The Legend of Merynn | Teen Ink

The Legend of Merynn

September 9, 2014
By Anonymous

Author's note:

It was just a narrative to be graded and much smaller. Our teacher thought it could be bigger...and, it did. I hope people have a nice time reading it and enjoy every bit. 

 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences

The author's comments:

not needed if it is published, but would be a nice thought to have it there!

Dedication:

 

This book is dedicated to all people who helped out.

We strongly appreciate all the editors and even just people who commented.

This book is especially directed to our mentors throughout the years, whether that be teachers, parents, or siblings.

Most of all, this book goes to our teachers, who gave us not only time to write, but pointers and tips.


 

Thank you everyone!

 

Beware of the Demon,

born from an egg,

cursed to hatch,

when the first human hands touch,

The Sword of Darkness.

 

Beware of Darkness:

for it brings fire

Beware of fire:

for it brings death

Beware of death:

for it is caused by you




 

Prologue:

Two Discoveries

 

 

Autumn in Aeroshof,

Northern Albagron. Sweat poured off of Merynn’s brow as he pounded away relentlessly at a piece of half-molten metal. He set down the hammer momentarily on the scratched, oakwood countertop and caught his breath, heaving in exumptuous amounts of air.

He was working away in Drake’s forge in the small village of Aeroshof. The bellows were making everything around him glow a bright orange light. Hooks protruded from the wall at intervals with tongs, hammers, pokers, chisels and the odd piece of metal hanging off of them.

"Merynn I am going to tend to Healer Belinda's flowers I will be back when you are done with work!" Said Merynn's sister Gretchen in her high pitched voice.

           Merynn took a pair of tongs off of the rack and opened the door to the forge. He reached in and took out a long, slender piece of metal. He began hammering and shaping the metal into the slim form of a sword. When Merynn was done hammering, he took the piece of steel into a bucket of cool water. Instantaneously, steam flowed off of the surface of the water. He let it sit there for a bit. Then, he put his callused hands into the water and took it out. Merynn laid it on the counter and smiled at his craftsmanship. The sword needed to be filed and sharpened with a whetstone and then it could be sold into the dwarf and human army to slay their enemies, the elves.

The three races have been at war with each other for 100 years now.  Thousands have been slain. The elves were dying off at an impressive rate. Yet, somehow, they were pushing the dwarves and humans into the mountains of the east, where the castle of Smothbane, the king of the dwarves, lay.

Merynn dreamed of becoming a soldier in the army someday. He fantasized about the shining armor and glory of hacking down his enemies in the forefront of battle. No one paid any attention to him now, but one day, one day. Yet, the attention he would receive did not come for what he expected.

Drake slid into the shop. His grace and smoothness of the way he did things simply amazed Merynn. Merynn was very reverent of him. He looked down at the sword and frowned. “There’s a bend at the top. Fix it.”

Merynn’s smile fell at the disapproval. Squinting, Merynn peered down at the tip of the sword. Sure enough there was a bend, it was almost unnoticeable. Drake was a hard teacher but his craftsmanship was unfathomable. Merynn was Drake’s apprentice. Drake was tall with smooth, short, black hair that rarely showed because he always wore a thick woolen hat. He also hid his slim frame in a thick, burly, woolen coat. Merynn, in comparison was just about the same. He was tall with short, brown hair, broad shouldered and was heavily muscled. Today was his 18th birthday.  Today, he was eligible to enlist in the army.

Drake turned to face Merynn “I’m going to leave for the rest of the hour. I will be back soon. Oh, and, by the way, happy birthday. If anyone walks into the shop, do not talk to them. Leave immediately! You know the rules while I’m gone: Do not go into my room upstairs, do not venture anywhere else in the house other than where you are now, and the most important rule, do not look into my wardrobe. Farewell! Happy birthday, my only and most-favored apprentice!”

Something about his words left a chill running down Merynn’s spine. He shook it off and walked over to the rack of files and started on the sword.

After the better part of an hour curiosity got the better of him. Merynn groaned inwardly. He shouldn’t be doing this. He should not be doing this! Drake would be very disappointed; maybe he would even discontinue Merynn’s apprenticeship! Merynn crept up the stairs quietly and walked into Drake’s room, careful not to bump anything out of place..

Even though Drake was not there, he still thought that he felt a pair of creeping eyes watching his every move.

“Now, time to find that wardrobe,” Merynn muttered to himself. He found it without hardship. He opened it and what he found astonished him. Clothes; as anyone would have in a wardrobe, and a sword! It looked inhuman it was so thin. He looked it over with his eyes for he was afraid of ruining its beauty if he touched it.

It was a hand-and-a-half sword, slim, and the metal itself was a deep, iridescent red and black with lines of shimmering grey down the middle and sides. It had small incomprehensible engravings down the hilt and sheath -- the sheath sat on its side on the bottom of the wardrobe. It’s blade glowed on and off like a heartbeat. .

Finally, he decided to lift it up. As his hands met the fine leather of the handle, a jolt of energy erupted around the room, coursing through Merynn’s body. The engravings glowed with a stunningly white color. The sword burst into flame, which was quickly blown out by an abrupt gale, even though the window wasn’t open. Then a blizzard of snow materialized out of the sword, dropping the room below freezing and encasing the desk in a smooth block of ice. Merynn’s ears buzzed as he stumbled out of the room, practically falling down the stairs. He ran outside just as Drake was walking up the steps.

“You were in my wardrobe, weren’t you?!” He exclaimed as his face blanched.

“Ummm.....” Merynn responded in a small voice, “Yes....?”

“Congratulations!” Drake yelled, laughing.

“Wh...Wh...What!?” Merynn queried.

“You passed the test!! Go get the sword!”

“But... It almost killed me!”

“What?!” Drake impunged.

Merynn went into great length explaining the occurrences of the previous hour.

“Show me,” Drake said, his expression dark. They went upstairs. Drake opened the wardrobe. Merynn leaned down and pricked the sword’s hilt with his finger. Nothing happened.

“Come watch me!” Merynn exclaimed indignantly.

So Merynn took the sword and went outside and stood between the four training dummies. Merynn readied and took a hack at the first’s shoulder. The dummy burst into flame. He spun and stabbed the second in the knee, and a sheet of ice rapidly encased it. The third he waved his sword at, and missed, but a gale-force wind hit the dummy, severing it from its post and flinging it across the yard into the fields of wheat, which were ready to be threshed. He turned to the final dummy, danced away from an imaginary sword blow and, almost instinctively, pointed his blade at the dummy, a single bolt of lightning arced from the sky and collided with it, flinging it back and lighting it on fire. Drake stood there, frozen in place.

“Come quickly,” he urged, and ran off.

Merynn followed at a brisk pace, Drake several meters in front of him. Drake led him to the edge of the village and waited impatiently for Merynn to catch up. Merynn led him down the bramble ridden hill to the edge of the forest, close to the Cralna River -- the river that rushed very close to the village and collided into the much larger, Ralqua River, which ran all the way to the south towards the deepest lake in Albagron named Zephyr.

Silently, Drake picked away at an area of land to reveal a tiny dug-out cave. He dropped in and beckoned for Merynn to follow. Merynn did so without saying any words -- despite the swell of questions bouncing around in his head -- and looked around at the inside. The interior was very small; so they had to crouch. There was only one item inside. A simple, wooden chest, inscribed was Merynn’s name.

“May I open it?” asked Merynn hesitantly with his hand tentatively outreached towards the chest.

Drake did not answer but instead said, “It seems that I have a lot of explaining to do,” he continued. “That sword you are holding is the oldest sword known to Albagron. It has had many owners over the millennia. Your family has passed down that sword to their sons and daughters on their 18th birthday many times.

“Now seeing as how your parents have died, I am your guardian. The sword is now yours. Have you ever wondered why your parents have died?”

Merynn pondered the question for several moments before answering. The truth was, he never really asked why his parents died. The villagers of Aeroshof have just said that his parents’ house burnt down with them inside. No one has ever told him where the house was. He then answered, “Yes.”

Drake replied, “Those fiends Garyn and Smothbane murdered them with their own hands. They tried countless times to find the sword. With the sword they could prevail over the elves and all would be lost.” he paused then said, “You may now open the chest.”

Merynn crept towards the rectangular box of wood. He opened it, its contents spilled out on the floor and he saw odd little trinkets and talismans, and...

“A scroll? What kind of cruel joke is this?!” Merynn exclaimed.

“Read it!” Drake erupted, suddenly growing angry.

“Okay, okay...” Merynn trailed off as he unrolled the ancient parchment. It was written in some lost language. “What does it say?”

“Thats the whole point, lad! Pack your bags. We’re going on an adventure!”

On the last word, the cave’s roof in front of them gave out, a wiry elven mage falling through.

“By the Mighty Divines!” Drake exclaimed.

“Why hello! My name is Sindil,” the mage said. “I’m an elf. Oh, by the way, did someone say adventure?”

“YOU ARE NOT COMING WITH US!” Drake bellowed.

“Wait,” Merynn reasoned, “His skills may be of use.”

“Why, of course they will!” The elf said, bowing deeply. Beside him, two columns of flame burst upward, burning Merynn’s eyebrows off. “Whoops. My pyrotechnics sometimes get a little... out of control.”

“Right then!” Merynn exclaimed, “It’s time for an adventure!”

“But where to?”

“To the capital of the Elves, to the ancient forests of my predecessors, Elzemessa.” replied Drake in a low whisper. Is he alluding to something? Merynn thought, but the answer eluded him.


 

Chapter One:

The Beginning to an Adventure

 

The sound of the horses’ hooves echoed off the sides of the mighty canyon. The three horses and their riders wound down the narrow dirt path. It was often that the horses’ hooves slipped on the loose gravel, almost knocking the precariously balanced riders from their perch.

As they reached the bottom of the path, a band of four belligerent-looking bandits confronted them.

“Hail companions!” cried Drake as they drew nearer. “Please give us admittance through this region.”

“You must pay to get through,” replied the bandit who appeared to be the leader of the group, his voice sounding as though his throat had been slashed open only to be sewed closed again.

“Ah. I see. You must need money for raising your child,” Drake announced. “In coins and gems we lack. But, we journey to the land of the elves! We are able to put in a good word about your small convoy, and on our return trip, we will pay you will the finest gold in the land. How does that sound, my friend?”

“Good,” the bandit mumbled, looking among the members of his group. “You may pass.”

“Good will upon you,” Drake acknowledged, riding past. Then, so only Merynn and Sindil could hear, “No talking. Ride silently.”

As they continued, the bandits they had encountered snuck up behind them. No sooner than they leapt upon the group had Drake shot one through the throat with an arrow, Sindil engulfing another in flames, and Drake incapacitating one with a dagger which he drew quickly from the burlap folds of his shawl. The last one stopped, turned, and attempted to scamper off but not after Sindil had drawn a dagger from his horse’s saddlebags and thrown it, embedded it in the small of the bandit’s back. Drake let out a mournful sigh and the carried on with their journey.

“Why did you do that?!” Merynn exclaimed throwing his hands up in fury.

“He was going to get his ‘friends’,” explained Sindil of the bandit who had tried to escape. “Then we would be dead for sure. And we can’t have that happening, can we?”

“But he was helpless!” cried Merynn.

“Based on that theorem, we are helpless too. Because according to you, helpless apparently means: having a weapon and friends that are happy to kill.”

“Well, either way, I guess they didn’t get any ‘good will’” Sindil said.

“Agreed,” said Merynn and Drake together.

“A shame we had to kill them though. I thought I saw opportunity in one of them,” said Sindil as they trio rode along slowly.

“No. I don’t think so,” replied Merynn.

“Well, we may as well continue instead of arguing about matters such as these,” urged a flustered Drake.

Merynn returned to his steed and was silent until nightfall when the trio was sitting around the warm embrace of a low, newly-built fire, above which their stew was slowly cooking. The smell creating a tantalizing feeling upon the groups’ noses.

“Merynn, have you been experiencing any, feelings in you? Like a stirring in your chest and head, an itch?” Drake asked out of nowhere.

Merynn responded suddenly feeling very awkward in his body, “Uh, Yes, I’ve also been hearing little whispers in my head telling me what to do. They crave blood and gore. They have become quite annoying.” Merynn proclaimed.

Drake answered in a satisfied tone. “Good, that will take off a good month of your training unless you choose to ignore the voices. That whisper that you’ve been hearing. It is your sword.”

“How can my sword speak,” Merynn queried, exasperated.

“It isn’t the sword,” explained Drake. “It is the conscience trapped inside. And that is why we are taking this journey. It is the sword of the ancient deity of madness and destruction. Given the chance, he will rise again and destroy us all. Obviously, we can’t let that happen. And your evil uncle, Rindor, is the only one who knows how to destroy the sword. And being the insane, troubled man that he is, he thinks that if he can release the spirit from the sword, he will control it. But as we know, no one can control the deity of destruction. Coincidentally, he is also the only man who knows how to decode the scroll you received. I believe that it may have something to do with the sword”

Sindil had been quiet the whole time. “So we will probably have to beat the answer out of him,” Sindil said, a little too cheerfully.

What an eccentric man! Thought Merynn.

