a mask or makeover done in two days? I thought. I then remember when it was Janie’s grand party for her finishing all her education classes earlier than average. She wore makeup so beautifully that no one even knew that she wasn’t one of the princesses. I’ll just ask her, and tell her my plans, about giving me a mask. I thought with a happy face. I should also ask her to teach me so I can do it on my own. We walked inside my room and Janie jumped on my bed while I closed the door.
“Hey Janie, could you do me a huge favor?” I ask politely with a sense of her helping.
“Of course. What do you want me to do?”
“Could you give me a huge makeover and completely change my face but still make me look gorgeous?” I ask with a little giggle after.
“Okay, but I won’t be able change it so much. You will still see some of original face on it. Why do you want to change? You look fine and then no one would be able to tell that you are a princess.”
“No, that’s not what the makeover is for. This the real reason why. Do not, I repeat, do not tell this to anyone. Not even your parents or your best friends.” Then, I tell her. I didn’t tell her that I had always wanted to become a spy because she knew that by my constant repeat of “I want to be a spy, not a princess!” Then I would growl and hit my pillows. Janie would burst of laughter and I would start laughing, too. I tell Janie of how Rosie and I are going to the training camp in Mandalay. I tell her about a spy course I want to take and then Janie understands.
“That’s not the only favor I want to give you. I also need you to teach me how to do the ‘change’.”
“Okay. I have an idea. If you are going two days from now I would start packing now.”
“Thank you, thank you, thank you Janie!” I said that so fast with a quick hug and run to get my suitcase.

Rosie and I went on the five hour plane that we both ended up sleeping like mental people. Some people actually took pictures of us when we were sleeping. When we woke up, many people were staring and laughing at us. Rosie and I exchanged looks then bursted out laughing with the other people in the plane.
When we finally got off the plane, Rosie went to go look for the transportation we ordered to go to the Spy Agency Course Academy while I look for some restaurant to order some to-go food to eat in the car. I found a fancy bread and sauce restaurant, or the name The Bread and the Sauce, but it looked exactly like pizza. I was very confused, but I bought two slices and two cups of tea. 
I found Rosie with our bags waiting with a person I didn’t know. He was wearing a suit with black gloves. I started to wonder if he knew who I was, Princess Kristen or Linda Lane (my fake name). I walk a little too slow with a puzzled look. I asked Rosie who he was and she said that he was our driver to take us to the hotel. His name was Theo. He greeted me and then walked to car, opened the door, kept our luggage in the rear of the car, then sat in the driver’s seat.
Once we got to the hotel, Rosie and I took showers and watched T.V. After a few minutes of switching between channels, we closed the T.V. and took a thirty minute nap. We woke up and went outside to window shop and have some fun. Then we came back to the hotel tired and slept like babies.
  The next day we went to the headquarters of the academy. It was a long ride, but once we got out, we were freshened up. Two officials of the academy came to greet us.
“Hello future spies, I am Agent B and he is Agent L. We are going to teach you for the next the couple weeks. Let’s go inside now.” I looked at Rosie. She could tell from my face that I’m saying ‘We’re going in!’
We first had to go through security check-in. I was worried if they could find out who I really was. I would be in big trouble and I would go in prison. To make sure the chances were low, Rosie went first. All the machines were fine except one. This last one erases your fingerprints, but identifies your name, then erases it. The agents were also with us so I was really worried. When it was my turn, I was so scared. I slowly walked in the room. I sort of covered the screen with my body so no one could see the name. Then my name came up: Kristen Lichen. It was loading then it erased all the way to, Welcome Agent L. Thank god! I thought.
I came out and smiled at Rosie. She smiled back. It worked. I tried to tell her through my mind to her mind. The agents then showed us the entire campus. The gym, make up center, and the study hall were all in the academy.
“Agent L and Agent R, are you ready to start your spy course?” Rosie and I looked at each other and shouted ‘Yes!’

The next few training weeks were only a little tough for Rosie, but I did them easily. We passed the writing tests, the exercise test, and the hiding test on the first try. We were ready for our first mission. The Agents led us to the mission headquarters. These headquarters show the missions that need to be solved. Since we were much ahead of others, we didn’t start at the first level. We started at level 2D. The mission was to catch a robber that was stealing diamonds from different states. We saw the map the different places that the robber was stealing. So far we saw that the robber was stealing in an 8 shape. There was only spot to find him, near the headquarters at probably two p.m. the next day.
“The day has arrived.” I told Rosie. “Time for our first mission” We went to the headquarters four hours earlier. We got the weapons we needed, the clothes we needed, and brought our maps. According to our maps, the thief should be a few miles from the headquarters and on top of the nearest diamond store. We contacted the store already, so they gave us the keys. We opened got inside, called the police, went inside, and then closed the door. We got ready and our estimations were right. The thief came inside was about to break the glass with the diamonds, but I got his hands and put it in handcuffs. Rosie let him outside with me holding the door open. We put the store keys on him and walked away so the police could return the keys to the store owner. We then got it the car assigned for us and went back to the headquarters. Agent B was standing outside when we got out of the car.
“Congratulations, Agent L and Agent R. You have passed level 2D. Now it is time for your individual assignments. We will tell you them separately. Do not discuss them with each other.” He started to mumble If you do, it’s alright. I understood it, but Rosie couldn’t. I will tell her later. I thought. Agent D also came outside and led Rosie inside. “Now your turn, Agent L.” I followed Agent B inside to another mission headquarter.
“According to our accounts, a princess went missing last month.” He then showed me the news. Don’t say Princess Kristen, don’t say Princess Kristen, don’t say Princess Kristin! I pleaded in my head, but Agent B had said something that sounded like a bomb in my head.“Princess Kristen Lichen of the Garden Islands was the name. Even though this is a level 5A, you can still find this young princess. The weird thing is no left a mark to show the possible solutions. It might take you months but it is critical if you want to stay in this career.” He left the room with me alone with my own missing princess side. I fell inside the chair. I was about to faint. How am I going to solve this? I thought with a sigh.