“This sword,” Merynn started, “is it the only one of its kind?”

“No, the sword has brothers,” Drake began. “Your’s is Xojok. It means ruler in the elves’ tongue. Its brothers are Qu’tätyl and Wyntäq, meaning enforcer and judge. The final sword is called Kanoriek, the human sword. While the other four have only one elemental power, Xojok has all the powers of the other swords’ power. Yours is the most powerful. The kings, Garyn and Smothbane, have two out of the four of them. Rindor, your uncle, has the other. This is why they ascended to power so quickly, oppressed the nation with barbaric taxes and minimum wages, and enslaved and killed over half of the population.”

Everyone was silent for the moment until Sindil piped up and said, “Well everyone we should hit the sack, big day tomorrow.” He smiled and was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow.

Merynn slept in a fitful half-sleep. Violent dreams awoke him through the whole night: Bloodied bodies being pushed into carts and drove away to a distant, hazy horizon. A swell of unarmed people blasted and killed with one sweep of a sword by a haggard, one-eyed man.

The man looked back, as if to look directly into Merynn’s eyes, and laughed. A wicked, gut wrenching sound.

Merynn woke up at dawn, hyperventilating and sweaty. The grotesque images framed in his mind, crystal-clear to him. Merynn felt a stirring in his stomach and he ran quickly away from the camp and retched onto an unsuspecting tree. He felt relieved until another wave came upon him and he puked again onto the tree. The tree was now fully engrossed in Merynn’s pearl white vomit.

Merynn heard a little chuckle in his head and he suddenly got angry.

I put those images in your head. Said the voice.

What? Who are you? What are you doing in my thoughts?! Thought Merynn frantically.

I am Xojok. The Last Burning Ember, Ruler, Destroyer of Many, Darkness’  Hand… said Xojok. Merynn got bored as the sword named off many, and important-sounding titles. I put those images in your head because… Merynn was now fully alert, his eyes wide open. I wanted you to have a purpose on why you’re fighting, why you’re traversing this distance. I have found out, on many cases -- most of them being unfortunate ones that led to my demise -- that a man with willpower and a purpose is the most dangerous man in the world.

I need you to focus and clear your thoughts of prejudice about the elves right now and fight for the right cause. The humans have become corrupt and fighting with the wrong side.

I will. Said Merynn.

Suddenly, Merynn realized he was in a trance-like state and everyone was staring at him.

“Well, it seems as though you’ve found out how to communicate with Xojok there.” Said Drake. Merynn’s eyes drifted to the horses tied at a tree not far from them. Drake must’ve noticed because he exclaimed, “everyone on their horse. NOW!” He bellowed loud enough to make the birds fly off of their perch.

Sindil began speaking. “Today, we are making it to the capital of the elves,” Sindil paused for effect, “Ellzemessa.”

The elders of the group stared at the sky, longingly. Drake must be an elf! Merynn thought. The answer to Merynn’s thought appeared right before his eyes. The hat that always sat firmly atop Drake’s head was up an inch or so above his ear and Merynn saw the pointed tip of an ear.

All of this time Merynn thought that he was working with another of his own race but he was wrong! Everything that Merynn thought of the man -- no, elf -- seemed like a lie, brittle, about to break.  

The group continued down the road in silence, all of them contemplating something important.

The horizon was wiped out by a dense line of green. Just a line of trees! It was such a sudden change to the endless plains that Merynn thought that his eyes were playing tricks on him and this was all just a mirage. Merynn wiped his eyes just to be sure. It was still there.

The horses ran at full speed as the riders attempted to steer them back onto the well worn path. Then, just as sudden as the change from plains to forest was, they stopped. Just at the edge of the forest. Merynn, of course, with his bad luck flew several meters past his steed flat onto his face in a puddle of mud.

“Stop fooling around and get back onto your horse you foolish boy!” Yelled Drake.

He got back on, all in the process of vigorously slapping the dark brown liquid off. His face had a look of disgust painted across it, a face of slight amusement on the others’. Even the horses seemed to smile at Merynn’s bad karma.

They continued at a much slower pace now that they were in the dark confines of the forest. The canopy of the  deciduous forest loomed above them several thousand feet, refusing to let in any sunlight. The trio lit torches that burned just as bright as the sun and were just as harmful to the eye.

The path ended at a large tree. No, that was an understatement. The tree was as wide as Aeroshof was and twice as tall as the other trees. The hugeness of it suddenly making him feel very small, like a sardine swimming next to a whale. Now that Merynn took in the size of the tree, he could see other, smaller details. There were small little holes cut into the tree. Faces started appearing in the holes. Some at first, then thousands and thousands of them. All of them smiling and happy to see the group.

A whole three hundred feet of the tree opened up. The door was about sixty feet thick and took fifty people to open. A horde of, beautiful people came swelling out of the door. All of them looked different. There were people with gills and a fish for a head, yet somehow making it look good. Many had fur and looked more like animals than elves.

A lane parted in the mass. A woman, dressed in all white walked -- floated -- out of the tree. She was draped in a cloak of eagle and swan feathers. The eagle that the feathers came off of must’ve been albino because they were all white. A necklace of the most stunning pearls he had ever seen was hung around her neck. An all silk dress was worn by her. Her beauty made all of the other elves look like a pile of dung. A crown of diamonds and pearls was positioned in the exact center of her head. Her hair was bleach-blonde and hung in curls around her head like a crown itself. Her eyes glowed blue. She held an air of power about her.

Finally, she came to a stop by the trio’s horses. Her illustrious being washing over the men. The others bowed deeply to her. Merynn, not wanting to be embarrassed, did the same. She spoke. Her words a song of graceful notes, dancing softly from the players’ lips. “Welcome, to my city, Ellzemessa, It means mother tree in my peoples’ language. Or shall I say, welcome Merynn. Welcome back Drake, Sindil.” She gestured with her hand for them to get up. “Oh! How rude of me. I forgot to introduce myself. I am Queen Orrenella. The ruler of the elves, as it says in my title. Come inside, please.”

Merynn felt a sudden twinge of anxiety at what would be inside the tree. Would he be the only human there? He felt every pair of eyes in the tree’s courtyard -- if you wanted to call it that -- fall on him. The elves’ slanted eyes and joyous faces made it hard to process what they were thinking on the inside.

They were poked and prodded forward to the mass of the tree. It took longer than Merynn thought it was going to take to make it to the entrance of the tree. It was so large that it seemed as if he could just reach out and grab it. It was nightfall by the time they made it to the foot of the tree.

The door was still open and they saw the grandeur of the elves in full. The entrance itself was was gold leafed. The stairs leading to the thousands of upper floors were carved out of diamonds and sapphires. A chandelier made out of the purest of diamonds illuminated the whole room. Doors carved from the tree itself led in every direction. Merynn felt horrible to be in the rooms’ presence with his filth. Elves walked up and down the stairs. In and out of every door.

Most of the elves continued down one hallway in full battle armor and winding staffs of vine and gemstones. It was hard to imagine that the nation was at war with these creatures of peace and beauty.

They were met by a tall elf who offered to stable their horses. They were gracious and tipped the man heavily. They followed Queen Orrenella to an alcove that was much less pleasant than the ballroom. It was very plain with only one piece of furniture, a couch. She beckoned for everyone to grab on to her hand. “We are now going to be transported to the top floor where you will be living and you will receive your training, Merynn.”

She spoke some words in an unrecognizable language and one moment they were in the plain room and the next they were in a sort of throne room. A garden was flourishing in the room. every sort of flower Merynn can think of was positioned there. An all white diamond throne sat at the head of the room. The queen was sitting there.

“Merynn, has anyone told you why you are here?” Asked the queen quietly.

“No, in fact, I think I was forced to go here.” Replied Merynn.

“You are here because as soon as you laid a fingertip upon Xojok, you became an elf.” The last word resonated in Merynn’s eardrums for a full minute until he regained control of himself.

“I’m a-a-a what?”

“Really, its not that bad. Being an elf is rather fun. You get to speak to animals, hear conversations happening in the other room over, and be extremely agile, and fast, too.”

“But Xojok almost killed me!”

The elf laughed, a merry, singsong noise. “That is because the first time you touched it, you were human, so it rejected your spirit. The second time, since you had changed into an elf as soon as you touched the handle, you were able to control the power and use it to your benefit. Get it?”

“I guess so...”

The queen gasped. “How silly of me. Whenever a new elf comes to our realm, we feast!”

“The whole kingdom?” Merynn inquired.

“Yes, you silly boy! We elves don’t have many children. That is the reason why we are about to lose the war between the dwarves and humans and us. We cannot reproduce. An elf just appears before us one day and surprises us.” She sang, patting Merynn on the head.

 

As soon as the word was out, the elves came pouring into the city-tree. They ate and sang and laughed and drank. The festivities lasted all through the night. And as the elves were happy, so were the animals, plodding through the mass of tables as if they were mingling with their own herd. And, as the elves did not eat any meat, they were perfectly happy.

“Let me explain something to you,” Queen Orrenella said to Merynn as the party progressed. “Each elf is bonded to a specific animal. It mimics your personality. For example, I am bonded with a white elk, and Sindil is bonded with the wisest of the owls. Your... tutor, Drake, is bonded with a mighty wolf, the alpha in his pack. You see, Merynn, each elf has an animal they can speak with. They have a special bond. Like I would know if my elk was in trouble before it was, and my elk would know if I was in trouble before I really was. It is a cycle of repayment. Let us find what animal you should be bonded to,” and led Merynn off into the woods.

Several minutes later, they stood in front of an ancient tree, its leaves withered and its bark grey.

“O mighty one!” Orrenella cried out. “I as Queen, plead with a great sense of urgency, ask you once more to summon an animal for the boy who stands with me today. Merynn, elven boy, from the small village of Aeroshof, needs an animal to be at his side for his remaining days... I beg of you...” She stood. They waited. Suddenly, a small piece of the tree liquified and fell on the ground slowly. It then solidified on the pine needles and formed into a small, brown hedgehog! It looked up at Merynn with it’s big black eyes.

Hello!” exclaimed a high pitched, small voice from the back of his head. Surprising Merynn into falling over.

Hello,” Merynn said back through his mind. “What is your name?

I am called Bruno!”  It jabbered back, clambering quickly up his arm and perching itself on his head. It tickled an extraordinary amount and Merynn fell over laughing!

“What’s its name?!” Yelled the elves.

“He calls himself Bruno!” Yelled back Merynn.

The elves laughed together and called for yet another feast to be held in name of Bruno, the Hedgehog. Merynn, still full from the previous nights feast, could barely eat a single blueberry. But, he did, as not to dishonor his hedgehog and to embarrass the elves. He had to admit, he did not dislike the elves’ hospitality.

“Quiet, quiet, quiet…” it took a full minute for Queen Orrenella to quiet down the elves. For it was hard to settle them down while they were in the middle of a feast, giddy with joy. “Today, we celebrate Bruno and his companion, Merynn. Now a full elf! He will train here for several weeks. I ask of you not to disturb him while he is training. Hmmmmm... Well, I have nothing else to say! Let the feast commence!”

As if on cue, four long tables appeared before them -- in front of the Mother Tree -- although there was no food on them, only plates and silverware. The elves began to sit down. Merynn caught sight of Orrenella whom called him over to sit near her at the head of the table.

He walked over and sat down, Bruno on his shoulders. Immediately, thoughts of food and drink popped into his head. Juicy gobs of goose and duck; fatty portions of chicken and pig; succulent fruit. Merynn looked down at his plate and nearly passed out. His plate was filled with the food he thought about. His glass was full of raspberry wine. He dug in, devoid of any emotions except giddiness.

After he was done with his first portion, his plate filled again, and again, and again. Magic, Merynn thought, the wonders of it.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After the feast was over, Merynn was shown to his room. It seemed as though the physical of him had taken over the mental; for he had drank a tankard of the elves’ sweet grape wine. His vision was hazy and he was seeing double. Giddy with glee, he burped and laughed as he was under the influence of the alcohol.

The elf who had the burden of showing him to his room had a measurable amount of difficulty in doing so. He finally came up with the solution of using magic, to float him to his room through the air. Merynn was flown onto a bed made from the treated pelt of a werewolf. The sheets were made of silk and the curtains were yellow and let in the morning light quite well. Apart from the bed and a simple chest in which he stored his few belongings, there was no furniture and he took it that most elves were actually quite humble.

That night he dreamt -- not so much dreamt, but watched himself sleep -- of himself. The whole process was actually quite creepy. He learned the habits of his midnight slumber. I sleepwalk? Merynn thought. In fact, Merynn got up to sleepwalk more than once in the night.

He got up and grabbed Xojok and threw it at the wall. It bounced off harmlessly as if the walls were made of rubber. He then sheathed his sword and retreated to the asylum of sleep.

 

Merynn went back to bed after his embarrassment and slept the remainder of the morning. He was awoke quite furiously by an enraged Drake.

“You insolent, fool! Do you have any common sense?! How dare you sleep in when you were told quite well by the Queen of the city you are starting training now! This is your one and only warning. I swear if you do this again I will personally throw you out of this city and take pleasure in it!” Drake was out of breath by the time he was done screaming at Merynn for being such a fool with no common sense.

“Well…” Merynn started in a very quiet voice, but was unable to finish for Drake cut him off with a few words.

“Just come with me now. You don’t want to keep Sindil waiting. If you thought my temper was bad you should see his. He burnt his last recruit alive.” Drake said very matter-of-factly taking much pleasure in his words of wisdom.

Merynn struggled to keep pace with Drake as he slid down hidden corridors and through passageways and alcoves. He was out of breath and panting by the time he reached his final destination. It was a barren room, devoid of any furniture -- other than a table and two chairs. It was about a hundred yards by a hundred yards, less than a fraction of the trees’ actual size.

At the table sat Sindil, an amused expression on his face. He didn't seem to notice their arrival until Merynn made the mistake of touching his shoulder. As Merynn’s hand made contact with the smooth, watery fabric of Sindil’s shoulder, Merynn’s hand burst into flame! It was extinguished just as soon as it had started but the excruciating pain remained. Merynn’s hand was seared with the words: Let this be a reminder to you.
“Merynn, let this pain be a permanent reminder when you put the needs of your weary self before the needs of an entire race.” Sindil said without looking up.

Drake leaned in to Merynn’s ear and whispered, “I think he’s fond of you. He didn’t engulf your entire body in flames.”

From the folds of Sindil’s robe he took out a small black rock. Nothing about it was special. It was about the size of Merynn’s little finger and did not look like any kind of gemstone that he ever saw in Ellzemessa.

Sindil extended his arm towards him and Merynn took his hand and grasped the stone in his palm. Still, nothing was special about it. It was just a smooth, black stone.

“Move it.” Said Sindil calmly.

Merynn stood there, rooted in place, dumbfounded and baffled. It was such an easy task; moving a rock. So, Merynn pushed it along the oak-wood table.

“No! Not like that! With your mind, move it with your mind!” Yelled Sindil with irritation evident on his face.

Merynn sat down into the stiff chair and tried with all of his might to move the rock. He went to the deep recesses of his inner being to find the answer to move the small, black stone. He started sweating, the salty mixture pouring into his mouth. Finally, Merynn gave up. “I can’t do it. There is no human way that anyone can move that,” he gestured towards the stone, “with their mind.”

“Well, you aren’t entirely human now are you Merynn?” Sindil retorted.

Merynn grunted his agreement.

“Try using these words to help: sadyk liftis.” Said Sindil

Sadyk liftis.” Said Merynn. “Sadyk liftis! Sadyk liftis!” Yelled Merynn now highly frustrated that he couldn’t perform such a simple task of lifting a rock off of the table.

The process kept going until…”Sadyk liftis.” Merynn said for about the thousandth time that hour. But this time, the stone moved about a half centimeter off of the table. It stayed that way until Merynn was out of breath and very tired. Merynn even thought he saw a smile appear on the two elders in the room.

“We will continue tomorrow.” said Sindil.

Merynn had to have Drake carry him back to his room where he laid for an hour until he was slightly rejuvenated. Then, he crept out of his room and tried to navigate the vast tree. He somehow found out the way back to his room. There was a tray of fruit and salad sitting by the door with a note from Sindil: Be back tomorrow at the break of dawn. He would definitely oblige to that. Merynn did not want another punishment like the one he got today. It would probably be worse tomorrow too. He thought.

He picked up the tray and crept inside. He immediately leaped back, spilling the tray in the process. Sitting cross-legged on his bed was an elven girl. She was smiling at him. “Hello,” the girl said. “My name is Vanya.”

The girl -- Vanya -- was actually quite attractive. She had long brown hair that fell in curls around her back in an intricate pattern. She looked to be about Merynn’s age -- although she could be a century old from the elves’ immortality. Her eyes were a deep chocolate brown that captured his attention and immersed him into her. She was wearing a silk and leather tunic, and a cloth skirt that flowed to her ankles. She had on no shoes -- many elves did this in the city -- that left her feet exposed. They were small and very smooth looking.

Merynn stumbled on his words and tried to say hello, but it came out sounding like he gargled water in his throat too long. “He-l-hel-hello. My name is Merynn” He said quickly.

Vanya laughed, a high and beautiful sound that made him forget about all of the troubles around him. “Pleasure to meet you Merynn,” She replied.

“Ummmm... why are you here?” He asked cautiously.

“I am here to increase your might in a duel. Both melee and magical.” She said. It was just then that Merynn realized she had a very thin, gold and turquoise sword strapped to her waist. It’s sheath looked just like Xojok’s.

“Let me dull your sword. It would be folly to hack at each other with the sharp edges of our swords and die!” Merynn handed Vanya Xojok. “Berz”

In one fluid motion she stood up took and took out her sword from its sheath. She stood in the  normal duelers’ stance: sword out in front of her and her other hand on her hip.

Merynn quickly ran to the chest stationed by the bed and grabbed Xojok. He unsheathed the sword and adopted the same stance as Vanya.

They walked slowly around each other, their eyes locked on the others’. They each waited for the other to make the first move. Vanya lashed out with her sword and Merynn quickly parried the blow away. Merynn then lunged with Xojok at his opponents’ chest, but the elves’ superior speed and agility proved to be too much for the amatueur swordsman Merynn was. They then went at each other exchanging blows at light-speed.

Xojok was commanding him what to do. Duck, parry, swing, lunge, back off, punch, stab, commit and kill.

The sound of metal hitting metal carried across the room and out the                      door. A great number of spectators were standing at the door, cheering on their most favored champion.

Vanya did a quick twist, pulling out of the fight with Merynn. She jumped onto the bed and threw herself at Merynn. Her body crashed down onto Merynn knocking his sword out of his hand in the process.

“Dead.” She said. “You were good. Did you ever have any lessons or experience?”

“No.” said Merynn. “I never have.”

“Well, you’re pretty good with a blade. Do you ever have any free time? I can give you lessons.”

Merynn was ecstatic. Lessons with Vanya! Merynn thought. “I think that the end of the week would be a perfect time. Where shall we meet?”

“In the woods. Away from everyone else. Just stay here in the morning and I’ll have a servant come bring you to my room.”
“Goodbye Vanya, I shall see you on the morrow!” Merynn said. Disappointed that they had to part so soon. he watched her surreptitiously as she walked out the door.

“Goodbye Merynn, and me you. Oh and bring your sword too.”


 

Merynn awoke before the sun was up and ate some fruit that was left outside. He put on a fresh tunic and a pair of boots. Merynn grabbed Xojok and with little difficulty strapped it to his belt.

Now, Merynn thought, was the hard part. By memory he had to go to the training area where Sindil would be waiting. He started out of his room and immediately started in the wrong direction that led to a dead end. Sighing with frustration, Merynn speed-walked the direction he came from. He walked in the only other direction there was and was satisfied with his decision. He found the first alcove and walked into it. The rest was a breeze and Merynn was able to navigate the tree very well.

The giant mass of the training room was now being patrolled by two elven guards. “Identify yourself,” the first guard commanded, in his best commandeering, deep voice.

“I am Merynn Gregorsson,” said Merynn with authority in his voice. He was told by the villagers that his fathers name was Gregor.

The guard responded with a sheepish smile, “I am sorry. I should’ve known your face. You may pass.”

Merynn swept past the guards as they opened the door, grunting with exertion. Merynn returned to the room as he had left it the day before. Sindil was still sitting at the table but he welcomed him this time.

“Ah, Merynn, always a delight to see you. Well, this time anyways. You’re on time. Did you have any trouble getting here?” Sindil asked, an eyebrow raised.

“In the beginning yes. But otherwise, somehow, I remembered the whole way,” Merynn responded.

“Well, it seems that you also have enhanced memory that is good. Most elves actually don’t have that. You are very lucky,” Sindil said, slightly jealous.

“What are we going to do today?” Merynn queried.

“That is for me to know and you to find out,” Sindil said. He reached into the inner portions of his robe and took out the same stone that he had pulled out yesterday. “Let’s see if you have retained anything that you’ve learned yesterday,” Sindil said.

Merynn’s frustration must’ve shown because Sindil laughed a little bit at Merynn’s predicament.  

After a while, Bruno clambered out of his knapsack and onto the table.

Let me help! Buno called to him.

You can try... Merynn trailed off.

Sadyk lifits,” Merynn repeated for what must’ve been the hundred thousandth time. Suddenly he felt a rush of pure energy, pouring from Bruno. Merynn was surprised to see the amount of energy in the hedgehog, uncharacteristic of his tiny frame. To Merynn’s surprise, the rock lifted on command. It rose even higher this time, a foot maybe.

Pride enveloped Sindil’s face “Very good, it seems like you found your Gap. And you have also discovered the power of your little friend,” Sindil said trying very hard to contain his excitement. Meanwhile, Drake was grinning from the corner, and Bruno was bouncing in circles screaming: Yipee!!! Yipee!!!

“What’s a Gap?” Merynn asked perplexed.

“A Gap is where a magicians’ mind goes when he is performing magic. It is where the impossible is possible. You have found yours. On most elves that I have taught, it took them several months to find it, and even then, they could not lift the stone very far off of the table,” Sindil explained. “Are you tired this time around?”

“No,” Merynn said surprised. This time, performing the magic had only taken a little bit of energy off of his being.

“Good, lift it again. This time to the ceiling,” Sindil challenged.

“To the ceiling?! It would kill me before I got halfway!” Merynn exclaimed.

“Do you take me for a crackpot old fool?!” Sindil snapped as he rose out of his chair. His chair fell to the floor. “I would not give you a task that you could not fulfill and would, in the process of doing so, kill you! Now, lift the rock to the ceiling,” Sindil screamed, enraged. The chair that dropped was suddenly picked up by an unseen force.

Merynn breathed slowly, his eyes closed. “Sadyk liftis!” Merynn yelled. Bruno poured his energy into the rising of the stone, directly into the magic, instead of through Merynn. Controlling the stone on its ascent, he guided it to the ceiling, slowly. It wobbled on its way up and Merynn started to hyperventilate. Finally, it made it. Merynn let go of the magic and got out of the Gap. He was sweating profusely but a smile the size of the great tree he resided in was pasted on Merynn’s face.

“Good job. Eat this,” he handed him a yellow, gelatin-like, square, “it will give you your energy back,” Sindil said.

Merynn accepted it graciously and chewed on it methodically. “Thank you.” His energy levels were skyrocketing now. He took of a small bit and placed it on the table for Bruno, who gobbled it up, and began to dance around, seeming completely rejuvenated.

“Are you ready to learn some more?” Sindil asked.

“Well of course,” Merynn responded.

“We are going to start with basic, rudimentary forms of magic. It will warm up your mind and, over time, performing a spell will cost less of your energy. Much like exercising, think of it more as muscle memory,” Sindil explained. “Before we start anymore magic, are you familiar with reading and writing?”

Looking coy and sheepish, Merynn responded, “Drake never thought it was necessary. He only taught me numbers so no one could pay less money for what something was worth.”

“Well, before I teach you a brand new language, I should teach you the language that you and I are conversing in at this moment,” Sindil said annoyed. Sindil walked to a corner of the room to a portion of the wall that was dominated by bookshelves. Sindil examined a portion of the shelf and took out a large, thick, ancient-looking book. “This book is called ‘Learning Sovash’, the national language that we are using at this moment.

The excitement of the previous hour was washed away by things called letters and grammar. Silly things that Merynn thought were useless. Two days were were spent at that table until Merynn could fluently write, read, and spell. The next day was The end of the week and Merynn was looking forward to his sword lessons with Vanya. But, of course, Merynn was thrust a book that weighed a ton. He was told that he had to read the whole thing in the weekend. Reluctantly, he walked out of the room with the book in his arms.

He went to his room and threw the book on the bed. It left a dent there. He took off his day tunic and put on his night pajamas. He finally stopped procrastinating and picked up the book. Its title was ‘A history of Albagron: In Brief’. Interested to learn, he flipped the first page.

By nightfall he had to light a candle to read. He was in the center of the book when Merynn’s eyes refused to stay open any longer and his fingers trembled at holding the books’ mass.


 

Just as Vanya had promised, a servant was there to pick him up in the morning. Merynn’s eyes were bloodshot from reading all through the night, but he was ready for anything. Merynn strapped Xojok to his belt and followed the servant through a very complex series of turns and stairways. It seems like every elf here knows their way around here except for me! Merynn thought.

For the first time in a week, Merynn felt the cool breeze of the outside air and saw the trunks of trees. He had to admit, it was quite a change. A good one at that. The servant was gone. He was on his own. He looked around him, confused. He felt a tap on his shoulder and his heart skipped a beat! He turned around very quickly and he saw Vanya. Relief washed over him as he recognized her features.

“Hello,” she said, “I didn’t mean to scare you. I’m sorry.”

“Oh that’s fine. Where to?” Merynn asked.

“Follow me!” she said as she ran off.

Merynn had to sprint to keep pace with her. They darted between trees and hopped over brambles. At one point, they even jumped from tree-to-tree. Finally, they made it to their destination. Ellzemessa hung a great distance back, its branches, like claws trying to scrape the very top of the sky. They stood in a large clearing. It was about fifty feet by fifty feet and a perfect circle. It was built on a hill with a perfect view of the west where the sun would be eventually setting that night.