I’m in my hotel room with a lot of tension. I tried to write ideas solutions crossing one after another, when Rosie comes in the hotel room. She noticed the tension on my face and the bunch of crumbled paper on the floor.
“What’s going on? Is it your mission? What is it and what level is it?”
“Yes, it’s the mission. It is a level 5A and-”
“Level 5A! Wow, that means you are great at the job. Go on. What is it about?”
“It’s about… about… finding Princess Kristen!” I start to tear and whine. Rosie hugs me really hard. “Should I just tell them?” I ask Rosie.
“No. You will go to prison. We’ll both think of an idea. Wait, I’m getting an idea.”
“Really! What?” I ask desperately. I stand on the bed.
“Maybe… we could…this might sound bad… let’s kill Princess Kristen. It’s the only possible way.”
“You want me to die? What happened to our friendship? You think killing me is worse than jail, alive?”
“No. We will ‘kill’ Princess Kristen, but keep Linda Lane. Do you get the picture?” I start to think about it. Kill Princess Kristen, but keep Linda Lane. So I will ‘kill’ my past, but keep my future. I thought.
“That’s amazing! Thank you!” I hug her and then we cheer like little kids.
The next day came; we didn’t have to go to the headquarters today. Instead of shopping, we started to plan my mission to ‘kill’ Princess Kristen. We decided to go back to Garden Island still in disguise, meet Janie, the spread my blood on the floor when no one is looking. Then I will drop some of my blood near the ocean so I could say that Princess Kristen drowned. I book the tickets for day after tomorrow where I have a week off.
We went to the mission headquarters and went to look at the map. I told Agent B that I already told Rosie about my mission because I was very tense and she can help me with my case. He said it was okay since it is my first real mission that is at a very high level. I also suggested to Agent B that some evidence will be at Garden Island so we should go and study any evidence, from fingerprints to blood. He agreed and let me and Rosie go for the week.
When we came back to our old home, we first decided to meet Janie secretly. Rosie went inside the palace while I was hiding outside. Rosie came out a few minutes later with Janie, all happy and still adorable.
“Janie! How are you?” I ask with a hug.
“I’m fine. You actually came and visited! How is it like being a spy?”
“It’s great. We didn’t actually come here to visit. We came because I was assigned to find the missing Princess Kristen. So Rosie suggested ‘killing’ Princess Kristen, but keeping Linda Lane, me, alive. So we are here to spread some of my blood so it looks like Princess Kristen drowned in the ocean. Don’t tell anyone about my plans, please?”
“Of course, I won’t. That is smart. I can show you the best spots.”
“Thanks, Janie, but I don’t think your parents will really be happy with you hanging near a ‘stranger’ and Rosie.” I told her with a frown. None of my family knows who I am. I keep thinking. Janie tells us the spots and we hug again while Janie goes back in the palace. We quickly go to the spots and spread a little blood. Then last of all, we go and spread a little bit of blood in the ocean and a little on the sand. We cover it with a little sand to show time has passed since Princess Kristen ‘died.’ Then we go back to the spots and collect the rocks with the dried blood and take pictures of each of them.
We reach again in Mandalay and we were really tired. We sleep till next day comes. We take the camera and the blood samples to the headquarters. They studied it very carefully.
“Are you sure this is Princess Kristen Lichen’s blood?” One of the scientists ask.
“Well it was the only clue we could find. There wasn’t much blood spill in Garden Island.” I nervously answer. Will she take the idea that the princess is dead? Please this is my only chance. I pleaded in my head.
“Well you are correct. There is no other explanation. Princess Kristen drowned in the ocean.” The scientists said sadly. “You solved another case faster than anyone else. You are the best spy here. Congratulations.”
“Thank you.” I was happy. I am done with being a princess. No one knows and I am fine. This is great. I can’t believe it.
I was awarded best spy. Rosie and I had a celebration and we were glad. We were officially spies. I am the only spy princess.