“How are your studies going?” She asked sounding like a perfectly normal person and not about to start beating on him with a sword.

“Very good, I just learned magic,” Merynn responded.

“Ah, you will probably learn very good and useful magic. Maybe even how to sift through peoples thoughts. But, if you want me to, I can teach you the kinds of magic better not talked about. The arcane forms of magic people learn behind closed doors. Would you like that,” she asked curiously.

Merynn did not know her intent. But he did not want to lose her friendship so soon. But would Sindil disapprove? Merynn thought. He had to answer or he would make himself look like a fool in front of Vanya. “May I sleep on it?”

Vanya did not seem offended or taken aback when she answered, “Why of course!” she exclaimed. “Let us get on with our duel that I promised you. I can’t leave you in the perfect condition you’re in now for too long now can I?” She taunted.

“Well, no time like the present now is there?” Merynn said as he drew Xojok of its sheath.

Ahhhhh. It feels so good to get out of there. Time to kill somebody now right? Xojok asked.

No! Why would you want to do that?! Merynn scolded.

Well she did threaten you… Xojok trailed off.

We don’t want to lose our one and only friend in Ellzemessa do we? Merynn said.

I guess not. The sword admitted.

Unlike before, they said a simple spell -- Berz -- to make the blade have a sort of invisible shield around it so they wouldn’t inflict mortal wounds to the other.

The two elves adopted a battle stance and waited for the other to make the first move. Merynn had learnt that he should not wait for her to move first, for he would be caught off guard. So, Merynn made one lunge at her followed by a strike to her abdomen. She easily parried the sword away and made an overhead slash at Merynn’s head. Merynn blocked the blow with the edge of his sword. The shock of the blow reverberated within his arm. They made simple cuts and slashes at each other until Merynn thought -- rather the sword thought -- of something ingenious.

A man -- or woman -- can’t fight without their arms now can they? Merynn thought. He made three slashes in rapid succession at her sword hand. She blocked two of them but the other hit her very hard and her sword toppled out of her hand. She lunged for her blade but Merynn was faster. He grabbed her sword and put the two at her neck.

“Mercy,” she said after taking into account that there was no way to win this fight.

“It appears that I have beaten you,” Merynn observed.

“Yes it does. Funny how an amateur swordsman like yourself, could beat a veteran swordsman like me. Could it be your sword?” Vanya asked.

“I believe so. It tells me what to do. It sends images into my head that shows me what to do. I think that is why,” Merynn admitted.

“Well, next weekend, I will get you a normal sword that I can train you with and you will learn the real expertise needed to stay alive in a battle of tooth and claw,” she said.

“I would like that,” said Merynn.

“It is getting dark out. Are you hungry?” She asked.

In truth, Merynn was very hungry, but he couldn’t locate any sort of food in the premises. “Yes I am hungry, but, where is the food?”

“We will sing to the bushes and the trees to give us fruits,” she said as if it were obvious.

“I have never sang to a tree before. Can you teach me?” Merynn asked.

“Why of course! Just turn to that bush,” she gestured to a stout little bush in front of him, “and repeat after me: O bush of plenty! Of beauty! Give to your son and daughter of nature, a small amount of your fruit!” She sang so beautifully it rustled the leaves and birds flew to her outstretched arms. It was as if the bush actually heard her and a cornucopia of berries was uprooted from the ground below.

“Vanya! That was beautiful! I’ve never heard anyone sing like that! Your voice is a true symbol of beauty!” Merynn complimented.

“Oh it was nothing,” Vanya blushed, “Let’s eat.”

They feasted off of the cornucopia and it never ran out. When they were down to the last berry, it filled up again. It did not only have just one kind of berry in it, it had every kind of berry possible. It had strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and much more.

After they were done gorging themselves, the sky was dark and the sounds of the bugs and animals were bountiful in the air.

“We should start heading back, before the timberwolves have a feast of their own,” Merynn cautioned.

“No. Stay here. I like your company and you. The timberwolves will not feast on us because we are in tune to nature and they are our friends and family. Lay here with me, please,” she pleaded.

Merynn looked into her dark brown eyes and it was as if the secret to the world was hidden in there, “I would never leave your side Vanya,” Merynn whispered very sincerely.

They lay down next to each other on the blanket of the forest floor. They were very quiet and Merynn was rubbing the small of Vanya’s back. She fell asleep on Merynn’s bare chest. When it was completely silent and the world was in a state of complete serenity, Merynn whispered into Vanya’s pointed ear: “I love you, Vanya.”

A smile creeped up on Vanya’s face and they fell asleep, tired from the days activities.

Merynn went back to the city the following morning with Vanya. He went to his room and finished the book. He found that of all of the random qualities he could ever have, he now like reading. He enjoyed it so much, that the next day, he asked Sindil for more, and more books.

“Well, it appears that I have inspired you. But first, tell me three things that you have learned,” stated Sindil.

“One,” started Merynn, “Albagron has had exactly one hundred and fifty-eight kings and twenty dynasties. Two, the elves were the first race to settle in Albagron. Three, there has been a blood feud with two dynasties in the humans for over six hundred years,” said Merynn out of breath.

“Good job. You can take some after training today. But, today you will learn about something called mind creeping,” said Sindil.

Didn’t Vanya say something about that last night? Merynn thought.

“Mind creeping is the art of looking into peoples’ thoughts and extracting information and discovering their intent, or next move. It is incredibly useful in a wizards’ duel or mages’ duel. It could save your life in the long run. It is called mind creeping because in the old days when magic was very rare among the elves, people thought that it was an invasion of privacy to have people sift through their deepest thoughts and inner being.

“Now, I will look into your mind. I want you to try and shield against my mental attack. I will try not to probe too far to embarrass you,” Sindil explained.

Merynn nodded, ready.

Merynn was not ready for the feeling of it. It felt like someone has inserted a live animal into his skull. It hurt furiously, and Merynn could see the memories that Sindil was watching. His childhood in Aeroshof. First going into Sindil’s house. Leaving to Ellzemessa. Hammering metal. It was horrible. Merynn tried to expel the consciousness from his mind, but it just wouldn’t get out.

Merynn’s face was pallid and he was breaking out in a cold sweat. He had a migraine and he felt weak.

“Merynn, that was a bad first shot. But, I didn’t tell you how to defend from a mental attack like mine. To defend against one, focus on one memory or image. Therefore, the attacker will only see that image. To expel them even further, try to scream at them. It will hurt very much and they will not want to go back into your mind. Now, I will try again,” Sindil clarified.

Merynn put up his mental defenses and Sindil began his barrage. It didn’t hurt too much anymore because of his newfound steel defenses. Merynn screamed at Sindil to go away. It was over as soon as it had started.

This time, Sindil was the one who was sweating. “Good job Merynn,” he said between heavy breaths. “Now, try to invade my defenses,”

Merynn shifted in his chair, uncomfortable of the idea.

“It’s okay Merynn, anything that we talk about in this room, stays in this room,” Sindil assured.

Merynn assumed he had to open up his mind to the world to go to another mind. So, he let memories and feelings get out of his being. He went to the Gap and focused on Sindil’s face. He let his consciousness spill over Sindil and he threw everything he had at his defenses. He discovered that Sindil once had a wife, but she died from the war. That led Sindil into a state of depression and drinking problems. That continued until Drake found him and got his act back together. He has been training elves in the art of magic ever since.

Merynn thought he was invading his privacy too much so he got out of Sindil’s mind and let his mental strength come back.

“Merynn, that was an exemplary performance. You are very auspicious. I do not need to train you any further in this subject,” Sindil complimented. “Grab whatever books you feel you want to read. Class is over today.”

Somberly, Merynn walked to the bookshelf and picked out titles that caught his eye. He was sad that class was over. He wanted to absorb as much as possible. In fact, he was only there for three hours.

He walked out of the room hovering three very large books in front of his body. he ran to his room, not wanting to run out of energy and pass out before he got there. He was hyperventilating by the time he got back. He set the books carefully down in the chest where the rest of his very few belongings lay.

He heard a commotion outside. Instead of going outside to see what was going on, he waited and used his enhanced hearing to listen in on the conversation.

“...is a threat to our entire race! he could kill us all with a single swing!” Screamed a man-elves’ voice.

“But he is our only asset. We will be pushed back into the forest and die without him. We need to keep him. I agree that he must die, but at the right time. at the right moment. Wait on it. Until the war is over, leave him be,” a different, womanly-elf voice said sternly.

They were both voices to people he had never heard before. To him, they were strangers. But, then again, who were they talking about? Merynn thought. They were being the executioner. Who has to die at the right time? Merynn was frantic. It might’ve been me they were talking about. Merynn thought grimly. Drake did say that I would make the elves win this brutal war if I pledged my allegiance to Orrenella. I guess it’s better to leave matters like this untouched. It will distract me from my training. Right?

Merynn laid on the bed and read a book without really reading it. In truth, he did think this matter was better to be pondered with Sindil. Tomorrow, he thought, I’ll talk to Sindil about this. He’ll know what to do. He thought with confidence.



 

Sindil sat at the table, stone faced. “Merynn,” He said. “What is the most destructive thing you know of.

“Fire,” Merynn said, without pause.

“Do you mean this fire?” Sindil asked, snapping his fingers and a small ember glowed above his hand. “Or this fire?” Sindil clapped his hands and a raging inferno burst up behind him. He clapped his hands and the fire was extinguished.

“The latter,” Merynn exclaimed, lacking any hesitation.

“Good,” Sindil said. “So now I will teach you how to conjure flame.” He yelled for Drake, who wheeled in a large slab of stone and propped it up against the wall. Sindil stood. He opened his palm.

Eldur!” He called, and a ball of spinning flame appeared in his palm. He flicked his wrist at the stone slab. The ball of flame shot out of his hand, collided with the slab, and was immediately replaced with a new flame.

“See?” He asked, closing his fist and extinguishing the flame. “Now you try. Remember: the word for fire is eldur. Oh, and, take care not to miss. The walls of the facility are not fire retardant. Not only would you burn down the entire city, but you would also kill a good chunk of the elven population in the process.” Sindil said matter-of-factly.

“Okay...” Merynn stood. Suddenly, Bruno fell from the ceiling, onto Merynn, and knocked him to the ground.

Hello! Bruno squealed.

Hello, Bruno. Replied Merynn, annoyed.

Let me help! Bruno exclaimed.

Let me try alone, first. Merynn accepted.

He stood again. Facing the stone he held out his palm. “Eldur!” a small flame burst to life in his hand. He flicked his wrist and the flame shot out of his hand and dispersed before it met the stone.

Okay, Merynn said to Bruno.

Merynn felt Bruno’s aura swell and the flame swelled to a larger size. He flicked his wrist again and the flame exited his palm and collided with the stone slab.

“Very good!” Sindil exclaimed. “You are dismissed from class today.”

Upon Vanya’s request, he met her at the same spot they had been to two nights earlier. When he reached the spot, Vanya jumped out of the bushes and tripped Merynn, letting the tip of her sword rest on his throat.

“Dead!” She proclaimed matter-of-factly.

“I submit!” Merynn groaned. Vanya laughed and jumped from her perch on his chest and onto the ground.

With a hiss, Bruno lept from the ground right outside of Merynn’s knapsack and collided with Vanya’s face. She toppled over, screaming with laughter.

Oh! Bruno cried out, realize who he had just attacked. Sorry!

“Bruno!” Merynn cried out, keeling over with laughter.

Bruno scampered over to Merynn and clambered up his leg. “What am I going to do with that hedgehog?!” Merynn exclaimed between laughs. He picked Bruno up and put him on his broad shoulder where he sat in complete comfort.

Merynn bent over to the bush where he believed that his sword fell. He was met with a pair of big, yellow eyes.

“Ahhhhhhhh! What kind of a monster is that?!” Merynn screamed and bounded in front of Vanya protectively; before the creature could cause any damage to her. It lunged out and Merynn saw the beast in full. It was the size of a porcupine and was covered from head to tail in smooth, black fur. It stood on four legs and, it rubbed up against Merynn’s leg and unleashed its vicious purr.

Vanya laughed, high and musical, “That is my animal, Visza. She is a cat. She is harmless. That is if she isn’t threatened by anything.” Merynn was still shell-shocked from the surprise visit of Visza. “Merynn there is nothing to be scared about. Come on, let’s go train,” she sprinted away into the clearing.

Merynn found his sword and ran back at her. She tackled him and they both fell into the crushed pine needles and dead leaves. They rolled around and laughed. Merynn stood up and stuck his sword to Vanya’s back.

“Dead!” Merynn exclaimed.

“Hey that’s not fair! I was laying here defenseless and you killed me!” Vanya complained.

“You did that to me when I was walking here!” Merynn retorted.

“Still, damsel-in-distress. I was on the ground, helpless and you thought you could kill me,” Vanya furtherly complained.

They settled on the fact that Vanya was indeed, helpless.

What a gentleman. Xojok said to Merynn via his mind. Merynn was still unused to the presence of Xojok’s consciousness and the random comments.

Later, they sat in silence perched high up in the tree they had climbed. She leaned against Merynn.

“Whoops,” Merynn proclaimed, and shoved her from the branch. She used her lightning fast reflexes to grab the branch and swing herself back up onto the branch and perch herself back next to Merynn. She leaned over and kissed him.

“C’mon!” She yelled and scampered back down the tree. That night, they laid in the soft moss under the tree, pressed up against each other as though one would run away in the night.

Bruno crawled from his perch on a tree and scampered down towards the sleeping couple. He crawled up onto their warm faces. He poked them and prodded them until he could find a comfortable position in which to sleep. He woke them up instantly and was sent off insincerely by the two.

“Bruno! Why would you do that?!” Said a furious Merynn.

“Oh he was just playing! My animal used to always do that to me,” said Vanya. And so they slept. It was not until the middle of the night until the wolf came.


 

It pawed silently up to the couple and stopped there, staring at them studiously. Merynn awoke with a start. The Wolf bared its teeth; shiny and bloodstained. The sight of it inflicted fear in the hearts of whomever was watching.

“Oh no,” whispered Vanya. Her face was blanched. “Not again.”

Merynn was confused. Vanya was obviously scared of whatever was standing not five feet in front of them. It was then that the wolf opened its mouth and unleashed a savage howl. It awoke everything in the woods. Wolves of every kind stood surrounding the circle. All of them had a sort of glazed over look in their eyes.

It opened its gaping maw and, spoke.  “Beware of the demon, born from an egg, cursed to hatch when the first human hands touch the sword of Darkness,” He trailed off on the last word. “And beware of Darkness: for it brings fire. Beware of fire: for it brings death. Beware of death: for it is caused by you.” The Wolf turned to look at Merynn on the last sentence. The words seemed inhuman. As if someone had pulled the speakers’ vocal cords taught.

The wolf took one last look at Merynn, then he turned away and walked into the night. Vanya and Merynn did not sleep. Instead, they whispered to each other.

“What did you mean by ‘not again’,” Merynn quoted.

“That wolf always comes bearing a prophecy. He is a sort of a Devil’s advocate. Usually something bad happens when He comes. His name is Riggr. The last time he came, he told us a prophecy. The prophecy rang true and our Queen at the time, died.”

“I’m sorry. What do you think he meant?” Merynn asked somberly.

“No one ever knows until it happens,” Vanya whispered without hope.

“Whatever he meant, we can be sure that nothing good can come out of it,” Merynn declared.

“For sure,” Vanya agreed.

For the rest of the night they slept in a fitful half-sleep. Never quite awake, but rather on the edge, always jolting awake from an ominous sound, or the others’ waking.

Tonight, Merynn glimpsed images of fire and a forest burning down and people -- elves -- screaming out in agony as they were burnt alive in their own home of harmony and peace. Merynn shed a tear as he was forced to watch the images play out before him.

Merynn could’ve sworn he had heard a laugh, inhuman and evil. It seemed like it craved blood and others’ misery. It invaded Merynn’s mind and injected him with these nightmares. This is all caused by you. The evil voice said in Merynn’s mind.

 


 


 

“Merynn!” Vanya pleaded, shaking him awake. “Merynn! Wake up!”

Merynn was on his feet in a flash. He grabbed her shoulders.
“What’s wrong?!” Merynn exclaimed.

“It’s on fire!” She was crying now.

“What’s on fire?” Now Merynn was pleading with her to explain.

“Ellzemessa!” A feeling of fear and shock overwhelmed Merynn. Together they took off into the woods and disappeared into the acrid smoke and ash began to fall from the sky. Screams of torment rang out through the otherwise silent forest. They did not notice the raven that flew south over their heads.

They covered their mouths and noses with their arms as they inhaled the foul-smelling smoke. It stung their eyes and burnt their noses, yet, they pressed on.

They saw the tree before they got there. It was in shambles. The outermost branches were falling off in large, half-burnt, clumps. The smoke covered the early morning sky, blotting out their view of the sun. Elves were hovering down onto the forest floor carrying dead or wounded elves in their arms. There was a pile for the dead already being made and filling up fast. Hundreds of elves were trying to stanch the fires’ growth with water magic. It was doing no good; the tree was simply too big.
“Merynn we must save more! The word for fly is levitima. Use it and let’s go, hurry!” Vanya screamed above the thousands of burning elves.

Levitima!” Merynn was suddenly lifted off of his feet and he let his consciousness guide him to the uppermost branches where it seemed like the fire had started.

Merynn immediately regretted his decision. He saw elves huddled in corners. He saw dead elves. He saw elves still alive, but burning, an elf inferno. He saw elves killing themselves, hoping to be relieved of their suffering. He saw elves whispering prayers and singing to the tree relieving it of its pain.

But worst of all, he heard the cries of the tree. Deep, ancient and hurt. It seemed to be on the verge of dying. Merynn felt it too. A deep throb in his chest, extending out to his fingertips and his smallest toes. His head hurt. He was getting dizzy.

He picked up several women and helped some men grab more. Losing a vast majority of his strength, he floated them down to elves waiting to tend to their wounds.

Merynn repeated this process several times until he could go on no longer. An elf woman reached out to him and grabbed his shoulder. He felt a ticklish sensation where she touched him. He felt his strength returning.

“You need it more than me. Go help the Queen!” The woman said as she rushed off to help more. Merynn couldn’t even thank her as she ran away too fast due to her enhanced speed and agility.

Merynn walked slowly to the tree and lifted himself off the ground. He darted from one branch to the next, trying to conserve his energy. He made it to the window of the uppermost floor -- the throne room -- and he crawled in. The Queen was sitting in the middle of the floor, a look of pure anguish on her face.

Merynn approached her and pleaded, “My Queen, we must leave now! The tree will burn down and you will perish! Please!”

“Merynn, I cannot leave. The tree was connected to me since the day I was coronated. I feel every hit, scratch and burn this tree feels. You… can’t imagine the kind of pain I am in. The tree dying is inevitable at this point. I am afraid I will fall with it. Go now, save the others,” She fell limp on the floor just as the tree unleashed a final cry of rage and pain.

Tear stricken, Merynn ran out of the room and flew down to the ground where almost all of the elves in Ellzemessa were standing watching their glorious home burn to the ground. He found Vanya and she searched his eyes for anything about their Queen. Merynn nodded and Vanya looked down. Merynn put his arm around her to comfort her, even though he needed some cheering up himself.

No sooner had Merynn put his arm around Vanya, that Drake found them in the midst of the crowd and called them over. They ran to his side and Drake said stone-faced, “I know why this happened and who did it.”

 

 

Drake was overwhelmed with a swell of questions: “Who did this?”

“Why?”

“How do you know?”

“Quiet!” Drake boomed over the sound of the burning tree. “Let me explain. Darkness did this. He wants his sword back.” Drake explained to the two of them why such misfortune had fallen upon them at such a bad time. “Now Merynn, as you know, I am an elf. Over the years, I have tried to control Darkness by handling certain relics of light. The relics are hidden in your chest. They are the little pendants and talismans.

“I have defeated him in battle and stolen his sword -- Xojok -- that you now have strapped to your waist at this very moment. And once more, he is awakening. I need one more relic to keep him at bay. The one I need -- The Talisman of Light -- can only be retrieved by traveling into the DreamRealm. It is possessed by the 8th Divine: Golau -- or... at least its at his shrine. But, the ancient scrolls of the elves tell that only someone who is eighteen, supposedly the last year of being able to use “the childrens magic” can travel into the DreamRealm. Conveniently, you are eighteen, and Sindil discovered the last of the potions with the ability to send someone into the DreamRealm. Once you drink the potion, you must fall asleep within 15 minutes or the potion will cause your body to incinerate. This will go down tonight. And as the stories of old have foretold:

‘It is everywhere, but nowhere.

It is all, but none.’

Merynn, you are our last hope.”

 

The potion tasted like roasted squirrel with the fur still on; bitter, and somewhat fuzzy. Merynn laid his head on a root and drifted off with Sindil and Drake at his side murmuring prayers of good fortune and goodwill

Merynn saw the ceiling one more time, then the world flashed bright white and then a hazy black and white picture appeared. He was still on the ground, so he got up.

“Drake?” Merynn asked. There was no response, so he reached for Drake. His hand passed right through. He jumped back. Then, he heard laughing from the corner. He looked and saw an elaborately dressed king, but everything he wore was white and he glowed a pale light, His eyes glowed white with a twinkle in them. When he walked, his footsteps left a ripple in the ground as if someone had disturbed the surface of the water on a cool, blue lake on a bright day.

“Are... Are you Golau?” Merynn asked suspiciously.

“Hmm? Oh... Yes,” Golau responded. “Welcome to the DreamRealm. If you are here, Darkness must be awakened. Let me help you find what you have come for...” He turned to leave the room.

“Wait. How did you know that Darkness was reigning?”

Golau let out an exasperated sigh. “Because thats the only reason anyone ever comes here! Now if you would follow me.”

This time, Merynn followed him out of the room. They traveled through the forest to the ruins of the torched tree. Everyone they passed was frozen in place, but they had no texture and you could pass right through them. Once they reached the ashes of the capital, Golau stopped and knelt by the only remaining root.

“Do you see this?” He asked.

Merynn nodded and knelt beside him.

Golau went on. “Inside this root is the talisman you are looking for. The talisman is at 1,000 different places at once. But as soon as you take this one, all the others disappear. Now, unsheathe your sword and cut open this root.”

As Merynn took out Xojok, shadow poured out of the hilt. Suddenly, Golau was screaming at him to put it back, so he did. Golau was breathing hard. He shivered.

“The sword of Darkness...” He mumbled. “Use this instead.” He handed Merynn a knife made of the purest light. Merynn took it and sliced it into the root, which cut too easily. Inside lay a small silver circle knotted onto a leather cord. On the worn surface was inscribed a torch, that seemed to be radiating light. Merynn took the amulet and the root re-sealed itself.

Merynn began to thank Golau, “Thank you O man of—"

Golau interjected, “Beware Merynn,” his eyes had taken on a milky haze, “of the shadows. Strange things lurk in dark places.” His eyes returned to their normal bright white color.

Merynn didn’t have time to contemplate Golau’s words because Golau muttered ‘Awaken’ and touched Merynn on the center of his forehead. Color rushed past Merynn and Golau disappeared.

 

Even though only about 40 minutes had passed in the DreamRealm, three days had passed in the real world. When Merynn awoke, Sindil and Drake were still sitting by his side.

“Did you get it?” Drake asked anxiously.

“No,” Merynn said. Drake and Sindil frowned. “But I know where it is.”

He led them through the forest just as Golau had to him. Finally, they reached the last root of Ellzemessa -- some miles away. Merynn asked for Sindil’s dagger and Sindil obliged. Merynn knelt and made one long incision down the length of the root. It peeled open as if Merynn was cutting paper. Merynn reached inside the root and pulled out the token. It was exactly the same as in the DreamRealm, except now the token itself radiated a ghostly light.

“By the Eight Divines!” Drake cried out. Both him and Sindil gave out a merry laugh. “Now it is time to save the world!”

The simplicity of it gave Merynn a feeling of uneasiness. It should not be this easy. Merynn thought. Drake reached out and as soon as his hand touched the talisman, the world shrank around them and warped.

When the warping subsided, they were in a different place. It was dark all around them. Gossamer wisps of smoke rose off of the ground. The only light in the room was the pendant that glowed more intensely as it tried to illuminate the enormity of the place.

“Oh no,” Drake muttered.

“What is it Drake? Pipe up!” Said Sindil.

“This is bad. This is really, really bad,” said Drake not answering Sindil’s question.

Finally, after many moments of silence, Drake answered, “The talisman Golau showed to you is fake.”

Gasps and accusations followed Drake’s outlandish statement. It couldn’t be fake! It glowed with the light of purity. Golau himself showed it to me. Could Golau be corrupt? Questions swirled around his head like a potter’s spinning wheel.

“The pendant is only but a key to a separate place. In our case, here. The elves call an object such as this a kelstern. If we wish to get back to the normal world, we have to find the pendant exactly like it.

“Unfortunately, I believe that this is the DeathRealm. Any living creature who enters has twelve hours to get himself out. If they fail to do this, they face a slow and agonizing death and a life filled with torment by the raptured souls who dwell here,” said Drake matter-of-factly.

“Well, there is no time to spare! Onward companions!” Cried Merynn frantically, despite their predicament and Golau’s disturbing words.

They walked for what seemed like hours even though it probably was several minutes, maybe even days. The times in the different realms were confusing and different than the time that Merynn was used to.

Several times, they thought they saw something that was bright and shined with the sun’s intensity. This turned out to be a rallying point for apparitions and phantoms. They were bunched up tightly and moaned with a grief so intense that it made Merynn shed a tear to hear it.

After several hours worth of walking and all seemed hopeless, Drake said to Merynn, “Let me see that talisman.”

Merynn took it off of his neck and handed it over to Drake. He wrenched it out of his hand and read it over in his head. “By the Eight Divines! I knew it! Written on the hilt of the blade -- in very small print that is almost illegible -- is directions from Golau. It says: I have proven that I am in fact evil and can do some very evil things to rather nice people. Well, now that I have landed you in the DeathRealm, I suspect that you would like to escape. You can’t expect me to just give you the answer blatantly can you? Well, expect the unexpected! I will, haha! Just point the blade downwards and say the following words: Silcasa darm blaka. Poof! you will be flown to the matching dagger. Good luck!

“Golau always did have a rather dry sense of humor,” said Sindil.

“We mine as well do it now. Time is of the essence!” said Merynn exuberant that they have found a way to escape the horrific abode of the DeathRealm.

Drake pointed the dagger in a downwards position and whispered the words. Enunciating on the hard-to-pronounce words of the elven tongue.

All stayed the same.

“Curse you Golau! You snake tongued fool!” Cried Drake in outrage.

All of a sudden, a great amount of noise erupted from the neverending room of death. Growls and cries of sick, bloodthirsty glee reverberated throughout the place. Merynn and his companions stood back-to-back-to-back circling the area around them. Merynn drew Xojok. The others drew -- or, in Sindil’s case, summoned -- their weapons.

The first foe walked out of the mist. His arm outstretched, he was a soldier garbed in a helm and sword. Armor hung off of his skeletal body in odd places. The first foe was followed by a second, followed by a third and so on.They were surrounded. Even with the might of Xojok they could not hope to overcome the horde that was around them now.

The leader of the group stood in the center in front of Merynn. He wore a pendant that glowed bright as the snow on a sunny day. He growled and stepped towards the trio. Despite having half of the bottom of his jaw gone, he spoke perfectly. “You have called upon us,” he motioned with the stub that he called an arm to the several hundreds of phantoms and skeletal warriors behind him. “Where is the talisman?”

“Ah… sir, well, I’m sorry for your, uh, misfortune that you have landed in such a horrible place to spend your afterlife, I send my condolences. Well, you see, my friends and I were in fact searching for the very same talisman! Well, seeing as how you are no longer alive and we are, can we uh, have the talisman and escape this godforsaken place?” Merynn said very quickly.

“Ah, well, if you wish to have the pendant, you need to send a sacrifice to us. A live sacrifice,” The leader said with what must’ve been his version of a smile.

Merynn’s face was ashen as he responded, “Will you give us a minute to… discuss this matter?”

“Well of course,” he replied.

“Guys, who will it be?” Merynn said.

“It obviously cannot be Merynn. He is the land’s only hope,” Sindil said.

“Yes, of course. It also cannot be me for the reason. You know Sindil,” Drake said trying to preserve his own life.

“Well then, I have walked this land for many years. I have enjoyed pleasures unknown to most. I have lived my life. Merynn, it was a pleasure serving with you. Drake, you were like a son to me. Merynn, I have not completed your training. The only way that I see fit is to transfer my memories to you. You will have memories of the most intricate spells and the whole knowledge of the elven tongue. Now, our time together grows shorter by the minute, goodbye,” Sindil said this all somberly and seriously.

Merynn and Drake were at a loss for words. Sindil touched his palm to Merynn’s forehead. A ghostly white light escaped from Sindil’s fingertips and swirling around Merynn’s head into his eyes and out his ears finally into his mouth.

Merynn was overwhelmed with a swell of memories that weren’t his. His head itched furiously and he wanted terribly to scratch at it, but he was afraid of intervening in the process. His body ached and he was suddenly tired.

The light stopped and Sindil stood there dumbfounded. “Who am I,” asked the now un-wise Sindil.

“Your name is Sindil the Wise,” answered Drake, “you are sacrificing yourself for the greater good.”

It sounded much better when Drake put it that way even though the gravity of the situation was much heavier.

“Am I then? Well, on with it,” Sindil answered obliviously.

Drake gently pushed Sindil towards the man -- skeletal man -- and Sindil did not protest.

When Sindil was a foot away from the man. The man touched Sindil. On contact, Sindils’s face crumbled into dust and was blown into the phantom’s -- abnormally wide -- open mouth. The rest of his body was reduced to no more than dust and swept into his mouth. The whole process appeared painless. Just like that, Sindil’s entire being was gone; blown off the face of Albagron.

They did not speak for there was no words to say. A somber mood took over Merynn.

The skeleton-man started to speak in a chilled, gnarled voice, “Well, I will hold you to my word. Here is the talisman…”

The skeleton-warrior didn’t have enough time to complete his sentence before Merynn quickly wrenched the talisman from his hands and touched it to the kelstern. Another gut-wrenching feeling overtook Merynn as his entire being was blown up into atoms and halves of atoms and then put back together again as quickly as a sword cut through a man devoid of armor.

Merynn dropped from midair and fell onto the ground. “Ugh, I have to…” a fresh wave of milky-white vomit escaped from Merynn’s lips and dropped onto the ground. Drake handed Merynn a leaf-bottle of water of which he recently drank out of in spite of feeling similar symptoms.

Merynn drank deeply and spat onto the ground. “Thank you. Where is the amulet?”

Drake held up the golden amulet -- the real one this time -- he also wrapped a cloth around it so his eyes weren’t blinded as easily as looking into the sun.
Merynn stood up slowly and looked around them. They were in the same place as when they first acquired the kelstern. Elves were staring at them silently, their eyes affixed to the place where Drake and Merynn stood. The feeling unnerved Merynn.

Vanya ran out from amidst the crowd, worry painted across her face. “Merynn there you are! We have been looking all over for you! You have been gone for three days!”

“We got ourselves involved in a predicament much greater than previously imagined,” answered Merynn.

“Okay,” she did not press Merynn for further explanation of what happened. “But, where is Sindil?”

Merynn slowly shook his head.

“Well, we may as well arrange a funeral for those who died,” said Drake somberly.

“Already done,” commented Vanya.

“Well, when is it?” asked Drake.

“Today, in one hour.”

“Well, Merynn go get your best clothes. Today, you will witness an elven funeral.”

Merynn did not change for all of his clothes had burned in the fire -- and were probably burning still at this moment. To make up for his dirtiness and grime, he went to the nearest river and bathed himself. He relished the icy waters of the river -- for Merynn was unsure of the name -- and sat in it for quite some time meditating. He opened his mind to the world beyond and sat rooted in place content at what was and what ought to be.

Merynn retrieved his tunic, sword, and leggings from the branch overlooking the river. He garbed himself in them and set off on the un-perilous journey back to the site of the Mother tree.

When he got there, elves were clustered around a large, circular area several hundred meters in length. In the middle was a podium with Drake standing atop it. Around him were the ashes and lifeless bodies of what Merynn assumed to be the dead of the fire.

Merynn walked to an open spot near a tall male elf and a shorter elf woman. They appeared not to notice him as he took his place next to them. Drake was talking in the language of the elves and Merynn, with his new memories, could understand him perfectly and did not even have to think.

“Today we are gathered together for reasons all too well known to us. Today is when we celebrate the dead and cherish the life that they held. Today we watch over the lives of each other that we arrogantly have. The deaths of these here can be used as a lesson...not to traipse through life haughty and under the impression that we will live forever.

“Now, I have gathered together to celebrate the Festival of Passover. Today we will raise our voices for all to hear and to pass the dead to the Void.”

The elves began to sway to and fro. They clung to each other as if their lives depended upon it. And they sang. They sang a song so somber and filled with sadness that Merynn began to cry himself. They sang high and low. They sang of death and of the life that was to come. Merynn was weeping. The song seemed to have a spell-like effect on everyone.

They stopped singing. The bodies began to disappear, one by one at first, but speeding up and more and more until all of the bodies were gone.

The elves sang out one more note, a high note. The ground shook and leaves from the trees drifted slowly to the ground. Suddenly, a wispy-white figure floated out of the ground and took shape. It was made of a kind of white smoke and had slight disfigurations in it such as: chunks missing from her jaw, and toes and fingers gone. But, there was no mistaking her as Queen Orrenella. Gossamer wisps of smoke trailed off of her as she spoke.

She started to speak urgently, as if she did not have enough time to say what she needed. “Merynn! Where are you?!”

“Here my queen,”

She walked -- or floated -- over to him, “You must defeat the kings! If you don’t… all is lost. They are being possessed by Darkness. If you do not kill the kings...the Old Ones will rise, the world will be broken.”

“The Old Ones? Wha-”

“There is no time for questions I have a short time as it is. Darkness feeds off of the kings’ energy and body until he has enough power to transfer himself into reality. They are his patrons to enter. He almost has enough power. You have three weeks to kill them. Oh no… I see the light!” Her voice faded but she continued talking. “Kill them, Merynn. Avenge me and the fallen!”

Her body blinked out of existence and all was silent once again. All eyes were on Merynn. Most people had their mouths agape and their eyes were wide open.

Drake came up behind him and walked him away from the scene. How am I supposed to do all of this in such a short amount of time? Merynn thought. The memories of Sindil came rushing to him and he embraced the full impact of them.

SIndil walked towards a fiery, dark arena. Torches were set at regular intervals along the walls. The sky was black and clouds covered the entire length of it. SIndil looked down at his bare feet and chest. He had no sword. His only weapons: his mind and his skill with the language of his kind. He looked back up and gulped.

The figure before him was as imposing as looking down at an army approaching you at full speed as you were tied to a wooden post with no weapon in hand. He was tall, maybe twelve feet. He looked to be a demon of sorts, all red and black. He had wings twice the size of himself and looked to be very thin.  His eyes were blood-red. His helm was made of blackened bone and spiked rose through the eyeholes of a black skull set into the center. His armor was made of the same blackened-bone -- although his only armor was greaves, a helm, quisse, and pauldrons.

His blade however was a different item of interest. It was about as tall as himself -- twelve feet. The pommel of his sword glowed a mystical red. The blade of the sword glowed on and off like a heartbeat. It had foreign runes written on the crossguard that Sindil could not comprehend. He held it like he knew how to use it.

He laughed. A low and fierce  voice. “Ah Sindil, a pleasure you could come. I have been watching you. You have proved to be a valiant man… although all of your efforts will be in vain after I am done with you.” He laughed again, it struck fear into Sindil’s heart.

“I am not afraid of you Karthuus, King of Darkness,” his words didn’t seem to be as confident as he wanted them to be. His voice faltered.

“The brave always do prove to be the most satisfactory to eat.”

Sindil ran at him. He yelled the word for water, “Aka!”  and water sprayed from Sindil’s hands and swirled into a tornado of water. It splashed into Karthuus and sent him reeling back, more so annoyed than harmed.

“Speak your spells boy! They do nothing to me! Thousands have tried to kill me, all of them have died. I am invincible!”

Sindil ducked as the blade cut across where his head had just been. It seemed like his superior speed and agility would be Sindil’s only advantage in this fight.

“Xojok will be the last thing you’ll see!”

Sindil repeated more spells for water. He sent spells of binding that had no effect on Karthuus. His strength was fading and Karthuus seemed to notice for he attacked with newfound vigor and determination.

“Must...keep...going,” muttered Sindil.

“What are you saying boy? Speak up so I can hear you."

Sindil had one last chance…

The memory ended there.

“Merynn! Mer-ynn!” Drake shook him by the shoulders as he yelled.

“What?”

“Okay. What happened to you?”

“Sindil’s memories happened.”

“Well, Orrenella’s… visit came as quite a surprise to us. She spoke of things that are quite true. I had no idea that we only had three weeks left. You seemed to be confused about the Old Ones?”

“Yes. Just what exactly are they?”

“They are the original creators of this world. They were constantly arguing and they wish to destroy the world that they made. There are very few stories about them, but there is an old tale: In the beginning, there were twenty. They each controlled a certain portion of the world. Karthuus, or Darkness was their ruler.

“Golau, the Warrior of Light, was Darkness’s only weakness. Golau, sent him into a prison of light. But, even in this prison of light, Karthuus could escape. Golau knew he wouldn’t always be there to stop him when Karthuus came into the world, so Golau crafted certain relics of light that could be used against him and throw him to the depths of his prison.”

“So, is that it?”

“Yes.”

“So, what’s the plan?”

“Siege Dûrgoth Castle -- the Castle of Smothbane -- and kill the kings.”

“Well, we have limited time. Let’s not let Sindil’s death be in vain!” Merynn cried.

“Agreed.”

Merynn bent down to pick up several scraps of dried blueberries. It seemed as if he were an old man with rheumatism. The stresses of the last day had put an enormous amount of stress and confusion on him.

           He transferred the berries into a leather pouch on the left side of his belt. He hefted his rucksack onto his back and set out to the train of oxen and pure-white Kolixic --a breed of horses in which the elves bred with magic and unicorns. They had wings on their backs to travel faster and they were truly beautiful. A rush of air made Merynn jump to the side faster than any normal man could ever have hoped to do in his lifetime.

            A dark figure rolled onto the ground kicking up dust and made a soft grunting sound. Merynn threw off his sack and reached for his dagger. He ran to the figure and reached around the wretch's throat and took off the cloak.

            It was a creature unlike any he had ever seen before. Its face was covered in gray wrinkles. It's eyes were small and bird-like. It seemed to be a victim of magic-gone-wrong. He punched it. The creature spit out a long line of what seemed to be blood; but it was black and greasy.

          "Who are you?!" Merynn demanded. When the creature did not respond, he punched it again. A groan emanated from deep inside its body.

          "I am a ssssservant," whispered the creature in a snake-like voice.

          "I will ask one more time...who are you?!" Merynn put a dagger to its throat

          "They call me Sssswayne. I have been sssent to kill you."

          "Who are you working for?" Said Merynn getting a little calmer knowing that the edge of a steel blade was up against his attacker's jugular.

          "The Dark Lord."

           That was enough information for him. A thud resounded in the morning air as a head rolled onto the ground.

          "Wha-wha-what happened?" Said Merynn rather scared and confused. "Why do I have blood all over my hands?"

          I turned your mind to stone and I controlled your body. You would not have killed that beast if I hadn't done what I did. Thought Xojok via mind.

         Try to limit the amount of times you do that please.

         Maybe.

       

 

        The burnt remains of the tree were picked clean of every last life giving resource and the cattle and Kolixic were ready for departure. Merynn saddled himself in a horse by the name of Fréldyn and rode alongside Vanya.

        "How are you this evening?" asked  Merynn.

        "Fine," she answered.

        "So...only one week until we get to the castle."

        "Yes, that is true."

         "Are you going to participate in the fighting?"

         "I am not one of your women who must stand back and let the men take the hits. I am a warrior. Of course I will."

        "Alright then. When we had our first lesson, you said something about Dark Magic. Could you teach me?"

        "Of course, why not?" she replied.

        "Great, when shall we begin?"

        "Tonight...when everyone else is asleep. I shall wake you. You needn't worry about bringing anything—just an open mind."

        The war train moved through a large field of tall grass that stretched up through their legs and got in the way. Leaves littered the path and a cool breeze flew threw the cool night air.

        "We may rest our weary feet here for the night!" shouted a high ranking elven advisor -- named Galathar who had taken over the Queen’s position until a new leader would be elected -- whose not-so-short-and-not-to-the-point speeches seemed to be erudite but everyone knew them to be mere claptrap.  

        Several spells were cast and a full fledged camp was set up complete with tents, fires, and a tavern to boot. Red wine was already flowing gracefully from a white-marble fountain set in the center of the encampment. The borders were fortified heavily with trenches set six feet into the soft earth and sharpened logs pointing out at irregular intervals. Watch towers were posted at each corner of the camp. Magical barriers were swirling around the camp in a crystal semi-circle. It seemed as though the elves had taken every safety precaution.

         Merynn rode his horse to a large tent close to Vanya's and was on the outskirts of the encampment, so, if need be—if they were invaded—they could get away with ease and not be congested in the mayhem that was sure to come in the center of the camp.

         He stabled his horse on a wooden pole that was positioned several meters from the entrance to his tent. Carefully, he took off his armor and sheath and laid them on the ground. He crept inside expecting a small, humble abode in which he could sleep in. What he got was beyond his expectations. It seemed to be a house. The wonders of magic had made the development of the house possible.

         When the canvas flap of the tent was opened, a four poster bed was visible in the back by a window overlooking a sparkling lake whose waters glowed iridescently in the setting sun. A thick bear's fur rug was spread throughout the length of the interior of the tent. Drapery made from golden threads hung by the windows. The inside of the canvas was a deep rich red and gold, designed in a complex pattern of interlocking crosses and what looked like vines. A chiefly maple-wood chest rested in the corner by the bed. Every piece of furniture seemed to serve a utilitarian purpose.

Merynn stepped out into the now dark and gloomy night. A furry figure swooped onto his face and clawed trying to get a firm grasp on his skin. Tingles of fear and thoughts cascaded into his mind like a waterfall. Ahhhhhh! What are you doing?! It’s me, Bruno!

Feeling slightly sheepish, Merynn reached on to his face and grabbed the ball of fluff off of his face. Blood was stained on Bruno’s fur. “Bruno, please do not do that again. That is the second time someone has jumped onto me unbeknownst to me.”

Sorry child.

Vanya came up from behind a tent and asked, “What happened to your face!”

With a frown, Merynn responded, “Bruno.”

“Aha, I see. Well, everyone is asleep. We must go now.”

Vanya led Merynn and Bruno to the outskirts of the camp closest to the lake.

“Give me your hand...er hands. I’m going to turn us invisible. If we want to get past the guards, we must be invisible. I was part of the team of spellcasters that cast the enchantments so I know how to bypass them.” Merynn obliged, and so did Bruno. “Ivises tra.”

Merynn looked down and nearly screamed. It was an unnerving feeling, not being able to see your body. It seemed as if he did not exist. A fresh wave of vomit came up from the depths of Merynn’s stomach. It was invisible as well.

Vanya touched Merynn’s hand. “Make haste, this spell costs me a sumptuous amount of energy.” She seemed to be fatigued already.

She darted past the watchtower and spoke the words for flying. Wind gusted past Merynn’s face as she glided up over the barricades, now without magical barriers. Merynn spoke the word as she had done. He immediately felt the familiar cushion of air beneath him. He guided himself past the watchtower and past the barricades.

A tap on his shoulder startled him. “Wha-wha-what?! Who goes there?!” He whispered frantically.

“It’s me, Vanya. Wow, you sure are a coward.”

“I’m not a...whatever.”

“Come, follow me. First I must put the barriers back up.”

She hummed several hymns in Elven and a blue barrier swirled around the camp and disappeared as soon as it had started.

Merynn’s body reappeared before him and relief flooded throughout his body. He poked and prodded himself several times to make sure it was all real. Luckily, he was there flesh and bone.

         After making sure he was alive, he took in his surroundings. They were in a large, ovular field. Tall grass rose up around their legs, swirling in between their feet as if it had a mind of its own. The silhouette of the camp stood in the backdrop towards the east. Mae flies and mosquitoes buzzed around above the groups’ heads, swooping down occasionally to bite and annoy them to the fullest extent. A full moon floated in the sky bestowing upon them the gift of moonlight. No one else was present except for Vanya, Merynn and Bruno.

“Before we start, are you absolutely sure that you want to learn this kind of magic?” asked Vanya suddenly sounding very serious.

“Yes, why not?”

“This kind of magic requires the full of your strength and may kill you. After learning this, you will never be the same.”

“Oh, well, if this is what it takes to defeat Karthuus...I will do it.”

“Well, then, time to start with the basics. This goes against everything elves stand for. It is called leaching in the humani’s tongue and lachus in our’s. It is the act of drawing life out of one living thing so that you may live longer and have more energy. Now, I will demonstrate.”

She closed her eyes. A green aura spread throughout a space of about five meters. Everything inside it, or around it, died instantly. Her eyes opened. The aura disappeared immediately.  The grass was disintegrated around her. She appeared to be completely rejuvenated and healthy.

          "These kinds of activities are incredibly invasive. I shall not try this again unless absolutely necessary," she said slightly sad. "Now, you try."       

          "Aight, here goes." Merynn sucked in a deep breath and entered the Gap. It welcomed him like a long-lost loved one. Power surged within his veins and energy through his capillaries. "What are the words?" Merynn asked.

          "You needn't say anything, just think it and that action will happen."

          He swept his hands over his head and unleashed a surge of energy upon the grass before him. Surprisingly, the spell ended in several short seconds and he ended with more energy than he started the spell with. The grass around him was non-existent. Dead birds swooped down from the sky, limp.

“That, that’s horrible! Why would I use this?” Merynn screamed indignantly.

“You use this only during times of the most desperate need when your strength is about to fade and all would be lost. Trust me, I feel their loss as well. When you do this, try to project your thoughts outwards towards the animal in its last dying breaths. Whisper words of wisdom and comfort and hopefully, it will die in peace.

“I believe that you have mastered this sort of magic. Now, onto the next one. This is one of the more dark arts,” she said gravely. “It will allow you to gore anyone within your sight at the saying of a single word.

The word...No, I must write it down. Even I have not mastered this art yet. Also, I am scared that I will kill you.” She took a felled leaf from a tree and wrote a word in small print and in the elves’ runes. She bequeathed upon Merynn the leaf. Wrote upon its thin membrane was a single rune. It embodied all of the hate the elves had had for their enemies. It told the tale of the killing of many.

“I...will not use this. Tis to gruesome,” Merynn said, staggering between words.

“This will kill any man short of a god. Karthuus will not die from this. He will lose strength but he will not die. The Relics of Light will be your only hope in killing him once and for all.” Vanya explained softly.

“If-if, if my life is extinguished in the fight-that-will-determine-the-fate-of-the-world, will you finish the job, and...move on?”

“Of course,” Vanya said sweetly.

Slowly, they advanced towards one another and embraced each other warmly. Merynn touched Vanya’s face with the palm of his hand and moved his mouth towards Vanya’s. Their lips touched.

“We should go, it’s getting late. We have a long day of travelling tomorrow,” Merynn proposed.

“Of course,” she replied.

Sleep: a supposed monotonous period of time in which a person sleeps. But tonight was not a normal night. Tonight, it seemed as though a prophet had spoken through Merynn’s head via a dream. Perspiration rolled off of his head in thick beads onto the wool pillow.

The horrid scene laid out in the asylum of his mind was an advancing army, 1,000 strong. The warriors were wearing black, ragged cloth. Blood was spattered across their faces, clothes and weapons. They were a mix of races: orcs, humans, and dwarves. Skulls and other various body parts were arrayed around their bodies. Prisoners of war were in cages and looked deprived of food and water. Fear was lit in their eyes like the burning embers in a fire.

They were in a field heading towards a crystal clear lake off in the distance some miles away. A camp was there.

Merynn awoke with a start. Could that? Could that be us that they are heading too? He thought.

I believe so. If what you saw was real, we are in for a very unwelcome surprise. Xojok replied.

Not wanting to miss out on any sleep, Merynn let the tight embrace of unconsciousness grab him and hold him.

 

The following morning, they awoke to a bright-red sun peeking over the mountain cliffs and shining onto the lake reflecting it with a glowing-orange color, shimmering in the warm sun. A picturesque view for all of the elves to marvel at. Their almond-shaped eyes’ pupils dwindling to the now changing brightness of day.

Merynn stopped looking at the beauty of the lake and walked over to Galathar’s tent. More important matters were at stake.

“Galathar,” Merynn began, “Your route to the castle has ended in folly!" He proclaimed.

"Why do you say this Merynn son of Gregor?" Galathar said questioningly.

           "You have failed to scout out the area. You were arrogant enough to believe that no one would resist the might of the elves! Now, an army of 1,000 soldiers is approaching as we speak. We are destined to die. What are you going to do: advance and approach the upcoming force, or run away like the coward you are?”

“This is heresay to me. I haven’t the prodigious mind  to understand how this could’ve possibly materialized on our own turf. Blasphemy! I say. We shalt storm their beaches and plunder their storage. Pillage their village! Wait...you labeled me a coward? How dare you? I am your supreme commander, your ruler, your temporary king, I shall burn of you. Make you my ash tray. But, there is no time. Antagonist swines are approaching. Wipe away we will of the foes.” Galathar rambled.

Merynn walked out of the room without excusing himself. That man is quite a character. He rambles like the elderly of Aeroshof. Merynn complained. It would be a hastily made friendship, but a useful one. It would be good to ally with him.

Suddenly, a whistling sound whined out of the blue. That is quite a nice sound. He observed.

Get to shelter! Xojok yelled.

Merynn, not wanting to die, or get yelled at any further, took heed of Xojok’s warning. He sprinted to the closest building and ran inside.

Those are arrows I heard. Xojok explained.

Cries of agony erupted from the throng of elves outside.

They are attacking.

 

The author's comments:

Insert footnote at the bottom of the page where the word "Orcralcag" was shown. It is the orcs' word for captain or leader.

  "Ready the weapons of war!" Shouted a man from the attackers' side of the fight. Three large catapults rolled their way from the back of the attacking men. People were already in the process of loading it with flaming balls of oiled linen and large rocks.

           The attacking men and dwarves were clad in red and black mail vests that gleamed as if someone had cut open themselves on the mail and let their blood drip onto it. Their faces were hidden from view by a metal face mask and helmet made of the same material as the mail and the same color as well. The mask was a sheet of black cloth and the helmet, metal.

           The orcs on the other hand armed themselves with wooden clubs and sharp rocks. They were ugly and warts covered their faces. Many grotesque featured covered their bodies and the sight of them inspired fear in anyone facing them. They rushed the barricades as if they weren't there. The magical barriers all disappeared as they sprinted full tilt at the encampment.

           "The barriers! They should be blocking them off!" Yelled Merynn.

           "Well don't just stand there, let's go gut some pigs!" Yelled a man running past him with a sword twice his height. He seemed like he knew how to use it.

           Not wanting to be gutted like his enemies were soon to be, he strapped on his greaves, mail shirt, hauberk, helmet and unsheathed Xojok. Once again, he felt the familiar rush if energy flowing from the sword. I can die today. I can die today.

           Don't do anything stupid and you won't die.

           And that's coming from someone who died in battle.

           I was drunk.

           A woman was fending off three soldiers by herself and was just about to behead two of them in a chop when Merynn realized it was Vanya.

           "Vanya!" Merynn yelled out loudly to her.

           "This isn't exactly the most perfect timing Merynn!" She called back. The attacking men were dispatched as soon as she uttered those words.

           "Well, sorry about the imperfect timing. But, we need to help our people and fend off this attack."

           "That would be the most logical thing to do. Very self-explanatory if you ask me."

           "Well, let's go kill some people."

           Immediately, a pack of orcs met them at an intersection of tents. They smiled as the monsters saw their next potential meal before them. The largest of the pack, about 7 feet tall and very heavy-set. He seemed very imposing.

           "Save us the trouble of fighting and surrender your weapons puny elves," said the orc plainly.

           "We shall be cooperative," answered Merynn.

           "What are you...? Ah, I see," whispered Vanya thinking that Merynn was leading her into doom.

           "Here are our only weapons," he set down his and Vanya's swords. "You can now dine on us in the finest of venues and we will taste most delectably to meet your innermost desires," said Merynn persuasively.

           "I don’t know what you just said...but I am going to eat you now,” grumbled the Orc in a cross between common-speech and the Orcs’ gnarled, incomprehensible, language known as Grun’gurl.

 He advanced quickly and raised his club in the air. Before he could strike a killing blow, Merynn yelled out two words: “Sadyk liftis!” The club was taken out of his hands leaving him open-mouthed.

“What is this magic elf?!”

“Malmis!” Vanya shouted.

The large Orc dropped dead before his groups’ feet.

“How dare you kill our Orcralcag?” The orcs demanded.

Quickly, Merynn dashed and grabbed his shield and sword. He ran up to the first orc he saw and bashed him in the face and stabbed his gut in rapid succession. An orc ran to smash in his sword arm but he grabbed the clubsman arm and, using his own force against him, pulled the brute into the sharp point of Xojok.

Looking around, Merynn realized that Vanya had slain the other three orcs herself. Black, blood was smeared across her sword, face and body. It looked surprisingly attractive.

“Well, I we should move on, kill more. I fear that the camp may fall,” suggested Vanya.

Merynn nodded and began to run swiftly down the path towards a large group of men fighting elves who looked as though they were losing the fight. An elf was focused down and slain before their very eyes. Filled with the fury of his own kind being eradicated, he sprinted towards the desecrators and joined his kind in the fight for their lives.

Using the swords’ powers, Merynn summoned a hail of flaming stones upon the humani’s bodies. It seemed to have little effect for they wore thick, metal armour. Enraged, he swept them aside with winds that had the force of a tornado. The men flew thirty feet into the air. Merynn held them their with the levitating spell. Using the sword again, he threw them to the ground breaking bones and killing.

“Thank you,” breathed a woman-elf.

“No problem,” replied Merynn.

Arrows continued to rain down from the sky like a meteor shower. It seemed as if all hope was lost. Merynn ran towards the sheer wall of rock, knowing that if he could make it, he would be safe, as the arrows could not reach him. He made it, and pressed himself against the wall. He saw Vanya running towards him. He smiled despite the chaos. She did not smile back. He ran into him, smashing him into the wall. She drew a short dagger from her sleeve, pressing it against his throat.

"You cannot kill him, you cannot, you canno...." Vanya screamed, trailing off at the end, her eyes a milky glaze. She blinked, and her eyes returned to their normal self. "Gods above," she wept. "Possessed. He possessed me! Smothbane possessed me from... Hundreds of miles away!"

Drake rushed at them greeting them with a nod.

"Merynn," he said. "We need you to kill the last orcs, and they are circled up, back to back. You must use magic."

Merynn nodded. He walked slowly towards the group. All was quiet. The orcs noticed him, and each notched an arrow.

"Fousee," Merynn muttered, flicking his wrist at the orcs. They froze solid. "Eldur," he muttered again. The sheer heat caused the frozen orcs to rapidly expand, bursting into pieces. Bits or frozen Orc rained down on the depleted ranks of soldiers. The rank smell of death hung in the air like clothes put out to dry.

"How many?" asked Merynn to Drake.

"'Tis estimated at more than nine hundred of us, two thousand of them. The survivors have retreated. We have men chasing them."

"We will learn from this day. Arrogant we were."

"Agreed."

"We leave tomorrow at dawn. We shall reach the castle and breach it come nightfall," stated Merynn.

"That seems bold...but I agree, we must finish this."

It was at night that they arrived at the castle, and at night that they must enter. The castle was well fortified. Blood-red banners with the symbol of Smothbane -- a viper eating its tail -- hung down the black brick of the castle. Skulls lined the mortars of the castle inspiring fear into the hearts of all who passed. There were only several windows and two entrances: a small, subtle slave's door and the main door -- a large, oak door  with a moat in front of it. Crossbows were set at intervals along the arrow slots for archers. It was an imposing thing, but it could be broken into.

They had formulated a plan. They would disguise themselves as slaves, get caught by an Orc, and be led through the Slave Gate, lovingly nicknamed The Gate to Doom, as all that entered, never came out.

The first part of the plan went well. They were hauled inside to a holding cell. All their weapons were confiscated. Then things began to go sour. They were taken by an armored Orc up a long flight of stairs. They had know idea where they were going. Suddenly, bright light tore through the gloominess of the staircase. Just as they had planned and prayed against, they had entered the throne room.

The lead Orc walked up to the throne, occupied by a shadow. A boom echoed as the shadow formed into the ominous figure of the king, clad in all black, an obsidian incrusted crown on his head.

"Master," called the Orc, bowing his head. "This one smells of Aeroshof. And he looks like the one we were hunting."

"Very nice," boomed a disembodied voice that seemed to come from the king, yet he did not move his mouth and it echoed around the entire room."Finally, we...meet. It has been a long journey, you have eluded me every time I have tried to kill you, but it shall end here!"

He uttered a deep moaning call. The space in front of him turned all black and Darkness materialized in front of him. Darkness marched slowly, purposefully towards Merynn. He drew out his sword -- or was it Merynn's? -- and leveled it at Merynn's chest. He pulled back his sword arm, preparing for a vicious stab. Instead, a blast of wind threw Merynn onto the black-marble floor. The wind was knocked out of his lungs and he was struggling to regain his breath. Darkness floated over to him, growing larger by the second. The vision he had seen from his memories was true, except he was a lot bigger and he seemed more confident.

"Boy, you shall not kill me. After all of these years of preparation to end this war they send a boy to end it?! Haha! Fools!" He took another stab at Merynn and a cone of blisteringly hot fire shot off burning Merynn's eyebrows and eyelashes.

It was time to fight back. There was no way he could kill this demon with his own power; he was simply too strong. With quick thinking, Merynn threw the amulet on the ground, praying Drake was right and it wasn't fake. It wasn't fake, as it turns out. A ray of Golau's light pierced the ceiling, dissipating Darkness' essence. He seemed to be in a great amount of pain.

The voice laughed.

"No matter," proclaimed the voice. "It seems you did not know Darkness laid eggs?"

A horde -- no, a swarm -- of darkness clones seethed from the ground. They coiled and whirled as one mass. They slowly fell downward, forcing Merynn to his knees, enveloping him, dragging him into the ground to where unspeakable horrors awaited his arrival.

It was a speck, no larger than a marble. Then a ball, just the size of the inflated pigs' bladders Merynn played ball with as a kid. Then a sphere, about the size of a cow. Then a glowing sun hundreds of times bigger than our own. It enveloped the whole castle -- no, the whole world -- in blinding white. And at its center, none other than Golau, pulsing with light, and in a full suit of golden armor. The children of Darkness were sucked in. The king was not. He reached behind his throne, grabbing a bow, coursing with the strands of Darkness. One moment the arrow was notched, the next it was embedded directly in Golau's chest. He fell to the ground, his aura dissipating. The king notched another arrow, letting it fly, bound for Merynn's chest. This time, it was Bruno who saved him, leaping in front of the arrow, killing him on contact. The nexus between his and Merynn's mind fading. Merynn held Bruno close to his chest letting his rage and sorrow pour into his magic, he screamed the word. He screamed 'Eldur'. The castle imploded stone shards flying everywhere, completely obliterating the castle. Merynn and Drake passed out.

It was sunset when Merynn awoke in the crater of a long-gone castle. He sobbed when he saw Bruno. Limp. Dead. Magic, he decided was the only answer. But he didn't have enough strength.

"Use me." Drake said solemnly, seeming to read Merynn's mind. Merynn had never thought of using someone else for magic. But he agreed. Placing one hand on Drake and one on Bruno, he began to mutter the enchantment for life. As Bruno became revitalized, Drake began to loose his life. Once Bruno was able to help Merynn with magic, and Drake was almost dead, Merynn stopped.

"I cannot let you die!" Merynn yelled angrily.

"You must...there is no other option," rasped Drake.

His face was pale and his forehead sweaty.

"I have lived a good life. But, there are many secrets that I have left hidden to you. I have kept them from you for your own good. You couldn't ," he coughed and blue blood trailed out of the corners of his mouth. "L-l-live with yourself of I told you."

"Tell me!" Merynn begged.

"Your father...he is King Garyn, the man who summoned Darkness. The man who ruled the land with tyranny. He never loved you. He...he planned to assassinate you out of the castle the day you were born. Your mother, she loved you very much. She took you out of the castle, and rejoined her kind, putting you in my hands in the village of Aeroshof."

"Lies! This cannot be!"

"Here, a picture of him."

It was ash covered and blood stained, but the face was there. He looked like an older version of Merynn.Stubble covered his cheeks and a smile was apparent on his face. Next to him was, a woman. It was, the late Queen. Orrenella. She had a ring on her finger. Her hand grasped Garyn's.

"She is...my mother?"

Drake slowly nodded his head, "and mine."

"Your my brother!?"

"Yes, I am a total of fifty years older than you. She married an elf, my father. He died in the war with the dwarves and humans. That was when she met Garyn. She loved him. They had a son and a daughter, your sister, soon after their marriage. That son was you."

"No, no, no! I cannot lose you!" Merynn began screaming spells of healing frantically and desperately. The wounds were too grievous to heal.

"Goodbye," Whispered Drake. His last word ever to be said.

The broken remains of the castle were spread around them as if it were a gravesite. Bruno cried several tears onto Drake's body they swirled around and condensed into an image; It was Garyn. It seemed to be saying something. I am sorry...I am sorry...I am sorry over and over again.

Merynn laid on Drake's chest, weeping tears of sorrow, and loss.

 

Several hours passed by and it was morning once again. Dry tears stuck to Merynn's face. Search parties roamed the broken remains of the castle looking for them. Empty inside, his will broken, Merynn stood and walked towards the calling voices.

"There you are! I was thinking dark thoughts that you were dead! How wrong was I?" Vanya stated gratefully. "What is wrong?"

"He is dead."

"Who?"

"Both of them: Garyn and Smothbane. They summoned Darkness but I killed them."

"Great! we are safe once again! But, where is Drake?"

"He has died as well," monotonously Merynn said these words.

"I am sorry, this is a great loss for all of our kind."

Merynn said the shortened version of how Drake died.

"We will have to rebuild. This entire kingdom. It will not be easy but we will. We cannot have just one ruler. From one race, it will be a member of each race to rule this kingdom and none shall war," Vanya and Merynn said together

The sun was setting as Merynn walked into his hometown of Aeroshof. It had been 10 -- or was it 11 -- years since Merynn had seen the little town. The Jarl walked out of the keep, as the sound of trumpets heralded Merynn’s arrival. He and Vanya walked hand-in-hand. They laughed merrily as Merynn’s little sister, who was 17 now, barreled out of their neighbor's thatched roof hut and jumped on Merynn, hugging him mightely and hurling words of praise. Merynn and Vanya were engaged and decided to have their marriage in Aeroshof.

It was the next day when they were formally wed. The bouquet was thrown and, who caught it. None other than Bruno. As heroes -- and rulers -- of the kingdom, they had requested that a solid marble castle in the crater of Dûrgoth. At the closing of their wedding party, Merynn had something to announce.

“Everyone,” He called. “I have something to say. A castle was built, mighty and strong it is. And everyone in Aeroshof is invited to live there. You can stay here if you want, but life in the castle will be happy, and an army is waiting to protect us. It is your choice. But be aware, something else awaits.” Everyone tensed. “Vanya is expecting a baby,” He concluded. “Good evening.”

 

Everyone accepted Merynn’s invitation.


 

The author's comments:

like the dedication page, this is completely optional to put in.

Both Max D and Everett V live in Waukesha county, Wisconsin. They both attend Butler Middle School, and are (currently, as of 2014) in seventh grade. Max has Mr. DeMarais and Everett has Ms. McAteer. Both boys are interested in reading, writing, math, and video games. Everett wants to be a mechanical engineer or a physicist and plans to attend either UW Madison or MIT’s School of Engineering. Max wants be be a combustion engineer or astrophysicist  and plans to attend either Cornell University or Marquette. Max and Everett both have one brother (respectively) Luke and Brennan. The boys love the ‘Eragon’ series (by Christopher Paolini) and the love of the series fueled the creation of this book.

 
 
Preferences
§
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
-
=
Backspace
 
Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]
 
Return
 
 
capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\
 
shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
,
.
/
shift
 
 
English
 
 
alt
alt
 
 
Preferences



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.